PDA

View Full Version : Will any or all of these players be cut?

ChucktownSteeler
12-24-2012, 12:53 PM
I think any or all of the following could be gone next year:

Foote, Hampton, Burress, Mendenhall, Wallace, Keisel, Troy, Mundy, Legursky, and Ike.

Pretty exciting seeing Cortez Allen getting experience and actually holding on to interceptions.

Thoughts?

C-town

TarlsQtr
12-24-2012, 12:59 PM

Foote, Hampton, Burress, Mendenhall, Wallace, Keisel, Troy, Mundy, Legursky, and Ike.

Pretty exciting seeing Cortez Allen getting experience and actually holding on to interceptions.

Thoughts?

C-town

No way Ike will (or should) be gone. He is the best CB on the roster and you need at least three good ones to keep up with the throw happy teams these days.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Foote, Hampton, Burress, Mendenhall, Wallace, Legursky, Mundy, are Free Agents...

Troy has a 10 mil cap hit, cutting hit would create close to 5 million in cap space... (with around 5 mil in dead money)

Keisel has an affordable 4.5 cap, cutting him would save around 3.... not sure why we'd do that since he showed this year that he's got plenty of game left.

Cutting Ike would save around 2.5 in cap space... not sure it's worth it

Crash
12-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Foote, Hampton, Burress, Mendenhall, Wallace, Legursky, Mundy, are Free Agents...

Troy has a 10 mil cap hit, cutting hit would create close to 5 million in cap space... (with around 5 mil in dead money)

Keisel has an affordable 4.5 cap, cutting him would save around 3.... not sure why we'd do that since he showed this year that he's got plenty of game left.

Cutting Ike would save around 2.5 in cap space... not sure it's worth it

Add Ben to that list.

Zachintosh66
12-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Add Ben to that list.

riiight *rolls eyes*

steelersbabex25
12-24-2012, 01:56 PM
If you think they're going to cut any of those long time vets you are out of your mind. The Steelers don't operate that way. I was more shocked than I'd ever been to see them cut Ward.

Big T
12-24-2012, 01:59 PM
Again, like I've been saying for years, the NFL salary cap is a joke. You can restructure any big contracts we have and significantly lessen their cap hit. People say, that's just pushing the problem to next year... Guess what? Restructure again lol.

LastRide
12-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Kenaan Lewis is a free agent. If the Steelers don't resign him they lost their marbles.

Omicron
12-24-2012, 02:01 PM

Thoughts?

C-town

I think Ike, Troy, Foote and Kiesel will still be here. I don't think they sign Wallace. Mendy gone, along with Burress, Legs, Mundy and Hamp. Time for McLendon to take over NT and Allen is better than Mundy.

OldSchool58
12-24-2012, 02:02 PM
If you think they're going to cut any of those long time vets you are out of your mind. The Steelers don't operate that way. I was more shocked than I'd ever been to see them cut Ward.

I'll get my *** kicked here for saying this but here goes. Cutting Ward was one of the single worst calls the Steelers made this season. How many dropped passes did we see in clutch situations this year when a 1st down would have kept a drive alive? Miller did a great job in those clutch plays.....but with Ward we also lost serious fire and leadership. Two things that this ****** team has lacked all year.

Crash
12-24-2012, 02:17 PM
riiight *rolls eyes*

This team doesn't value Ben. If it did none of this is happening.

And here's the kicker, what if the team asks Ben to re-work (no new money just the same money), and he says NO?

Then what?

I think Ben's had it with Art II. Just remember I said that when this boils over.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-24-2012, 02:24 PM

Was irony intended?

LatrobePA
12-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Was irony intended?

I think so :)

Get7With7
12-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if this was Harrison's last year.

LatrobePA
12-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if this was Harrison's last year.

I think he'll give it a go next season.

steelspikes
12-24-2012, 03:32 PM
Kenaan Lewis is a free agent. If the Steelers don't resign him they lost their marbles.

Is he restricted or un? He may command top $ on the open market after the excellent season he had.

jdehoff83
12-24-2012, 04:07 PM
I'll get my *** kicked here for saying this but here goes. Cutting Ward was one of the single worst calls the Steelers made this season. How many dropped passes did we see in clutch situations this year when a 1st down would have kept a drive alive? Miller did a great job in those clutch plays.....but with Ward we also lost serious fire and leadership. Two things that this ****** team has lacked all year.

AGREE! I was very upset when they cut Ward.. The guy is older but he was reliable and caught the ball!

jdehoff83
12-24-2012, 04:15 PM

Thoughts?

C-town

How about they get rid of some of them garbage OL men taking up space. I honestly would like to see them give Burress some looks.

Nolrog
12-24-2012, 04:26 PM
In the spirit of the season, I will forego my typical sarcastic and direct reply and just say, Merry Christmas.

Get7With7
12-24-2012, 04:31 PM
I think he'll give it a go next season.

Not unless he takes a pay cut.

LatrobePA
12-24-2012, 04:32 PM
Not unless he takes a pay cut.

True, we'll see... He's not worth his pay at this point!

steelcity73
12-24-2012, 04:34 PM

I will jump on that ship with you, I know it's gonna get bombed to hell and back, but like I posted yesterday Hines wasn't scared to go out and crack someone on a block, and that leadership by example IMO is just as important as leadership by saying the right things to get a team on track. Would having Ward on the team have done anything with the Wallace situation, probably not, feel that Hines could have helped AB and Sanders for one more year and the team wouldn't have suffered any worse than it did. With that said Hines could've torn his ACL first game, especially with the bad luck the team had on the injury front! Let the bombardment begin:nahnah:

ChucktownSteeler
12-25-2012, 10:31 AM
I will jump on that ship with you, I know it's gonna get bombed to hell and back, but like I posted yesterday Hines wasn't scared to go out and crack someone on a block, and that leadership by example IMO is just as important as leadership by saying the right things to get a team on track. Would having Ward on the team have done anything with the Wallace situation, probably not, feel that Hines could have helped AB and Sanders for one more year and the team wouldn't have suffered any worse than it did. With that said Hines could've torn his ACL first game, especially with the bad luck the team had on the injury front! Let the bombardment begin:nahnah:

Hines doesn't have an ACL.

ChucktownSteeler
12-25-2012, 10:32 AM

The site in which we can't mention here has an article listing 21 players that will be cut before next season.

LatrobePA
12-25-2012, 11:07 AM
I have to agree with you all about Hines.

LevonKirkland99
12-25-2012, 11:07 AM

I tend to think of it the same way...this year was Ward Karma. Lots of steeler fans wanted Ward cut, and they got

Wallace.

How many dropped passes Wallace, Brown and Sanders had this year...

Crash
12-25-2012, 11:12 AM
Yeah Hines was a leader...lol

You guys actually BUY that bullshit?

Goodfrom55
12-25-2012, 11:42 AM

Thoughts?

C-town

Foote, Hamp, Plax, Mendy, Keisel, Colon, Foster,

Ike, Allen and Lewis are a pretty good secondary.If healthy, Troy could be born again with freelancing with these guys in coverage. Wouldn't be surprised if Harrison was asked to restructure or be released - who knows anymore?

LevonKirkland99
12-25-2012, 11:55 AM
Yeah Hines was a leader...lol

You guys actually BUY that bullshit?

Dude you think whatever you want about Hines...no one said Hines is fast but he doesn't drop passes.

LatrobePA
12-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Dude you think whatever you want about Hines...no one said Hines is fast but he doesn't drop passes.

Hines was clutch, we have no one on this team that is or was that clutch!

Crash
12-25-2012, 12:00 PM

Hines dropped plenty of passes from 2008-2011. Once he became a member of Camp Wednesday his attention to detail, and his hands were an issue.

teeceemadison
12-25-2012, 12:10 PM
i spent, just like the rest of you, an inordinate amount of tyme yelling at the tv as wallace dropped pass after pass, or his cohorts stumbled, bumbled and fumbled away opportunities...

anyone have any idea if collectively, these drops, fumbles etc, would have dramatically changed our season? i think they would have...

SteelCityVoice
12-25-2012, 12:28 PM
i spent, just like the rest of you, an inordinate amount of tyme yelling at the tv as wallace dropped pass after pass, or his cohorts stumbled, bumbled and fumbled away opportunities...

anyone have any idea if collectively, these drops, fumbles etc, would have dramatically changed our season? i think they would have...

Wallace's fumble in the Ravens loss led directly to a FG which was the difference in the final score. That's another possible win.

Antonio Brown's special teams fumble gave the Cowboys the ball back and let them tie the game up. That's a strong case for another win.

8 fumbles against Cleveland let a crappy Browns team steal a game. Five of them were by running backs but you get my drift.

Ben threw a crucial pick 6 this week against the Bungles and another game sealing pick that let Cincy get the ball back to kick the GW FG. Ben also had the ball in his hands with a chance to drive for a winning score down 24-19 to the Broncos in week 1. Pick 6 blew that one open and sealed it.

They lost the turnover battle 2-1 in the loss at Oakland and 2-0 against San Diego.

The sad reality is that if they played up to their talent level, they could be in the thick of things for a bye in the AFC.

How about Tomlin TWICE this year asking Suisham to kick a FG from a ridiculous distance only to see him fail (Tennessee, Cincy). You'd have thought he'd learn his lesson from the Tennessee game but nope. No one learned a thing at all this year.

City of Champyinz
12-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Sushi's career long is 52yds if im not mistaken. I think the fg attempt late vs the Bengals was 53yds. Tomlin didnt have faith in his offenseto convert the 4th and manageable. The defense was playing solid and had forced a few turnovers. Unfortunately, the turnovers didnt occur deep in the Bengals territory, so they were effectively 'punt like turnovers'. Im not really mad at Tomlin for attempting the fg. Sushi's been one of very few constants all season. Asking him to kick 1-2yds beyond his career high in a big game with playoff implications is completely understandable.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

LatrobePA
12-25-2012, 01:23 PM
Should punted and tried to pin them deep and hope the defense could force something.. No way in hell do you kick the FG attempt!

Danger DANJ
12-25-2012, 01:55 PM
As huge of a Hines Ward fan I am, I gotta say it was time. He's made plenty of clutch catches in traffic but his speed, which was never great, was just terrible. His last couple of years, he only seemed to get receptions when Ben would scramble and coverage would break down. Otherwise, he couldn't get open very often.

As for other guys...No way Ike is cut. We need him and Lewis...and Lewis might be gone in free agency. I believe Hampton might stay another year. He may not have been great, but I felt like he played better this year than the last two. I doubt Kiesel is gone either.

JenZwain
12-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Hines Ward had more toughness in his pinky then the entire Young Money crew combined! Steelers should have kept him another year.

Now they have a bunch of guys that are scared to death to go across the middle after they got popped once or twice. These fumbles werent just a fluke thing...other teams had these guys rattled.

SuperSteelers
12-25-2012, 02:34 PM
No way Ike will (or should) be gone. He is the best CB on the roster and you need at least three good ones to keep up with the throw happy teams these days.

I agree they don't let Taylor go. He is a top flight CB in this league. Burress, Mendenhall, Wallace, Mundy, & Legursky are toss ups.