PDA

View Full Version : Ben The Choking QB

BubbyBlister
12-16-2012, 09:51 PM
What has happen to this guy and he was amazing at comebacks and long drives with a few minutes to go. Sadly he is no longer able to do that and same result as always a int. I was hoping for us to give Dallas the ball first and lost faith in Ben when it comes to this anymore. John Elway maybe your hero but sadly you are the opposite of him this season.

steelchamp204
12-16-2012, 09:52 PM
It starts with pass protection. Also, Ben hasnt really been his clutch self as of late. But he was the reason we were in this game, since the defense cant do ****.

Speeed
12-16-2012, 09:53 PM
We should not have to depend on Ben so much. He delivered the ball in the last few weeks more than enough times to put teams away. Mistakes nullified that. Just like tonight.

What has happen to this guy and he was amazing at comebacks and long drives with a few minutes to go. Sadly he is no longer able to do that and same result as always a int. I was hoping for us to give Dallas the ball first and lost faith in Ben when it comes to this anymore. John Elway maybe your hero but sadly you are the opposite of him this season.

floodcitygirl
12-16-2012, 09:58 PM
What has happen to this guy and he was amazing at comebacks and long drives with a few minutes to go. Sadly he is no longer able to do that and same result as always a int. I was hoping for us to give Dallas the ball first and lost faith in Ben when it comes to this anymore. John Elway maybe your hero but sadly you are the opposite of him this season.Are you kidding me?????? Did you watch this game? Blaming this on Ben????

BubbyBlister
12-16-2012, 10:01 PM
Are you kidding me?????? Did you watch this game? Blaming this on Ben???? Not blaming Ben at all but saying he is no longer good at comebacks at all this season. Point of this post is what happened to him when he was one of the best at it ?

Black@Gold Forever32
12-16-2012, 10:04 PM
Not blaming Ben at all but saying he is no longer good at comebacks at all this season. Point of this post is what happened to him when he was one of the best at it ?

Brandon Carr did make a great play on the football........Carr gets paid millions to do what he does as well......

Clevelandsux
12-16-2012, 10:06 PM
enough! this is nonsense!

Crash
12-16-2012, 10:08 PM
We don't use Ben anymore. We putz along with our David Paulson formation and then expect Ben to bail us out on 3rd down or late in the game.

If AB doesn't fumble, we win, and Ben WOULD have had a 4th quarter comeback after being down 10 points.

North Steel
12-16-2012, 10:10 PM
I think Neil O'donnell was behind this.:lol:FU*K

papabaier
12-16-2012, 10:12 PM
bottom line is turnovers killing Steelers all year, Unforunately for Ben, he has been instrumental in the last two losses with bad decisions at the worst time. He doesn't have that old magic, but his weapons around him have let the team down immensely with the fumbles, dropped passes and lack of discipline.

SuperSteelers
12-16-2012, 10:12 PM

It is really baffling huh. Look at the weapons this offense has now. It shouldn't matter if the defense is great, good, or average. This offense should be practically unstoppable.

SuperSteelers
12-16-2012, 10:14 PM
enough! this is nonsense!

why is it nonsense? It is actually a good question. Maybe he doesn't have "it" no more.

papabaier
12-16-2012, 10:14 PM
And no one gets on Butler's poor performance also. How many chances did he have to pin the Cowboys and kept blasting it into end zone? he's useless.

floodcitygirl
12-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Not blaming Ben at all but saying he is no longer good at comebacks at all this season. Point of this post is what happened to him when he was one of the best at it ?Ben made plays when there were none to make. Shut up. BRC really???? We must beat the bungholes. Either that or I move.

Rhyno
12-16-2012, 10:16 PM
why is it nonsense? It is actually a good question. Maybe he doesn't have "it" no more.

I agree. It is a good question. I used to have complete faith in Ben's late comebacks. Lately, not so much.

Clevelandsux
12-16-2012, 10:17 PM
ben was on his way to an mvp season when he got injured. not his fault our defense couldn;t stop anyone. not his fault brown fumbled the ball. ben brought us back. we had the lead.

NYCsteelersfan
12-16-2012, 10:33 PM
It is really baffling huh. Look at the weapons this offense has now. It shouldn't matter if the defense is great, good, or average. This offense should be practically unstoppable.

Eli Manning and Tony Romo are better than Roethlisberger and the Steelers have "weapons" on offense? Do you get high before watching games?

How exactly would we determine if he has "it" anymore? The fact that he has 22 TDs and 6 INTs in 11 games with a 64.5 Cmp percentage and a 98.6 QB rating? Or do we base it on the fact that you have no idea what you're talking about?

NYCsteelersfan
12-16-2012, 10:35 PM
I agree. It is a good question. I used to have complete faith in Ben's late comebacks. Lately, not so much.

So that's how teams choose quarterbacks now? They sit around and see which guy can lead a game winning drive?

NYCsteelersfan
12-16-2012, 10:36 PM
Apparently the lines between Madden football the video game, fantasy football, and reality have been blurred.

SteelerCountry58
12-16-2012, 10:43 PM
C'mon now...:whatever: In all fairness,Ben came back too quick and he's out of synch.
Who knows,maybe it was suggested he not comeback at all but he stepped up anyway??

SuperSteelers
12-16-2012, 10:46 PM
Ben made plays when there were none to make. Shut up. BRC really???? We must beat the bungholes. Either that or I move.

What at this point have you seen to give you hope that the Steelers can get passed the Bengals or in all honesty get out of the first round of the playoffs.

BubbyBlister
12-16-2012, 10:50 PM
Point of this post I haven't see anything this season that Ben is clutch when it's the final couple minutes and the game is on the line but the exact opposite of what he use to be.

Rhyno
12-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Apparently the lines between Madden football the video game, fantasy football, and reality have been blurred.

Apparently you walked into the wrong thread. This was not started to say Ben is not elite or should not be starting. We are just saying he does not seem to be leading late comebacks like he used to. Got it, friend?

Nolrog
12-16-2012, 10:55 PM
/smh

NYCsteelersfan
12-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Apparently you walked into the wrong thread. This was not started to say Ben is not elite or should not be starting. We are just saying he does not seem to be leading late comebacks like he used to. Got it, friend?

I'm in the right thread, unfortunately. Two threads about how a quarterback with 22 TDs and 6 INTs doesn't have "it" anymore.

BubbyBlister
12-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Apparently you walked into the wrong thread. This was not started to say Ben is not elite or should not be starting. We are just saying he does not seem to be leading late comebacks like he used to. Got it, friend? Thanks Ryno you get it! Not saying Ben is or not a elite qb. Just want to know is his confidence shaking or what is this issue he can no longer lead this team to a last couple minute drive?

SuperSteelers
12-16-2012, 10:57 PM
Point of this post I haven't see anything this season that Ben is clutch when it's the final couple minutes and the game is on the line but the exact opposite of what he use to be.

You don't need a point in this post. You have a valid topic already.

BubbyBlister
12-16-2012, 10:58 PM
I'm in the right thread, unfortunately. Two threads about how a quarterback with 22 TDs and 6 INTs doesn't have "it" anymore. Not my point.

BubbyBlister
12-16-2012, 10:59 PM
You don't need a point in this post. You have a valid topic already. Thanks man.

NYCsteelersfan
12-16-2012, 10:59 PM
Thanks Ryno you get it! Not saying Ben is or not a elite qb. Just want to know is his confidence shaking or what is this issue he can no longer lead this team to a last couple minute drive?

Okay, so let's analyze it intelligently and not based on one game.

How many drives has Roethlisberger had to lead in order to win the game? How many of those drives were successful and how many were unsuccessful? I'm seriously asking. Do you have the stats?

BubbyBlister
12-16-2012, 11:01 PM
Okay, so let's analyze it intelligently and not based on one game.

How many drives has Roethlisberger had to lead in order to win the game? How many of those drives were successful and how many were unsuccessful? I'm seriously asking. Do you have the stats? Not a stat guy but just going from what I seen this season I would say Ben would be in the negative.

SuperSteelers
12-16-2012, 11:01 PM
I'm in the right thread, unfortunately. Two threads about how a quarterback with 22 TDs and 6 INTs doesn't have "it" anymore.

Really informative and insightful.

BubbyBlister
12-16-2012, 11:08 PM
Thanks all for your post and am out of here tonight. I think Ben is elite qb but think he may have lost a big part of his game that makes him elite. How he use to be able to lead his team down the field for a last minute game winning touchdown. Hopefully he can get that back!

NYCsteelersfan
12-16-2012, 11:09 PM
Not a stat guy but just going from what I seen this season I would say Ben would be in the negative.

You titled the thread "Ben the Choking QB," which means you've already formed your opinion, but you don't know for sure. Is a bit more clear to you why this thread is worthless?

NYCsteelersfan
12-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Really informative and insightful.

You think Tony ROmo is better than Roethlisberger. Please, trying to be sarcastically insulting and being an idiot like yourself don't go well together.

ChucktownSteeler
12-16-2012, 11:13 PM
I think adding an NFL caliber running back in the offseason would help tremendously.

Yes, Ben still has it, but our running backs are not NFL grade.

steelersbabex25
12-16-2012, 11:15 PM
Alright, NOT saying that Ben is the reason why the game was lost...but really? Everyone backing Ben 100% didn't watch the same game I did. He missed at least 3 EXTREMELY easy throws and the TD throw to AB he got very lucky that AB scooped that one up. This game and the last game he hasn't been nearly as accurate as he was before the injury. Maybe that shoulder is still bothering him a little.

LevonKirkland99
12-16-2012, 11:22 PM

C'mon man, you are talking nonsense...He kept us in the game since our Defense is a shell of what it Used to be. He also threw that bad throw which happened to be in OT.

I think this team is badly coached, that's all.

Clevelandsux
12-16-2012, 11:23 PM
There was one throw he missed to i think it was to redman. It was like 3rd and 3. It was an easy throw and easy first down, and Ben threw it at his feet.

NYCsteelersfan
12-16-2012, 11:24 PM
I think this team is badly coached, that's all.

Bottom line

ChucktownSteeler
12-16-2012, 11:25 PM
Does everyone realize we have no running game to speak of. Are running backs are not NFL grade and can't get outside, hence the bubble screens.

No running game equates to no play action pass, an effective weapon Ben no longer has. We need to upgrade the running back position in the offseason.

City of Champyinz
12-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Cant we just accept the fact the Steelers have many things they need to improve on? Turnovers, reliability of receivers, run game, secondary, pass rush, turnover special teams....There are so many things that need corrected! The Steelers should consider themselves lucky on so many levels at this point in the season. They have a knack for letting teams stick around (good and bad). They dont know how to put pressure on teams or put them away early. Can anyone remember the Steelers' last convincing win this season? I dont.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Rhyno
12-16-2012, 11:31 PM
Alright, NOT saying that Ben is the reason why the game was lost...but really? Everyone backing Ben 100% didn't watch the same game I did. He missed at least 3 EXTREMELY easy throws and the TD throw to AB he got very lucky that AB scooped that one up. This game and the last game he hasn't been nearly as accurate as he was before the injury. Maybe that shoulder is still bothering him a little.

Looked like he was throwing behind his receivers a bit too much.

Omicron
12-16-2012, 11:55 PM
C'mon now...:whatever: In all fairness,Ben came back too quick and he's out of synch.
Who knows,maybe it was suggested he not comeback at all but he stepped up anyway??

This..^^^^
I had an earlier post where when Ben is shooting those short dump passes, they just look out of synch and no velocity (several one jumpers today). Long ball got 60 yards down field, but that was a straight shot. I think the shoulder is worse than they let on and Ben is trying why he can to rally to try and win, but with the injury, things are not firing properly. Could be something with sideways or fade type throws or it could be something with the flak jacket and Kevlar he has to wear. Maybe hat is affecting his throwing motion too much for these past couple of games. Just a thought.

steelchamp204
12-16-2012, 11:58 PM
My issue with Ben is he doesnt seem to improve every year. He seems like the Ben of a few years ago without any improvement in his game. Im not saying he is garbage by any means, he is a very good qb, but if he wants to be up there with Brady and Manning he needs to take more time to study defenses so he can set his line up to protect him better. Im not saying he is lazy, I just think his ceiling is much more higher than what he is playing at now. Just my opnion.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-16-2012, 11:58 PM
His shoulder got banged up around today as well....I'm telling you though and I'm not making excuses but Ben taking that shot in the head late by Ware really shook Ben up....I think Ben was done at that point and that effected him big time......

floodcitygirl
12-16-2012, 11:59 PM
What at this point have you seen to give you hope that the Steelers can get passed the Bengals or in all honesty get out of the first round of the playoffs.We already beat them.......????

Black@Gold Forever32
12-17-2012, 12:03 AM
Andy Dalton is 0-6 vs the Steelers and Ravens in his career....But this team must play much better...starting next week....

Troyisabeast_43
12-17-2012, 01:19 AM
I still like the Steelers next week at home. I will take Big Ben against the Bungles in a do or die situation to come through more times then not. It will be a good game but I still think the Steelers will find a way to win this game when all is said and done...Should be a fun next 6 days or so leading up to this game. And dont forget the Steelers still have a chance to win this division if they beat the Bengals next Sunday and the Ravens lose to the Giants who desperately will need to win now next week seeing they got blown out by the Falcons and are no longer in 1st place now. If both those scenarios take place it will then come down to the final week to see who will win the AFC North...

Crash
12-17-2012, 01:30 AM
There was one throw he missed to i think it was to redman. It was like 3rd and 3. It was an easy throw and easy first down, and Ben threw it at his feet.

First drive of the second half, and IMO would have been short of the sticks.

Funny how the arm looks good when he's allowed to throw down field.

mcfly06
12-17-2012, 01:46 AM
I blame Haley on how ben is playing, it all comes back to haley...

Zachintosh66
12-17-2012, 12:03 PM
yet another ridiculous thread...

86WARD
12-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Release him and sign Alex Smith...then get back to me.

LatrobePA
12-19-2012, 03:30 PM
As of late Ben has choked in more then he has excelled in... Just saying! No it doesn't mean I want him cut, traded or any of that silly ****, it's the plain truth!!

Crash
12-19-2012, 03:46 PM
When you try and steal wins in the 4th quarter all year? This is what happens.

Drove Elway to the bring of retirement in 1992. Then they fired Dan Reeves and scrapped power football and Elway had his best years in his final 6 seasons.

This team needs to be who they are, rather than trying to be who they aren't.

RIVERS OF STEEL
12-19-2012, 04:05 PM

Drove Elway to the bring of retirement in 1992. Then they fired Dan Reeves and scrapped power football and Elway had his best years in his final 6 seasons.

Damn, that makes sense. Great post.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-19-2012, 04:13 PM

Well said man......

scudmissile29
12-19-2012, 05:26 PM
when u toss the ball around 30-40 times a game, its bound to end up as an interception at some point, carr made a good play.

people forget he was very good at KC when paired with Flowers.

Get7With7
12-19-2012, 05:29 PM

This. The Steelers dick around for the first three quarters of a game, then they expect Ben to be able to bail them out everytime at the end. And when he doesn't....... BOOOOOOOO! BEN STINKS! BOOOOOOOOO! YINZ GOTTA CUT BEN NOW! BOOOOOOOOOO!

Screw balance. This isn't a ground n pound or clock possession game anymore. Win the game earlier and maybe the Steelers will be in fewer circumstances where they always have to hope Ben pulls something out of his *** in the fourth.

City of Champyinz
12-19-2012, 05:34 PM
This. The Steelers dick around for the first three quarters of a game, then they expect Ben to be able to bail them out everytime at the end. And when he doesn't....... BOOOOOOOO! BEN STINKS! BOOOOOOOOO! YINZ GOTTA CUT BEN NOW! BOOOOOOOOOO!

Screw balance. This isn't a ground n pound or clock possession game anymore. Win the game earlier and maybe the Steelers will be in fewer circumstances where they always have to hope Ben pulls something out of his *** in the fourth.

+1

TarlsQtr
12-19-2012, 06:19 PM
Is there REALLy a thread calling Ben a "choking QB"???

And Peter King was NOT right about Steelers fans???

teeceemadison
12-20-2012, 11:30 AM

ok, if they need to 'be who they are', then, since we are talking ben, offense, etc, after basically eight years behind center...i dont care who the offensive coordinator is, can ben more consistently call changes of plays then to 'be who they are'?

that little post game interview ben noting the play calling issues, are we still saying after 8 years ben can step up behind center and say to himself, wtf did haley call they for? and say 'no, this play(s) needs run' so that they can 'be who they are'??

im not saying every play,but if ben is going to note the playcalling lacks a certain something, shouldnt he decide at the line if there is something better, or not complain at all then?

if you are aiming for 'be who they are', then ben has to make the offense 'be who he is'....

City of Champyinz
12-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Tomlin said Ben does chsnge plays often, but with reason. He's not gonna audible just bc he doesnt like a play personally. He'll audible if the defense is showing him something he doesnt like. He did apologize for his postgame 'play calling' comments. Whether the apology was sincere or politics, i dont know.

Crash
12-20-2012, 12:06 PM
If it's 2nd and 9 and we have 3 tight ends on the field for a run play whats he going to do? Change to pass for David freaking Paulson?

The first order of business for this offense is to stop the obsession with getting scrubs like Paulson and Johnson on the field.

Three wide, a RB, Heath.

That should be their main formation.

Get7With7
12-20-2012, 01:56 PM
If it's 2nd and 9 and we have 3 tight ends on the field for a run play whats he going to do? Change to pass for David freaking Paulson?

The first order of business for this offense is to stop the obsession with getting scrubs like Paulson and Johnson on the field.

Three wide, a RB, Heath.

That should be their main formation.

That's not what Coach Art wants...

Crash
12-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Nope. He wants the smashmouth BS.

Which is why IMO Ben will NOT retire as a Steeler QB.

teeceemadison
12-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Nope. He wants the smashmouth BS.

Which is why IMO Ben will NOT retire as a Steeler QB. ugh, cant even think about that....

Get7With7
12-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Hopefully Dan Rooney makes Art stand in a corner now that he's back. Honestly, I know many Steelers fans don't want to criticize anyone with the last name of Rooney, but this guy is nowhere near the class of owner his father and grandfather were.

Stone
12-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Not blaming Ben at all but saying he is no longer good at comebacks at all this season. Point of this post is what happened to him when he was one of the best at it ?

What is different?

Hmmmmmm.....a new OC and new plays? Ben has always been exceptional in the no huddle. Wallace is not dependable, he watched while the defender got up and ran down the sideline...... AB dropping the ball.....

Ben, did his job and mistakes by others threw it away!

Crash
12-20-2012, 08:12 PM
Ben has 3 4th quarter comebacks this season which is usually the norm for him minus 2008 when he had six.

Get7With7
12-20-2012, 08:23 PM
Ben has 3 4th quarter comebacks this season which is usually the norm for him minus 2008 when he had six.

It'd be nice if the Steelers allowed Ben to put the team in a position where he wouldn't have to make as many fourth quarter comebacks. When you play close to the vest small ball like the Steelers do, the QB won't always be able to bail the team out.

Moondog
12-22-2012, 02:57 PM
The Steelers threw the ball 40X versus I think 17 runs against the crygirls....hardly ground and pound. Anyways, this team rides with Ben, he can't win them all, but I like the Steelers chances when #7 playing a lot more than the alternatives.

Crash
12-22-2012, 03:22 PM
How many screens? How many at the end of the first half in obvious pass situation?

BubbyBlister
12-23-2012, 05:22 PM
Is there REALLy a thread calling Ben a "choking QB"???

And Peter King was NOT right about Steelers fans??? Yep and reason of my post. Something isn't right with him this season.

Speeed
12-23-2012, 05:24 PM
I said that to my wife just minutes ago. There is something going on with BR.

Yep and reason of my post. Something isn't right with him this season.

Real Deal Steel
12-23-2012, 05:24 PM
Ben hasn't been Ben since before the injury.

BubbyBlister
12-23-2012, 05:27 PM
I said that to my wife just minutes ago. There is something going on with BR. Yep and hope it gets fixed before next season.

Crash
12-23-2012, 05:46 PM
It's called valuing Ben. We don't value Ben. We only expect Ben to bail us out in the last 2 minutes.

The playcalling was a joke. It's like they are more worried about putting Ben "in his place" than winning.

steelchamp204
12-23-2012, 06:49 PM
I really think Ben is tired of getting ****ing hit, dont ya think. The lack of dedication from Colbert to Tomlin to protect this guy before this past year has been awful. I dont give a **** what kind of receivers we have, if the line can protect, the Ben will find someone.

SuperSteelers
12-23-2012, 08:47 PM
It's kind of ironic Ben is trying to win a game for his baby boy and it hasn't happened yet and wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen next week either.

BubbyBlister
12-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Just seen the interview with Ben and he said blame him. He admitted to why I made this post in the first place. He said he use to be good at comebacks but wasn't this year and don't know why. He said not to panic though. Well I hope we see the old Ben next season and knew something wasn't right with him.

LatrobePA
12-27-2012, 01:47 PM
Saw it too, he said in past seasons he could do it just not this year. He said he'd be fine not to panic!

LatrobePA
12-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Ben admitting he choked this year and yet people on this board will still argue with you! lol

Ben Roethlisberger discusses Steelers' late-game woes

By Dan Hanzus

Published: December 27, 2012 at 3:44 AM PST

Modified: December 27, 2012 at 4:16 AM PST

The Pittsburgh Steelers have been a postseason staple in the Ben Roethlisberger era in part because the team always has seemed to raise its performance when the game hung in the balance.

The Steelers of recent years knew how to close. Not so much in 2012, and Pittsburgh will be sitting at home in January because of it. The Steelers have lost five their eight games decided by three points or less this season.

On Wednesday, Roethlisberger discussed why that's happened.

"In the past, I've prided myself and our team in the fourth-quarter comebacks," Roethlisberger said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette . "We've always said you don't want to have them because then you're usually not doing so well early on in the games. But we've always been good at it. This year just wasn't. I don't think there's a rhyme or reason why."

It has to hurt Roethlisberger, especially considering late interceptions in the past two weeks helped bury his team against the Dallas Cowboys and Cincinnati Bengals .

"I don't think there's any reason to go panic," he said. "I've been pretty good for eight years doing it. I had one not-so-good year at it. I felt like I played pretty good football, though, other than those situations."

Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @DanHanzus .

BubbyBlister
12-27-2012, 02:10 PM
Thanks Latrobe for posting that and think Ben's problem was the fire and the competitive nature was not there. Maybe due to the New baby and other things. I think this season will help Ben get the fire back. Winners don't like losing for long and Ben may comeback better then ever.

Crash
12-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Yeah Ben was among the favorites for NFL MVP before he was hurt because he had no fire.

Good grief.......

LatrobePA
12-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Thanks Latrobe for posting that and think Ben's problem was the fire and the competitive nature was not there. Maybe due to the New baby and other things. I think this season will help Ben get the fire back. Winners don't like losing for long and Ben may comeback better then ever.

With out a doubt.. Take care man!

SuperSteelers
12-28-2012, 05:20 AM

This^