PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin hires new strength coach for Steelers

AZ_Steeler
01-31-2007, 04:39 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07031/758257-100.stm

Wednesday, January 31, 2007
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin has hired former Tampa Bay strength coach Garrett Giemont to be the team's new conditioning coordinator, replacing Chet Fuhrman.

Giemont was the Buccaneers' strength coach in 2003 and 2004 when Tomlin was the team's secondary coach. Previously, Giemont worked eight seasons with the Oakland Raiders (1995-2002) and was strength and conditioning coach for the Los Angeles Rams from 1983-1991. He was also director of physical development for the Chicago Cubs from 1992-94.

Giemont was named the NFL's strength and conditioning coach of the year in 2002. Fuhrman, 55, who had worked with the Steelers since Bill Cowher's first season in 1992, was the NFL's strength coach of the year in 2005.

Not quite sure if this is an upgrade or a downgrade especially since they both have been strength coach of the year but Fuhrman was most recent! :dunno:

Koopa
01-31-2007, 04:41 PM
now he needs to hire a shoe guy so our guys won't slip more then the other team when we play at home

BlackGold4vr
01-31-2007, 05:23 PM
All the scouts were clamoring all week at the senior bowl about how strong the Nebraska players were! They were clearly head and shoulders above everybody else in the weight room. I am not really after Nebraska's coach I just thought that those comments really showed what a significant position this is on a teams staff! You really need one of those GNC "pill poppin" muscle heads that know something about strength training! This person should not only be knowledgeable in strength training and nutrition but should also be a highly motivated person who can get players excited about pumping iron! I have never been to nebraska (may have driven through it) for any length of time but the alternative to lifting weights is.........watching the corn grow?

:beer3:

Captcoolhand
01-31-2007, 05:29 PM
Well, that does it for the BC error:yesnod: All of Bill's staff have been replaced.:2cents:

BB2W
01-31-2007, 05:30 PM
The man moves quick. :yesnod:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-31-2007, 05:37 PM
I don't see the point of replacing Chet, the guy's been around forever and our guys have always been in top physical condition ?

Tomlin knows something we don't I suppose and maybe there's more behind the scenes issues that went into this, but I hate to see Chet leave, everything Ive ever heard about him was that all the players like him alot and he did a first rate job.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-31-2007, 05:50 PM
Maybe Chet wanted to move on? Thats what sucks as just being fans we never really get the inside scoop.

K Train
01-31-2007, 06:57 PM
All the scouts were clamoring all week at the senior bowl about how strong the Nebraska players were! They were clearly head and shoulders above everybody else in the weight room. I am not really after Nebraska's coach I just thought that those comments really showed what a significant position this is on a teams staff! You really need one of those GNC "pill poppin" muscle heads that know something about strength training! This person should not only be knowledgeable in strength training and nutrition but should also be a highly motivated person who can get players excited about pumping iron! I have never been to nebraska (may have driven through it) for any length of time but the alternative to lifting weights is.........watching the corn grow?

:beer3:

i was gonna say the huskers stenth coach is supposed to be good

Ambridge
01-31-2007, 07:02 PM
I don't see the point of replacing Chet, the guy's been around forever and our guys have always been in top physical condition ?

I don't see the reasoning either for letting Chet Fuhrman go.

Who does Tomlin and the Rooney's give the Ax too next?? I know!!
Mean Joe Greene is a Special Assistant for the Steelers-Pro and College Personnel...........and represents a threat to Tomlin's staff.

Joe is gone.:bluelol:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-31-2007, 09:09 PM
This is the stuff that makes me just :scratch: and say it makes no sense ! I could see if our guys were burger pounding flunkies who ran the 40 like Jamain Stephens but damn :lol:

K Train
01-31-2007, 09:11 PM
i dont really think this is a big deal at all, tomlin likes this guy better, who cares?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-31-2007, 09:18 PM
Just because we're fans and we wonder why a move like this was needed in the first place. But then again we're not the guy making 7 figures who was just hired to replace a legend, who replaced a legend.

BBG7
02-01-2007, 09:17 AM
I don't see the big deal. Tomlin thinks this guy will do a great job, and he has a great resume. Plus, like people have mentioned already, we as fans don't get the entire story, which sucks but we can't really judge if we don't know why the move was made.

Iron City South
02-01-2007, 09:01 PM
This move comes straight from Leadership Strategies #101 - When a new leaders comes in, the shake-up must be swift and severe to produce the intended results. This means even some of the better coaches must be let go in order to rid themselves of any old habits or "comfort zones" that were part of the part of the previous administration. This sends a message to the players that "there's a new sheriff in town and he has new expectations"

Players will come in highly motivated to impress .... bet it.

Lots of psychology associated with moves like this. . .

Black@Gold Forever32
02-01-2007, 09:38 PM
This move comes straight from Leadership Strategies #101 - When a new leaders comes in, the shake-up must be swift and severe to produce the intended results. This means even some of the better coaches must be let go in order to rid themselves of any old habits or "comfort zones" that were part of the part of the previous administration. This sends a message to the players that "there's a new sheriff in town and he has new expectations"

Players will come in highly motivated to impress .... bet it.

Lots of psychology associated with moves like this. . .

Nice post and I agree.:bigthumb:

SteelerNation
02-03-2007, 02:10 AM
Giemont was the Buccaneers' strength coach in 2003 and 2004 when Tomlin was the team's secondary coach. Previously, Giemont worked eight seasons with the Oakland Raiders (1995-2002) and was strength and conditioning coach for the Los Angeles Rams from 1983-1991. He was also director of physical development for the Chicago Cubs from 1992-94.

Giemont was named the NFL's strength and conditioning coach of the year in 2002. Fuhrman, 55, who had worked with the Steelers since Bill Cowher's first season in 1992, was the NFL's strength coach of the year in 2005.

He sounds good to me but then again we will never know how any of this new staff will do so i will give Giemont a chance to prove him same with tomline etc...

But to be named NFL's strength and conditoning coach of the year is pretty big. But then again so was Fuhrman so all we can do is hope that this new hire works out ......:crossfingers:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2007, 07:41 AM
This seems to me more of a lateral move than an improvement; which is not a knock on either Furhman or Giemont but simply appears to be Tomlin just wanting somebody different for the job.

As long as our players are in top physical shape and perform at a high level every week conditioning wise, and don't get in trouble with anything they shouldn't be taking; that's what we want from our strength guy.