PDA

View Full Version : Guess who leads the AFC North in drops?

jpele
12-20-2012, 08:29 AM
If you asked me who leads the AFC North in dropped passes, my three guesses would've been: Mike Wallace, Mike Wallace and Mike Wallace. Well, I was wrong.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green tops the division in that category. This shocked me because Green has such great hands. Everyone remembers Green's drop in the red zone against Dallas, but I can't recall many more than that one. Last season, Green had three drops on 112 targets. This year, he has seven drops on 138 targets.

Wallace is close behind Green with six dropped passes. That's tied for the second-most in the AFC North with Bengals tight end Jermaine Gresham and Browns wide receiver Greg Little. Saints tight end Jimmy Graham leads the NFL with 11 dropped passes.

In terms of teams, the Browns lead the division with 26 drops, which is tied for eighth-most in the league. The Steelers and Bengals have a total of 22 drops. The Ravens have the least amount of dropped passes with 19. Wide receiver Torrey Smith has the most drops for Baltimore with four.

HERE (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/61622/guess-who-leads-the-afc-north-in-drops)

This came as a surprise to me,guess I need to step and clear my head. I'm sure no one on the Bengals fan base is hoping AJ Green takes a hike.

K Train
12-20-2012, 08:41 AM
AJ had one horrible game a few weeks ago (i think he had the flu) and he dropped like 5 passes

BlitzburghRockCity
12-20-2012, 08:41 AM
AJ Green had problems with dropped passes last year too. He's got a chance to be one of the best receivers in the game but he has to work on his consistency. Much like Wallace, he has all the talent in the world, but unlike Wallace, AJG isn't afraid to go up and consistently put forth the effort to make the tough catch.

Zachintosh66
12-20-2012, 08:44 AM
AJ Green had problems with dropped passes last year too. He's got a chance to be one of the best receivers in the game but he has to work on his consistency. Much like Wallace, he has all the talent in the world, but unlike Wallace, AJG isn't afraid to go up and consistently put forth the effort to make the tough catch.

Amen... AJG makes up for it in effort and attitude.

scudmissile29
12-20-2012, 08:57 AM
Aj Green Madden catch rating drops to 75!!!

LatrobePA
12-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Guess who has the ability to torch the Steelers on Sunday? Yep, same guy!

SnakeEyes43
12-20-2012, 09:40 AM
AJG makes up for it in effort and attitude.

Freakin' THIS!

cbrunn
12-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Amen... AJG makes up for it in effort and attitude.

Thats because he's like what 6'4 ... Wallace is what 6' ...AJ Green is one of the elite talents at WR , and he's a jump ball spectacular catch receiver ... Wallace is a speed receiver

so lets see ... Wallace is running full speed down field with his 4.2-4.3 speed ... and the ball isn't perfect , do you know how hard it must be to adjust to a ball when your running full speed (and have the Dbs toasted) with 4.2-4.3 speed ... over the head catches are the hardest to make , let alone running at 4.2-4.3 speed trying to find the ball and then adjust to it and then catch it ... that's a hard task , if you ask me ... none of the other big name receivers are this kind of receiver , if you like or not he's the best at this type of receiver

AJ Green , Calvin Johnson , and so on... while they might be deceptively fast , they are not Sprinter like speed ... and they are all also like 6'4 ... which gives the QB the ability to kind of just throw it up , and give the receiver time to locate it so they can use their height and jumping ability over the DB

at least that's my 2 cents take it how you want :dunno:

Real Deal Steel
12-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Wallace leads the league in most uninspired play. No excuse for that.

Hines Ward wasn't the biggest, or the fastest. But he came to play everyday. And I"ll take Ward in his prime over Wallace in his prime (sissy) everyday of the week.

Real Deal Steel
12-20-2012, 10:37 AM

This. There is more to playing WR then just 4.2 speed. :rolleyes: Gzzzz. Some of you really don't know football.

cbrunn
12-20-2012, 10:41 AM
This. There is more to playing WR then just 4.2 speed. :rolleyes: Gzzzz. Some of you really don't know football.

I dare you to give me RG3(somebody who puts the deep ball on the money unlike Ben) and Mike Wallace ... and as a Defensive Coordinator , you play Mike Wallace 1 on 1 with no help over top .... pleaseeeeee :yellowthumb:

Oh yeah wanted to make clear it was no hate on Ben ... Just saying his deep balls don't be accurate most of the time ... while this could be running for his life and not really getting set most of the times ...

Real Deal Steel
12-20-2012, 10:58 AM
So it's Ben's fault??? Hilarious. That is ridiculous.

Ben is what we are working with. Not RG3.

Real Deal Steel
12-20-2012, 10:59 AM
I dare you to give me RG3(somebody who puts the deep ball on the money unlike Ben) and Mike Wallace ... and as a Defensive Coordinator , you play Mike Wallace 1 on 1 with no help over top .... pleaseeeeee :yellowthumb:

Oh yeah wanted to make clear it was no hate on Ben ... Just saying his deep balls don't be accurate most of the time ... while this could be running for his life and not really getting set most of the times ...

I just had to capture this post before he changes it.

cbrunn
12-20-2012, 11:05 AM
I'm not changing anything ... and you didn't answer my question ...

as a defensive coordinator do you give me 1 on 1 coverage with Mike Wallace with no help over top???

cbrunn
12-20-2012, 11:09 AM
And the RG3 because if the Steelers let him walk ... that is somewhere he could end up ... and I believe it would be a nightmare for the league ... Garcon and Wallace would make teams HAVE to keep both safeties back ... opens up wayyy more room for their running attack and play action game

but anyway ... please answer the question ...

OldSchool58
12-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Just saying his deep balls don't be accurate most of the time ... while this could be running for his life and not really getting set most of the times ...

Yeah, I hate it when "his deep balls don't be accurate". Can we get an Ebonics translation please?
As for your question, hell yes as a DC I'd give you Wallace with 1 on 1 coverage with no help over the top. How? First couple of passes to him my corner would knock the absolute **** outta him, after that he'd drop everything rest of the game.

steelchamp204
12-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Trade him or get rid of him, as we would say in the Burgh. haha

steelchamp204
12-20-2012, 11:24 AM
So it's Ben's fault??? Hilarious. That is ridiculous.

Ben is what we are working with. Not RG3.

Not all Bens fault, but some of the blame can go on him. He really doesnt have the prettiest deep ball pass in the game.

cbrunn
12-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Yeah, I hate it when "his deep balls don't be accurate". Can we get an Ebonics translation please?
As for your question, hell yes as a DC I'd give you Wallace with 1 on 1 coverage with no help over the top. How? First couple of passes to him my corner would knock the absolute **** outta him, after that he'd drop everything rest of the game.

Lol how did I know somebody would say something about not saying aren't ... got to love the internet ... so I guess your trying to insult my intelligence?? ... But I won't lie to you , English is not a strong subject of mine:dunno:

So your saying press at the line ... or are you saying bounty gate type stuff?? ... lol oh boy, yeah lets just give blatant penalties ... you would last really long as a Coach ... and if your saying Press , that might work but I have yet to really see him get jammed at the line like that

cbrunn
12-20-2012, 11:31 AM
Not all Bens fault, but some of the blame can go on him. He really doesnt have the prettiest deep ball pass in the game.

:yellowthumb:

OldSchool58
12-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Lol how did I know somebody would say something about not saying aren't ... got to love the internet ... so I guess your trying to insult my intelligence??

So your saying press at the line ... or are you saying bounty gate type stuff?? ... lol oh boy, yeah lets just give blatant penalties ... you would last really long as a Coach ... and if your saying Press , that might work but I have yet to really see him get jammed at the line like that

Just bustin' your chops man, no harm no fowl.
And yes i'm saying jam him on the line. As you yourself stated, many things have to happen at exactly the perfect time for a 4.2 speed guy to run a mile down the field and catch a bomb over his shoulder. Once in 50 tries it actuall works. How I would stop it is by doing two things......

1. Pressure on the QB, and I mean get in his face quick and don't let him get set.
2. Jam the living **** outta the reciever on the line. Watch the Pats corners 2 or 3 years ago. They used to rape recievers on the line and totally screw up the timing of the route.

cbrunn
12-20-2012, 11:40 AM
And yes i'm saying jam him on the line. As you yourself stated, many things have to happen at exactly the perfect time for a 4.2 speed guy to run a mile down the field and catch a bomb over his shoulder. Once in 50 tries it actuall works. How I would stop it is by doing two things......

1. Pressure on the QB, and I mean get in his face quick and don't let him get set.
2. Jam the living **** outta the reciever on the line. Watch the Pats corners 2 or 3 years ago. They used to rape recievers on the line and totally screw up the timing of the route.

You're right many things have to happen perfect ... but if you give me a deep ball QB like RG3 (which only saying RG3 cause he could end up there) ... More likely then not the ball will be on the money...

Now you're right in theory that kind of Defense would work ... and In theory that kind of Offense would work ... that's why they play the game ... Just saying I would LOVE my chances with Wallace 1vs1 , and I would take a good amount of shots down the field

Just a FYI I love the man to man tight press coverage style of D... and wish the Steelers did it more

OldSchool58
12-20-2012, 11:41 AM
cbrunn, I forgot to mention something else.

Check out those stupid *** little hitch passes to the sidelines that we like to run. Everybody in the league has figured that stuff out now. Drop your CB 8 yards deep when he sees that formation. When Wallace .......well, IF Wallace........catches that little sideline pass your CB has enough time to accelerate into him and knock his balls into his throut. Wallace doesn't like taking big hits and that'll take him out the rest of the game. Totally legal.

cbrunn
12-20-2012, 11:46 AM
cbrunn, I forgot to mention something else.

Check out those stupid *** little hitch passes to the sidelines that we like to run. Everybody in the league has figured that stuff out now. Drop your CB 8 yards deep when he sees that formation. When Wallace .......well, IF Wallace........catches that little sideline pass your CB has enough time to accelerate into him and knock his balls into his throut. Wallace doesn't like taking big hits and that'll take him out the rest of the game. Totally legal.

Oh yeah I agree our offense is way to predictable at times ... I hate the Screen plays , like screen plays work when they're not expected , not when you run them 2-3 times in a drive lol drives me nuts

and yeah NO receiver likes to be hit ... lol I don't think any receiver likes taking hits

SnakeEyes43
12-20-2012, 11:54 AM
and yeah NO receiver likes to be hit ... lol I don't think any receiver likes taking hits

But there are quite a few WR that can take hits A LOT better than Wallace. When Wallace gets hit hard, or plays a physical CB, he seems to have less fight and/or effort. Just my opinion. Granted some of the WR that come to mind are physically bigger and mentally tougher than the Scarecrow #17.

cbrunn
12-20-2012, 12:17 PM

Just to let you know Fowl is a bird ... I think the saying you were going for is No Harm No Foul

lol just playing with you man ...:yellowthumb:

Real Deal Steel
12-20-2012, 01:59 PM
I'm not changing anything ... and you didn't answer my question ...

as a defensive coordinator do you give me 1 on 1 coverage with Mike Wallace with no help over top???

From the coverages I've seen on him, they mix it up. But if you look at the O-line and factor in Ben not being 100%, they'll be more likely to give him 1 on 1 and go after Ben.

Real Deal Steel
12-20-2012, 02:03 PM
I see your point. But if your point were so valid, they wouldn't be allowing him to leave or trading him.

All the validity your trying to establish for him is moot. Because management and coaches of the team see waaaaay more tape of him then you or I. And once they factor in the TOTALITY of his game, he'll be allowed to go. So your evaluation is better then there's? I think not.