PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Still Mired in Scoring Mediocrity

steelspikes
12-11-2012, 05:56 PM
After learning of the Cam Cameron firing, I decided to look at the only team offensive stat I value: points-per-game (ppg.).
Baltimore is averaging 25.5 ppg. this season. This is in the top ten in the NFL, top 4 in the AFC. The other 3 leading AFC teams are, not surprisingly, New England, Denver, and Houston: the other Division leaders.
For some perspective--the Steelers have never averaged above 25 ppg. in the Rothlisberger era. Last year we averaged 20 ppg., which is probably why former O.C Bruce Arians was fired.
This year, discounting the three games Ben missed, the offense is averaging 23 ppg. (Our actual avg. is 21.4, ranking us 21rst in the NFL). Personally, I'd hoped that new O.C. Todd Haley could propel us above 25 ppg. Barring a scoring barrage in the next three weeks, that is not likely to happen; It's only a minor improvement.
Understand...installing a new offense is a complicated task. Next year will be the real test as to whether or not the Haley system will get this team out of scoring mediocrity purgatory (where it seemingly has lived forever).
Unless the Steelers can elevate their scoring soon (which seems unlikely given the offensive line woes) this season will be a failure.
For far too long, this team has over-relied on a stingy defense. But it's getting harder and harder to limit other teams' scoring. Though top-rated, this year's Steeler defense is allowing 20 ppg. That leaves very little margin for error.
Three times this year the Steelers have given up over 30 points, while ourselves achieving that mark only once. Only once this year have we scored 4 TDs in a game. The Ravens did that last Sunday and then fired their O.C! I guess it's just a question of differing expectations.

K Train
12-11-2012, 10:37 PM
easy to talk about a poor average when ben misses 4 games and that average drives wayyyyyy down

also the ravens run the ball much better, ya know with a good run blocking line and a top 5 RB

Goodfrom55
12-11-2012, 11:08 PM
easy to talk about a poor average when ben misses 4 games and that average drives wayyyyyy down

also the ravens run the ball much better, ya know with a good run blocking line and a top 5 RB

thank you.

steelspikes
12-12-2012, 10:34 AM

If u read post, you'll see I factored in games Ben missed; still only 23 ppg.avg.

steelspikes
12-12-2012, 10:50 AM
thank you.
Penalty for failure to read post...late hit....piling on.