PDA

View Full Version : Harrison Stirring the Pot

TarlsQtr
12-21-2012, 10:45 PM
James says that he is aiming at the knees now, to avoid fines. He cites his hit on Decker last January, which caused an MCL injury. When you read it, you can really see him tweaking Goodell. :-)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000114506/article/pittsburgh-steelers-james-harrison-aiming-low-on-hits

Speeed
12-21-2012, 11:14 PM
Nowhere in that article did he say he was "aiming at the knees." He said he was tackling low.

Crash
12-21-2012, 11:18 PM
Good. That's what Goodell wants? Start turning ACL's into pasta noodles.

jnes1216
12-22-2012, 02:00 AM
I'm just glad one of our OLBers is showing a desire to crush the opponent.

Clevelandsux
12-22-2012, 02:48 AM
goodell is the antichrist!

gtadroptop
12-22-2012, 08:53 AM
I saw this on one of the sports shows yesterday. Doesn't matter what he actually said. The media is picking up the 'knees' angle. The haters will start their anti-Steelers/anti-Harrison chest thumping again.

Harrison was doing well flying under the 'fines' radar (for various reasons). This should put him back in the crosshairs. I understand his point, but why call attention to himself?

Rhyno
12-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Maybe he should focus on just hitting someone. He doesn't seem to do that much anymore.

Crash
12-22-2012, 10:02 AM
Can't hit a QB when he's wasting away in coverage.

TarlsQtr
12-22-2012, 11:51 AM
Nowhere in that article did he say he was "aiming at the knees." He said he was tackling low.

This is what he said:

"I've really lowered my target area to where it's down around the knees," Harrison said Friday on ESPN Radio.

I am not sure how stating that his "target area" is "around the knees" is different than "aiming for the knees."

Farrior Fan
12-22-2012, 12:10 PM

I keep on wondering why a 34 year old OLB is trying to keep up with 22 yr old TE's

Rhyno
12-22-2012, 02:13 PM

Can't hit them when he is rushing, either. Wish he would shut-up and play.

Crash
12-22-2012, 02:21 PM
He was of the few on defense who's played well the last 2 weeks.

Rhyno
12-22-2012, 02:32 PM
He was of the few on defense who's played well the last 2 weeks.

He is without a doubt getting better. Hope he returns to form - it makes his ranting seem less ridiculous.

Stone
12-22-2012, 07:41 PM

Bingo!

Speeed
12-22-2012, 08:04 PM
His statement is indicating he is aiming somewhere around around the knees. He is not targeting them specifically. His statement insinuates he is just hitting low. And that is exactly what he meant. If he actually said "targeting the knees" that would indicate he is actually trying to hit the knees specifically, which we all know no player is doing intentionally. And he did not say that. He said "area."

The thread title is misquoting him. Which the sport, Harrison, or the Steelers don't need. The title is misleading in that it could predispose the audience to thinking he is actually targeting other players knees. I don't mean to argue, I just wanted to bring that to everyone's attention.

I think we call all agree he has a point. The game is changing.

This is what he said:

I am not sure how stating that his "target area" is "around the knees" is different than "aiming for the knees."

LatrobePA
12-22-2012, 08:40 PM
Kiss the ball wrap up and drive... Fundamentals of this game are being forgotten...

Stone
12-23-2012, 07:53 AM
Kiss the ball wrap up and drive... Fundamentals of this game are being forgotten...

What kind of highlight reel would that make:lol:

LatrobePA
12-23-2012, 09:24 AM
What kind of highlight reel would that make:lol:

Right I keep forgetting the NFL is an entertainment business!

Nolrog
12-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Considering that even if you go for the mid-section, the ball carrier dips his head to protect the ball and you hit the helmet anyway, with absolutely 0 intent, you still get the 15 and a likely fine.

Omicron
12-23-2012, 10:43 AM
The game is changing.

Exactly. Fans like us want to see good ol football with some defense. The casual fan, that the NFL seems to think is the demographic, wants 50+ point games with all offense and bare minimum defense. I do agree that they do need to maintain player safety too, but there has to be a line on it as the game can just be violent at times. Just my opinion.

Stone
12-23-2012, 11:10 AM
Exactly. Fans like us want to see good ol football with some defense. The casual fan, that the NFL seems to think is the demographic, wants 50+ point games with all offense and bare minimum defense. I do agree that they do need to maintain player safety too, but there has to be a line on it as the game can just be violent at times. Just my opinion.

Until the NFL does these two things, all talk about player safety is a smoke screen:

1. Adopt a zero tolerance policy against HGH and PED's

2. Stop changing the rules to promote passing when pass play are what cause the most injuries.

Speeed
12-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Your reply made me realize something. I get pissed off (jealous maybe?) when I see teams like the Seahawks score 50 points and we put up a measly 17 or 24 points every single game with a QB like Ben and guys like Wallace, Sanders, Brown, Miller (who is earning his keep BTW). Is that wrong? Is that byproduct of these rule changes? I wonder....