PDA

View Full Version : Now that the season is over, everyone's thoughts on the Todd Haley experiment?

steelersbabex25
12-23-2012, 04:30 PM
I don't know if we'll ever be totally happy with the OC, but I am not as impressed with Haley as I thought I would be at the start of the season. He's just too inconsistent of a play caller for my tastes. One game he calls great plays, the next game (take today for example), he's just as bad as Arians. Obviously they won't be getting rid of him but I'd like to see a little more consistency from him in 2013.

North Steel
12-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Let me know if they need someone to open the fu#king door.Just out right pathetic.

LatrobePA
12-23-2012, 04:37 PM
The Haley experiment is over. Cut this dip **** lose!

Black@Gold Forever32
12-23-2012, 04:37 PM
I'm actually glad its over...It was getting painful to even watch this team just **** away game after game.......

Nolrog
12-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Good Lord. Here we go again.

Crash
12-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Ben or Haley have to go. This can't continue.

Big T
12-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Decent before Ben's injury. Absolutely, laughably pathetic since...

scudmissile29
12-23-2012, 04:43 PM
It was going well until after the Giants game, then that second part of the season it was awful

23.8 points before week 10
20.1 points after week 10

Give him next year to see how things go.

Big T
12-23-2012, 04:44 PM
It was going well until after the Giants game, then that second part of the season it was awful

Exactly. That's what I've been saying. Even since Ben came back Haley has been game planning around Batch/Leftwich.

Raleigh Steel
12-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Haley's offense started off very well then regressed into a mirror image of BA's offense. Essentially we did not improve the position. We just changed the name in the program.

Big T
12-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Haley's offense started off very well then regressed into a mirror image of BA's offense. Essentially we did not improve the position. We just changed the name in the program.

Not really. I get what you're saying but Haley refused to even take shots deep. BA did it too often, Haley not enough.

ChucktownSteeler
12-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Not a fan of Haley.

NorCalSteel
12-23-2012, 04:48 PM
this whole year was a waste of time.....

scudmissile29
12-23-2012, 04:48 PM
Exactly. That's what I've been saying. Even since Ben came back Haley has been game planning around Batch/Leftwich.

Some fans are deluded that they think were going to have a top 5 offense with Haley.

I don't think that will ever happen, this is just the team that wouldn't ever achieve that status.

However, he can make this offense into a powerhouse and its not an overnight transition.

I hope we can find a running back in the draft a wide receiver and some good safeties.

Our stranglehold on the AFC North has clearly gone and we need to patch a few things up.

I would give Haley three seasons.

Big T
12-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Some fans are deluded that they think were going to have a top 5 offense with Haley.

I don't think that will ever happen, this is just the team that wouldn't ever achieve that status.

However, he can make this offense into a powerhouse and its not an overnight transition.

I hope we can find a running back in the draft a wide receiver and some good safeties.

Our stranglehold on the AFC North has clearly gone and we need to patch a few things up.

Completely agree. Great post.

Ambridge
12-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Experiment??
This "Experiment" needs to terminated immediately.
There was some real hope when Arians left now we're stuck with more mind numbing play calling and strategizing on offense for the foreseeable future.
Just Great!!

Crowned
12-23-2012, 04:57 PM
Ready to see another season with him and a healthy team.

Rastajacob
12-23-2012, 05:00 PM
LOL, everyone that called for Arians's head got what they wished for...a totally anemic OC play calling and Arians and the Colts are now in the Post sesaon. I am for one, however, happy that we are out so that we can rebuild our team..

Crowned
12-23-2012, 05:00 PM
Arians is still pathetic.

Nolrog
12-23-2012, 05:03 PM

OK, who are you and what did you do with Flame?

All seriousness aside. Well said, I completely agree.

scudmissile29
12-23-2012, 05:04 PM
LOL, everyone that called for Arians's head got what they wished for...a totally anemic OC play calling and Arians and the Colts are now in the Post sesaon. I am for one, however, happy that we are out so that we can rebuild our team..

Most of the people dissing on haley are illiterate riverats who are always grumpy and won't be pleased with anything and in turn -- can't please their partners.

There will always be moaning in the 'burgh.

Crowned
12-23-2012, 05:04 PM

My thoughts exactly lol

scudmissile29
12-23-2012, 05:05 PM

Seasons over, my trolling has ended for the part, I was never satisfied with the components of the team, now another wishful thinking in the off-season could help turn my thoughts.

aaronsmith91
12-23-2012, 05:27 PM
The execution of this offense was flat out balls starting with the Monday night KC game and onward. Ben was not the same after coming back from that game, our running game disappeared and our money crew became broke. Only so much an OC can do when you can't run or catch the ball and on top of that our qb,rb's and wr's are constantly turning the ball over.

All and all I'm a Haley fan, the problem with this season was we began with a high powered offense (Ben was putting up MVP numbers) complemented by a ****** defense. By the time our d got its **** together our O just flopped

Farrior Fan
12-23-2012, 05:29 PM
I only got to watch the last few minutes of the first half, I then watched the second half. The ONLY deep ball I saw was a TD to AB. Ummm I would try that some more. Our coaches are dumbasses.

And btw mods, you need to reset Flames Password - his account has obviously been hacked.

steelchamp204
12-23-2012, 05:30 PM
I want to see another 2 seasons from Haley, he needs to stretch the field more often though. Tomlin/Haley need to pick a starting running back also to carry the load instead of this musical chair bullshit.

LatrobePA
12-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Haley fizzled... He has no right coming back!

aaronsmith91
12-23-2012, 05:37 PM
I want to see another 2 seasons from Haley, he needs to stretch the field more often though. Tomlin/Haley need to pick a starting running back also to carry the load instead of this musical chair bullshit.

I agree, however I do think their was a correlation between Mike Adams getting injured and the disappearance of our run game, for a while it didn't seem to matter who was running the ball we were gonna get 150 yards rushigs

steelchamp204
12-23-2012, 05:43 PM
I agree, however I do think their was a correlation between Mike Adams getting injured and the disappearance of our run game, for a while it didn't seem to matter who was running the ball we were gonna get 150 yards rushigs

I think Adams was a monster in the run game. Beachum is OK, not anything special yet, DD was getting lite up today. I wish they would have put LEGS in for center and put Pouncey in for the pathetic Foster. Foster is not a guard at all, he is ****ing worthless.

All venting aside. I want to see the line healthy next season. Id like to see Ben take more command on the field, yes I know Haley is here. But Ben needs to step up as the leader on this team. Mendenhall still showed today why he should be resigned(even though I think he looks elsewhere) Dwyer/Redman can not make the edges like Mendy can.

Rastajacob
12-23-2012, 05:44 PM
Most of the people dissing on haley are illiterate riverats who are always grumpy and won't be pleased with anything and in turn -- can't please their partners.

There will always be moaning in the 'burgh.

Um, my post was rushed, thank you very much and I'm not an illiterate river rat; far from it, chief. Haley sucks..period. What did he do with KC? Yeah, he was a good OC with Arizona, but his play calling this year has been predictable. My concern right now is the receiving corps we have assembled and their inability to get open at crucial times and their lack of focus when it comes to making a catch...

Crash
12-23-2012, 06:05 PM
Art won't fire Haley. He does that he admits hes wrong.

That won't happen.

So Ben will go.

Get7With7
12-23-2012, 06:11 PM
Regardless of who the OC is next year, one thing is clear - Coach Art needs to f off.

This offense isn't built to be a clock-grinding, time of possession offense. This offense needs to be no-huddle, quick strike. No more handcuffing Ben for the first 58 minutes of the game, and then in the last 2 minutes going "OH NO! BEN PLEASE BAIL US OUT!" He won't do it, not every time. Let Ben and company try to win the game early, then maybe yinzer smashmouth can come out in the 4th to ice the game.

scudmissile29
12-23-2012, 06:21 PM
Um, my post was rushed, thank you very much and I'm not an illiterate river rat; far from it, chief. Haley sucks..period. What did he do with KC? Yeah, he was a good OC with Arizona, but his play calling this year has been predictable. My concern right now is the receiving corps we have assembled and their inability to get open at crucial times and their lack of focus when it comes to making a catch...

what did he do with KC? took them to the playoffs in his second season.

chisteeler
12-23-2012, 06:29 PM
It just sickens me to know that everyone in the NFL and fans of other teams are rejoicing that the Steelers are not in the playoffs. It is time for a change in the 'Burgh. What that change is..who knows? I just hope it will bring back that intensity and desire that this team lacked this year.

Real Deal Steel
12-23-2012, 07:28 PM

outstanding post. And may I add a total revamping of the coaching and conditioning of the O-line.

Real Deal Steel
12-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Haley needs to tailor his offense to the personnel and strength of his players. He trys to make you conform to his system when it should be the other way around.

Nolrog
12-23-2012, 08:17 PM
I want to see another 2 seasons from Haley, he needs to stretch the field more often though.

That's the one complaint I had about Haley. He didn't go vertical often enough I thought. It did look like he was working with Wallace and turning him into a more complete receiver by having him over the middle more than BA did.

SteelerCountry58
12-23-2012, 08:25 PM
I honestly don't know right now. Things were so out of whack the whole year it's hard
to evaluate Haley but he's on par with BA with his lack of utilizing personel,namely MILLER!

Nolrog
12-23-2012, 08:38 PM
I honestly don't know right now. Things were so out of whack the whole year it's hard
to evaluate Haley but he's on par with BA with his lack of utilizing personel,namely MILLER!

While I agree that Heath could have been used more, he is having one of the best years in his career. Only 2009 was better (though more Y/C this year and a career high in TDs and receiving first downs.)

steelcityrockers
12-23-2012, 08:42 PM

Illiterate? No. Grammatically challenged? Yup. Chill on the random ellipses and semi colons, Jack. I'd just like to point out that unnecessary ellipses make anyone look like a mom on Facebook.

SteelerCountry58
12-23-2012, 08:55 PM
While I agree that Heath could have been used more, he is having one of the best years in his career. Only 2009 was better (though more Y/C this year and a career high in TDs and receiving first downs.)
At times in games Heath was on a roll and unstoppble. Then they went away from him. Does Dallas
stop going to Witten,N.E. stop going to Gronk etc...??? Heath is a stud,use him Haley! Get another
TE to keep home to block the damn rush. Frustrating.

TarlsQtr
12-23-2012, 08:58 PM
At times in games Heath was on a roll and unstoppble. Then they went away from him. Does Dallas
stop going to Witten,N.E. stop going to Gronk etc...??? Heath is a stud,use him Haley! Get another
TE to keep home to block the damn rush. Frustrating.

I agree but this has been a problem with our OCs long before Haley. I remember yelling at the TV for Joe Walton (now THERE was a terrible OC!!!) to get the ball to Eric Green more. :-)

SteelerCountry58
12-23-2012, 09:00 PM
I agree but this has been a problem with our OCs long before Haley. I remember yelling at the TV for Joe Walton (now THERE was a terrible OC!!!) to get the ball to Eric Green more. :-)
Oh yeah,I remember that too. Green wasn't used properly either. Shame.

steelcity73
12-23-2012, 09:31 PM

While Flame is usually very critical about the Stillerz (which is warranted), I agree with his comment. As well as some of the other posts about the OL and the conditioning? Just amazed at the injuries and severity the players keep having. Sure hope Heath is gonna be ok him going to the Pro bowl even though the game is a joke, always love to watch him play, one of the few guys on the team with HEART when playing!!

TarlsQtr
12-23-2012, 09:47 PM
While Flame is usually very critical about the Stillerz (which is warranted), I agree with his comment. As well as some of the other posts about the OL and the conditioning? Just amazed at the injuries and severity the players keep having. Sure hope Heath is gonna be ok him going to the Pro bowl even though the game is a joke, always love to watch him play, one of the few guys on the team with HEART when playing!!

Most of the OL injuries are ankles and knees from people falling on them. Conditioning cannot help that. And when you have those injuries, you are forced to play less capable people. No coach is going to make Legursky a Pro Bowler.

steelcity73
12-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Most of the OL injuries are ankles and knees from people falling on them. Conditioning cannot help that. And when you have those injuries, you are forced to play less capable people. No coach is going to make Legursky a Pro Bowler.

With that being said then this season should be chalked up to the injury bug and not Tomlin, Haley, Ben or the thousand other issues people are coming up with! Sounds to me like we just have really, really bad luck!

Steeldriven
12-23-2012, 11:20 PM
Well I look at the totally gutted colts team with a bunch of nobodies on their team and a rookie qb at the helm going to the playoffs under BA....and the steelers who are usually in the playoffs year in and year out stumble like fools and it makes me wonder. Also the defense may have been #1 but that don't mean squat when you qb pressure and sack are few and far between and you can't force a fumble or jump a pass pattern for the pick.

Crash
12-23-2012, 11:29 PM
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Walton's offense was tailor made for Green. He was dominant in 1990 when he signed and then got hurt in 1991.

Töm87
12-24-2012, 07:15 AM
Hey guys, let me say hello to everyone first. I am new on the board. Looking forward to some good reads.
Personally, i think the Haley experiment is over because i don't see how Ben and Haley can coexist.
If this team wants to be a serious contender next season, we need a OC and a QB who trust and respect each other.
One of them has to go. Which basically means, Haley has to go!

Nolrog
12-24-2012, 07:23 AM
If this team wants to be a serious contender next season, we need a OC and a QB who trust and respect each other.
One of them has to go. Which basically means, Haley has to go!

That takes time to develop. It's not something that comes over night.

Clevelandsux
12-24-2012, 08:14 AM
whisenhunt might need another job soon.

Stone
12-24-2012, 08:22 AM

This is a valid point. The injuries "are" ankles and knees from people falling on them which I believe is coming from OL blockers being moved out of position.

aaronsmith91
12-24-2012, 08:33 AM
what did he do with KC? took them to the playoffs in his second season.

Look at KC w/o Haley. And the year he was fired Charles and Berry were on IR

Clevelandsux
12-28-2012, 08:00 PM
I got the steelers 1953-54 highlights for my birthday. First thing I thought when I watched them was how come the old steelers could move the ball and the current ones can't?

nuclearchihuahuas
12-30-2012, 03:45 PM
I'd take Whis back

Clevelandsux
12-30-2012, 04:02 PM
That reverse inside our own territory had me throwing things.

Forged in Steel
12-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Garbage.

Omicron
12-30-2012, 05:20 PM
That reverse inside our own territory had me throwing things.

They should never be allowed to run the reverse play. Ever. It has sucked every time.

TarlsQtr
12-30-2012, 05:27 PM
He showed flashes of what it could be, but subpar. He gets one more season.

Get7With7
12-30-2012, 05:37 PM
Regardless of what happens at OC, Art Rooney II needs to stay out and let the coaches coach.

LevonKirkland99
12-30-2012, 05:52 PM
Regardless of what happens at OC, Art Rooney II needs to stay out and let the coaches coach.

I think he stays out for the most part, unless it is a critical situation. To be honest, we have to build the running game. We need a reliable RB in the backfield who doesn't get hurt every other game.

Get7With7
12-30-2012, 06:09 PM
I think he stays out for the most part, unless it is a critical situation. To be honest, we have to build the running game. We need a reliable RB in the backfield who doesn't get hurt every other game.

Not this year he didn't. Haley wasn't afraid to go down field when he was the OC in Arizona. This offense was dumbed down because Artie wants the Steelers to be like the old team.

Nolrog
12-30-2012, 06:29 PM
Not this year he didn't. Haley wasn't afraid to go down field when he was the OC in Arizona. This offense was dumbed down because Artie wants the Steelers to be like the old team.

Art Rooney isn't anywhere near as involved with this team as some people think.

Goodfrom55
12-30-2012, 06:31 PM
Can't wait until next season. He will have a better understanding of what is in front of him and I think he and Ben will develop a great relationship.

LatrobePA
12-30-2012, 06:52 PM
A third string practice squad QB threw for more yards then Ben against the "number 1" defense. What's wrong with that picture??

ChucktownSteeler
12-30-2012, 07:34 PM
Long story short I am not impressed with Haley, hope the Chargers hire him.

Get7With7
12-30-2012, 08:48 PM
Art Rooney isn't anywhere near as involved with this team as some people think.

When he goes on media tours talking about how Ben has to change his game and how the offense has to run the ball, that's going to far for an owner.

Speeed
12-30-2012, 08:59 PM
Excellent point.

The guy apparently has not even taken a snap before this week since training camp. I think something is amiss with play calling on the Steelers end.

A third string practice squad QB threw for more yards then Ben against the "number 1" defense. What's wrong with that picture??

Vincent
12-31-2012, 02:57 AM
Mendenhall and Wallace both need to go.

I don't think we need a new RB. I think Dwyer and Redman can get the job done if you get the right o-line in front of them. I need to see Mike Adams and DeCastro play an entire season. It's a shame DeCastro was injured in preseason because this would have been the perfect season for him to gain experience.

Should an offer be extended to Burress ?

I think it's time for LeBeau to retire. As the OP said, the defense looks great on paper but it's just not truly delivering. I simply do not have confidence in it. The zone blitz no longer works on top notch QB's (Manning, Brady). Last time we played NE we played man to man and that is the reason we won. Brady had picked us apart in the previous encounter. I don't want a defense which is awesome against mediocre QB's but unable to deliver when it comes to true crunch time.

Ike Taylor : overrated. He can be really good, but he can also be VERY bad. How many times did he get called for interference multiple times in a single game ? Way too many penalties.

Todd Haley doesn't need to be fired. He just needs to re-think the offense. He was obviously hired under the pretense of keeping Ben off his back by using quick short passes, but I just don't see this working properly. I also think we are not properly using our deep threats.

v

Vincent
12-31-2012, 03:05 AM
the defense may have been #1 but that don't mean squat when you qb pressure and sack are few and far between and you can't force a fumble or jump a pass pattern for the pick.

Yes - the defense looks great on paper, but in reality it is not able to truly shutdown an offense when absolutely needed. No forced turnovers ; pass rush sucks.