PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger In Defeat

lancer89074
12-18-2012, 10:44 AM
One reason I truly admire Roethlisberger is that when the days are darkest he attempts to deflect the blame away from the team. He has done this countless times over the years.

In his position, it would be very easy to blame other players or make excuses. This all speaks well to his character or his 'true' self if you will. He leads by example especially when times are as they are now...

Mike Ditka once said that leadership and character are two things that cannot be coached or taught. The team that we all love here cannot win them all. I saw no player give up last Sunday.

I saw players who fought to the end and perhaps tried to do too much. Mistakes were made but who among us is perfect? In the bright light of fierce athletic competition no one on earth can perform without making physical or mental errors.

If there is a face to the Steelers' organization and if that face is Ben Roethlisberger, I would far prefer to have a man of compassion and deep understanding at the helm who realizes that there are even more important things in life than winning.

The bible teaches us that 'in times of adversity, you will know who your friends are'. A very dear person in my life used to say 'when there is trouble, people run'. It takes a good man to lay down his life for another and in a real way, in my mind, Roethlisberger does this repeatedly in times of adversity and is a true example of leadership and moral courage.

City of Champyinz
12-18-2012, 11:39 AM
I admire him as well. Although he did throw Haley under the bus concerning Heath Miller's vanishing act in the second quarter. Bens OT pick did seal the teams fate last week, but it was a series of mistakes late in the game that really hurt. The Steelers couldve gone up 2 scores in the 4th quarter, but Browns fumble prevented that.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Clevelandsux
12-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Ya everyone, even ben knows who the real goats are.

JShare86
12-18-2012, 01:01 PM
One reason I truly admire Roethlisberger is that when the days are darkest he attempts to deflect the blame away from the team. He has done this countless times over the years.

In his position, it would be very easy to blame other players or make excuses. This all speaks well to his character or his 'true' self if you will. He leads by example especially when times are as they are now...

Mike Ditka once said that leadership and character are two things that cannot be coached or taught. The team that we all love here cannot win them all. I saw no player give up last Sunday.

I saw players who fought to the end and perhaps tried to do too much. Mistakes were made but who among us is perfect? In the bright light of fierce athletic competition no one on earth can perform without making physical or mental errors.

If there is a face to the Steelers' organization and if that face is Ben Roethlisberger, I would far prefer to have a man of compassion and deep understanding at the helm who realizes that there are even more important things in life than winning.

The bible teaches us that 'in times of adversity, you will know who your friends are'. A very dear person in my life used to say 'when there is trouble, people run'. It takes a good man to lay down his life for another and in a real way, in my mind, Roethlisberger does this repeatedly in times of adversity and is a true example of leadership and moral courage.

I hate it every time we lose its the same scripted garbage from him every week. The fact is if you are an elite qb in this league and you have the ball with a chance to win the game and you throw it directly to the opposing team then yes it's your fault. Of course it's not just him but I think he just says after every game "oh I'm sorry this loss is on me I take full responsibility so people say things like you just said. I know a lot of people here think he's a changed man but IMO he's the same fake immature punk that he was when he started here. I love him as a player on the field but I don't believe one word that comes out of this clowns mouth off the field. I may be wrong but that's my opinion of him when he takes the blame.

Crash
12-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Ben always takes the blame, even when he's not the reason.

That's what leaders do. That's what Peyton Manning DIDN'T do when we kicked his *** in 2005.

Kordell Stewart? NEVER took blame, EVER!

LatrobePA
12-18-2012, 01:26 PM
Leaders win thus avoiding blame taking! J/k lol

coldrolled
12-18-2012, 01:34 PM
DL should stand up and take the blame...not adjusting oure game to his defense as it is...

Watching veteran OLB's sack noone for 4 qtrs is mind boggling and frustrating... 0 INT's is another whopper....

JShare86
12-18-2012, 01:38 PM
Ben always takes the blame, even when he's not the reason.

That's what leaders do. That's what Peyton Manning DIDN'T do when we kicked his *** in 2005.

Kordell Stewart? NEVER took blame, EVER!

Lol at this. That's what I'm trying to say no matter what happens in the game Ben stands up and says that's on me. I really can't believe you tried saying Ben is a leader and Peyton isn't. Ben is fake always has been always will be. He is our quarterback and on the field I cheer and support him 100%. Off the field the way he carries himself he is a punk. What other "leader" do you see throwing their offensive coordinator under the bus every time they lose? Sure wont see Peyton doing that. After each game he gets in front of everyone and says " it's my fault we loss" well when you throw the ball right to the other team your damn right it's your fault. Then a day later he gets in front of the reporters and instead of saying " that's on me" he says well we didn't call the right plays????? You are a grown man talk to Haley about that not everyone else. That's what my point is Ben feeds everyone and acts like a leader but saying is a lot easier that doing. This is the same guy in the offseason that said his golfing trip was preparation for the upcoming season hahahahahahahaha sure thing Ben. If you said it that must mean it's true right? I don't like bashing Ben but some of you need to take off the Steelers colored glasses and open your eyes to all this guys garbage.

Crash
12-18-2012, 01:48 PM
What other "leader" do you see throwing their offensive coordinator under the bus every time they lose?

Let's see those quotes. Get to work.

Sure wont see Peyton doing that.

Peyton threw his linemen under the bus after we beat him in the playoffs.

After each game he gets in front of everyone and says " it's my fault we loss" well when you throw the ball right to the other team your damn right it's your fault. Then a day later he gets in front of the reporters and instead of saying " that's on me" he says well we didn't call the right plays?

Um, no, Ben said that AFTER the game. He did not speak to the media Monday nor today.

Get the basics right first, then talk.

JShare86
12-18-2012, 02:28 PM
[QUOTE=Crash;529117]Let's see those quotes. Get to work.

Peyton threw his linemen under the bus after we beat him in the playoffs.

Um, no, Ben said that AFTER the game. He did not speak to the media Monday nor today.

Get the basics right first, then talk.[/

Sorry I didn't have the basics right Mr.Crash but what difference does it make when he said it. He goes from we lost the game because of me. Then in the same interview throws the offensive coordinator under the bus. I thought we lost because of Ben not because of Haley. Look I'm not trying to compare Ben to anyone else. All I was trying to do is look at it from a different perspective than the op. It's just the same old story he messes up then takes the blame I don't understand how that makes him a leader. I can understand if he truly felt that way but I just don't buy it. I think he just says what everyone wants to hear to make himself look better. Out of the 9 years he's been here how many times has he been voted a captain? I don't know the answer and I don't want to be called out about having my facts straight so what is the number once,twice?

steelchamp204
12-18-2012, 02:36 PM
This whole thing is blown out of proportion, the interview after the game. Ben hardly threw Haley under the bus.

Crash
12-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Sorry I didn't have the basics right Mr.Crash but what difference does it make when he said it. He goes from we lost the game because of me.

He said he lost the game. He also said, that HE was the one who called the play for Wallace when the pick was thrown.

THEN he was asked, why wasn't Heath involved more in the second half?

And he said WE (Not HE, not Haley) didn't call the right plays to get him involved more.

There's a big difference when things are said. You can say things out of frustration after a game, and then realize later you were wrong. Peyton threw his linemen under the bus a day AFTER we beat him. Which makes it even worse.

It's just the same old story he messes up then takes the blame I don't understand how that makes him a leader.

Take the blame, deflect the praise. All leaders do it.

Out of the 9 years he's been here how many times has he been voted a captain?

I believe four. Or should I say more times than Troy Polamalu and Aaron Smith were, COMBINED.

I guess they aren't liked either.

Ben became a captain in his 5th season.

Took the alleged "leader of the wideouts" Hines Ward, EIGHT.

JShare86
12-18-2012, 02:48 PM
He said he lost the game. He also said, that HE was the one who called the play for Wallace when the pick was thrown.

THEN he was asked, why wasn't Heath involved more in the second half?

And he said WE (Not HE, not Haley) didn't call the right plays to get him involved more.

There's a big difference when things are said. You can say things out of frustration after a game, and then realize later you were wrong. Peyton threw his linemen under the bus a day AFTER we beat him. Which makes it even worse.

Take the blame, deflect the praise. All leaders do it.

I believe four. Or should I say more times than Troy Polamalu and Aaron Smith were, COMBINED.

I guess they aren't liked either.

Look I knew the reaction I would get for posting something negative about Ben. Like I said the op talked about how he admired Ben in defeat. Well I have the opposite feeling watching him in defeat I just think its staged and he's fake. I dont think he speaks his mine after a game i think he tries to say what everyone wants him to. just like the way he acts with his injuries he blows them outta proportion to make himself look like a warrior. I'm not trying to compare him to anyone not: Peyton, Kordell, Troy, or Aaron. I've never looked at Ben as leader of this team wether its after a win or loss. I think he is hands down our best player by a mile I just don't believe a word he says. That's all I was trying to do was give a different perspective than the op had. Have a good day everyone.

Crash
12-18-2012, 03:04 PM
YOU DID compare him to Peyton.

Don't backtrack now that I shut you up about him.

Yeah blows injuries out of proportion. According to who? You?

That broken nose in Baltimore, let me guess that was fake too, right?

steelchamp204
12-18-2012, 03:20 PM

Besides the broken nose, Ben is a drama queen to a certain extent. You can just ask us on the forums. Most of us think that.

LatrobePA
12-18-2012, 03:30 PM

Oh boy!!!

JShare86
12-18-2012, 03:36 PM

You are the one that brought Peyton into this thread so you get your facts straight. I'm not backtracking I'm just not trying to get this thread off track. You have your opinion about Ben I have mine.

Crash
12-18-2012, 03:43 PM
What you have is fantasy.

Sort of like all those quotes that Ben supposedly says "every time we lose" when he blames his OC.

Just like when you brought up his captaincy. You implied that no one likes him because he was not named captain enough (Even though he has been named captain 4 times compared to zero for guys like Smith and Troy).

Most of Ben's problems are when fans who don't follow this team or have the slightest clue about it, jump down his throat for no reason.

steelhurtin86
12-18-2012, 04:09 PM
Not sure how some people up here can say Ben throws his o coordinator under the bus every time he loses. Pretty sure we lost quite a few games with Arians as OC and Ben was never one to throw him under the bus.

But he makes a minor comment, one that most of us would agree with, and now hes deflecting the blame to Haley and not being a man. It just amazes me how we can have posts up here about the terrible playcalling and Ben makes a minor comment about his TE who was unstoppable not being used at all in the 2nd half, and now hes selling people out to save his own a#$.

I realize because of his past alot of people are never going to be a big supporter of Ben regardless of what changes he makes or how he carries himself. I would just like all these haters to name another player on this team who has played with more heart and busted his a#$ more to salvage this season, or any other, than Ben. I dont care if he can be dramatic at times, if thats what he needs to motivate himself than so be it. On a team that has been the epitome of inconsistent Ben has put together possibly his best season statistically, in a completely new offensive scheme, with an underperforming oline and running game, inconsistent WRs, and the usual injuries. Without this guy we wouldnt have won anywhere near the amount of games we have since he joined the team, including those nice shiny lombardi trophies. So if the guy has an issue with the playcalling then hes got every right to voice his opinion as far as im concerned.

Crash
12-18-2012, 04:48 PM
People seem to forget that Bradshaw was MUCH WORSE, to his organization, and his head coach, than Ben ever has been.

Revisionist history is a real bitch.

jdehoff83
12-18-2012, 05:16 PM
Ben is the only leader this team has right now. You can have your opinion of him and thats fine. Truth is besides Ben who else stands up and says anything??? Who tries to do something ? Im a huge Harrison fan but all this BS with FB and Tweets crying about this and that .. Wallace crying about wanting big money then playing like crap on the field, not trying, lacking heart? Brown coughing the ball up, Mendy not coming to a game then saying he didnt think he had to?? you drop people like Ward and Farrior and someone needs to stand up and honestly nobody has. I hate the ravens with a passion but you cant deny the fact that Ray Lewis is their leader being in the game or on the sidelines the guy is jumping people and screaming to get his team going.. This team doesnt have that! Hate on Ben all you want but hes it.

steelspikes
12-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Has anybody considered that the hit to the head Ben took from a Dallas lineman may have negatively affected his performance down the stretch?

Crash
12-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Nope. Haley lost the game when it was 3rd and 4 and we needed 7 yads for a field goal and he had 3 WRs being covered by 5 Dallas defenders and no check downs because Miller AND Redman were blocking.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-18-2012, 06:30 PM
Has anybody considered that the hit to the head Ben took from a Dallas lineman may have negatively affected his performance down the stretch?

That is a good point and yes I do think Ben was effected.....Really a time out should have been called right after that hit.......I think a timeout was called a play or two later....which made no sense.......

JShare86
12-18-2012, 06:51 PM
All I was saying is I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth. Just Ben no one else. He is the best player on the team. He is one of the toughest players in the league. I'm not hating on Ben I just think he is as fake as they come.

LevonKirkland99
12-18-2012, 09:36 PM
He complained about the play calling in front of the media., basically criticized Hayley's play calling. If he has beef with the OC, he should work it out in the locker room.

Ben probably misses Bruce Arians...

LevonKirkland99
12-18-2012, 09:39 PM
That is a good point and yes I do think Ben was effected.....Really a time out should have been called right after that hit.......I think a timeout was called a play or two later....which made no sense.......

Ben is a tough dude...I watched Brady take bigger hits against the 49ers.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-18-2012, 09:55 PM
Ben is a tough dude...I watched Brady take bigger hits against the 49ers.

I never said Ben wasn't a tough dude......I have been on record in saying Ben is the toughest QB in the NFL......But still Ben's head was rattled from Ware giving him basically a head slap Deacon Jones style......Ben might have been a bit dazed and confused after taking that shot to the head......Ben has enough head trauma in his career that he doesn't need anymore.....

Goodfrom55
12-18-2012, 10:08 PM
Steelers ran 61 plays on Sunday and only 15 attempted rushes by RB's. This will not win games and it certainly will not close games in the 4th quarter with a lead. When the Steelers beat the Bengals earlier this year, they had 70 total plays and 29 of them were running plays.

As Elite as Ben is, if you don't commit to the running game to at least slow down the pass rush, you're wasting your time. Saw a ton of WR screens, but no traditional HB screens. Why? These are plays that slow down a pass rush.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-18-2012, 10:12 PM
Steelers ran 61 plays on Sunday and only 15 attempted rushes by RB's. This will not win games and it certainly will not close games in the 4th quarter with a lead. When the Steelers beat the Bengals earlier this year, they had 70 total plays and 29 of them were running plays.

As Elite as Ben is, if you don't commit to the running game to at least slow down the pass rush, you're wasting your time. Saw a ton of WR screens, but no traditional HB screens. Why? These are plays that slow down a pass rush.

If AB doesn't fumble the Steelers win the game........AB's mistake didn't allow the Steelers offense to close out the game with a 24-17 lead.........

Goodfrom55
12-18-2012, 10:41 PM
If AB doesn't fumble the Steelers win the game........AB's mistake didn't allow the Steelers offense to close out the game with a 24-17 lead.........

I agree way more than 100 percent. That was the game changer.