PDA

View Full Version : 4-3 Anyone??

cbrunn
12-24-2012, 11:49 AM
I know this has been talked about before ... but That's what Tomlin came from , and that's what most of his drafting been players that seem to fit in the 4-3 better

I agree with somebody I forget who said it , that maybe they thought DL was going to retire but he keeps sticking around, and there is no way that they can fire him

Worilds and Woodley used to be DEs in college ...

Spence is more of a 4-3 OLB ...

Hood is more of a 4-3 DT

the drafting since Tomlin has been more of a 4-3 Drafting

NeilPatrickBanana
12-24-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm on board with phasing into a 4-3 base

the "zone" blitz trickery is no longer effective... to get to the QB on a consistent basis you need skill/talent, not schematic trickery/design.

LatrobePA
12-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Do we have the personal??

cbyzerman
12-24-2012, 12:14 PM
I'm on board with phasing into a 4-3 base

the "zone" blitz trickery is no longer effective... to get to the QB on a consistent basis you need skill/talent, not schematic trickery/design.

Why? The defense was dominant yeterday. And they still do not have the personal up front for a 4-3

scudmissile29
12-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Do we have the personal??

dunno.

MLB TIMMONS
ROLB SPENCE
LOLB Woodley

DE heyward
DE ????
DT mclendon
DT hood

LatrobePA
12-24-2012, 12:17 PM
dunno.

MLB TIMMONS
ROLB SPENCE
LOLB Woodley

DE heyward
DE ????
DT mclendon
DT hood

Make a call and make it happen! lol

teeceemadison
12-24-2012, 12:22 PM
they got good push up the middle yesterday, and fairly consistently.....where was that all the rest of the year?

NeilPatrickBanana
12-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Why? The defense was dominant yeterday. And they still do not have the personal up front for a 4-3

18th in sacks 2012
18th in sacks 2011

NeilPatrickBanana
12-24-2012, 12:25 PM
dunno.

MLB TIMMONS
ROLB SPENCE
LOLB Woodley

DE heyward
DE ????
DT mclendon
DT hood

Woodley would not play OLB in a 4-3
Timmons would be a better fit at WLB in a 4-3 (think Derrick Brooks)
We would need to draft someone for the middle

WLB - Timmons
MLB - XXXX
SLB - Spence/Sylvester

DE - Woodley
DE - XXXX/Worrilds
DT - Hood
DT - McClendon/Heyward/Taamu

TarlsQtr
12-24-2012, 12:37 PM
18th in sacks 2012
18th in sacks 2011

Sacks are right up there with TOP for most overrated stats.

Points against is the stat that really matters for a D.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-24-2012, 12:38 PM

you missed the context

Real Deal Steel
12-24-2012, 12:40 PM

Disagree. Sacks are important because a lot of sacks translates into even more pressures. When we were top 3 in sacks every year, don't remember anyone saying the stat was overrated then. :rolleyes:

jpele
12-24-2012, 12:45 PM
We're the #1 defense in the league so could you explain how going to a 4-3 D improves on that ?

cbrunn
12-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Woodley would not play OLB in a 4-3
Timmons would be a better fit at WLB in a 4-3 (think Derrick Brooks)
We would need to draft someone for the middle

WLB - Timmons
MLB - XXXX
SLB - Spence/Sylvester

DE - Woodley
DE - XXXX/Worrilds
DT - Hood
DT - McClendon/Heyward/Taamu

This right here ... and 4-3 LBs aren't as coveted as pass rushing 3-4 ... so you can get one in RD2 or RD3 much easier ... Think Author Brown from Kansas State in round 3 ...

Or depending where we end up draft pick wise ... giving up a 3rd to secure Te'o is much easier then ... because you don't have OLB and ILB a need ...

NeilPatrickBanana
12-24-2012, 12:51 PM
We're the #1 defense in the league so could you explain how going to a 4-3 D improves on that ?

situational football is more important than the overall generic stats your using

How many games were lost where the Steelers were leading or tied in the 4th quarter?

Being unable to generate consistent pressure from a 4 man rush is a major achilles's heel in the 4th quarter

Look at what Cinci's front 4 did in the 4th quarter... lets do that. lol

NeilPatrickBanana
12-24-2012, 12:52 PM
This right here ... and 4-3 LBs aren't as coveted as pass rushing 3-4 ... so you can get one in RD2 or RD3 much easier ... Think Author Brown from Kansas State in round 3 ...

Or depending where we end up draft pick wise ... giving up a 3rd to secure Te'o is much easier then ... because you don't have OLB and ILB a need ...

moving to a 4-3 would also bring some of the high end DT prospects into the picture in the 1st round (Hankins... DROOOOL)

cbrunn
12-24-2012, 12:53 PM

The fraudulent #1 in Yards a game , means nothing ... because I'm pretty sure we dominate Time of Possession on Offense

Just by watching games the Steelers D is absolutely not #1 D ... I would easily take the 49ers D or Seahawks D ... don't get me wrong the Steelers D is good though

But Just looking at what Tomlin came from ... and his drafts have made more sense for a 4-3 Team ... is why I'm saying this

cbrunn
12-24-2012, 12:57 PM
moving to a 4-3 would also bring some of the high end DT prospects into the picture in the 1st round (Hankins... DROOOOL)

It would Definitely put your boy Dion Jordan much more in the picture too ... as well as Ziggy Ansuh (maybe spelling error)

Crash
12-24-2012, 12:59 PM

So when the offense holds the ball for 6 minutes to start a game the defense gets the credit?

SuperSteelers
12-24-2012, 01:03 PM
The fraudulent #1 in Yards a game , means nothing ... because I'm pretty sure we dominate Time of Possession on Offense

Just by watching games the Steelers D is absolutely not #1 D ... I would easily take the 49ers D or Seahawks D ... don't get me wrong the Steelers D is good though

But Just looking at what Tomlin came from ... and his drafts have made more sense for a 4-3 Team ... is why I'm saying this

I agree. I would love to have a 49ers or Seahawks defense that plays with speed, pressure, attacking, and hard hitting.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-24-2012, 01:04 PM
It would Definitely put your boy Dion Jordan much more in the picture too ... as well as Ziggy Ansuh (maybe spelling error)

Why do you think Jordan is a better fit in a 4-3?

That's a completely backwards viewpoint. Jordan athletically is a much better fit in a 3-4, where he can play in space, be used in coverage schemes, and be unleashed as a pass rusher, the way Aldon Smith was used in his rookie year.

scudmissile29
12-24-2012, 01:23 PM
anyway we can cut hampton, i've seen enough in mclendon.

hampton thanks for the great years.

cbrunn
12-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Why do you think Jordan is a better fit in a 4-3?

That's a completely backwards viewpoint. Jordan athletically is a much better fit in a 3-4, where he can play in space, be used in coverage schemes, and be unleashed as a pass rusher, the way Aldon Smith was used in his rookie year.

Lol just wanted to mess with you and get your blood boiling a little bit

cbrunn
12-24-2012, 01:31 PM
anyway we can cut hampton, i've seen enough in mclendon.

hampton thanks for the great years.

Yes sir ... me too Flame ... Mclendon seems to be a beast when he's on the field

NeilPatrickBanana
12-24-2012, 01:34 PM
Lol just wanted to mess with you and get your blood boiling a little bit

be honest, you don't watch much college football...

Zachintosh66
12-24-2012, 01:38 PM
cmon... the D isnt the problem...

cbrunn
12-24-2012, 01:39 PM
be honest, you don't watch much college football...

Lol it's funny though most of the PPL you put in your latest mock , I've been Mocked

Only person we really disagree upon is Jordan ... lol you have a huge Man Crush on him ... it's alright though...... But I've admitted I haven't watched much of Dion Jordan, but since then I have watched tape from youtube ... and I just ain't as high on him as you are, don't think I ever will be , one player we will be arguing on until the draft

NeilPatrickBanana
12-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Lol it's funny though most of the PPL you put in your latest mock , I've been Mocked

Only person we really disagree upon is Jordan ... lol you have a super Man Crush on him ... it's alright though...... But I've admitted I haven't watched much of Dion Jordan, but since then I have watched tape from youtube ... and I just ain't as high on him as you are, don't think I ever will be , one player we will be arguing on until the draft

too bad you formed an opinion... and then went and watched some highlights... pretty hard to change one's own preconceived opinions.

oh well...

NeilPatrickBanana
12-24-2012, 01:42 PM
cmon... the D isnt the problem...

The lack of consistently being able to put pressure on with 4 is a huge huge huge problem

Nolrog
12-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Worilds and Woodley used to be DEs in college ...

That doesn't mean they could play DE in the pros.

The 4-3 defense is predicated on the line making the plays. We don't have the kind of play makers needed on the DL anywhere; we have zero; needed to play the 4-3. We don't have the depth necessary to play the 4-3. We'd have to lose one, maybe two line backers (Foot, Sly) and replace them with more DL. And considering they've played this defense for such a long time, it would take quite a while to change over.

Nolrog
12-24-2012, 04:40 PM

Sacks means you're putting pressure on the QB. Pressure on the QB leads to turn overs. It's not a coincidence that we pressured the QB yesterday and came up with 3 turn overs.

TarlsQtr
12-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Obviously sacks are a great thing but are not as important as some think.

2011- Rams led league in sacks (55), 25th in scoring D, 29th in INTs (10)

Zachintosh66
12-24-2012, 08:09 PM
The lack of consistently being able to put pressure on with 4 is a huge huge huge problem

We cant get pressure with 5 (2 OLB & 3 DL), how are we gonna get pressure with 4?

This thread is ridiculous and shouldnt be thought about until DL quits. Some of you may not like that, but thats the truth of it. Then Coach Keith Butler has all but been told he is the heir-apparent for D Cord. Point is 3-4 isnt going anywhere...

Speeed
12-24-2012, 08:26 PM
And turnovers. Turnovers win ballgames. Ask the Browns. Or the Bengals. Or the Cowboys. Or the .....

LevonKirkland99
12-24-2012, 10:57 PM
why change to 4-3? is this going to give us more wins... ridiculous

LevonKirkland99
12-24-2012, 10:59 PM
We cant get pressure with 5 (2 OLB & 3 DL), how are we gonna get pressure with 4?

This thread is ridiculous and shouldnt be thought about until DL quits. Some of you may not like that, but thats the truth of it. Then Coach Keith Butler has all but been told he is the heir-apparent for D Cord. Point is 3-4 isnt going anywhere...

Speaking of LeBeau ( love the guy, but...) is he going to retire soon?

steelchamp204
12-25-2012, 02:11 AM

Relax dude, dont get your panties in a bunch. OP was just speculating if they changed, IF we had the personell

SnakeEyes43
12-25-2012, 10:28 AM
why change to 4-3? is this going to give us more wins... ridiculous

It could fit with the personnel we have for the next few years, depending how we draft. But yes, all speculation.

K Train
12-26-2012, 10:29 AM
dunno.

MLB TIMMONS
ROLB SPENCE
LOLB Woodley

DE heyward
DE ????
DT mclendon
DT hood
heyward is not a 43 DE, he'd be a 43/cover 2 DT

the best they could do would be Harrison at Mike, Timmons at SAM, Spence at WILL and woodley a LDE, draft an absolute stud RDE and play hood and heyward in the middle

still wouldnt like it though

Nolrog
12-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Speaking of LeBeau ( love the guy, but...) is he going to retire soon?

Wrong thread.

greg1964
12-27-2012, 01:07 PM
I love the 3-4 but we must have the LB to play it:

If JH is healthy, stay with the 3-4 but if he isn't and they have the personell to play some 4-3 that's fine too.

Nolrog
12-27-2012, 01:49 PM
I love the 3-4 but we must have the LB to play it:

If JH is healthy, stay with the 3-4 but if he isn't and they have the personell to play some 4-3 that's fine too.

You can make that same statement of the 4-3 though. We must have the linemen to play it. I don't believe they have the personell to play the 4-3.

SuperSteelers
12-28-2012, 04:17 AM
I don't believe it really matters what scheme is used because the players they have now don't generate any penetration, pass rush, or sacks.