PDA

View Full Version : Why hate on Mike Tomlin?

steelchamp204
12-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Tomlin is going on his 6th FULL season this season and just let me throw this out there since everyone forgets of what Tomlin has done with this team so far.

62-31 for career coaching record in the regular season.

5-3 in playoffs

4 division titles

2 AFC championships

1 super bowl

When you haters have time, please tell us who you would want coaching this team right now? Or why Tomlin shouldnt have been hired the HC position and who you wanted when BC retired. Please tell me Whiz. Tomlin is the whipping boy when we lose, I can understand that to a degree. On this board for some reason, when we win, he gets jack **** for credit.

Im not going to say Tomlin is the greatest ****ing coach in the league by any means. But damn, if Tomlin got fired today as head coach, he would have another NFL head coaching job by the days end. Yes, he probably doesnt prepare the team as well as he should but the man is only 40 years old. Give him a few more seasons as he will continue to grow as a coach and then we can make a say on whether he was good or not.

As of right now he is doing fine. With the injuries we have had this season, I think 7-6 is pretty decent. I had them going 10-6 to finish the season which could still probably happen, but this team is not going 12-4 every single season like it has for the past 3 out of 4 seasons.

Raleigh Steel
12-11-2012, 01:52 PM
I'm not in the fire tomlin crowd but there are things that drive me up the wall. Mainly how we are usually unprepared to play inferior opponents. Last Sunday was the 5th time this season. That's beyond a trend. And this happens every year!

What he should get credit for is his preparation for quality opponents. He doesn't get the credit he deserves for those games.

But it's about time in his tenure that the inconsistencies need to cease. Every team deals with injuries. Inferior opponents are banged up and outplay us on a consistent basis. That needs to change.

But, no, don't count me in the fire tomlin crowd...but he deserves criticism when games like SD happen.

LASVEGASGUY
12-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Tomlin is going on his 6th FULL season this season and just let me throw this out there since everyone forgets of what Tomlin has done with this team so far.

62-31 for career coaching record in the regular season.

5-3 in playoffs

4 division titles

2 AFC championships

1 super bowl

When you haters have time, please tell us who you would want coaching this team right now? Or why Tomlin shouldnt have been hired the HC position and who you wanted when BC retired. Please tell me Whiz. Tomlin is the whipping boy when we lose, I can understand that to a degree. On this board for some reason, when we win, he gets jack **** for credit.

Im not going to say Tomlin is the greatest ****ing coach in the league by any means. But damn, if Tomlin got fired today as head coach, he would have another NFL head coaching job by the days end. Yes, he probably doesnt prepare the team as well as he should but the man is only 40 years old. Give him a few more seasons as he will continue to grow as a coach and then we can make a say on whether he was good or not.

As of right now he is doing fine. With the injuries we have had this season, I think 7-6 is pretty decent. I had them going 10-6 to finish the season which could still probably happen, but this team is not going 12-4 every single season like it has for the past 3 out of 4 seasons.

Why do all you Tomlin supporters always ask who would replace Tomlin like we already know the answer. Tell me who the **** was Bill Cowher or Mike Tomlin before they were hired? It's possible the next great head coach isn't on anyone's list because they are buried on someone's staff and we don't know who they are. So rather than discuss who would replace Tomlin how about we discuss firing him first than worry about his replacement second.

scudmissile29
12-11-2012, 01:56 PM
His preparation.

Give me his record against .500 teams

steelchamp204
12-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Why do all you Tomlin supporters always ask who would replace Tomlin like we already know the answer. Tell me who the **** was Bill Cowher or Mike Tomlin before they were hired? It's possible the next great head coach isn't on anyone's list because they are buried on someone's staff and we don't know who they are. So rather than discuss who would replace Tomlin how about we discuss firing him first than worry about his replacement second.

Why would you want him fired to begin with? Let me guees, O well, he isn't doing so hot without Cowhers players skit.

SnakeEyes43
12-11-2012, 02:09 PM
I don't want to fire him, but the fact that our team has so much talent and constantly underperforms is infuriating. Maybe it's not all his fault, but at times this team seems grossly underprepared.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-11-2012, 02:09 PM

yea, that makes total sense... if you've never been in charge of anything in your life...

steelchamp204
12-11-2012, 02:11 PM
His preparation.

I dont have time to look that up, I will say this. The teams that he has losing records to are these team.

Bears 0-1
Bronco's 1-2
Saints 0-1
Jets 1-2
Raiders 1-2

Thats regular season, bot postseason

He is 6-6 against the ravens in regular season 2-0 in playoffs

9-2 against the Bengals during regular season
9-2 against the Browns during regular season

NeilPatrickBanana
12-11-2012, 02:17 PM
His preparation.

9 losses in 6 seasons

HOLY CRAP!!!

steelchamp204
12-11-2012, 02:20 PM
9 losses in 6 seasons

HOLY CRAP!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Tomlin

NeilPatrickBanana
12-11-2012, 02:21 PM
I don't want to fire him, but the fact that our team has so much talent and constantly underperforms is infuriating. Maybe it's not all his fault, but at times this team seems grossly underprepared.

Maybe it's time to recognize that the talent level isn't that great right now...

Right Now :
QB : Elite
RB : Below Average
WR : Above Average
TE : Good
Oline : Below Average
Dline : Average
LB/Pass Rush : Below Average
LB/Run Support : Good
LB/Coverage : Average
DB Coverage : Above Average
DB Playmaking : Below Average

NeilPatrickBanana
12-11-2012, 02:22 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Tomlin

what?

NYCsteelersfan
12-11-2012, 02:23 PM
yea, that makes total sense... if you've never been in charge of anything in your life...

If you were in charge, you would trade the whole team for Andrew Luck and then ask him to practice in private for you with his shirt off.

Go back to watching ESPN. This forum is mostly comprised of free-thinkers. Not sheep.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-11-2012, 02:24 PM
If you were in charge, you would trade the whole team for Andrew Luck and then ask him to practice in private for you with his shirt off.

If you knew anything about football it would've shown by now

steelchamp204
what?

Thought you were being a smartass when you said "Tomlin only lost 9 games in 6 seasons" sorry lol.

NeilPatrickBanana
Thought you were being a smartass when you said "Tomlin only lost 9 games in 6 seasons" sorry lol.

Only lost 9 games to below 500 teams

steelchamp204
12-11-2012, 02:25 PM

Ok, my mistake. Thats pretty damn good, where did you find that? Just asking.

NYCsteelersfan
12-11-2012, 02:25 PM
If you knew anything about football it would've shown by now

You know nothing and it has already showed. "Luck is more talented than Roethlisberger." Just go away and comeback when you take your head out of ESPN's a$$hole.

steelchamp204
12-11-2012, 02:27 PM
You know nothing and it has already showed. "Luck is more talented than Roethlisberger." Just go away and comeback when you take your head out of ESPN's a$$hole.

Stay on topic please. Thread doesnt need jacked on the second page.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-11-2012, 02:28 PM

no, you know nothing poopie head

NeilPatrickBanana
12-11-2012, 02:31 PM
Ok, my mistake. Thats pretty damn good, where did you find that? Just asking.

up in my dumb brain that recalls every stupid loss...
here's what I have... feel free to fact check me
2007 : 2 - Denver and NYJ.... we also lost to Arizona that year, but I think they were 8-8.
2008 : none
2009 : 4 - This is the year... we lost to a bad Chicago team early in the season. Then came the trifecta... KC in OT, then the Gradkowski debacle, followed by Cleveland
2010 : none
2011 : none
2012 : 3 - This year, Cle, Oak, and Ten

NYCsteelersfan
12-11-2012, 02:31 PM
Stay on topic please. Thread doesnt need jacked on the second page.

His only response to people who give reasons for Tomlin to be fired is to call them racists or idiots, so I'll call him an idiot for wanting to keep Tomlin. I'm right on topic.

steelchamp204
12-11-2012, 02:33 PM
His only response to people who give reasons for Tomlin to be fired is to call them racists or idiots, so I'll call him an idiot for wanting to keep Tomlin. I'm right on topic.

Ok, thanks man.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-11-2012, 02:33 PM

You can give good reasons for wanting Tomlin fired. (You haven't done that). You may NOT use the Cowher excuse and you may NOT make up **** about how Tomlin behaves behind closed doors and situations to which you have nothing but fantasy land hatred.

You may not write off winning a super bowl 2 years later as winning with Cowher's guys and that Cowher left his coaching "instilled" for 2 years... that kind of stuff makes you kinda look like a big ol dummy, who knows nothing about what goes into coaching.

Real Deal Steel
12-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Here's why Tomlin is under fire.

1. Game day management skills are bad
2. Players don't seem to respond to what he says after the fact.
3. Doesn't seem to have control over his own defensive coordinator
4. Doesn't show leadership in adversity
5. Hasn't taken control of the conditioning of the O-line when it's obvious there's been a problem atleast 3 years.
6. Doesn't hold players accountable (allowing Wallace to loaf for example) but he's made a slight effort in benching Mendy
7. Doesn't pay attention to the little things and doesn't insist on perfection

These are the areas he's lacking.

NYCsteelersfan
12-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Five reasons to fire Tomlin:

1. No improvement to the offensive line in 6 seasons.
2. No improvement to the secondary in 6 seasons.
3. Complete decline of a competent and consistent running game in 6 seasons.
4. Sticking with an inept offensive coordinator until ownership was forced to step in and call for a change.
5. asinine clock management, incapable of maintaining leads, poor use of challenges and lack of preparation against bad teams.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-11-2012, 02:42 PM

2. Players don't seem to respond to what he says after the fact.
4. Doesn't show leadership in adversity
5. Hasn't taken control of the conditioning of the O-line when it's obvious there's been a problem atleast 3 years.
6. Doesn't hold players accountable (allowing Wallace to loaf for example) but he's made a slight effort in benching Mendy
7. Doesn't pay attention to the little things and doesn't insist on perfection

1. Game Day skills aren't the best.... but better then half the league (do you guys watch some of these coaches?)
2. Too subjective... mostly just a hyperbole comment
3. Completely disagree... we've seen move press and M2M... and it comes from Tomlin post 2009 debacle
4. Arizona Super Bowl.... Comeback win over Baltimore playoffs.... plenty of comeback wins in career
5. Really? Where do you get the conditioning problem? Knee and ankle injuries aren't conditioning related.
6. Hampton out of shape. Benching McFadden in past. Benching Oline guys in past (Kemo).
7. More made up hyperbole.

The truth is... it's REALLY difficult to judge a head coach on anything more then his record. I mean, you can make **** up in your head like some of the above subjective statements that aren't supported by much of anything but your own "feeling" and "guess work". And you CAN be highly critical of game day decisions (clock management, situational play/decisions, challenges, etc.... the real hard truth, is that outside of the gameday decisions you are witness to, the 95% of what coaches do is completely out of your purview. You simply do NOT know what you are talking about... so why are you pretending to?

focusing on more then overall record is something pretenders do...

TarlsQtr
12-11-2012, 02:44 PM
My comments are in red.

1. Game day management skills are bad Fair enough
2. Players don't seem to respond to what he says after the fact.The objective measure of this is...?
3. Doesn't seem to have control over his own defensive coordinator If he took too much control over the number 1 D in football, he would be nuts.
4. Doesn't show leadership in adversity The objective measure of this is...?
5. Hasn't taken control of the conditioning of the O-line when it's obvious there's been a problem atleast 3 years.What objective measure do you have that the O-Line is less conditioned than other teams? Their injuries have been far more the "having someone fall on your leg" variety than sucking wind.
6. Doesn't hold players accountable (allowing Wallace to loaf for example) but he's made a slight effort in benching Mendy We have no idea what happens in the locker room. A good coach usually does not hold players accountable, they have a culture where the players hold each other accountable. Today's athletes laugh at benchings and fines which are the hammer and wrench of a coach's toolbox.
7. Doesn't pay attention to the little things and doesn't insist on perfection Objective measure? On what evidence do you make this claim?

NeilPatrickBanana
12-11-2012, 02:46 PM

4. Sticking with an inept offensive coordinator until ownership was forced to step in and call for a change.
5. asinine clock management, incapable of maintaining leads, poor use of challenges and lack of preparation against bad teams.

1. Factually false
2. Factually false
3. True, but a decline in competent talent as well as injuries play a role
4. Tomlin pushed for that change
5. True and False - for every example of bad clock management, I can also point to an example of good.

steelchamp204
12-11-2012, 02:53 PM

1. I like where the offensive line is now compared to what it was a few years back. There is some imporvement in my opininon.
2. With the rise of Keenan Lewis this season, this is a true statement. Will Gay hurt us along with Ike at times. The issue with me is the inability to creat int's in the secondary.
3. Run game has been sucking the past few years. I will put that on Tomlin/Arians
4. Give you that one
5. This is the difference between Tomlin and Billicheck and the greats. I think this will come along more when Mike has been here longer. He is still young as a coach and I think he will improve on this area of work in the next few years.

I thinbk Tomlin is fine, he is only 40 years old. If nothing improves the next 3 seasons, then yes. Get rid of him.

NYCsteelersfan
12-11-2012, 03:00 PM
1. Factually false
2. Factually false
3. True, but a decline in competent talent as well as injuries play a role
4. Tomlin pushed for that change
5. True and False - for every example of bad clock management, I can also point to an example of good.

That's why it's not worth responding to you. You pawn off your opinion as "factual." Just like "Luck is more talented than Roethlisberger" because you watched him play in college and you know.

Your favorite channel is on. Go watch some coverage of the Patriots/Texans game and go see what good teams do to man to man coverage.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-11-2012, 03:11 PM
I don't understand the no improvement of the OL since our first two picks this past draft were OL and really both DeCastro/Adam's rookie seasons were lost due to injury.....You can't judge those two yet.....Adams was starting to show signs until he was injured and DeCastro of course hasn't seen the field yet........Pouncey was taken in the first back in 2010 and Marcus Gilbert was drafted in the 2nd round in 2011.....That is four high draft picks spent on the OL since 2010.......It takes time for young players to develop.......

I have issues with Tomlin myself but attempts have been made to improve the OL and hopefully these young players can stay healthy and develop..........

NeilPatrickBanana
12-11-2012, 03:15 PM
That's why it's not worth responding to you. You pawn off your opinion as "factual." Just like "Luck is more talented than Roethlisberger" because you watched him play in college and you know.

Your favorite channel is on. Go watch some coverage of the Patriots/Texans game and go see what good teams do to man to man coverage.

no, those first 2 statements you made:

Those are factually false

See facts are something that can be measured or proven. And there are ACTUAL numbers that represent Oline play and Secondary play. So if you take those numbers from 2008/2009 and compare them to 2011/2012 and state that their has been "NO Improvement"... that is FACTUALLY NOT TRUE.

Your not much for facts, so I can see how this might come as a surprise to you

Even if numbers and facts aren't really your thing... let's try this

Hartwig to Pouncey
Stapleton/Essex to Foster
John Scott to Gilbert/Adams

I mean, just on the surface you'd have to be a moron to claim we haven't improved the oline

2009 - 50 sacks against
2011 - 42 sacks against

That's a difference of a half a sack per game... That's just ONE stat.

LevonKirkland99
12-11-2012, 03:24 PM
Tomlin is not a good fit for this team. But keep Tomlin if we're going to re-build since the defense is getting old.

I don't see Tomlin getting another contract..

NeilPatrickBanana
12-11-2012, 03:43 PM

2009 16th against the pass - 6.9 YPA
2010 12th against the pass - 6.3 YPA
2011 1st against the pass - 5.6 YPA
2012 1st against the pass - 5.7 YPA

I mean... come on

Is that like your thing here? You spew a bunch of nonsense, and no one ever calls you on it?

Black@Gold Forever32
12-11-2012, 03:44 PM
no, those first 2 statements you made:

Those are factually false

See facts are something that can be measured or proven. And there are ACTUAL numbers that represent Oline play and Secondary play. So if you take those numbers from 2008/2009 and compare them to 2011/2012 and state that their has been "NO Improvement"... that is FACTUALLY NOT TRUE.

Your not much for facts, so I can see how this might come as a surprise to you

Even if numbers and facts aren't really your thing... let's try this

Hartwig to Pouncey
Stapleton/Essex to Foster
John Scott to Gilbert/Adams

I mean, just on the surface you'd have to be a moron to claim we haven't improved the oline

2009 - 50 sacks against
2011 - 42 sacks against

That's a difference of a half a sack per game... That's just ONE stat.

Hartwig, Stapleton, Essux, Jon Scott.........just terrible......terrible........

LevonKirkland99
12-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Tomlin also lost to the 1) Raiders 2) chargers 3) Browns....etc.

Are people saying he's gonna win three in a row now. Yep. Limp to the playoffs and loose! Yay!

LASVEGASGUY
12-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Why would you want him fired to begin with? Let me guees, O well, he isn't doing so hot without Cowhers players skit.

We lost to the Raiders, Browns, Titans and Chargers. That's not an accident that's a problem. Even the players are starting to sound off about not being prepared. How do you beat the Ravens one week and not be prepared at home to play the lowly Chargers with the playoffs on the line? This is a coach that has lost his players and it is starting to show. You can only spew so many gay cliche's throughout the season before the team starts thinking this guy is a jackoff.

LASVEGASGUY
12-11-2012, 04:31 PM

I mean... come on

Is that like your thing here? You spew a bunch of nonsense, and no one ever calls you on it?

Thank you Lebeau for not letting Tomlin anywhere near the secondary. If Tomlin was that good coaching the secondary the Vikings wouldn't have had a 31st ranked pass defense before he left.

LASVEGASGUY
12-11-2012, 04:36 PM

That's not accurate. I am sure we've lost to teams that were below .500 when we played them but ended the season at 8-8 or above.

NYCsteelersfan
12-11-2012, 04:38 PM

I mean... come on

I mean you're a sneaky little piece of $hit for purposely showing the numbers from 2010. The pass was 3rd in 2007 and 1st in 2008. So it actually improved from 2007 to 2008 and then declined from 2009-2010. Those numbers are just averages regardless. If the Steelers give up 400 yards against the Patriots and then shut out the Browns with only 150 yards in each game, then there defensive pass average for the 3 games would be 233 yards per game. The average never tells the whole story. And all your stats that supposedly PROVE the offensive line has improved are nonsensical. Going from 50 sacks to 43 sacks in a season isn't an accomplishment when Roethlisberger has been hit 78 times in 2009, 78 times in 2010 and 77 times in 2011. He gets sacked 7 less times, that can just mean he threw the ball away faster seven additional times to avoid getting knocked to the ground. The hits give a more clear picture as to how much pressure the QB is facing behind his line. And All a person has to do is watch a Steelers game to see that he never has consistently comfortable seconds in the pocket. You don't need a sniveling fantasy geek looking up stats on NFL.com.

No team in this league, with the current rules is going to hold playoff teams to regular season defensive pass averages. Whoever thinks the Steelers pass defense will hold Brady or Manning to 169.7 yards is an idiot. The same kind of idiot that would say Luck is more talented and will be better than Roethlisberger based on his college stats. The secondary can't make big stops in tight situations. And they definitely can't force turnovers. One player on the Giants has as many INTs as the entire Steelers team. Take your idiotic averages into the playoffs against a playoff team and go stare at your Andrew Luck fathead.

JenZwain
12-11-2012, 04:49 PM
What good is having the #1 defense when you lose to the Browns, Titans, Chargers, and Raiders?

Also, at what point does Tomlin hurt the team by as projected this week, having Mendenhall inactive? unless he is hurt he should at least be active...If he is dead set on not playing him, or resigning him, then cut his ***, and bring in a free agent to help the team.

I can't wait to hear the real story of what happened between Tomlin and Mendenhall. those two dont seem to get along well.

LASVEGASGUY
12-11-2012, 04:50 PM
No team in this league, with the current rules is going to hold playoff teams to regular season defensive pass averages. Whoever thinks the Steelers pass defense will hold Brady or Manning to 169.7 yards is an idiot.

We would be hard pressed to hold Brady or Manning under 400 yards. We will get carved like a Thanksgiving day turkey. Even Tebow threw for 312 yards against us in the playoffs.

JenZwain
12-11-2012, 04:55 PM
We would be hard pressed to hold Brady or Manning under 400 yards. We will get carved like a Thanksgiving day turkey. Even Tebow threw for 312 yards against us in the playoffs.

Last year i think it was Lebeau played aggressive coverage against Brady and we had a great game defensively. But of course it worked, so Lebeau hasnt used it since. Instead he prefers to give a 10 yard cushion and let WR's catch and break tackles.

Doesnt make much sense.

NYCsteelersfan
12-11-2012, 04:56 PM

lol....Tebow with 312 yards. I still can't believe that actually happened to this day. Manning was rusty that first game he played us and threw for 250 yard 2 TDs and 0 INTs. Just imagine in the playoffs at full steam. And Brady? I rather lose out and get another high draft pick than have him embarrass this team in Foxboro.

NYCsteelersfan
12-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Last year i think it was Lebeau played aggressive coverage against Brady and we had a great game defensively. But of course it worked, so Lebeau hasnt used it since. Instead he prefers to give a 10 yard cushion and let WR's catch and break tackles.

Doesnt make much sense.

They'll end up ten yards behind the receiver if they play man to man. What difference does it make when Tomlin kept giving him the same goons to throw out there?

JenZwain
12-11-2012, 05:07 PM
They'll end up ten yards behind the receiver if they play man to man. What difference does it make when Tomlin kept giving him the same goons to throw out there?

Unfortunately, thats all the Steelers have to put on the field at this moment. Troy wasn't nearly as dynamic as he's been in past years. Taylor was hurt, and Brown was a hot target after he blew coverage early and often. Lebeau gave him no help either. And the D line wasn't able to get any sort of good pressure on the QB. Harrison is getting healthy, but he can't be all over the field. And Foote, just doesnt have the speed to stay with WR's.

I've been a LeBeau fan for a long time, but it's time for a new approach. Other teams know exactly what we're gonna do, and we do nothing to change it up.

You either draft some dynamic players that can play LeBeau's complex scheme, or you dumb it down, and let these guys react and play.

NYCsteelersfan
12-11-2012, 05:12 PM
I've been a LeBeau fan for a long time, but it's time for a new approach. Other teams know exactly what we're gonna do, and we do nothing to change it up.

You either draft some dynamic players that can play LeBeau's complex scheme, or you dumb it down, and let these guys react and play.

That's a valid point. The NFL has changed dramatically over the last 10 years. The defensive players really aren't even allowed to play defense like they were taught. Might as well just let them run around like idiots and create havoc instead of trying to play chess.

His regular season defensive averages are great, but he gets exposed quite often by good and bad offenses. You can actually almost guarantee exposure by the good offenses. It would be nice to see how much of a difference personnel changes would make before letting him go, though.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-11-2012, 05:19 PM
I mean you're a sneaky little piece of $hit for purposely showing the numbers from 2010. The pass was 3rd in 2007 and 1st in 2008. So it actually improved from 2007 to 2008 and then declined from 2009-2010. Those numbers are just averages regardless. If the Steelers give up 400 yards against the Patriots and then shut out the Browns with only 150 yards in each game, then there defensive pass average for the 3 games would be 233 yards per game. The average never tells the whole story. And all your stats that supposedly PROVE the offensive line has improved are nonsensical. Going from 50 sacks to 43 sacks in a season isn't an accomplishment when Roethlisberger has been hit 78 times in 2009, 78 times in 2010 and 77 times in 2011. He gets sacked 7 less times, that can just mean he threw the ball away faster seven additional times to avoid getting knocked to the ground. The hits give a more clear picture as to how much pressure the QB is facing behind his line. And All a person has to do is watch a Steelers game to see that he never has consistently comfortable seconds in the pocket. You don't need a sniveling fantasy geek looking up stats on NFL.com.

No team in this league, with the current rules is going to hold playoff teams to regular season defensive pass averages. Whoever thinks the Steelers pass defense will hold Brady or Manning to 169.7 yards is an idiot. The same kind of idiot that would say Luck is more talented and will be better than Roethlisberger based on his college stats. The secondary can't make big stops in tight situations. And they definitely can't force turnovers. One player on the Giants has as many INTs as the entire Steelers team. Take your idiotic averages into the playoffs against a playoff team and go stare at your Andrew Luck fathead.

So basically, you're a big baby who doesn't like stats and is incapable of evaluating talent. Are you Joe Buck's kid?

Let me know when you have some stats to back up your argument

(ps the Steelers held Brady to 198 yards in 2011 game... was that still Cowher's team?)

NeilPatrickBanana
12-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Thank you Lebeau for not letting Tomlin anywhere near the secondary. If Tomlin was that good coaching the secondary the Vikings wouldn't have had a 31st ranked pass defense before he left.

Funny since Tomlin has clearly forced changes in the schemes we play in the secondary. But you would have to know football to see it.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-11-2012, 05:24 PM

But Dick Lebeau is amazing!

LASVEGASGUY
12-11-2012, 05:32 PM
lol....Tebow with 312 yards. I still can't believe that actually happened to this day. Manning was rusty that first game he played us and threw for 250 yard 2 TDs and 0 INTs. Just imagine in the playoffs at full steam. And Brady? I rather lose out and get another high draft pick than have him embarrass this team in Foxboro.

With what I saw last night there isn't a team right now that is going to hang with the Patriots. Manning and the Broncos will get crushed in Foxboro and the Texans are paper champs with a glass jaw. We can't beat the scraps in the AFC and the Ravens, well they just suck.

steelers75
12-11-2012, 06:20 PM
With what I saw last night there isn't a team right now that is going to hang with the Patriots.

Bet you said the same thing last year too. And the year before.

They play the games for a reason.

Real Deal Steel
12-11-2012, 07:04 PM
1. Game Day skills aren't the best.... but better then half the league (do you guys watch some of these coaches?)
2. Too subjective... mostly just a hyperbole comment
3. Completely disagree... we've seen move press and M2M... and it comes from Tomlin post 2009 debacle
4. Arizona Super Bowl.... Comeback win over Baltimore playoffs.... plenty of comeback wins in career
5. Really? Where do you get the conditioning problem? Knee and ankle injuries aren't conditioning related.
6. Hampton out of shape. Benching McFadden in past. Benching Oline guys in past (Kemo).
7. More made up hyperbole.

The truth is... it's REALLY difficult to judge a head coach on anything more then his record. I mean, you can make **** up in your head like some of the above subjective statements that aren't supported by much of anything but your own "feeling" and "guess work". And you CAN be highly critical of game day decisions (clock management, situational play/decisions, challenges, etc.... the real hard truth, is that outside of the gameday decisions you are witness to, the 95% of what coaches do is completely out of your purview. You simply do NOT know what you are talking about... so why are you pretending to?

focusing on more then overall record is something pretenders do...

1. Mike Wallace has played half *** football all season. Who's suppose to tell him to shape up? Tomlin
2. The O-line has been constantly been hurt for three years straight with guys out of shape. Who's suppose to be ultimately accountable for that? Tomlin.

3. When Lebeau goes into his "cornerback give the WR's 10 yard cushion" defense against good to elite QB's we lose. Period. We've all seen it a number of times. So...since we've seen it enough times, so has Tomlin. Yet, he constantly allows Lebeau to go call that defense. So who's responsibility is that? Tomlin.

I can go on and on with examples but the point is, it is not subjective. We lost to the stinking Raiders and Titans playing that defense and then they turned around and did the same thing again against the Chargers. Yeah...your right. You CAN judge a coach by the record. And we lost to the stink house Raiders and Titans.

Tomlin isn't in any danger of being fired. We all know that. But he is not a good coach. He is just an "okay" coach. Nice guy; talks a good game. But actual coaching?? Just okay.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-11-2012, 07:07 PM
What hurt the OL this year was injuries Real Deal..........DeCastro going down in pre-season was a huge blow and then Mike Adams going down when it seemed Adams was starting to get it..........We needed these two young OL to play quickly to improve the OL...

NeilPatrickBanana
12-11-2012, 08:07 PM
1. Mike Wallace has played half *** football all season. Who's suppose to tell him to shape up? Tomlin
2. The O-line has been constantly been hurt for three years straight with guys out of shape. Who's suppose to be ultimately accountable for that? Tomlin.

3. When Lebeau goes into his "cornerback give the WR's 10 yard cushion" defense against good to elite QB's we lose. Period. We've all seen it a number of times. So...since we've seen it enough times, so has Tomlin. Yet, he constantly allows Lebeau to go call that defense. So who's responsibility is that? Tomlin.

I can go on and on with examples but the point is, it is not subjective. We lost to the stinking Raiders and Titans playing that defense and then they turned around and did the same thing again against the Chargers. Yeah...your right. You CAN judge a coach by the record. And we lost to the stink house Raiders and Titans.

Tomlin isn't in any danger of being fired. We all know that. But he is not a good coach. He is just an "okay" coach. Nice guy; talks a good game. But actual coaching?? Just okay.

1. That's simply a subjective statement. "Half assed football" is more or less a made a description to describe your displeasure. The truth is Wallace is a ****** route runner who has mediocre hands and doesn't fit in the Haley offense. Mike Wallace sucking, isn't Mike Tomlin's fault. That's just dumb.

2. Your "guys out of shape" is complete nonsense. You really don't know much about injuries if you think a sprained knee is a result of poor conditioning

3. I think Lebeau is the first change that needs to be made. And Tomlin has enforced a lot more Press and M2M over the last 2 seasons, to both great successes (New England) and epic failure (Denver).

I blame Lebeau for the Oakland loss. I blame Tomlin for the Tennessee loss. I blame the RBs/turnovers for the Cleveland loss.

My biggest beef with Tomlin is that in 6 years he hasn't really developed any talent on his staff to groom a staff under his philosophy. This is only partly his fault as the Rooney's basically forced him to accept Lebeau/Arians.

Most successful HC develop a staff with a football philosophy everyone agrees on. It becomes a cohesive unit. I don't like the mishmash of the coaching staff overall.

jpele
12-11-2012, 08:16 PM
I like #2 " Hey, if i were in better condition that fat guy wouldn't have fallen on my leg". Sorry but it made me lol.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

terrible.towel43
12-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Some of the hate on Tomlin here is just pathetic. These same people were the one's loving him for showing emotion and energy in week 2 on the sidelines

JenZwain
12-11-2012, 09:33 PM
The next 2 games we are playing Dallas and Cincy. Both have QB's that can end the Steelers' season. AJ Green will have a huge game against us if Taylor does not play. Either the defense has to go joey porter crazy and get to Dalton and create turnovers, or he picks LeBeau's prevent defense apart. The WR's are bigger then our DB's, and most of them are faster as well. If LeBeau does not press these guys at the line of scrimmage and play aggressive, the DB's will get torched because frankly, they just don't tackle well enough.

We are going to have to get our **** together on offense and score 30+ to beat either team...my opinion.

Clevelandsux
12-11-2012, 09:37 PM
I think this team has quit on Tomlin. Seriously. How can you deny that after what weve seen over the last few weeks. There is a stench going on in this locker room, and it could ruin the Steelers season.

steelchamp204
12-12-2012, 01:18 AM
I think this team has quit on Tomlin. Seriously. How can you deny that after what weve seen over the last few weeks. There is a stench going on in this locker room, and it could ruin the Steelers season.

The team has quit on Tomlin? They played there asses off in Pitt against baltimore and then turned around and beat baltimore in there place with a 3rd string qb. If they tanked it they would have gotten blown out in bmore a couple of weeks ago. A team who has given up on there coach is in Philly.

Real Deal Steel
12-12-2012, 10:56 AM
The team hasn't quit on Tomlin. That's going waaaaay too far.

BLACKandGOLD
12-12-2012, 11:20 AM
I just don't get why people attack Tomlin so much. The dude is a great coach. I understand he has his moments on gameday but all coaches do. We've already been to 2 Super Bowls with him and won 1 of those. The players are the ones at fault for not executing. Quit using the coaching as a scapegoat all the time.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk app

steelchamp204
12-13-2012, 01:43 AM
Are we Yankee fans of the NFL? I think so.

Stone
12-13-2012, 10:15 AM
The fans who honestly think he should be fired would make good Browns fans. No common sense, just emotion.

The Steelers are the most successful sports franchise in the world for good reason. I'll let them continue to make the big decisions and I'll just decide what jersey to wear, and what food to cook, while I watch the greatest sports team in the world!

Real Deal Steel
12-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Dude, wake up. Steelers are my team to the heart. But you are not looking at the facts.

1. We lost to the Raiders. THE RAIDERS!!! ( A team who is going for the # 1 pick in the draft;worst record in the league)
2. We lost to the Titans. THE TITANS!!!

This team plays down to bad teams and then plays up to good teams. That's not championship football.

steelchamp204
12-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Dude, wake up. Steelers are my team to the heart. But you are not looking at the facts.

1. We lost to the Raiders. THE RAIDERS!!! ( A team who is going for the # 1 pick in the draft;worst record in the league)

This team plays down to bad teams and then plays up to good teams. That's not championship football.

Well if we make the playoffs we wouldnt have to worry about playing bad teams. That would be a good thing then. lol

Stone
12-13-2012, 01:38 PM

Trust me....I'm awake:lol: I hate the way we play down to the competition too but all in all it's good.

This idiotic hate on Tomlin is like junking your Mercedes because you think you heard it sputter last week.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-13-2012, 01:41 PM

the Patriots lost to the Cardinals

steelchamp204
12-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Is Tomlin the whipping boy now since Arians is gone? I dont see a lot of Haley hate threads.

Stone
12-13-2012, 01:47 PM
the Patriots lost to the Cardinals

News just in!

Any head coach who loses to a team in the bottom of the standings should be fired before he can get back to the locker room!

This way, by three weeks later, you can get your original coach back!:dontgetit:

Real Deal Steel
12-13-2012, 02:46 PM
But the Patriots came back from those loses and ascended. That is not the case with us. Nice try. The only bottom feeder they lost to WAS the Cardinals. But we lost to the Raiders, then the Titans and we got pummeled by the Browns.

Don't recall the Patriots getting pummeled by anyone this season. :rolleyes:

Face it son, you've been checkmated...again. As usual. :rolleyes:

I'm done. My point has been proven. Class dismissed.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-13-2012, 05:34 PM
But the Patriots came back from those loses and ascended. That is not the case with us. Nice try. The only bottom feeder they lost to WAS the Cardinals. But we lost to the Raiders, then the Titans and we got pummeled by the Browns.

they lost to Oak AND Ten... then "ascended' by beating a 3 playoff contenders in a row, including the Super Bowl Champs... and then their QB got injured and missed 3 games.

it's cute that you moved a few pawns around and yelled checkmate like a child who doesn't know any better

Real Deal Steel
12-13-2012, 08:25 PM
ascended and what????????????? Lost to the Browns??? Your reaching. And the Patriots have lost key O-lineman all season long too.

Nobody "moved a few pawns around". Hahaha. I stated things in the exact order they happened. Unlike you, who "accidentally" left the loss to the Ravens out of it. :rolleyes:

You are the only child on this board anyway. Making up things to support your bogus statements.

We are a team hanging on for dear life while the Patriots are securing the best record in the conference. Gzzzzz.

NYCsteelersfan
12-13-2012, 11:26 PM
You are the only child on this board anyway. Making up things to support your bogus statements.

That's all he does. Every now and then he'll grace a thread with some information he heard on ESPN, like how "Andrew Luck is more talented than Ben Roethlisberger." The absolute most idiotic thing I've ever heard. I take nothing he says seriously. Remind me a lot of the guy on this board a few years ago who would refer to every one as "sir" and would claim that Romo and Ryan were better quarterbacks than Roethlisberger. Of course that moron actually had a slightly better argument considering Romo and Ryan at least had completed more than one NFL season.

NYCsteelersfan
12-13-2012, 11:34 PM
Are we Yankee fans of the NFL? I think so.

Yankee fans have a legitimate gripe. The team outspends every other team by at least $50 million and the team charges exorbitant amounts for tickets and merchandise. What's the justification for that unless they win on a regular basis, or at least make it to the World Series.

What gripe could Steelers fans possibly have? The team currently has Roethlisberger, a top 5 elite quarterback, on the roster. Realistic fans know that there will be a lot of painful seasons in the future once he's gone because realistic fans remember the garbage quarterbacks under center for the 2+ decades before Roethlisberger.

LevonKirkland99
12-14-2012, 12:54 AM
Is Tomlin an x and Os coach like people are claiming here? Our losses show the opposite... I just want to get people opinion here.

steelchamp204
12-14-2012, 01:28 AM
Is Tomlin an x and Os coach like people are claiming here? Our losses show the opposite... I just want to get people opinion here.

He must be a pretty good coach against good teams atleast. He beat the Jets when the jets were decent, The skins,giants, bengals,Ravens without Ben and almost pulled out a win againt the ravens in Pittsburgh without Ben also. I am goin to ask, is it Tomlins full responsibility to get these guys fired up every week? Doesnt DL and Haley have some sort of input on the X's and O's part of the game. If this team still had BA running the offense, then this whole season would have been about BA and not Tomlin.

coldrolled
12-14-2012, 09:32 AM
He must be a pretty good coach against good teams atleast. He beat the Jets when the jets were decent, The skins,giants, bengals,Ravens without Ben and almost pulled out a win againt the ravens in Pittsburgh without Ben also. I am goin to ask, is it Tomlins full responsibility to get these guys fired up every week? Doesnt DL and Haley have some sort of input on the X's and O's part of the game. If this team still had BA running the offense, then this whole season would have been about BA and not Tomlin.

Taking Dwyer out of the browns game? Was real stupid... Batch and no RB's Lucky Adrian Peterson isnt on our team, he would be standing with Mendy and Dwyers during the Browns game too..

NeilPatrickBanana
12-14-2012, 11:42 AM
That's all he does. Every now and then he'll grace a thread with some information he heard on ESPN, like how "Andrew Luck is more talented than Ben Roethlisberger." The absolute most idiotic thing I've ever heard. I take nothing he says seriously. Remind me a lot of the guy on this board a few years ago who would refer to every one as "sir" and would claim that Romo and Ryan were better quarterbacks than Roethlisberger. Of course that moron actually had a slightly better argument considering Romo and Ryan at least had completed more than one NFL season.

I'm pretty sure you don't know the definition of talent

quick! post the 18 INTs stat... lol

NeilPatrickBanana
12-14-2012, 11:43 AM
ascended and what????????????? Lost to the Browns??? Your reaching. And the Patriots have lost key O-lineman all season long too.

Nobody "moved a few pawns around". Hahaha. I stated things in the exact order they happened. Unlike you, who "accidentally" left the loss to the Ravens out of it. :rolleyes:

We are a team hanging on for dear life while the Patriots are securing the best record in the conference. Gzzzzz.

What bogus statement?

LASVEGASGUY
12-14-2012, 12:54 PM

Patriots have 3 losses this year. I think two of the losses was by 1 point and the other was 2.

NYCsteelersfan
12-14-2012, 05:47 PM
I'm pretty sure you don't know the definition of talent

quick! post the 18 INTs stat... lol

Quick, post an ESPN invented stat to back up your claim and show how easily I pegged you for the ESPN regurgitating sheep that you are!

LevonKirkland99
12-14-2012, 10:50 PM
Why hats on Mike Tomlin

Because he sucks as a coach...only good with his convoluted discussions

NeilPatrickBanana
12-15-2012, 01:14 AM
Quick, post an ESPN invented stat to back up your claim and show how easily I pegged you for the ESPN regurgitating sheep that you are!

Dean Oliver, Statistician, PhD created QBR, not "ESPN". It's not surprising that you don't like complicated numbers though.

Hey quick regurgitate a witty remark that you hope defers the obvious reminder of how daft you are

jnes1216
12-15-2012, 06:45 AM
Mike Tomlin is different than Bill Cowher. Master of the obvious right?? Tomlin's perceived weakness is motivation, which was Cowher's strength. Being a civilian on a military base right now, I understand the motivation of someone looking you directly in the eye and spitting in your face, telling you to accomplish some task. Most people jump on it. We as fans of the sport love it, the coach does our venting for us. Does this motivate the players in todays sport? I don't know. Maybe they like the Tomlin cerebral tact, i.e. play well or sit (as of recently). Tomlin is in the bottom half of the league in some regards as to his coaching performance (clock mnmgt, preparedness with game plan), but he is consistently regarded as a coach most players would like to play for. That says something. I think overall, head coach and coordinators, could use a lesson in flexibility. There seems to be a resistance to change if something is not working. Most obvious is Dick LeBeau. Press worked great vs. the Pats but was it forced fed? Why not use that more? Ryan Clark, himself, stated that the defense has been the same since he got there. And what do we hear from Peyton and Carson earlier this year? "We knew what was coming". Sad and pedestrian. Should I mention turnovers and qb pressure? Yes I know we kill it in YPG but if the yards come in 3rd down and red zone situations, how good are we?

Vincent
12-16-2012, 01:36 PM

I'm not 100% sure what that would encompass, but I'm gonna assume preparation for game day would be included, and therefore I would say this is the best argument anybody could have for getting rid of him. Like others have mentioned, ever since he has taken over this team has consistently underestimated below-average teams, and I have come to think of the Steelers as a team who tends to do the least amount necessary to get a win. Just look at all of the close games we've had over the past several years. We barely ever have a blowout - and we should have had PLENTY of blowouts in that time period. However, I think it has only become a topic of interest over this season because so many of those easy games which turned out to be slim victories have now become embarrassing defeats. That's when it's time to start ringing the bell on it and calling him out on it.

True - but let's be realistic here. Nobody was gonna come into Blitzburgh and start to "control" LeBeau. That defense is and always will be LeBeau's baby until the day he retires.

these two go together :

5. This is the difference between Tomlin and Billicheck and the greats. I think this will come along more when Mike has been here longer. He is still young as a coach and I think he will improve on this area of work in the next few years.

clock management has been nothing but horrible throughout his tenure - and that also comes from lack of preparation and game day management - and I don't like the idea of blaming it on his youth or inexperience. That's something that *any* head coach at the professional level should have already mastered. There's college coaches who run a tighter ship than the Steelers' 2min offense.

You mention Billicheck. I am a huge "fan" of Billicheck. If I could choose one (active) coach I would want him. The reason is because his teams are *always* prepared. You will never see a Billicheck team which looks lax in any kind of way. Also, Billicheck just plain knows how to win games. I know, I know - he's lost 2 Super Bowls. But everyone knows that if it wasn't for 2 miraculous last drive completions by Eli Manning he would have 2 more rings right now. The guy knows what it takes to win games, and he will do anything to get it (even have somebody stand on the sideline with a camera haha). He knows how to best use his resources and how to best expose his opponent's weaknesses. I think that is the biggest difference between him and Tomlin. Tomlin seems to not have that sense on how to play on opponents' weaknesses.

1. I like where the offensive line is now compared to what it was a few years back. There is some imporvement in my opininon..

yha, it's really hard to criticize him on the handling on the o-line when the first two picks of the last draft were both o-linemen. You can't criticize him just because DeCastro was gone for the season before it even began.

This o-line problem has been a complete nightmare over the past couple of years, but in Tomlin's defense it really has been something in which he just plain cannot catch a break. Every single time he seems to have put a patch on things there is a new injury.

couple of specifics which I have which also fall under the umbrella of "game day management" :

In the playoff game against Denver last year we were on somewhere around Denver's 45 yard line with about 4 or 5 seconds left in regulation. He had Ben throw a hail mary into the end zone. I felt he should have just given Suisham a shot at an almost impossible FG instead. Yes it would have been a ridiculous 60+ yarder, but I think there is a better chance at hitting a 60+ yard FG in Denver than completing a hail mary pass.

This season the Tenn game was very mismanaged. They had the ball 1st and 10 on the Tenn 40 with about 20 seconds in regulation (tie game) ; and they were only able to get two more yards in that crucial part of the field. Suisham ended up attempting that 55yrd FG and only missed by about 1yrd. If they had just been able to get about 4 or 5 yards within 3 plays we would have won. The play calling was horrible.

There's plenty of other examples in which I have felt Tomlin made very poor decisions to challenge plays which were clearly not gonna be overturned, causing us to lose TO's.

I thinbk Tomlin is fine, he is only 40 years old. If nothing improves the next 3 seasons, then yes. Get rid of him.

Ultimately, I agree with this. I say give him 3 more years. By the end of the next 3 years he will have had plenty of time to fix any type of problems which we currently have, and he will have been able to implement several key draft choices into the starting roster. But if we don't get to at least an AFC Championship within the next 3 years then I say it's time to find somebody new because this team's roster has enough talent to win another Super Bowl.

v

NYCsteelersfan
12-16-2012, 09:57 PM
Vincent, when you say three years, does that include this season? I mean we're not making the playoffs this season, so if we don't make it next season as well, do you bring Tomlin back for the 2014 season?

steelchamp204
12-16-2012, 09:58 PM
Vincent, when you say three years, does that include this season? I mean we're not making the playoffs this season, so if we don't make it next season as well, do you bring Tomlin back for the 2014 season?

See what he does through 2015. We have to see what is going to happen when DL retires also.

LatrobePA
12-16-2012, 10:01 PM
Why did Tomlin allow the db's play 10+ yards off all game?

NYCsteelersfan
12-16-2012, 10:02 PM
See what he does through 2015. We have to see what is going to happen when DL retires also.

So if we miss the playoffs in 2012 and 2013, you would still bring him back unconditionally for 2014 and 2015?

steelchamp204
12-16-2012, 10:15 PM
So if we miss the playoffs in 2012 and 2013, you would still bring him back unconditionally for 2014 and 2015?

I think if DL retires we have to see what happens with the defense (If we switch to a 4-3) If we do, I would give Tomlin to 2015. I want to see what Spence can bring to the table along with DD/Adams/Beachum and with Keenan Lewis playing well I think this team has a good future. I jsut think right now the offense needs to be more aggressive and McLendon needs more playing time as well as Heyward, which I will blame Tomlin for not playing them. Not every single season is going to be playoffs even though that what us, the fan expect every season. Cowher has had rough patches along with Knoll. If this team fiishes 8-8 I want to see what Tomlin will bring to the table next season since that would be his worse record as HC so far in his career.

LatrobePA
12-16-2012, 10:37 PM
New England goes out and gets DB help and we trust practice squad players! The difference is obvious!