PDA

View Full Version : if you were the guy making the desicions

acero
12-11-2012, 12:14 AM
forget the ....rooneys wont do it stuff, this is if you were in charge !!!

1.- would you fire tomlin?

2.- with who would you replace him?

Crash
12-11-2012, 12:50 AM
I would not fire Tomlin, he deserves the chance to hire his own OC and DC and rebuild this team.

If Art decides to be stupid and fire him? I would hire Kyle Shanahan.

K Train
12-11-2012, 01:46 AM
you cant just fire him and expect everything to be ok....most guys are a down grade imo. You voice your displeasure and figure out how to move forward. You have to grow into being a coach, tomlin is allowed to have lapses. He may have walked into an excellent situation with a good staff and talented roster but he didnt **** that up he has had great success.

If they blow out the cowboys this wont be an issue once again. Its a week to week thing, we are spoiled fans....any fan from another team that comes here would tell you that

jpele
12-11-2012, 08:45 AM
If I was making the decisions nothing changes, when the team loses it's easy to point fingers and say fire the coach but you have to look at the big picture.

For as much as I curse him, Tomlin is a good coach ( Really who's out there to replace him?) what I think needs to be done is for Mike to understand that in order to win week in and week out he has to be a tough coach every week not just after the weeks we lose .

A lot of whats happening goes on the players also, as Coach Noll once said " if I have to motivate you to play, you won't be a Steeler for very long" Most of these guys are veteran players and should be ready to play every week.

Real Deal Steel
12-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Tomlin is an "okay" coach. He talks a good game but the results say different.

I would fire Tomlin and hire John Gruden. I like Coaches who pay attention to detail and not afraid to get in your face and demand more of you.

penguins&steelers
12-11-2012, 09:55 AM
I'm not a hater nor do I love the guy. He's not a bad coach. I would like to see more fire out of him on the sideline. He needs to start preparing better for the bad teams. That is getting ridiculous.

pghcityofchamps
12-11-2012, 10:04 AM
I'm not a hater nor do I love the guy. He's not a bad coach. I would like to see more fire out of him on the sideline. He needs to start preparing better for the bad teams. That is getting ridiculous.

Basically my thoughts, too. I'd like to see more solid decisions and game plans. The inconsistencies throughout a game and in a season shouldn't be being made from a HC six years in. I'd like to see him turn the corner and be an innovator, not just a HC. When he is out-coached, it is glaring. I still wouldn't let him go.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-11-2012, 10:06 AM

I would fire Tomlin and hire John Gruden. I like Coaches who pay attention to detail and not afraid to get in your face and demand more of you.

i would want nothing to do with a Head Coach that wanted player personnel control...

penguins&steelers
12-11-2012, 10:13 AM
i would want nothing to do with a Head Coach that wanted player personnel control...

Why? The coach is the one running the team, why not let him have control of what players he wants? I don't think Gruden wants to leave ESPN.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Why? The coach is the one running the team, why not let him have control of what players he wants? I don't think Gruden wants to leave ESPN.

Because Coaching and Evaluating Talent aren't the same thing. And being a good coach, does not mean you are a good evaluator of talent and building a roster. See: Jon Gruden, Andy Reid... see Shannahan post 1998 when he gained control of player personnel and imploded the Broncos. Holmgren was below 500 as a coach in seattle with player personnel control, and his decision maker status in cleveland isn't looking so good either.

There are very very very few Jimmy Johnson, Bill Bellichick types out there... Just because a coach has a good coaching resume, does not mean he should get player personnel control (No one in there right mind would give Cowher player control... and it's the primary reason he's still on TV)

Rhyno
12-11-2012, 10:35 AM

Actually, the results say: 62 - 31 regular season, 8 - 5 post-season, 2 superbowl appearances with one win. Tomlin is nowhere near the best coach in the NFL and continues to make stupid gameday mistakes, but he is much better than "okay."

acero
12-11-2012, 10:48 AM
i'd like to keep tomlin but ask him to stop talking crap hahaha

kevin colbert is the key to our recent success i think

TEEMONT
12-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Obviously you keep Tomlin. No-brainer.

Haley? I dunno, I like his offense, and Ben was having success. Remember, the Steelers were 6-3 when Ben got hurt. Thats not shabby with an entirely new offense.

I say, let the team play the next 3 weeks. It's a fairly light 3 weeks IMO. DeCastro should be back up starting soon, even with Colon out, it's an upgrade IMO. Troy was running around everywhere last game, he's rusty, but if they make the playoffs, thats where he shines. Wallace is still playingfor a contract...He'll show up.

Im not expecting a beatdown of the 'boys, but Im expecting a W.

Zachintosh66
12-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Depends who is available... I wouldnt want Norv or Rex. I dont think Chucky or Cowher would come back. Andy Reid, will prolly take a year off. Wis will prolly go back to being a O Cord somewhere

LASVEGASGUY
12-11-2012, 11:28 AM
I'd fire him in a minute and sue him for some of the money he stole from the Steelers pretending to be a coach. Not sure who I would replace him with but that is what interviews and candidate searches are for. I am sure there is that guy out there that is ready willing and able to bring back the swagger the Steelers have lost under Tomlin.

Stone
12-11-2012, 11:36 AM
forget the ....rooneys wont do it stuff, this is if you were in charge !!!

1.- would you fire tomlin?

2.- with who would you replace him?

The talk about firing Tomlin is silly, despite the fact that he drives me crazy sometimes. He is considered a top 5 head coach and that is not by luck, it's accepted by most of the football world.

If I were in charge:
1. I'd sit Wallace and start Plax just to send the message....Wallace can come in after the first qtr.
2. I'd challenge Tomlin to demand in game adjustments....rather than just at halftime.
3. I'd talk to Tomlin about talking to Haley to improve the running game.
a. Dwyer has looked good why aren't we using him?
b. Why does Redman come in for every 3rd and short when Dwyer has proven to run better in traffic?
c. Why don't we just tell the defense that if Redman is in on 3rd and short, he's getting the ball? (sarcasm)
d. Why aren't we using a full back?
4. I'd talk to Tomlin about how Troy is used.
a. When Troy is in, he makes some nice plays but he also misses a lot too.
b. When Troy is in the D seems to be out of sync because they are keying on Troy rather than the opponent.
5. I'd give free beer to any member of this forum at all remaining home games:lol:

LASVEGASGUY
12-11-2012, 11:44 AM
The talk about firing Tomlin is silly, despite the fact that he drives me crazy sometimes. He is considered a top 5 head coach and that is not by luck, it's accepted by most of the football world.

If I were in charge:
1. I'd sit Wallace and start Plax just to send the message....Wallace can come in after the first qtr.
2. I'd challenge Tomlin to demand in game adjustments....rather than just at halftime.
b. Why does Redman come in for every 3rd and short when Dwyer has proven to run better in traffic?
c. Why don't we just tell the defense that if Redman is in on 3rd and short, he's getting the ball? (sarcasm)
b. When Troy is in the D seems to be out of sync because they are keying on Troy rather than the opponent.
5. I'd give free beer to any member of this forum at all remaining home games:lol:

Who are these people that think Tomlin is a top 5 coach? Are they basing off what he did the first 3 years with Cowher's team or recently. Top 5 coaches in this league don't lose to the Browns, Raiders, Titans, Chargers and need overtime to beat the Chiefs. Stop drinking the Tomlin kool-aid the media is serving you.

Real Deal Steel
12-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Actually, the results say: 62 - 31 regular season, 8 - 5 post-season, 2 superbowl appearances with one win. Tomlin is nowhere near the best coach in the NFL and continues to make stupid gameday mistakes, but he is much better than "okay."

The more Tomlin gets away from the players Cowher brought to this team, the more he loses. I'm not impressed yet. And I do not see these current players responding to what Tomlin is saying after the fact.

Berry Switzer has one super bowl win too. :rolleyes: And he did it with JJ's team.

Plus...I don't see the attention to detail by Tomlin that I see from the upper tier coaches. Hell, Tomlin doesn't even show the balls to go and check Lebeau when his defensive schemes are not working. Tomlin is an "okay" coach.

Real Deal Steel
12-11-2012, 11:51 AM

If I were in charge:

But Tomlin won't be fired. We all know that.

EXCELLENT POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These are the reason why Tomlin is only an "okay" coach.

Stone
12-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Who are these people that think Tomlin is a top 5 coach? Are they basing off what he did the first 3 years with Cowher's team or recently. Top 5 coaches in this league don't lose to the Browns, Raiders, Titans, Chargers and need overtime to beat the Chiefs. Stop drinking the Tomlin kool-aid the media is serving you.

I understand......but the fact remains that the Steelers would be considered "to have lost their mind" to fire him. I'd be willing to bet that if you polled the top 200 NFL analysts, Tomlin would come out close to, if not in, the top 5.

And there's a reason why you and I wouldn't be asked to vote:yellowthumb:

FlatsSteeler
12-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Release Tomlin.....Retire DLB....offer Tomlin the DC job, then give it to Keith Butler when Tomlin turns it down, keep Haley as OC.....Steal Greg Schiano from the Bucs, what he has done with a **** poor team in one season is really a testimony to his ability, he has even got a mediocre QB playing above his level......

Real Deal Steel
12-11-2012, 11:57 AM
The farther Tomlin gets away from Cowher players, the farther away this team is drifting. I'm not impressed with Tomlin.

TarlsQtr
12-11-2012, 12:20 PM
LOL Fire a coach with 2 Super Bowl appearances in half a dozen years and his DC who has the top ranked defense. Such a request is stupidity akin to the Brits voting out Winston Churchill after WWII and is why the Steeler ownership is so great. They do not hit the panic button like the droolers on talk radio and message boards (or most NFL teams).

NeilPatrickBanana
12-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Release Tomlin.....Retire DLB....offer Tomlin the DC job, then give it to Keith Butler when Tomlin turns it down, keep Haley as OC.....Steal Greg Schiano from the Bucs, what he has done with a **** poor team in one season is really a testimony to his ability, he has even got a mediocre QB playing above his level......

The Bucs have a ton of talent and Josh Freeman is more than Mediocre... surprised that a Tampa Steelers fan wouldn't appreciate Freeman, since he's the most similar QB to Roethlisberger (in terms of style of play and strengths) in the league today.

LASVEGASGUY
12-11-2012, 12:45 PM
I understand......but the fact remains that the Steelers would be considered "to have lost their mind" to fire him. I'd be willing to bet that if you polled the top 200 NFL analysts, Tomlin would come out close to, if not in, the top 5.

And there's a reason why you and I wouldn't be asked to vote:yellowthumb:

Why would they say they "have lost their mind" if they fired Tomlin? Have you seen the product on the field lately and especially the empty seats at Heinz Field? That should concern any owner.

Do you also find it weird that the guy we ran out of town has a better record than the Steelers, is in the playoffs and wasn't even hired to be a head coach. He is also doing this with a gutted team and a rookie QB.

So the problem clearly wasn't BA but possibly Tomlin or Ben or both. This team is a complete ****ing mess under Tomlin and if he was a Top 5 coach he would know what to do next and in all honestly listening to him speak he doesn't have a clue. I think he is hoping the players fix this issue for him or Lebeau bails him out.

LASVEGASGUY
12-11-2012, 12:48 PM
LOL Fire a coach with 2 Super Bowl appearances in half a dozen years and his DC who has the top ranked defense. Such a request is stupidity akin to the Brits voting out Winston Churchill after WWII and is why the Steeler ownership is so great. They do not hit the panic button like the droolers on talk radio and message boards (or most NFL teams).

Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez went to back to back AFC Championship games I guess they are safe forever then under your analogy? News flash, they both suck and what happened in the past should remain in the past.

This is what have you done for me lately league and right now Tomlin hasn't done **** in the last two years.

K Train
12-11-2012, 12:56 PM
The more Tomlin gets away from the players Cowher brought to this team, the more he loses. I'm not impressed yet. And I do not see these current players responding to what Tomlin is saying after the fact.

Berry Switzer has one super bowl win too. :rolleyes: And he did it with JJ's team.

Plus...I don't see the attention to detail by Tomlin that I see from the upper tier coaches. Hell, Tomlin doesn't even show the balls to go and check Lebeau when his defensive schemes are not working. Tomlin is an "okay" coach.

and you want gruden?????? lmao

talking about riding dungys coat tails to the superbowl and doing nothing but run the team into the ground after that with his horrible offensive scheme and stubbornly retarded use of quarterbacks.

but yeah lets get ben a coach who refuses to use the shotgun, thats like dan reeves taking the most athletic QB of all time in michael vick and putting him in a WCO

NYCsteelersfan
12-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Tomlin is regarded as the cool older brother, not the cool, but authoritative father. Tomlin is the kind of coach that says "we'll get them next time!" after a loss and takes everyone out for strippers and beer. As opposed to a coach that will say "I'm really disappointed in the team. A lot of fundamental mistakes were made that we practice day in and day out. I expect more from you guys." And then he walks away and everyone in the locker room feels like $hit for letting the coach down.

It wasn't just Cowher's players that Tomlin won with in 2008. I won't even discuss which players belongs to which coach. But it was Cowher's authority that had remained instilled in the players when Tomlin took over that played a key role in that 2008 Superbowl. After that season, the authority gradually declined and now it's pretty much nonexistent.

The situation is very similar to the Red Sox and Terry Francona. That team slowly collapsed as work ethic completely diminished. The players loved Francona just like the players love Tomlin, but it's for the wrong reasons. It's better to be feared than respected. And it's better to be respected than liked. Tomlin is simply liked and it makes him useless as a coach.

He needs to go.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Tomlin is regarded as the cool older brother, not the cool, but authoritative father. Tomlin is the kind of coach that says "we'll get them next time!" after a loss and takes everyone out for strippers and beer. As opposed to a coach that will say "I'm really disappointed in the team. A lot of fundamental mistakes were made that we practice day in and day out. I expect more from you guys." And then he walks away and everyone in the locker room feels like $hit for letting the coach down.

:lol: the level of delusion it takes to pretend to know such things is quite impressive. We have very little insight into the coaches comments outside of the generally uninformative Press Conferences. The fact that you've made this up in your head is entertaining though.

It wasn't just Cowher's players that Tomlin won with in 2008. I won't even discuss which players belongs to which coach. But it was Cowher's authority that had remained instilled in the players when Tomlin took over that played a key role in that 2008 Superbowl. After that season, the authority gradually declined and now it's pretty much nonexistent.

:scratch: How'd you figure that out. May...too bad that authority didn't stay instilled longer.... :lol:

The situation is very similar to the Red Sox and Terry Francona. That team slowly collapsed as work ethic completely diminished. The players loved Francona just like the players love Tomlin, but it's for the wrong reasons. It's better to be feared than respected. And it's better to be respected than liked. Tomlin is simply liked and it makes him useless as a coach.

He needs to go.

So you are saying Francon won with Grady Littles players?

penguins&steelers
12-11-2012, 01:08 PM

Don't forget, alot of Tomlin's success was just inheriting Cowher's team. I agree, getting rid of Lebeau is absurd.

NYCsteelersfan
12-11-2012, 01:09 PM
and you want gruden?????? lmao

talking about riding dungys coat tails to the superbowl and doing nothing but run the team into the ground after that with his horrible offensive scheme and stubbornly retarded use of quarterbacks.

but yeah lets get ben a coach who refuses to use the shotgun, thats like dan reeves taking the most athletic QB of all time in michael vick and putting him in a WCO

Except Dungy was an offensive idiot, which is why he couldn't win with basically the exact same style team that Billick ended up winning with. Billick even took the quarterback that Dungy couldn't win with. On top of that, Dungy went to the Colts where the best offense in football was already in place and all he had to do was improve the defense and he managed to make only one Superbowl appearance in 7 seasons. He also got embarrassed by Cowher and a second-year Roethlisberger in 2005. Take away the BS call that the refs used to try and manipulate the game and that game wasn't even close.

NYCsteelersfan
12-11-2012, 01:11 PM
:lol: the level of delusion it takes to pretend to know such things is quite impressive. We have very little insight into the coaches comments outside of the generally uninformative Press Conferences. The fact that you've made this up in your head is entertaining though.

:scratch: How'd you figure that out. May...too bad that authority didn't stay instilled longer.... :lol:

So you are saying Francon won with Grady Littles players?

The best way that I can summarize everything is that you're not smart. The end.

K Train
12-11-2012, 01:12 PM
he still built a good team in tampa.

who cares if he lost to cowher and roethlisberger? thats hardly the final seal on his legacy. Christ you guys take one head to head matchup to heart way to much, even michael jordon lost 300 some games lol.

gruden sucks, hes been picking up steam since he got fired which makes no sense to me

NYCsteelersfan
12-11-2012, 01:15 PM

who cares if he lost to cowher and roethlisberger? thats hardly the final seal on his legacy. Christ you guys take one head to head matchup to heart way to much, even michael jordon lost 300 some games lol.

gruden sucks, hes been picking up steam since he got fired which makes no sense to me

The one head to head matchup was one example. One Superbowl in 7 seasons with a team that had an offense that coaches dream of. All he had to do was improve the defense and manage on game day. Even if he didn't win two Superbowls is one thing, but only one Superbowl appearance in 7 seasons with Peyton Manning. Something was obviously wrong.

NYCsteelersfan
12-11-2012, 01:17 PM
He did a great job in Tampa, though. There's no question. But if people rag on Cowher for not being able to win when it mattered, then Dungy needs to be faulted 10 fold for the same thing because he had Dilfer and Manning.

steelchamp204
12-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Bring in a Offensive line coach that knows what he is doing. Ding Ding Russ Grimm. Give McLendon more playing time for more push up the middle from our line. Give Cam Heyward 13 snaps a game.

K Train
12-11-2012, 01:24 PM
The one head to head matchup was one example. One Superbowl in 7 seasons with a team that had an offense that coaches dream of. All he had to do was improve the defense and manage on game day. Even if he didn't win two Superbowls is one thing, but only one Superbowl appearance in 7 seasons with Peyton Manning. Something was obviously wrong.
manning was suchhhh a choke artist too lets be serious...even in the win vs the bears if the bears werent so horrible he had an awful first quarter and was letting it slip away, grossman just couldnt capitalize

tomlin, cowher, dungy > gruden

i think gruden is an ok analyst aside from loving EVERYONE but for such a self proclaimed "QB guru" he hasnt really done much with QBs over the years. his favorite QB of all time is tebow for christ sake

penguins&steelers
12-11-2012, 01:25 PM
I say we hold out for Peyton Manning

NeilPatrickBanana
12-11-2012, 01:26 PM

Gruden is massively overrated...

NeilPatrickBanana
12-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Bring in a Offensive line coach that knows what he is doing. Ding Ding Russ Grimm. Give McLendon more playing time for more push up the middle from our line. Give Cam Heyward 13 snaps a game.

yea, that offensive line in Arizona looks great :lol:

steelchamp204
12-11-2012, 01:27 PM

AZ is just a debacle :greengrin: all around.

NYCsteelersfan
12-11-2012, 01:29 PM
manning was suchhhh a choke artist too lets be serious...e

You're right, but there were games that had nothign to do with Manning choking, and the Steelers playoff game in 2005 was an example. The Steelers had a 14-0 lead before Manning could even blink. And Manning didn't play bad that game, he was just kept off the field because Dungy had no idea what to do with the Steelers offense.

K Train
12-11-2012, 01:29 PM

levi brown was their best lineman and he kinda sucks and hes been hurt, hes had some **** talent to work with ( alot of steeler leftovers) but hes done a good job with bobbie massie (at least early on in the season)

NeilPatrickBanana
12-11-2012, 02:04 PM
levi brown was their best lineman and he kinda sucks and hes been hurt, hes had some **** talent to work with ( alot of steeler leftovers) but hes done a good job with bobbie massie (at least early on in the season)

I think the Steelers line has shown improvement the last 2 years... and those are the 2 years that they had actual young talent to work with...

I mean lets not forget where we were in 09 and 10... combinations including...Scott-Kemo-Hartwig-Stapleton-Essex... these scrub bags were REGULARS. lol

What I don't like... is the idea of a quality control coach with no Oline Coaching experience coming in and being the guy to develop Adams, Decastro, Gilbert, Beachum.... Im ok with this guy filling in the final portion of this season... but we need a vet oline coach and a whole new scheme that fits with our newly mobile offensive line futures.

we got the athleticism to start stretching this oline, and putting a better running game together