PDA

View Full Version : Will the real Woodley please stand up/ DL play man?

steelchamp204
12-16-2012, 08:11 PM
I know Im going to get some heat for this. This season has been subpar for Wood. You might as well put Worilds on his side, there is no difference it seems. The lack of pressure on the QB can go on our front 3 also, but seriously, does Wood have any other move besides a bullrush? I know he has been banged up, but how much are we paying this guy. You can make an excuse for him for being doubled this season with Harrsion out, but in years past he tore it up without Harrison. Troy, did anyone see that tackle where he leaped over an imaginary defender just to try and get to Dez Bryants side? Or whoever the receiver was??

Now onto DL. I know his philosophy is not to give up the big play. But when an offense is averaging 8 yards per play on you, it takes only 3 plays to equal a big play. Then in the last 2 minutes of the game you decide to play man coverage??? WHAT THE ****!!!! Keisel needs to be taken out of the game more so Heyward can be getting more reps.

I am confused as hell to the identity of this team, Ben doesnt seem like he is taking an extra step forward this season at all. The lack of pressure on the Qb is pathetic, the lack of Int's/forced fumbles, Mental errors(AB). I mean is Ben seriously sliding the line into right protections??? Fans like to think Pouncey is a great leader because he brings an attitude, well either they are full of **** or the other guys arent getting it on the line.

Sorry for the rant.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-16-2012, 08:23 PM
You're right about Woodley....The amount of money that him and Troy make and they both have been injured all the time which they're not even effective when we need them most.....

steelchamp204
12-16-2012, 08:26 PM
You're right about Woodley....The amount of money that him and Troy make and they both have been injured all the time which they're not even effective when we need them most.....

It was just frustrating to watch tonight and past weeks (pretty much all season) the lack of pressure we get from the edge guys. Yes, Harrsion as well but we dont expect Harrison to be back after this season. Wood isnt as elusive as Harrison was a few years back or Peezy was in his Pittsburgh days. I said this a long time ago. Wood needs to lose some weight, maybe 10 pounds or so so he can be quicker. Im not saying he is a scrub/bust or anything like that, but he needs to get back to his old form of dominating tackles and get to the QB.

LevonKirkland99
12-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Looks like Timmons is having a better year than Woodley. Maybe Wood is still injured? I dont know, we lost another game...

Big T
12-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Woodley coming off an ankle injury that has kept him out a couple games and was spelled on full series at a time because he was clearly not 100%. Not to mention him dropping into coverage more than he rushed...again.

Let's see. Here's the top 10 pass rushers up to when Woodley was hurt, in terms of pass rush productivity (total pressure vs. times rushed). 6th in the NFL is pretty horrible.

Rank Name Team Pass Rush Snaps Total Pressure PRP
1 Von Miller DEN 260 51 15.7
2  Justin Houston KC 155 30 15.6
3  Charles Johnson CAR 267 47 14.1
4  Cameron Wake MIA 339 56 13.2
5  DeMarcus Ware DAL 233 37 13.1
6  Lamarr Woodley PIT 138 22 12.5
7  Chris Long SL 304 48 12.3
8  Bruce Irvin SEA 189 27 11.9
9  Kyle Moore BUF 100 15 11.8
10  Clay Matthews GB 291 42 11.7

How about pass rush productivity on 3rd and 4th down? (through last week, even with Woodley missing games)

But even just looking at pressure numbers won’t give you an idea of who the most productive guys are. No, you need to be able to work out how much pressure they got relative to how many times they rushed the passer. That’s where our Pass Rushing Productivity formula comes in handy.

With this little beauty of a formula I can categorically hand the victory to Cameron Wake in terms of who the most productive pass rusher in the league on third and fourth downs is after 14 weeks of NFL action. Kudos to Wake who edges out Miller, while Lamarr Woodley is up in third. You see what the Steelers are missing with his injuries keeping him off the field — Woodley has rushed the passer just 59 times on third down.

Here’s the Top 5.

Rank Name Team Pass Rushes ToralPressure PRP
1 Cameron Wake MIA 120 30 20.42
2 Von Miller DEN 120 28 19.79
3 Lamarr Woodley PIT 59 14 19.49
4 Jason Babin JAX 96 23 19.27
5 Derrick Morgan TEN 99 24 19.19

But hey. 3rd in the league in pass rush productivity on 3rd and 4th down is pretty ******.

Worilds is just as good as Woodley...

In relief of Lamar Woodley, Jason Worilds could muster only a single hurry in 25 pass rushing attempts.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/

Black@Gold Forever32
12-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Big T I love Woodley but man you have to agree him not being able to stay healthy is killing this team......I'll never understand for the life of me why the old man constantly has Woodley/Harrison drop in coverage?

steelchamp204
12-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Woodley coming off an ankle injury that has kept him out a couple games and was spelled on full series at a time because he was clearly not 100%. Not to mention him dropping into coverage more than he rushed...again.

Let's see. Here's the top 10 pass rushers up to when Woodley was hurt, in terms of pass rush productivity (total pressure vs. times rushed). 6th in the NFL is pretty horrible.

How about pass rush productivity on 3rd and 4th down? (through last week, even with Woodley missing games)

But hey. 3rd in the league in pass rush productivity on 3rd and 4th down is pretty ******.

Worilds is just as good as Woodley...

http://www.profootballfocus.com/

I respect where your coming from, but Wood has been pathetic this season. You can bring up pressure all you want but he still isnt sacking the QB and with this team probably in the lower part of the NFL in getting off the field on 3rd downs, I could care less about that stat.

Big T
12-16-2012, 08:34 PM
Big T I love Woodley but man you have to agree him not being able to stay healthy is killing this team......I'll never understand for the life of me why the old man constantly has Woodley/Harrison drop in coverage?

Absolutely him being hurt has hurt the team. But when he's been out there and healthy, he's the only guy all season that has gotten at least somewhat consistent pressure. Saying he's been pathetic this season is, well, pathetic.

steelchamp204
12-16-2012, 08:36 PM
Absolutely him being hurt has hurt the team. But when he's been out there and healthy, he's the only guy all season that has gotten at least somewhat consistent pressure. Saying he's been pathetic this season is, well, pathetic.

I think subpar can replace "pathetic" Sorry, still in rant mode:evilshake:

Crowned
12-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Woodley has always been trash, he only gets sack when being blocked by a backup tackle, a tight end, or a runningback. You never even notice a dropoff in play when he sits down for Worilds. Overpayed pile of ****.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-16-2012, 09:03 PM

He hasn't been pathetic but we needed an effective Woodley out there today and well he wasn't....Its a shame....so much money on defense sitting on the sideline this year at times.....I'm trying to behave about Troy right now....lol

Nolrog
12-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Looks like Timmons is having a better year than Woodley. Maybe Wood is still injured? I dont know, we lost another game...

I don't think there's any question that Timmons is having a better season than Woodley.

scudmissile29
12-16-2012, 09:05 PM
woodley = overrated

Clevelandsux
12-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Agreed on Woodley, he's done nothing this year.

JensK
12-17-2012, 06:17 AM
He hasn't been pathetic but we needed an effective Woodley out there today and well he wasn't....Its a shame....so much money on defense sitting on the sideline this year at times.....I'm trying to behave about Troy right now....lol

Troy needs to take a huge paycut next year. When he got the contract I thought it was fine, because he was still one of the best safties in the league (at times, arbuably the best). Now, for whatever reason he is not and he should not be paid as such. Not sure if we should blame all the injuries or the defensive scheme or his age, but the IT-factor which he lived by is gone.

As for Woodley, I was hard on him last year as well. I still don't believe that a playe who gets injured that much and is as streaky as he is should be paid the kind of money they did. Sure, he will have 5-6 games per year where he plays like a beast, but then he'll have the same amount of games where I see TEs lock him down. You just don't see that happening to an Aldon Smith or any defensive player on the Broncos defense.

Speaking of which, our d-line might be what is causing the lack of passrush. Keisel has slowed way down this year, and he is not getting any younger. Hampton has actually played better than what I expected he would. Hood is still terrible. He does not get ANY push at all and he hardly gets any important tackles. Heyward might be our best d-line man, but I'm not completely sold on him yet. At least he has shown flashes of greatness in the run-game, but I don't regard him as the game-changing sort of player which is what this team sorely needs on defense.

coldrolled
12-17-2012, 07:14 AM
Woodley? Most of the plays and screens and short passes were on Harrisons side. they stayed away from woodley....

92 is slow and sacked the qb how many times? ... He tackles great when he can tackle. He needs to be replaced by a young #1

50 wont be getting any faster he needs to be replaced by a #1

90 and 93 should have played more.

Still not sure about holding... when woodley and harrison are in a head lock.. its not holding.

when adams , starks, beachum, gilbert. apply a head lock its holding?? anyone else notice this?

The Lakelander
12-17-2012, 08:03 AM
woodley = overrated

That's not what you suggested on another thread ... what a jackass!

There! I feel better now!

Oops ... sorry ... you did agree with my sentiment that Woodley was over-rated ... and that Tomlin's drafts are weak ...

Hey ... you're a pretty cool dude!

UKSTEELER
12-17-2012, 08:30 AM
Woodley hasn't turned into the player we thought and hoped he might . . . and that goes for the organisation too . . . we stuck a load of money on him being the next Silverback, and it's not panned out.

Very little meaningful impact, tackle shy, sack shy, injury prone, overweight, too busy forging a path off the field to worry about what is going on on it.

scudmissile29
12-17-2012, 09:54 AM
That's not what you suggested on another thread ... what a jackass!

There! I feel better now!

Oops ... sorry ... you did agree with my sentiment that Woodley was over-rated ... and that Tomlin's drafts are weak ...

Hey ... you're a pretty cool dude!

schizophrenia much? lol I don't understand this LOL

teeceemadison
12-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Woodley hasn't turned into the player we thought and hoped he might . . . and that goes for the organisation too . . . we stuck a load of money on him being the next Silverback, and it's not panned out.

Very little meaningful impact, tackle shy, sack shy, injury prone, overweight, too busy forging a path off the field to worry about what is going on on it.

postgame interview last nyte, woodley noted to pompieni that he was in coverage about 60 percent of the game, again, lebeau's decision....cant be rushin the passer when you're not assigned that for most of the game.

Clevelandsux
12-17-2012, 10:46 AM
postgame interview last nyte, woodley noted to pompieni that he was in coverage about 60 percent of the game, again, lebeau's decision....cant be rushin the passer when you're not assigned that for most of the game.

i think they all were because half of our secondary was out.

Zachintosh66
12-17-2012, 10:55 AM
i want to disagree about Woodley... but i really cant

LatrobePA
12-17-2012, 10:58 AM
Was Woodley in all game?

BstripeYpaint
02-04-2013, 09:18 PM
I heard something in the direction that Woodley may not be doing the kind of work in the off season that he should do. Man. I hope that's not the case. He would benefit from a higher level of fitness.

Goodfrom55
02-04-2013, 09:30 PM
Woody needs to do one of 2 things:

1 - Drop about 15-20 pounds and really stress lower body conditioning.
2- Move inside next to Timmons - which would be unnatural to him.

Realistically, #1 makes the most sense, especially with the uncertainty of James Harrison's return to the team in 2013.

BstripeYpaint
02-04-2013, 09:39 PM
That's right. Give an emphasis to the lower body in the off season. Lamarr would gain a lot from regular workouts on an indoor rowing machine. That activity is at least 70% in the legs; indoor rowing will also benefit his aerobic fitness greatly. At the very least, he should be on a spinning bike for at least an hour a day, in addition to the weight room stuff.

When used properly, those concept 2 rowing machines are awesome. We need Woodley. I hope he reads this.

K Train
02-04-2013, 09:42 PM
harrison would be an absolute ****ing monster at MLB.....woodley definitely would not. He would be useless, id say let him play with his hand on the ground more in a 4 man line....keisel, hood, heyward, woodley would be tough to block as a both run stoppers and pass rushers. Wouldnt work as a base 43, but every now and then thats where i see woodley at his best, bull rushing RTs or beating guards to the inside.

Harrison looked like an awesome MLB when he was in for farrior a few game way back when, he was a complete unknown at the time and n one knew hed slide in for porter so easily (hence the drafting of timmons to be an OLB), but he could take on guards all dayand get under their pads with his freakish strength and it would be less stressful on his knees than trying to get the corner and being held all the time...and we know hes a beast against the run

wouldnt mind seeing:

ROLB: Draft pick this season (Jordan, Mingo, Jenkins....my god jarvis jones<3)
RDE: Keisel
NT: Hood/Mcclendon/Woods
LDE: Heyward
LOLB: Woodley
MLB: Timmons
MLB: Harrison

Hopefully land Rhodes, Amerson, or Elam in round 2

BstripeYpaint
02-04-2013, 09:42 PM
I meant to write "70 percent" in the legs. The drive in rowing comes from the legs.

steelchamp204
02-04-2013, 11:30 PM
I heard something in the direction that Woodley may not be doing the kind of work in the off season that he should do. Man. I hope that's not the case. He would benefit from a higher level of fitness.

Source?

Crash
02-05-2013, 12:50 AM
They want him to better condition his hamstrings. Butler did however give him credit for reporting to Latrobe in 2012 lighter than he was in 2011.

But they have to keep him out of coverage. He doesn't have the body for it. He's a pass rusher.

Use him that way or ship him out too.

LatrobePA
02-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Am I crazy to have a feeling they try to trade Woodley???

K Train
02-05-2013, 10:14 AM
They want him to better condition his hamstrings. Butler did however give him credit for reporting to Latrobe in 2012 lighter than he was in 2011.

But they have to keep him out of coverage. He doesn't have the body for it. He's a pass rusher.

Use him that way or ship him out too.

you just want them to get rid of everyone, they arent the pirates

Crash
02-05-2013, 10:36 AM
you just want them to get rid of everyone, they arent the pirates

No, I want them to use their talent the proper way.

You don't pay LaMarr Woodley millions of dollars to float in pass coverage. You are paying him to rush the quarterback.

K Train
02-05-2013, 10:41 AM
been a member since 2006, crash is the first person ive ever had to add to my ignore list...it feels good

LatrobePA
02-05-2013, 11:06 AM
been a member since 2006, crash is the first person ive ever had to add to my ignore list...it feels good

LMAO! Congrats man, he's a good one to be on there!

NeilPatrickBanana
02-05-2013, 11:57 AM

He's the most fun though. Everything he says is factually incorrect which causes him to revert to 1 of 4 rehearsed talking points which get presented as some sort of evidence of a grand theory.

My favorite is "Dallas, 50 yd line, run run pass"

The guys is the best comic entertainment on the board (although NYC is a close 2nd)

Real Deal Steel
02-05-2013, 01:07 PM

I added a couple a month ago. See how tranquil I've been since?? Hahahaha **** starters are handled in that manner.

steelchamp204
02-05-2013, 01:10 PM

Good, I am not alone then.

LatrobePA
02-05-2013, 01:36 PM
Good, I am not alone then.

I just added him, I'm far from perfect out here but he's not all there!

Nolrog
02-05-2013, 01:36 PM
Am I crazy to have a feeling they try to trade Woodley???

There would be an additional cap hit this year of about 1.2m if they traded him.

LatrobePA
02-05-2013, 01:47 PM
There would be an additional cap hit this year of about 1.2m if they traded him.

So it would cost us more?

steelchamp204
02-05-2013, 01:47 PM
I just added him, I'm far from perfect out here but he's not all there!

Yea you can be an *** sometimes :lol:, but atleast your post or on topic and have something behind your points.

steelchamp204
02-05-2013, 01:49 PM
I like Wood, but the thing is like everyone else says. He needs to lose weight. I've been saying it for a couple years now that he needed to lose 15-20+ to be quicker and get around the edge faster. Take some martial arts lessons to handcheck better and not get locked up. Worked well for Lloyd

LatrobePA
02-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Yea you can be an *** sometimes :lol:, but atleast your post or on topic and have something behind your points.

Sometimes an ***?? Dammit I'm not going to accept that! Needs to be all the time! lol

Crash
02-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Yeah trade Woodley. That's real bright.

How about out great DC actually do some COACHING and try something new?

NeilPatrickBanana
02-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Woodley has no explosion in his first step. His hand work is average at best. He is a pure bull rusher, in a league that's adjusted to that type of pass rusher.

His contract is an albatross.

K Train
02-05-2013, 02:20 PM
eh, the league is looking for quicker OTs to handle speed rush, theres still a market for woodleys type of player because he can put those guys on their ***

having to play next to hood is ZERO benefit for him though, he was great when smith was there

tburg68
02-05-2013, 02:23 PM
eh, the league is looking for quicker OTs to handle speed rush, theres still a market for woodleys type of player because he can put those guys on their ***

having to play next to hood is ZERO benefit for him though, he was great when smith was there

KEY to DL next year IMO, Heyward 75 Percent of the time at DE, Hood less than 10 Percent at DE.

NeilPatrickBanana
02-05-2013, 02:29 PM

You don't give 10 million per to guys who need a pro bowler next to them to be good. The Steelers were never dumb enough to spend big dough on their LBers, they constantly replenished and let them walk... but when they finally had a contender, they spent the money to keep it together as long as possible (and rightfully so)... but now we are headed to cap hell because of it.

We are going to lose Wallace and Lewis because we overspent to keep guys like Woodley, who based on nothing more than timing (already locked into long term deals with older defense), should have been let go.

50 million for an oft injured, out of shape, 8-10 sack, one dimensional pass rusher is a horrid contract...

Crash
02-05-2013, 02:31 PM
Don't badmouth the front office. Be a fan and support your team.

Real Deal Steel
02-05-2013, 02:42 PM

I was a hood supporter but now, I"ve got my doubts about him BIG TIME! That's why I"m all for addressing DL and LB (not necessarily in that order) with the first two picks.

Real Deal Steel
02-05-2013, 02:42 PM
This message is hidden because NeilPatrickBanana is on your ignore list.
View Post
Remove user from ignore list

LatrobePA
02-05-2013, 02:46 PM
You don't give 10 million per to guys who need a pro bowler next to them to be good. The Steelers were never dumb enough to spend big dough on their LBers, they constantly replenished and let them walk... but when they finally had a contender, they spent the money to keep it together as long as possible (and rightfully so)... but now we are headed to cap hell because of it.

We are going to lose Wallace and Lewis because we overspent to keep guys like Woodley, who based on nothing more than timing (already locked into long term deals with older defense), should have been let go.

50 million for an oft injured, out of shape, 8-10 sack, one dimensional pass rusher is a horrid contract...

This!

BstripeYpaint
02-05-2013, 06:38 PM
In some other article, I read that it may be the case that Woodley works out for 1.5 hours a day (or so); at the moment, I don't recall where I saw that. Let me say this: I am a BIG Woodley fan, but I don't think that is enough volume. One and a half hours of work is very definitely not enough in today's game.

I do understand that injuries can befall anyone; like all of you Steeler Addicts, I am so hopeful that our guys don't have to sustain significant injuries this season. This might be our year if we can stay healthy! Go Black & Gold and go Lamarr!!!

Edited out link to rogue site - BRC

jpele
02-05-2013, 07:30 PM
If Woodley would spend the same amount of time keeping in shape and preparing for games as he does on facebook and twitter, he might be worth his paycheck.

This seems to be a problem with a lot of players, they get their payday and become fat and happy. I personally wouldn't handout a contract without performance clauses ,owners have to find ways to keep their players hungry.

Nolrog
02-05-2013, 08:00 PM
I was a hood supporter but now, I"ve got my doubts about him BIG TIME! That's why I"m all for addressing DL and LB (not necessarily in that order) with the first two picks.

We've already spent way too many high picks on the line. Aaron Smith was a 4th and Keisel was a 7th. The reason we're in a down period is because for the last 4 years, we spent 6 of our 8 top picks on the line (including all four #1s), instead of on the skill positions we are struggling with now.

No more high line picks.

Crash
02-05-2013, 08:03 PM
Yeah let's add more defense so they can sit for 3 years "learning" the system then complain when the offense doesn't average 30 points a game.

K Train
02-05-2013, 08:45 PM
If Woodley would spend the same amount of time keeping in shape and preparing for games as he does on facebook and twitter, he might be worth his paycheck.

This seems to be a problem with a lot of players, they get their payday and become fat and happy. I personally wouldn't handout a contract without performance clauses ,owners have to find ways to keep their players hungry.

want him to stay offline? kinda nitpicking dont you think, im sure youd be online a lot if all you had to do for a living was play a childs game

steelchamp204
02-05-2013, 11:19 PM
Hey Steelchamp204

In some other article, I read that it may be the case that Woodley works out for 1.5 hours a day (or so); at the moment, I don't recall where I saw that. Let me say this: I am a BIG Woodley fan, but I don't think that is enough volume. One and a half hours of work is very definitely not enough in today's game.

I do understand that injuries can befall anyone; like all of you Steeler Addicts, I am so hopeful that our guys don't have to sustain significant injuries this season. This might be our year if we can stay healthy! Go Black & Gold and go Lamarr!!!

Hey Thanks man for the link :yellowthumb:

jpele
02-06-2013, 08:48 AM
want him to stay offline? kinda nitpicking dont you think, im sure youd be online a lot if all you had to do for a living was play a childs game

No, I said if he spent as much time studying and preparing for games as he does playing online he might be worth the money they pay him.

Real Deal Steel
02-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Yeah let's add more defense so they can sit for 3 years "learning" the system then complain when the offense doesn't average 30 points a game.

That has to change Crash. I feel ya on players sitting too long.

Real Deal Steel
02-06-2013, 10:03 AM
We've already spent way too many high picks on the line. Aaron Smith was a 4th and Keisel was a 7th. The reason we're in a down period is because for the last 4 years, we spent 6 of our 8 top picks on the line (including all four #1s), instead of on the skill positions we are struggling with now.

No more high line picks.

Sorry to disappoint you but they are going to use one of their first two picks on that D-line. They have to. There is no pressure coming..especially up the middle! If you can't fix the secondary adequately, then you do the next best thing and that is get the pass rush back.

K Train
02-06-2013, 10:13 AM
Sorry to disappoint you but they are going to use one of their first two picks on that D-line. They have to. There is no pressure coming..especially up the middle! If you can't fix the secondary adequately, then you do the next best thing and that is get the pass rush back.
Id be totally ok with them taking womack and hunt in 1 and 2.

Womack gives the steelers a line littered with potential hall of famers

all the linemen they take in the later rounds turn out to be bums (except colon, who i always liked but its time to move on)

Its not common at all to find a stud in the 3rd+ round of the draft when it comes to offensive linemen....theres a handful, but few and very far in between.

We tried tirelessly to find our carl nicks or jason peters but now it needs to be fixed.

Think about Marvel Smith, Alan Faneca, Jeff Hartings, Kendall Simmons, and Max Starks

thats 2nd, 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd...and i think we can all agree how beastly that line was even if simmons and starks were average.

As far as the dline goes, Hunt is 6-8, 290 runs a 4.6 and can bench 225 around 40-45 times....thats insane. Hes a bit older, and he needs work with technique but he has JJ watt/Calais Campbell potential. He can plat outside in a 34 on 2 downs and he can move inside and get his hands up on 3rd. Theres a handful of them to look at, but im liking hunt right now.

As far as womack goes, if hes there at 17 there only players id pass on him for is jarvis jones or keenan allen/Cordarelle Patterson

Real Deal Steel
02-06-2013, 11:13 AM
This is going to be a pivotal off-season. With a lot of twist and turns.

scudmissile29
02-06-2013, 11:58 AM
woodley = sack of ****

&

overrated

LatrobePA
02-06-2013, 12:09 PM
woodley = sack of ****

&

overrated

I gotta agree, he's been less than impressive...

tburg68
02-06-2013, 12:16 PM

Who are the D-Lineman over history in a 3-4 that provide great pressure and sacks? The Pressure from a 3-4 comes from the LB's.

K Train
02-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Who are the D-Lineman over history in a 3-4 that provide great pressure and sacks? The Pressure from a 3-4 comes from the LB's.

they still cant get blown off the ball, that cripples the linebackers.

btw bruce smith, the all time sack leader played in a 34....oh and then theres that JJ watt guy

Real Deal Steel
02-06-2013, 12:34 PM

The LB's get the sacks. But the DT gets an initial push which doesn't allow the QB to step into his throwing motion. This forces him to move to either side and the LB's clean him up with the sacks.

We are getting no push whatsoever from the middle of the pash rush. We need better production from the DT position on passing situations. IF we got that slight push up the middle, you'll see how the LB's would start getting those sacks again.

Crash
02-06-2013, 01:09 PM
they still cant get blown off the ball, that cripples the linebackers.

btw bruce smith, the all time sack leader played in a 34....oh and then theres that JJ watt guy

JJ Watt plays for a DC who values his talent.

Our DC wants our DL's to titty dance all day.

Crowned
02-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Our DC wants our DL's to titty dance all day.

Woodley must still feel he is a defensive linemen then.

Crash
02-06-2013, 01:15 PM
LeBeau's scheme:

“I got to the quarterback on one play, but the coaches told me that we are a gap team and we don’t need a Superman”

-Alameda Ta’amu in 2012 mini-camp

BlitzburghRockCity
02-06-2013, 04:52 PM
I get what Lebeau was saying to Ta'amu in the sense that the DL are asked to hog up the gaps and control the line so the linebackers can get in there to make the play. It's always been that way, but at the same time it sure as hell would be nice to see them actually get penetration now and then and make the play because the outside pass rush has been terrible the last 2 years.

If it wasn't for Timmons knifing in to make some sacks our total would have been even more dismal than it already was.

NeilPatrickBanana
02-06-2013, 05:03 PM
The LB's get the sacks. But the DT gets an initial push which doesn't allow the QB to step into his throwing motion. This forces him to move to either side and the LB's clean him up with the sacks.

This clown has me on ignore because I'm always pointing out how dumb he is.

This post is completely clueless as to how the lebeau defense works

Real Deal Steel
02-06-2013, 05:24 PM
I get what Lebeau was saying to Ta'amu in the sense that the DL are asked to hog up the gaps and control the line so the linebackers can get in there to make the play. It's always been that way, but at the same time it sure as hell would be nice to see them actually get penetration now and then and make the play because the outside pass rush has been terrible the last 2 years.

If it wasn't for Timmons knifing in to make some sacks our total would have been even more dismal than it already was.

Especially on some 3rd down and long situations.

Goodfrom55
02-06-2013, 07:58 PM
If the D Line is supposed to occupy blockers, that's great on running downs, but since running downs are no longer defined and most teams run some type of stretch running game, you can't occupy blockers as easily. Penetration on the D-line is the name of the game.

Oh, and if Harrison is waived, don't be surprised to see the Steelers move Woody to the "blindside" and have Worilds or whoever play the strongside.

K Train
02-06-2013, 08:01 PM
if harrison is cut they better have a plan not named worilds.

cant imagine harrison wouldnt come back for less though, there not THAT much of a market out there for him

Goodfrom55
02-06-2013, 10:11 PM
if harrison is cut they better have a plan not named worilds.

cant imagine harrison wouldnt come back for less though, there not THAT much of a market out there for him

Can't see the Steelers without him. His health and willingness to rework his contract will determine whether or not he is back.

Nolrog
02-07-2013, 06:46 AM
It's time to bid Harrison farewell. It's certainly not lack of desire; but age catches up to us all. His savings would be some 5.1 million dollars if he's cut.

I agree that Worilds isn't the answer (something I've felt for a couple years now) but we need to suffer through the effects of Colbert's terrible drafting and suffer a couple down years to get this mess sorted out.

Real Deal Steel
02-07-2013, 09:35 AM
Going after Kruger of the Ravens, While Flacco is holding them financially hostage makes a lot of sense to me. Adding Kruger and then taking a great OLB in the draft would go a long way in helping us address an area of super need.

I think Harrison's time is up.

I"d rather get rid of a guy a year too early instead of a year too late.

PLUS....Harrison is a target, and he's made this whole team a target as well. Moving Harrison would kind of take Goodall's spotlight off of us too.

Crash
02-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Screw Goodell. You don't waive James because Goodell is corrupt. What you do is call Goodell out.

If the Rooney's have as much clout with the league as some say? They need to start publicly defending their players.

coldrolled
02-07-2013, 04:15 PM
I"d rather get rid of a guy a year too early instead of a year too late..

Kinda like the Pats usually do to accumulate draft picks in the #1 and #2 rounds. Last year they kinda shopped hard..
Welker will get them a top pick again... he will be gone for the right pick...

K Train
02-07-2013, 06:00 PM
theres is only 3 players on the roster i wouldnt trade for a first round pick

if we could trade troy or harrison for a first rounder (even a second) id be all over it, get a high pick and unload a high salary

and welker is a FA i believe

NeilPatrickBanana
02-07-2013, 06:05 PM

if we could trade troy or harrison for a first rounder (even a second) id be all over it, get a high pick and unload a high salary

Ben, timmons, and... Help me? One of the youn oline guys?

No one is trading first rounders for Troy or Harrison, look at the history of trades... Those guys might fetch a 5th at best.

Woodley, might get you a nice 2nd rounder... God that would be great

K Train
02-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Ben, timmons, and... Help me? One of the youn oline guys?

No one is trading first rounders for Troy or Harrison, look at the history of trades... Those guys might fetch a 5th at best.

Woodley, might get you a nice 2nd rounder... God that would be great
richard seymour fetched a first, it is possible though unlikely

it would be ben, pouncey and decastro

NeilPatrickBanana
02-07-2013, 08:27 PM
richard seymour fetched a first, it is possible though unlikely

it would be ben, pouncey and decastro

In fairness al Davis us dead. Lol... And seymour was how old when he was traded? 28?

weakdraft
02-07-2013, 08:47 PM
How do you say OVER-RATED AND OVER-PAID?

BEN, POUNCEY, DECASTRO, WOODLEY, TIMMONS, HEYWARD, ..............WE GOT A LOT OF OKAY PLAYERS PAID LIKE ALL PROS.

Nolrog
02-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Welker will get them a top pick again... he will be gone for the right pick...

Welker is a free agent.

K Train
02-08-2013, 09:14 AM
seymour was 33 when he was traded

NeilPatrickBanana
02-08-2013, 09:48 AM
seymour was 33 when he was traded

what? no, that cant be right... i'll look it up right now.

He's 33 today
He was 29 when he was traded
He turned 30 during his first season with the Raiders

Real Deal Steel
02-10-2013, 02:30 PM

K-Train, Here's a thought on how one move can fix two areas:

1. What if we draft Johnathan Jenkins (DT from Georgia) and then permanently move Hood over to the DE position? Then, Our D-line would have a great head start on being dominant!

K Train
02-10-2013, 02:37 PM
i like jenkins but like many scouts have said on him i believe hes either a pro bowler or a guy thats out of the league in 3 years theres not much in between for him.

Hood is a horrible DE, i can live with the idea of hood eating himself to a NT size. I am a believer that we have a NT between hood, mcclendon, woods but i also think we have ourselves one hell of a DE in heyward once we get to see him play more i believe he will be a master of the 5 tech position, which makes me kinda cringe at the idea of moving hood to DE permanently

NT could be a need but to me it falls out of the top 5-6 needs. I wouldnt hate jenkins but id have a hard time looking at who we passed on to get him

NeilPatrickBanana
02-10-2013, 03:30 PM
K-Train, Here's a thought on how one move can fix two areas:

1. What if we draft Johnathan Jenkins (DT from Georgia) and then permanently move Hood over to the DE position? Then, Our D-line would have a great head start on being dominant!

what? lol

Real Deal Steel
02-10-2013, 06:56 PM
i like jenkins but like many scouts have said on him i believe hes either a pro bowler or a guy thats out of the league in 3 years theres not much in between for him.

Hood is a horrible DE, i can live with the idea of hood eating himself to a NT size. I am a believer that we have a NT between hood, mcclendon, woods but i also think we have ourselves one hell of a DE in heyward once we get to see him play more i believe he will be a master of the 5 tech position, which makes me kinda cringe at the idea of moving hood to DE permanently

NT could be a need but to me it falls out of the top 5-6 needs. I wouldnt hate jenkins but id have a hard time looking at who we passed on to get him

You make a good point. I'm just exploring right now on the best ways to maximize our draft picks. I saw Hood move to DE on a couple of situations and he wasn't horrible in my opinion. On a couple of situations, I liked his penetration.

I don't think that NT falls out of our top 5-6 needs. A nose tackle that can give a consistant , slight push on obvious passing down situation can make the DE and LB's more effective. But we need so much, it's very hard right now to actually say what the#1 priority really is.

IMO, I think getting the O-line to be a productive, cohesive unit is the #1 priority. But to me, that has more to do now with better O-line coaching, scheme and conditioning.

It is apparrent that they won't use a high draft pick on a legit CB, and who said there would be one worthy of the #17 pick? So...it's best LB or NT with our first pick. Just how I see it right now.

K Train
02-10-2013, 07:00 PM
You make a good point. I'm just exploring right now on the best ways to maximize our draft picks. I saw Hood move to DE on a couple of situations and he wasn't horrible in my opinion. On a couple of situations, I liked his penetration.

I don't think that NT falls out of our top 5-6 needs. A nose tackle that can give a consistant , slight push on obvious passing down situation can make the DE and LB's more effective. But we need so much, it's very hard right now to actually say what the#1 priority really is.

IMO, I think getting the O-line to be a productive, cohesive unit is the #1 priority. But to me, that has more to do now with better O-line coaching, scheme and conditioning.

It is apparrent that they won't use a high draft pick on a legit CB, and who said there would be one worthy of the #17 pick? So...it's best LB or NT with our first pick. Just how I see it right now.

if xavier rhodes runs less than a 4.5 he will absolutely be worth #17, outside of him im not sure...maybe banks.

i dont know what you mean about hood moving to DE, he started 17 games at LDE last year and his problem is he doesnt stack and shed he just tries to beat his man to the outside and bend around the corner like an OLB, but hes too slow and is easliy just pushed out of the field of play

NeilPatrickBanana
02-10-2013, 08:18 PM

So, is there some new etiquette where I'm not supposed to say anything about the stupidity above?

Really you saw Hood "move to DE" a few times? Lol

We don't use a NT on obvious passig downs, we run a nickel in those situations.

Nolrog
02-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Did I miss the part where Ziggy Hood was moved from DE to NT?? Or did the Steelers Move to a 4-3 when I wasn't looking??

Real Deal Steel
02-11-2013, 10:34 AM
Did I miss the part where Ziggy Hood was moved from DE to NT?? Or did the Steelers Move to a 4-3 when I wasn't looking??

No..I was just putting suggestions out there. Your still on top of things Nolrog.

Real Deal Steel
02-11-2013, 10:36 AM
if xavier rhodes runs less than a 4.5 he will absolutely be worth #17, outside of him im not sure...maybe banks.

i dont know what you mean about hood moving to DE, he started 17 games at LDE last year and his problem is he doesnt stack and shed he just tries to beat his man to the outside and bend around the corner like an OLB, but hes too slow and is easliy just pushed out of the field of play

Rodes is a big "IF".

But Hood was "suppose" to be put at NT on situations too. And I didn't think the coaching staff had real confidence in him being a DE. Meaning, I don't think the dedication from him or the coaching staff was there. I'm looking for clear, defined, roles going forward.

LatrobePA
02-11-2013, 10:47 AM
As long as 98 is still on the roster he'll be the "starter"....

Real Deal Steel
02-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Latrobe made me sad saying that. 98 is like a broke man in Las Vegas........done.

steelcitysfinestXL
02-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Like some of you have suggested on here already: I wouldnt hate it, but I'd be suprised to see some wholesale type moves coming from the Steelers this offseason. I dont think we'll see anything other than restructuring for Polamalu. One of my favorite all time players, but i said trade him 2 years ago. Now, they are going to let Ryan Mundy go (thank god) and who do you have to play inplace of Troy and or Clark besides Allen and Allen? They better hope Ike can stay healthy and that they can resign Lewis AND he continues to improve from year to year. He was 3-4 INTs away from a probowl bid last year.

I say cut your losses and "Hines Ward" Casey Hampton. Steve McClendon can fill the role for the time being and I love the thought of getting Jesse Williams (the DT from BAMA i think thats his name) on day 2. Kiesel and Heyward/Hood are a solid bunch. I say solid because Diesel is damn good, Cam is young and comming along and Hood is semi-servicable for now.

Hopefully James Harrison will re-work his contract some how because while Jason Worilds improved he isnt ready to be a fulltime starter by a long shot. Timmons is a STUD one game, invisible the next but he is still our most productive LB. Foote will be replaced but either Sean Spence or our 1st rounder this year. So that leaves LaMarr Woodley...

This dude has the ability to be one of the best at his position again. But when you have hamstring and Quadracep issues every season: Its because you're out of shape (as we all know he plays @ about 10-15 lbs over weight) The issue isnt the way he is used in the defense, the play calls... its the fact this guy hasnt decided, for whatever reason, he wants to be an ELITE OLB. When you throw OT's aside with one arm on your way to the QB, i think its ok to be "soley" a Bull Rusher. He also, like Harrison, is pretty damn good at stacking up blocks in the run game which goes un-noticed on most pass rushers. I think the problem is that everything has come so easy to him until now in his NFL career. For him to get better or even maintain his status up to 2011, he is going to have to work harder and harder and its obvious he doesnt.