PDA

View Full Version : Mayan Calander Signals End of Era; for Steelers Too?

steelspikes
12-18-2012, 10:35 AM
Even if the Steelers slip into the Playoffs this year, nobody seems to have great expectations. The stars that drove the team to three AFC titles in the past seven years seem to be, for the most part, past their prime or lacking in "magic."
The current team seems vastly less hopeful than the 2005 team that got hot at the close of the year a went on a wild Wildcard run to win SB40.
A younger and more energetic Bengals team is now poised to knock the Steelers out of contention (out of their misery?).
It's feeling more and more like the end of an era...with players like Harrison, Polamalu, Hampton, Foote, etc., singing their so-called swan song.
Even Rothlisberger, in his prime, is beginning to wear on people. Fact is, for years he's relied on the league's stingiest defense in terms of points allowed. Though ranked #1 overall, this year's defense is giving up close to 21 points per game, ranking 20th, and eerily similar to 2009, when the Steelers LAST MISSED THE PLAYOFFS.
Fact is, under Big Ben, the Steelers have never come close to matching the scoring prowess of the NFL's elite offenses.
With the need to re-tool so glaringly apparent, is Big Ben suddenly on the trading block for 2013? Would he be happier in Arizona--"Steelers West," re-uniting with Ken Wisenhut or his possible replacement, Ben's beloved Arians?
B4 anybody goes ballistic, just remember: the end of an era is not the end of the freakin' world.

Crash
12-18-2012, 10:43 AM
If they trade Ben I hope they go 0-16.

Crash
12-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Fact is, under Big Ben, the Steelers have never come close to matching the scoring prowess of the NFL's elite offenses

Not allowed. Because once we get a big lead? We stop throwing the football.

scudmissile29
12-18-2012, 10:47 AM
retarded thread, absolutely ****ing stupid.

City of Champyinz
12-18-2012, 11:02 AM
The problem with the Steelers is very simple. Its execution....Not lack of talent. Why were there 8 turnovers against the Browns? Why do the Steelers allow 'weaker' teams to impact their season? Not only did the Steelers barely win against an insignificant Chiefs team, they knocked Ben out for 3 games! The Steelers are also too conservative. They go easy on teams. Theres little urgency when it comes to scoring points. There seems to be a 'we'll get em next time' approach in offensive series. Look at the Patriots. They have no mercy on opponents. Thats how the Steelers should play. Belichek and Brady accept nothing short of perfection. Thats how the Steelers need to be. The Steelers squander opportunities all the time.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

LatrobePA
12-18-2012, 11:16 AM
Lack a talent all the way! Our 4th string DB's suck balls!

Real Deal Steel
12-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Well, we have a coach who doesn't demand excellence from his players. He really doesn't. Then, we have a GM who refuses to use all the tools (free agency) at his disposal. And the GM's talent evaluation is highly questionable after the first 2 rounds of the draft.

City of Champyinz
12-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Maybe Tomlin isnt as tough as he appears.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Crash
12-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Not using free agency for outside help is a Rooney thing. Not a Colbert thing. For a 2nd tier guy? Sure. But very rarely do they go after a top free agent. Jeff Hartings and to an extent James Farrior are the exceptions to the rule.

steeler47
12-18-2012, 01:01 PM
I don't know I guess I respect coach Tomlin, I just do not think he's a great coach,he's more of a mental therapist than head coach.

SnakeEyes43
12-18-2012, 02:45 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_uwLc-XlBjsQ/TIXnTWQXonI/AAAAAAAAABY/VAqodDhBZNg/s320/DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Nolrog
12-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Fact is, under Big Ben, the Steelers have never come close to matching the scoring prowess of the NFL's elite offenses.

Fact is, under Big Ben, the Steelers have been to the Super Bowl 3 times winning 2 of them.

With the need to re-tool so glaringly apparent, is Big Ben suddenly on the trading block for 2013?

Good fcking Lord.

connecticutsteel
12-19-2012, 10:02 AM
I NOMINATE THIS FOR MOST REDICULOUS POST OF THE YEAR!

Real Deal Steel
12-19-2012, 10:43 AM
You don't trade franchise QB's in their prime. Gzzzzz. What an asinine statement.

Redskins just gave up a boat load of picks for their franchise QB. Remember how everyone said they gave up too much? Does anyone think it's a bad trade now????? No! Because franchise QB's are worth their weight in gold & Platinum.

Crash
12-19-2012, 11:04 AM
But I agree to some extent though. I don't believe Art II VALUES Ben as a player as much as he should.

I mean we all saw Art in the press pretty much blame Ben and Arians for last season. And then Arians gets fired and Art demands a HOF QB change the way he plays?

Laughable.

steelspikes
12-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Fact is, under Big Ben, the Steelers have been to the Super Bowl 3 times winning 2 of them.

Good fcking Lord.
I'm a huge Ben fan, it's just he doesn't seem that pleased with Haley. For years Steelers have gotten b y with a low-scoring offense because our "D" has been so stingy in allowing points.

Crash
12-19-2012, 11:28 AM
I don't think Haley's the real issue. Haley's doing what Art wants.

ART is the issue. And ART will be the reason why Ben isn't here next season.

It's coming, be prepared for it, unless the old man can smack some sense into Art and tell him to quit trying to be Jerry Jones.

Crash
12-19-2012, 11:29 AM
The offense wasn't low scoring most seasons. People need to watch HOW we play, rather than read stat sheets.

steeler47
12-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Before Big Ben got hurt he was he number 1 quarterback in the NFL with number 1 passer rating and well on his way to win MVP season. Thethe injury happened.We've had a few losses and now everybody scrambling to try to figure out what's wrong with Haley Rothlisberger even going as far as attacking Art 2, everybody just needs to settle down and realize it's just the mistakes,ball hasn't bounced our way .We are still in excellent ball club things can still fall into place. What's with all the hateing and attacking everyone.geeessshhh

Steveo
12-19-2012, 11:42 AM
retarded thread, absolutely ****ing stupid.

What he said
+1

steelchamp204
12-19-2012, 12:01 PM
This whole thing is a debacle.

Crash
12-19-2012, 12:04 PM
And Art is the cause of it.

This comes to money. Look what Peyton got from Denver. Look at what BREES got from the Saints in guaranteed money.

At 31? Ben would get even MORE because he's won more.

Art doesn't want to pay that. Period.

Raleigh Steel
12-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Before Big Ben got hurt he was he number 1 quarterback in the NFL with number 1 passer rating and well on his way to win MVP season. Thethe injury happened.We've had a few losses and now everybody scrambling to try to figure out what's wrong with Haley Rothlisberger even going as far as attacking Art 2, everybody just needs to settle down and realize it's just the mistakes,ball hasn't bounced our way .We are still in excellent ball club things can still fall into place. What's with all the hateing and attacking everyone.geeessshhh

THANK YOU!

Crash
12-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Even before the injury the offense lived on the edge too much. Roethlisberger's brilliant 3rd down play hid a lot of the warts in Haley's system.

steelspikes
12-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Even before the injury the offense lived on the edge too much. Roethlisberger's brilliant 3rd down play hid a lot of the warts in Haley's system.
Good point; hard to remember when our offense wasn't living on the edge. But actually, Steelers under Ben & Haley scoring 4 more points per game than last year's output.