PDA

View Full Version : A theory on why the inordinat number of drops last week.

Stone
12-11-2012, 11:50 AM
"A" theory.......not "the" theory.

Did the receivers get used to Charlies passes which floated down from the atmosphere, and then have trouble with Ben's delivery? That's my story and I'm sticking to it:lol: You can always count on Wallace for his 2-3 drops per game but I think there were an unusual number of drops in general last week.

I remember the first couple long passes (20 yards plus for Charlie) Charlie threw and the reaction of several of us who were watching. We expected to see the ball go downfield and it went up....up....up....and then dropped in the near vicinity of the numerous players who had gathered under it.

I don't think you could witness two more different ball flight styles between Ben's beautiful ball flight, Lefty's hypersonic bullets, and Charlies floating feather. It would be like looking in the rafters for a pop fly and a line drive hit you in the gut:lol:

Raleigh Steel
12-11-2012, 12:56 PM
Interesting, but I'm inclined to believe that the entire team came out unfocused and unprepared to play SD. I think they thought they would roll them just by showing up. The line didn't block, the receivers didnt catch, the defense didn't get pressure and cover, and the coaching all the way around royally sucked!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Without actually checking the stats, I would say that I have noticed more drops from the receivers since Ben went down. His passes do come out with more velocity and certainly more accuracy overall than Lefty's or Charlies. With Batch he can get it there but it won't have the zip on it, and with Lefty he can fire it a mile down field but it's off target many times.

Either way these guys gotta be able to catch the ball when it comes there way, if Heath can do it every week, so can they.

Goodfrom55
12-11-2012, 03:23 PM
I would say no because they caught Ben's passes all week in practice.

NYCsteelersfan
12-11-2012, 04:05 PM
I think the most plausible theory is that none of the receivers on this team are what you would call a true #1 receiver. That's why none of them are reliable.

Omicron
12-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Dwight "hands of stone" Stone came out of retirement for wr coaching the game for the receivers.

Big T
12-11-2012, 11:49 PM
Yes, you can count on Mike Wallace for 2-3 drops per game. That's funny. I hadn't realized we played only 2-3 games this season. Seeing as how Wallace has 6 official drops this year. He's tied for 16th in the league in dropped passes this season (with 15 others). This is just further proof that every drop Wallace has is completely magnified since he's the antichrist around here. Yes he's had his issues, but let's not pretend that he's threatening the single season drop record. And just for the record (and I'm not saying he's better than anyone on this list) Victor Cruz (10), Jimmy Graham (9), Calvin Johnson (8), Brandon Marshall (8), DeMaryius Thomas (8), Dez Bryant (7), Julio Jones (7), Reggie Wayne (7), Wes Welker (7), all have more drops than Wallace, and AJ Green is tied with him. He's also tied for 7th in the NFL in TDs.

No, Wallace hasn't had the greatest season, but he hasn't played anywhere near as poorly as people are making it out to be.

http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/fb/leaders.asp?year=&type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

cbrunn
12-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Yes, you can count on Mike Wallace for 2-3 drops per game. That's funny. I hadn't realized we played only 2-3 games this season. Seeing as how Wallace has 6 official drops this year. He's tied for 16th in the league in dropped passes this season (with 15 others). This is just further proof that every drop Wallace has is completely magnified since he's the antichrist around here. Yes he's had his issues, but let's not pretend that he's threatening the single season drop record. And just for the record (and I'm not saying he's better than anyone on this list) Victor Cruz (10), Jimmy Graham (9), Calvin Johnson (8), Brandon Marshall (8), DeMaryius Thomas (8), Dez Bryant (7), Julio Jones (7), Reggie Wayne (7), Wes Welker (7), all have more drops than Wallace, and AJ Green is tied with him. He's also tied for 7th in the NFL in TDs.

No, Wallace hasn't had the greatest season, but he hasn't played anywhere near as poorly as people are making it out to be.

http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/fb/leaders.asp?year=&type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

:clap:

Was funny everybody I was watching the game with hate Wallace ... and say he got to go ... so when he dropped that deep one, they was so angry and saying he sucks he got to go...

Brown drops the deep one ... they say he didn't drop it, it didn't actually hit has hands ...and that it was PI on the play ...lol I just laughed

Black@Gold Forever32
12-12-2012, 12:02 AM

Beautiful post Big T......The only thing that bugs me with Wallace is his lack of effort at times but other then that I really have no beef with him.....Of course he isn't in the Fitz, Megatron, Brandon Marshall, Andre Johnson, class but Mike Wallace could make an argument being in the top 10 of NFL WR's.....More like 15-20 in my opinion......But after the true elite WR's there isn't much separating the rest of the pack.....

What is AB's drop total for the year?...

Big T
12-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Beautiful post Big T......The only thing that bugs me with Wallace is his lack of effort at times but other then that I really have no beef with him.....Of course he isn't in the Fitz, Megatron, Brandon Marshall, Andre Johnson, class but Mike Wallace could make an argument being in the top 10 of NFL WR's.....More like 15-20 in my opinion......But after the true elite WR's there isn't much separating the rest of the pack.....

What is AB's drop total for the year?...

I agree about his effort at times. And that's all a result of the contract situation and him not being utilized to his full potential in this system. I'm not making excuses for his lack of effort here and there, he deserves some flak for it. But he never had an issue with effort before this year, and it's clear why.

I can't find the drop stats for AB. I know he's dropped less than Wallace has, since he isn't included in that list, but everything I've come across only has like the top 30.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-12-2012, 12:18 AM
I agree about his effort at times. And that's all a result of the contract situation and him not being utilized to his full potential in this system. I'm not making excuses for his lack of effort here and there, he deserves some flak for it. But he never had an issue with effort before this year, and it's clear why.

I can't find the drop stats for AB. I know he's dropped less than Wallace has, since he isn't included in that list, but everything I've come across only has like the top 30.

AB dropped two Sunday vs the Chargers....He also had a TD in his hands against the Eagles in the endzone......That is three I can quickly point out...I know he had a few more then that......

I agree with you about the Wallace and his contract....Ktrain suggested trading Wallace pre-draft but I was holding out they would reach a deal....But really trading him would have been the right move and the Steelers dropped the ball on how they handled Mike Wallace.......Even if he isn't back with the team I won't have any hard feelings against him.....I know he will still be a damn good WR in the NFL...I just hope he signs with an NFC team if he isn't a Steeler.....

steelchamp204
12-12-2012, 12:20 AM
Is this thread even brought up if Brown didnt have a ****** game?

Big T
12-12-2012, 12:20 AM
AB dropped two Sunday vs the Chargers....He also had a TD in his hands against the Eagles in the endzone......That is three I can quickly point out...I know he had a few more then that......

I agree with you about the Wallace and his contract....Ktrain suggested trading Wallace pre-draft but I was holding out they would reach a deal....But really trading him would have been the right move and the Steelers dropped the ball on how they handled Mike Wallace.......Even if he isn't back with the team I won't have any hard feelings against him.....I know he will still be a damn good WR in the NFL...I just hope he signs with an NFC team if he isn't a Steeler.....

It may be wishful thinking on my part, but I'm still holding out hope that they'll resign him. Idk. But I agree, I'll definitely root for him wherever he ends up if it isn't here, but hopefully it's an NFC team.

Big T
12-12-2012, 12:21 AM
Is this thread even brought up if Brown didnt have a ****** game?

Excellent point. My money is on "no"...

Black@Gold Forever32
12-12-2012, 12:26 AM
It may be wishful thinking on my part, but I'm still holding out hope that they'll resign him. Idk. But I agree, I'll definitely root for him wherever he ends up if it isn't here, but hopefully it's an NFC team.

I'm holding out hope to since I don't want to see this team spend yet again another high pick on a WR......They can franchise him but honestly I see Wallace pulling a V-Jack if that happens....I wouldn't really blame either....He wants a long term deal and only has a short window to make as much money as he can......If this team can actually pull it together and make the post-season then Wallace, will have his shot to really make a statement........

Stone
12-12-2012, 07:42 AM

6 "official" drops? I'm curious where that stat could come form? He's had more than six in the last three games?

coldrolled
12-12-2012, 08:23 AM

What..... Welker has probaly 2000 attempts and 7 drops

Big T
12-12-2012, 09:19 AM
6 "official" drops? I'm curious where that stat could come form? He's had more than six in the last three games?

This is exactly my point about everything blown out of proportion with Wallace. He had 1 drop against SD, 1 against Baltimore, 0 against Cleveland. You must be confused by the 20 times Batch missed a wide open Wallace.

TarlsQtr
12-12-2012, 09:42 AM
To some here, drop=any ball that comes within 10 yards of Mike Wallace

Stone
12-12-2012, 10:40 PM
This is exactly my point about everything blown out of proportion with Wallace. He had 1 drop against SD, 1 against Baltimore, 0 against Cleveland. You must be confused by the 20 times Batch missed a wide open Wallace.

Not going to argue but I watch the games with the same guys and every week for the last couple weeks we have that "OH ****" moment when Wallace drops one.....or two. They must not be counting them......I'd love to watch those games again.......six drops? I'm not buyin that for any price.