PDA

View Full Version : The Good Old Days - A Mere Scant 2 Years Ago

Speeed
12-12-2012, 08:43 PM
I was in the shower just letting my thoughts wander (no jokes here - just relaxing) and I began thinking football. I came to the realization that for the past two years the Steelers have made just about zero really big plays. Nothing. Zero. Zilch. Watching the Steelers play these past few years is a harrowing experience. It amounts to sitting on the edge of your seat hoping they can manage to score before the next botched play. And then when the other team gets the ball, hoping they don't come back from 2 touchdowns looking like a SB contender on the #1 D.

They used to score big. Make big plays. There is none of that. Steeler games are pretty much a boring affair these days. It is like they are afraid to make big plays. Our turnover rate is in the crapper. We score intermittently with seemingly no flash or brilliance. With our offense, and our number one D, we should be winning games by 3 touchdowns on a regular basis.

The Brown helmet catch, Polamalu making diving interceptions, Harrison crunching the QB, etc. These things are few and far between. The most recent Browns debacle has taken this to the extreme. The Steelers are far from the team they used to be. Hell, the Chargers were far more exciting to watch than the Steelers.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Steelers. They could be in the bottom of the division and I would still be loyal. I am just saying I am missing the good old days. Sigh . . .

Clevelandsux
12-12-2012, 09:55 PM
they seem to be far and few between anymore. wallace td vs giants and harrison stripping flaccoof the ball last week. cant think of last time ben brought the steelers back for agame winning drive.

RIVERS OF STEEL
12-12-2012, 10:49 PM
The sign points toward MT. Imagine that.

Big T
12-12-2012, 11:26 PM
These are about the only "big plays" I can think of from this season. There are reasons for the lack of big plays this season. Todd Haley's offense is not built for the big play. It's built for long, sustaining drives that keep Ben upright. That's the one issue I have with his offense. I'd like to see at least one or two shots downfield a game, which they've actually done recently. Let's hope that keeps up. On the defensive side, clearly it's been injuries. Outside of Timmons, every playmaker we have on defense has missed substantial playing time with injuries. Troy, Harrison, Woodley. It's not a coincidence. This team has just unfortunately been riddled with injuries more than any other season in recent memory. It's a tough break but "it is what it is"... With the injuries they've had to deal with this season, I'm not too upset with where they are at in terms of the playoff hunt. Sure, they lost a few games they should've won... But at the end of the day, we're still in it with a good shot at the playoffs, ad hopefully getting healthy at the right time to make a run in the postseason. If this team has issues preparing for sub-.500 opponents, the playoffs should be a sight for sore eyes, right?

Wallace 37 yard TD over Cromartie against NYJ
Wallace 82 yard TD @ Tennessee
LaMarr Woodley sack and FF @ NYG that all but sealed a Steelers win
Wallace 51 yard TD @ NYG
Lawrence Timmons game clinching INT and return in OT against KC
James Harrison Sack and FF, leading to a TD @ Baltimore
Lawrence Timmons pick six @ Cleveland
Mike Wallace 40 yard TD against SD

Black@Gold Forever32
12-13-2012, 02:24 AM
I would put Woodley's INT against the Bengals on that list as well...sure it was a gift but still some of the DB's on this team drop gift INT's all the time....

Big T
12-13-2012, 02:26 AM
I would put Woodley's INT against the Bengals on that list as well...sure it was a gift but still some of the DB's on this team drop gift INT's all the time....

Completely forgot about that. Badass awareness on his part.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-13-2012, 02:45 AM
I'm hoping with Woodley back there will be some pressure on Romo......I want to see both Harrison and Woodley have multi sack games.....or Romo just pissing the game away......Just like 2008 at Heinz when Romo threw that pick six to Townsend........

Big T
12-13-2012, 03:23 AM
I'm hoping with Woodley back there will be some pressure on Romo......I want to see both Harrison and Woodley have multi sack games.....or Romo just pissing the game away......Just like 2008 at Heinz when Romo threw that pick six to Townsend........

One of my favorite moments in recent Steelers history. That was a hell of a football game.

connecticutsteel
12-13-2012, 11:57 AM
the good news is Allen and Brown have decent hands for db's