PDA

View Full Version : Say it isn't so!! I'm going to be sick

ANTDREWJOSH
12-12-2012, 08:46 AM
e Montana could have been a Steeler.

As the Kansas City Chiefs continue their march toward the #1 pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, fans can point to the Montana era as the last time the team had a franchise-caliber QB on the roster, all due respect to Trent Green.

In a recent interview given on The Dan Patrick Show, Montana, who grew up in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, was asked if he was disappointed that he wasn’t drafted by the Steelers.

“Oh yeah,” said Montana. “I tried to go there before…when I was looking at Kansas City and they, they said no. I think (Neil) O’Donnell was still there…”

“Wait,” Patrick interrupted. “Steelers said no because they had Neil O’Donnell?”

“Yeah. Neil O’Donnell,” replied Montana.

Patrick then asked if the fact that the Steelers passed on him for O’Donnell still “hurt a little.”

“Yes and no,” said Montana. “It would have been fun to play for them, finish off your career back at home. That would have been fun. And they had a pretty good team, too. That was the other part of it.”

But what were the Chiefs? Chopped liver?

“I was happy in Kansas City,” continued Montana. “It ended up being, you know, I went to another good team. Another good organization. Made the transition a little bit easier.”

Montana was traded to the Chiefs in 1993, though the 49ers were clearly trying to help the QB who brought them four championships end up on a team that he wanted to play for. Clearly Montana would have preferred to go to Pittsburgh but ended up in Kansas City instead.

As a result, the 1993 Chiefs went 11-5, won the AFC West and won two playoff games before losing in the AFC Championship game to the Buffalo Bills.

And the 1993 Steelers?

They lost in the Wild Card round to Joe Montana and the Chiefs.27-24 in overtime.

The 1994 Chiefs went 9-7 and lost in the Wild Card round to the Dolphins while the Steelers went 12-4 and lost in the AFC Championship to the San Diego Chargers, 17-13.

Montana obviously worked out well for the Chiefs, who haven’t won a playoff game since he retired.

Still, it is interesting to think about what might have happened had he ended up in Pittsburgh. Those Steelers teams were pretty good. Might Montana have made the difference in getting the Steelers another Super Bowl?

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2012/12/11/3754782/joe-montana-play-for-steelers-chiefs

DBR96A
12-12-2012, 08:54 AM
Doubtful.

Joe Montana was past his prime, and he was only with the Chiefs for two seasons. If the Steelers went to the Super Bowl in either 1993 or 1994, they would have gone up against a Cowboys team that I still consider the most talented that I've ever seen, or a 49ers team that was almost as loaded. Both teams had Hall-of-Fame QBs in their primes, and Steve Young had a chip on his shoulder too. And the Steelers would be left looking for another QB anyway after Montana retired.

ANTDREWJOSH
12-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Doubtful.

Joe Montana was past his prime, and he was only with the Chiefs for two seasons. If the Steelers went to the Super Bowl in either 1993 or 1994, they would have gone up against a Cowboys team that I still consider the most talented that I've ever seen, or a 49ers team that was almost as loaded. Both teams had Hall-of-Fame QBs in their primes, and Steve Young had a chip on his shoulder too. And the Steelers would be left looking for another QB anyway after Montana retired.

I would have taken Montana over Neil easily. Not a tough decision at all. Considering Neil ended up leaving anyway which led to us drafting a QB who I shall not name. Montana with those defenses and I take my chances against both those teams.

DBR96A
12-12-2012, 09:21 AM
You underestimate how dominant those Cowboys and 49ers teams were. You also overestimate Montana's ability at the time, considering the Chiefs had some damn good teams during the 1990's, and Montana still wasn't able to get them to the Super Bowl. If Montana's Chiefs couldn't even beat Jim Kelly's Bills, then Montana's Steelers would not beat Troy Aikman's Cowboys or Steve Young's 49ers.

ANTDREWJOSH
12-12-2012, 09:55 AM
We dominated those Cowboys after the 1st quarter of that super bowl. Montana doesnt throw those awful picks either. Not saying we definitely win but our chances have to be higher. Neil or Joe how can you not take Joe.

SnakeEyes43
12-12-2012, 10:18 AM
We call Neil "The Rat" 'round these parts.

ANTDREWJOSH
12-12-2012, 10:25 AM
I dont know what hurt more the picks or the fact that he went to the Jets and didnt stay and try to make up for it.

TarlsQtr
12-12-2012, 10:29 AM
The Super Bowl notwithstanding (even one of those picks was probably not his fault), Neil was an above average QB for us and the best we had from Terry to Ben.

ANTDREWJOSH
12-12-2012, 10:32 AM
I agree he was above average. Best til Ben but i still take Montana. With that defense and Oline.

Real Deal Steel
12-12-2012, 10:59 AM
Sorry but I'm taking Montana over Neil.

The QB position is a 70 percent cerebral position. And Montana wouldn't have made the stupid mistakes that Neil did.

Zachintosh66
12-12-2012, 11:29 AM
the biggest blunder is still not drafting Marino... this montana thing is no big deal, who cares

pghcityofchamps
12-12-2012, 02:35 PM
So. . . we could have had Bradshaw, Marino, Montana and Ben? Man, what could have been through the years. . .

spilled milk. . .

TarlsQtr
12-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Yeah, but getting Montana in his twilight would be like dating Meg Ryan now. The good news is that you dated Meg Ryan. http://media.jinni.com/person/meg-ryan/meg-ryan.jpeg

The bad news is that, well, have you seen her lately? :-)

http://cbsmix1065.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/meg-ryan-look-like-now-today-recent.png?w=420

Don't get me wrong. Joe is was still pretty good in KC but he was not the SF Joe.

pghcityofchamps
12-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Meg, what the Hell!!! Has she been on Plastic Surgery Nightmares? Doesn't look like the same woman from all those movies she was in.

btw, Montana beat us in the playoffs, so he wasn't too bad, even at the end of his career. He still had game.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-12-2012, 03:23 PM
So. . . we could have had Bradshaw, Marino, Montana and Ben? Man, what could have been through the years. . .

spilled milk. . .

don't forget Unitas

pghcityofchamps
12-12-2012, 03:34 PM
Damn, oh yea, good call. Wow! That's one Helluva roster of QBs that could have put on the uniform for one team.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Unitas and even Len Dawson.........lol I thought everybody knew the Steelers had a chance to get Montana when the 49ers dumped him........To quote Mikey T. "It is what it is"

steelers75
12-12-2012, 03:58 PM
I dont know what hurt more the picks or the fact that he went to the Jets and didnt stay and try to make up for it.

He was an at-best journeyman QB that the Jets MASSIVELY overpaid. I really can't fault him for going after the big payday.

TarlsQtr
12-12-2012, 04:56 PM
He was an at-best journeyman QB that the Jets MASSIVELY overpaid. I really can't fault him for going after the big payday.

Overpaid, maybe, but no way a "journeyman." Neil was a top 10 QB for most of his career and had the best ratio of interceptions to passes thrown in NFL history until Aaron Rodgers. He was just never forgiven for Super Bowl XXX even though one INT was not his fault. Even if the WR reads the D wrong and goes the wrong way, the INT still goes on the QB stat sheet.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Overpaid, maybe, but no way a "journeyman." Neil was a top 10 QB for most of his career and had the best ratio of interceptions to passes thrown in NFL history until Aaron Rodgers. He was just never forgiven for Super Bowl XXX even though one INT was not his fault. Even if the WR reads the D wrong and goes the wrong way, the INT still goes on the QB stat sheet.

Neil O'Donnell top ten NFL QB?......Neil was solid with the Steelers but I would have never put him in the top 10 of NFL QB's.......Neil was best at protecting the football and not making mistakes.......A good fit for Cowher's power running game offense......I also remember O'Donnell really well since I was teenager when he played for the Steelers.......That time in the early/mid 90s there was a ton of really good QB's.........Troy Aikman, Brett Favre,Dan Marino, John Elway, Steve Young, Warren Moon, Jim Kelly, Randall Cunningham, Drew Bledsoe.....I'm sure some names are slipping my mind right now as well so it would be hard to place O'Donnell in the top 10 during that time........

NeilPatrickBanana
12-12-2012, 06:42 PM

COREY HOLLIDAY!!!!

ChucktownSteeler
12-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Steelers also cut Ed O'Neil and James Traficant.

What a roster we could have had.