PDA

View Full Version : It's never too early to talk Draft 2013

NeilPatrickBanana
12-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Who are the resident draft nerds around here?

What players do you have your eye on?

1. Dion Jordan DE/OLB Oregon - He's been my guy since early in the season, but I expect he's moved up boards from a late 1st rounder, into a top 20 pick for sure. This team desperately lacks a player who can create a pass rush through speed/skill rather then power/scheme. Jordan, dare I make the comparison, has the same explosiveness and the nasty arm length and hand athleticism as Aldon Smith. This is the year, and Jordan is the type of player, that I would give up picks to move up and get. But.. alas, but combine day, he'll probably be a top 10-15 pick.

2. Eric Reid FS LSU - clearly the best safety in the draft, and a guy who comes from a DB factory (LSU). I think he's a better all around player then Mark Barron. He's the typical, big game playmaker... as I'm sure no one has forgotten that INT at the 1 yard line to hold the 6-6 tie game at Alabama 2011. It's time to get some talent groomed behind Troy/Clark.

3. Damontre Moore DE/OLB Texas A&M - The 3rd best pass rusher in the draft (Jones, Jordan). Note the elite explosion and pass rush versatility that Jones and Jordan have, but probably the most well rounded of the bunch. Plays the run very well for an end.

4. Barkevious Mingo DE/OLB LSU - He probably won't be available when we draft, and I wouldn't trade up for him. But if he did end up being the "guy that falls", I'd jump. No where near the explosive/dynamic talent that Jones/Jordan is, but Mingo is an SEC rounded talent who has shown he's got all the NFL skills required to be a player. Safe pick if he fell.

5. Corderelle Patterson WR Tennessee - Another guy who is going to fly up draft boards after the combine. Sky high potential, high bust factor. The tape is tantalizing... I usually hate the "compare draft pick to superstar player"... but watch his stride, and tell me it doesn't look just like Randy Moss.

6. The other 1st round WRs : Keenan Allen, Deandre Hopkins, Terrance Williams - I would not pay Mike Wallace. But, I would not go into next season without adding something to the WR core. Im a huge Antonio Brown fan. But he is NOT a #1 WR. I am not a believer in Sanders being more than a weak #2... solid #3. Brown is an EXCELLENT #2... if the chance to land a #1 comes along we should take it.

Clevelandsux
12-10-2012, 09:43 PM
how about a franchise rb? I think Mendenhall is out after this season. I dont think dwyer or redman, or rainy are what we need to carry the load.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-10-2012, 09:50 PM
I don't think there are any elite talents this year. It's a really weak draft for RBs

I wouldn't waste a pick in round 1-2 on a RB at this time. If Marcus Lattimore's injury drops him to the 3rd round I'd jump all over it....

I think Dwyer is good enough, I think Rainey needs to be utilized more, I think we need to add someone in rounds 3-5

I like Jonathan Franklin out of UCLA as a mid rounder who would make a nice compliment to Dwyer

Big T
12-10-2012, 09:56 PM
My pipe dream is Manti Te'o. I would absolutely love to see him in the Steelers. Unfortunately it's just that, a pipe dream. If we dont go safety in round 1, I really Like Matt Elam in the second, if he's there. Maybe it's just my Gator bias, but the man can ball. He can play the run and he's good in coverage. He can make plays on the ball too. Terrance Williams is a guy I like at the WR position. Big body, possession received with enough speed. I also really like Jon Bostic in maybe the 4th round at MLB. Again, maybe it's my gator bias but I really feel like he can develop into a nice starter in this system.

On the running back note, I really like Eddie Lacey if he decides to declare.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-10-2012, 10:06 PM
My pipe dream is Manti Te'o. I would absolutely love to see him in the Steelers. Unfortunately it's just that, a pipe dream. If we dont go safety in round 1, I really Like Matt Elam in the second, if he's there. Maybe it's just my Gator bias, but the man can ball. He can play the run and he's good in coverage. He can make plays on the ball too. Terrance Williams is a guy I like at the WR position. Big body, possession received with enough speed. I also really like Jon Bostic in maybe the 4th round at MLB. Again, maybe it's my gator bias but I really feel like he can develop into a nice starter in this system.

I love Te'o. But he's a top 8 pick for sure.
I definitely agree on Elam. Elam is a true hybrid safety. And that is more and more valuable in todays NFL....
I'd sacrifice a goat for Jordan 1st round, Elam 2nd round.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-10-2012, 10:09 PM
I don't like Lacy... I not enough speed. no feet. he's a straight ahead bulldozer and i just don't see that being successful these days. I'd be interested mid round, but not at the 2nd round cost that he's likely to draw thanks to Womack and Jones beasting the interior in Alabama

K Train
12-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Posted this yesterday

heres what i would say from the past few weeks:

1 Travis Frederick OG Wisconsin (Tyler Eifert TE Notre Dame)
Frederick would be an incredible LG to team up with Pouncey and Decastro on the inside.

Eifert is a jump ball phenom, he would be the successor to Heath but would be a big impact in the passing game from day one

2 David Amerson CB North Carolina State (Margus Hunt DE SMU)
Amerson is a classic CB to FS transition candidate...Rolle, Jenkins, ect....his ball skills are out of this world and hes a big hitter, hes been burned this year after having ridiculous pick numbers last year, but his fall from top 10 to second would be a great gift.

Margus Hunt is a physical freak, to play him in a 34 he could be like a mixure of JJ Watt and Calais Campbell

3 Chase Thomas OLB Stanford (Dennard Robinson, WR Mich)

Chase Thomas is a high effort pass rusher, hes relentless and excels at blitzing.

Robinson has trick play ability but would likely be a return man and he just has a dynamic in the open field that rivals hester or harvin

4 Aaron Murray QB Georgia (Montee Ball RB, Wisc)
Highest percentage passer in college football, could possibly be a starter one day but is an ideal backup QB. Better than colt mccoy could dream to be, and id take colt mccoy as a backup in a heartbeat.

Ball is a hard runner with terrific vision, i think hes a lot like chester taylor and would immediately be better than redman

5 Jon Bostic MLB Florida

Good MLB of the future, they will likely miss out on teo and skov if they want to target a MLB

just a few guys i like early in the process, im not quite where i usually am as far as grading prospects

by position guys im intrested in on offense:

QB:

Aaron Murray
EJ Manuel

RB:

Montee Ball Wisc
Eddie Lacey Bama

WR:

Keenan Allen Cal
Terrence Williams Baylor
Robert Woods WR USC
Dennard Robinson Mich

TE:

Tyler Eifert

OT:

DJ Fluker Bama
Brennen Williams North Carolina
Sentreal Henderson Miami

OG:

Travis Frederick <3 Wisc
Chance Warmack Bama
Barrett Jones Bama

NeilPatrickBanana
12-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Amerson!
I also think he's a natural convert to safety, and would be happy to invest a 2nd rounder in him.
I love the Chase Thomas 3rd rounder pick (although this is the year I hope we go round 1 pass rusher)

Hunt is too much of a project for my liking in the 2nd round.

mcfly06
12-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Who are the resident draft nerds around here?

What players do you have your eye on?

1. Dion Jordan DE/OLB Oregon - He's been my guy since early in the season, but I expect he's moved up boards from a late 1st rounder, into a top 20 pick for sure. This team desperately lacks a player who can create a pass rush through speed/skill rather then power/scheme. Jordan, dare I make the comparison, has the same explosiveness and the nasty arm length and hand athleticism as Aldon Smith. This is the year, and Jordan is the type of player, that I would give up picks to move up and get. But.. alas, but combine day, he'll probably be a top 10-15 pick.

2. Eric Reid FS LSU - clearly the best safety in the draft, and a guy who comes from a DB factory (LSU). I think he's a better all around player then Mark Barron. He's the typical, big game playmaker... as I'm sure no one has forgotten that INT at the 1 yard line to hold the 6-6 tie game at Alabama 2011. It's time to get some talent groomed behind Troy/Clark.

3. Damontre Moore DE/OLB Texas A&M - The 3rd best pass rusher in the draft (Jones, Jordan). Note the elite explosion and pass rush versatility that Jones and Jordan have, but probably the most well rounded of the bunch. Plays the run very well for an end.

4. Barkevious Mingo DE/OLB LSU - He probably won't be available when we draft, and I wouldn't trade up for him. But if he did end up being the "guy that falls", I'd jump. No where near the explosive/dynamic talent that Jones/Jordan is, but Mingo is an SEC rounded talent who has shown he's got all the NFL skills required to be a player. Safe pick if he fell.

5. Corderelle Patterson WR Tennessee - Another guy who is going to fly up draft boards after the combine. Sky high potential, high bust factor. The tape is tantalizing... I usually hate the "compare draft pick to superstar player"... but watch his stride, and tell me it doesn't look just like Randy Moss.

6. The other 1st round WRs : Keenan Allen, Deandre Hopkins, Terrance Williams - I would not pay Mike Wallace. But, I would not go into next season without adding something to the WR core. Im a huge Antonio Brown fan. But he is NOT a #1 WR. I am not a believer in Sanders being more than a weak #2... solid #3. Brown is an EXCELLENT #2... if the chance to land a #1 comes along we should take it.

I agree with a lot of your players you listed on here, if you go to my thread in the war room. I posted one about players that are playing in the bowl games to keep a eye out on, now were not gonna get all of them and i know theres others players out there not in bowl games. But just when your watching bowl games keep a eye out on them, its called players in bowl games to keep a eye out on. But for running backs would you guys take a chance on Marcus Lattimore?? other than him its Eddie Lacy i love him and want him bad on the steelers, Jon Franklin and a few others.

mcfly06
12-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Posted this yesterday

by position guys im intrested in on offense:

QB:

Aaron Murray
EJ Manuel

RB:

Montee Ball Wisc
Eddie Lacey Bama

WR:

Keenan Allen Cal
Terrence Williams Baylor
Robert Woods WR USC
Dennard Robinson Mich

TE:

Tyler Eifert

OT:

DJ Fluker Bama
Brennen Williams North Carolina
Sentreal Henderson Miami

OG:

Travis Frederick <3 Wisc
Chance Warmack Bama
Barrett Jones Bama

Again Train we think a like!! id be happy with all these guys!

K Train
12-10-2012, 10:36 PM
id like brandon jenkins at OLB too.

dream picks (decastro fell in this category last year)

Jarvis Jones
Manti Teo
Travis Frederick

ive done well the last few years with heyward, gilbert, brown, dwyer, adams...and the only reason decastro wasnt in there was because it was a pipe dream to me

K Train
12-10-2012, 10:37 PM
I agree with a lot of your players you listed on here, if you go to my thread in the war room. I posted one about players that are playing in the bowl games to keep a eye out on, now were not gonna get all of them and i know theres others players out there not in bowl games. But just when your watching bowl games keep a eye out on them, its called players in bowl games to keep a eye out on. But for running backs would you guys take a chance on Marcus Lattimore?? other than him its Eddie Lacy i love him and want him bad on the steelers, Jon Franklin and a few others.
lattimore is an incredible talent...i would take a shot on him 100&#37; for sure, even if hes done til 2014 hes a rare talent

NeilPatrickBanana
12-10-2012, 10:38 PM

Lattimore - yes, if he fell to 3rd round
Lacy - no interest
franklin - my guy in the 4th

NeilPatrickBanana
12-10-2012, 10:52 PM
id like brandon jenkins at OLB too.

dream picks (decastro fell in this category last year)

Jarvis Jones
Manti Teo
Travis Frederick

ive done well the last few years with heyward, gilbert, brown, dwyer, adams...and the only reason decastro wasnt in there was because it was a pipe dream to me

Big difference between a dream scenario guard falling in the draft... and the best college LBer and top pass rushing prospect.

Is Frederick even going to come out this year?

My dream scenario is
1st - Dion Jordan OLB
2nd - SAFETY : Elam/Amerson/MacDonald/Vaccaro
3rd - Da'rick Rogers WR (Hoping character concerns drop him to 3rd round)

K Train
12-10-2012, 10:54 PM
id take lattimore in the second...wouldnt be surprised to see him go in round one though. if mcgahee can lattimore can

NeilPatrickBanana
12-10-2012, 10:59 PM
id take lattimore in the second...wouldnt be surprised to see him go in round one though. if mcgahee can lattimore can

i think it's a different era... i barely consider any RB 1st round worthy today....a RB with a serious injury is definitely not.
Not disregarding Lattimore talent. He's up there... the position+the injury, he's not a top 50 pick IMO.

nice call on mcgahee... when i saw the lattimore injury, mcgahee was exactly what I thought of visually.

K Train
12-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Big difference between a dream scenario guard falling in the draft... and the best college LBer and top pass rushing prospect.

Is Frederick even going to come out this year?

My dream scenario is
1st - Dion Jordan OLB
2nd - SAFETY : Elam/Amerson/MacDonald/Vaccaro
3rd - Da'rick Rogers WR (Hoping character concerns drop him to 3rd round)

i believe jarvis jones has a spinal condition that could drop him

NeilPatrickBanana
12-10-2012, 11:01 PM
RB production/talent is the easiest thing to create from elsewhere in the draft/free agency

NeilPatrickBanana
12-10-2012, 11:04 PM
i believe jarvis jones has a spinal condition that could drop him

From his USC days? I didn't know that was still considered an issue...

If Jarvis Jones doesn't go in the top 10, I'd be offering our 2nd and 3rd to move up and get him
* but id rather keep the picks and get Dion Jordan to be honest...

cuatro_tres43
12-10-2012, 11:13 PM
later round pick....Marcus Williams North Dakota State...if you don't know him check him out. Playmaker CB with KR ability.

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=204965585

mcfly06
12-11-2012, 12:32 AM
later round pick....Marcus Williams North Dakota State...if you don't know him check him out. Playmaker CB with KR ability.

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=204965585

How has he done against bigger schools? like Minnesota and them??

Black@Gold Forever32
12-11-2012, 12:46 AM

You really think some team will draft Lattimore in the 2nd?.......I know McGahee was still a first round pick but Lattimore has a history of serious injuries........I think he will be there in the 4th round but I could be wrong....Its a shame about Lattimore.....The kid was going to be a monster in the NFL....Really rooting for him to bounce back and salvage some kind of career......

K Train
12-11-2012, 01:50 AM
Jarvis Jones has spinal stenosis...USC told him to retire but he was cleared by a lot of people and it hasnt been a problem, its definitely a concern though.

i dont care though, the thought of von miller like player is incredible.

Mingo would be an excellent pick too at OLB, he reminds me a lot of aaron maybin though which is scary....undersized, viciously explosive first step, but hes gotta put on weight and keep that explosiveness to be the great player hes gonna be touted as

Real Deal Steel
12-11-2012, 09:52 AM
We need a nose tackle. Real bad. Hampton is done.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-11-2012, 10:02 AM
We need a nose tackle. Real bad. Hampton is done.

Blocker Eating/Run Stuffing Nose Tackles are going the way of the dinosaur.

McClendon should be starting... I hope we transition to a 1 gap NT. In today's league you need to be able to generate pressure with your down linemen.

With that said... this is one of the best drafts for high end DT prospects in a long time. I think 5 go in the top 15-20.

Real Deal Steel
12-11-2012, 11:54 AM
We need a NT who can atleast get a little push up the middle on passing down.

K Train
12-11-2012, 12:41 PM
jesse williams is a good one

cbrunn
12-11-2012, 01:14 PM
there are a few guys I love...David Amerson -FS , Baccari Rambo -FS , Phillip Thomas -SS (name will shoot up the board) , Gerald Hodges - OLB , Robert Alford - CB

I think the safeties are too good to pass up in this draft , time to get replacements for a strong part of our system for years... then pass rusher Next year

Amerson is a ball hawk period...
Phillip Thomas is a turnover machine ... Force fumbles , INT, and range to cover side line to side line ...

I also think Hodges possesses the skill to be a good pass rasher off the edge and be able to cover ... or you can even move him inside ... He's a good blitzer, good cover LB, and a tackling machine

Robert Alford is a 5'11 CB that can run 4.3-4.4 with ball skills... I know he only played at division 2 competition... but the kid can be a perfect slot Cover guy

Abry Jones is a 300lb DE from Georgia who will fall cause of Injury ... He used to playing the DE in the 3-4 system ... and a massive man

I would love the 1st 4 rounds to go like this

1st David Amerson - FS
2nd Phillip Thomas - SS
3rd Gerald Hodges - OLB
4th Robert Alford - CB

Unless somebody like Jarvis Jones fals

K Train
12-11-2012, 01:32 PM
i like hodges on the inside in a 34...poor man aaron curry (as a prospect)

NeilPatrickBanana
12-11-2012, 01:54 PM
I'm high on Amerson too. Do you think he goes in the first round?I have him outside the top 40 right now.

cbrunn
12-11-2012, 02:07 PM
I'm high on Amerson too. Do you think he goes in the first round?I have him outside the top 40 right now.

He could, depends if some GM will fall in love with last years tapes, He's been exposed a little this year, but I don't think as much as other ppl think ... latest I see him going is middle part of the 2nd ... I don't see him dropping to the bottom part of the 2nd ...

I wouldn't be opposed to trade back , get a extra 4th or 5th or whatever it costs ... then trade back up into the 3rd using a 4th and 5th or 6th

something like this

trade back get extra 4th ... use a 4th and 5th or whatever it costs to get back up into the 3rd and get somebody like Brandon Jenkins

1st/2nd David Amerson - FS
2nd Phillip Thomas - SS
3rd Gerald Hodges - OLB - Move inside
3rd Brandon Jenkins - OLB
4th Robert Alford - CB

NeilPatrickBanana
12-11-2012, 02:09 PM
He could, depends if some GM will fall in love with last years tapes, He's been exposed a little this year, but I don't think as much as other ppl think ... latest I see him going is middle part of the 2nd ... I don't see him dropping to the bottom part of the 2nd ...

I wouldn't be opposed to trade back , get a extra 4th or 5th or whatever it costs ... then trade back up into the 3rd using the extra pick

something like this

trade back get extra 4th or 5th... use the 4th and extra 4th or 5th or whatever it costs to get back up into the 3rd and get somebody like Brandon Jenkins

1st/2nd David Amerson - FS
2nd Phillip Thomas - SS
3rd Gerald Hodges - OLB - Move inside
3rd Brandon Jenkins - OLB

I like the idea... but I'm still personally focused on getting one of the better pass rushers in this draft. Harrison is never going to be the same. And Woodley isn't that good (worst contract extension ever).

Dion Jordan for the win!

cbrunn
12-11-2012, 02:16 PM
I like the idea... but I'm still personally focused on getting one of the better pass rushers in this draft. Harrison is never going to be the same. And Woodley isn't that good (worst contract extension ever).

Dion Jordan for the win!

Yeah I see a slot of ppl really like Jordan ... me personally haven't watched him to much and I will tune into the bowl game and make sure I watch him ... I'm just not sure with his height he fits into the Steelers Scheme

Also I think with the good safeties this year , you have to snatch replacements and get a rush LB next year (if needed) ... but also Brandon Jenkins in the 3rd is a good rush LB

Trade back and get 1 of the 3 ... Amerson - Eric Reid - Matt Elam

NeilPatrickBanana
12-11-2012, 02:25 PM
yes, ideally for me... I get my pass rusher in the 1st, and get one of those 3 safeties in the 2nd (using 3rd to trade up if necessary)

Jordan uses his arm length and hands like Aldon Smith, his size doesn't worry me, because his arms and hand technique are so good and he's so explosiveness that he's simply going to be a terror.

I would expect him to be used similarly to Aldon in his rookie year (strictly as a pass rusher). As he develops, he's one of the few talents I've seen lately that has the potential to be someone that you create parts of your defense around (like Troy, like Aldon, like JPP). He's gonna be special IMO

connecticutsteel
12-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Remember Spence will be back next year so the mike isn't that big of a need but here is my 2 cents

QB'S Zac Dysert 6'4" 220 4.6 40
EJ. Manuel 6'4" 225

NOSE TACKLE(3-4)
Johnathan Jenkins 6'3" 350
Jesse Williams 6'3" 320
Sheldon Richardson 6'3" 290

OLB (3-4)

Corey lemonier 6'4" 242 4.6 40
Demontre Moore 6'4" 250 4.75 40
Dion Jordan 6'7" 247 4.55 40
Jackson Jeffcoat 6'44" 250 4.57 40
Trevardo Williams 6'2"240 4.34 40
CB
Blidi wreh Wilson 6'2" 190 4.34 40 (he fron edinboro,pa played for uconn)
Johnathan Banks 6'1" 185 4.42 40

more to come later

K Train
12-11-2012, 05:46 PM
dion jordan really isnt a great fit for us..noticing a lot of love for him

NeilPatrickBanana
12-11-2012, 06:29 PM
dion jordan really isnt a great fit for us..noticing a lot of love for him

I don't know what you mean. Explain why he's not a good fit.

I think he's an elite fit for practically any team. He's that versatile, explosive and athletic... He's going to a be a monster in any defense. Like Aldon and JPP, it really made no difference where these guys went, or what defense they were put in.

Nolrog
12-11-2012, 06:46 PM
how about a franchise rb? I think Mendenhall is out after this season.

I agree that Mendenhall will be gone after this year. However, I wouldn't look for a RB high in the draft, even though we'd need one. The problems on defense and OL depth (not to mention another WR) are far too great to look at RB this year.

Nolrog
12-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Posted this yesterday

I'm assuming the 1, 2, 3, etc is the round you'd make the pick. IMO, there isn't enough of a focus on the defense there.

While I'm fully in favor of drafting an OL every year for depth, there's no way in hell we can spend another #1 on that. In the last 3 years, we've spent two 1s (Decastro, Pouncy) and two 2s (Gilbert, Adams). That's 4 of the 5 positions as high draft picks.

While I'm in favor of any upgrades on the D, CB is not one of the positions I'd look to first. The need at S, OLB and MILB are too great. We need a S to upgrade the back ups and eventually replace Troy. We need an OLB to replace Harrison (Worilds still doesn't look like the heir apparent). We need a MILB to replace Foote (jury is out on Spence) and we need a nose to replace Hampton (Ta'Amu ain't the guy.)

While a back up QB is certainly a need, I wouldn't go after someone with a 4th. We've gotten good value in the mid rounds at CB and WR and that's what I'd look for here.

The defensive need is so great that we may need to trade up to get him. I'd look to move our #1 & #3 to move up to get that stud we need (maybe even add in a #4 next year or something.) I'd also go after a steady defensive player in free agency (we did well with Clark and Farrior there; we should look for another guy like that.)

Most of all, this has to be a slam dunk draft. No more of this Sweed in the 2nd round crap. We need good solid picks in the top 3 and to get lucky with a couple other picks.

cuatro_tres43
12-11-2012, 07:18 PM
How has he done against bigger schools? like Minnesota and them??

just fine...i would ABSOLUTELY LOVE for the steelers draft him. Hes projected to be an NFL CB. North Dakota State has beaten several FBS schools while he has been the #1 CB on the team.

connecticutsteel
12-11-2012, 09:02 PM
Jordan isn't ideal but he could be used in some packages i love me some blidi wilson and trevardo williams

NeilPatrickBanana
12-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Jordan isn't ideal but he could be used in some packages i love me some blidi wilson and trevardo williams

New Haven?
(born and raised)

K Train
12-11-2012, 10:33 PM
I don't know what you mean. Explain why he's not a good fit.

I think he's an elite fit for practically any team. He's that versatile, explosive and athletic... He's going to a be a monster in any defense. Like Aldon and JPP, it really made no difference where these guys went, or what defense they were put in.
aldon and JPP were freaks but also super risky picks....for every one of those guys theres 10 jamaal andersons, derrick harveys, jarvis moss, gaines adams (RIP)....also i mean they usually like guys that are beastly against the run, shorter, stocky, powerful rushers. hes tall and super skinny

I'm assuming the 1, 2, 3, etc is the round you'd make the pick. IMO, there isn't enough of a focus on the defense there.

While I'm fully in favor of drafting an OL every year for depth, there's no way in hell we can spend another #1 on that. In the last 3 years, we've spent two 1s (Decastro, Pouncy) and two 2s (Gilbert, Adams). That's 4 of the 5 positions as high draft picks.

While I'm in favor of any upgrades on the D, CB is not one of the positions I'd look to first. The need at S, OLB and MILB are too great. We need a S to upgrade the back ups and eventually replace Troy. We need an OLB to replace Harrison (Worilds still doesn't look like the heir apparent). We need a MILB to replace Foote (jury is out on Spence) and we need a nose to replace Hampton (Ta'Amu ain't the guy.)

While a back up QB is certainly a need, I wouldn't go after someone with a 4th. We've gotten good value in the mid rounds at CB and WR and that's what I'd look for here.

The defensive need is so great that we may need to trade up to get him. I'd look to move our #1 & #3 to move up to get that stud we need (maybe even add in a #4 next year or something.) I'd also go after a steady defensive player in free agency (we did well with Clark and Farrior there; we should look for another guy like that.)

Most of all, this has to be a slam dunk draft. No more of this Sweed in the 2nd round crap. We need good solid picks in the top 3 and to get lucky with a couple other picks.
what do you mean 4 is to high for a backup QB? i could name a dozen 2-5 round picks that arent even on the team anymore.....getting a real backup they can count on in the 4th would be excellent, an excellent prospect even if hes undersized hes a terrific passer.

theres no way you know taamus isnt the guy, drafting oline high several years like they have is how you build a dominant team....when you are taking the cameron stephensons, chuckie okobis, AQ shipleys, darnesll stapleton, doug legursky, ramon foster, trai essex, and tony hills as "value" guys is how you screw up and build a losing team, it always starts up front and if they have to spend 6 high picks in 3-4 years to build a HOF caliber oline then so be it.

defense is a need but a bad game here and there has made several people make mocks that take ONLY defense...young guys gotta step up and grow into their roles...allen, brown, mcclenson, woods, spence ect.....they need a LB or 2, a NT, and at least one safety in the cmoing years but its not as immediate as you think

also sweed was an excellent prospect....like really excellent and was a steal, thats being captain hindsight because he was a player to be excited about that didnt work out...theres a difference between taking sweeds and kendrell bells than taking bruce davis, jason worilds (whos still terrible), trai essex, ricardo coclough in the first 3 rounds, those guys were reaches and most never showed anything at all

do you really want a package guy as a first round pick? i mean i wouldnt hate it....like said before aldon smith and JPP would be nice but they are far from the norm. im not sure i would have like bruce irvin at 15, he may turn out to be a fine player but hes a 3rd down only guy right now

Black@Gold Forever32
12-11-2012, 10:41 PM
I'm not saying I agree with these rankings but I saw them and just wanted to post them for you all......They have Jordan ranked really and he might not even be there when the Steelers pick in the first....

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFPS-Top-200-Draft-Prospects-5904.html (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFPS-Top-200-Draft-Prospects-5904.html)

cbrunn
12-11-2012, 11:59 PM
I'm not saying I agree with these rankings but I saw them and just wanted to post them for you all......They have Jordan ranked really and he might not even be there when the Steelers pick in the first....

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFPS-Top-200-Draft-Prospects-5904.html (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFPS-Top-200-Draft-Prospects-5904.html)

I doubt Jordan will be there ... He's likely to be top 15 because of his JPP Aldon Smith comparison... forces teams to at least try because you don't want to be the team that passed on one of those kind of players

Another Pass rusher is Anthony Barr from UCLA if he decides to go pro...

But I stand strong on getting 2 Safeties in this safety strong draft ... even though I doubt that's what happens
1st Eric Reid / David Amerson / Matt Elam
2nd Baccari Rambo / Phillip Thomas / TJ Mcdonald

Black@Gold Forever32
12-12-2012, 12:14 AM
I don't watch as much college ball as I use to....There was a time that is all I did on Sat. even when I was younger and partied all the time...I still would watch football then party later....lol I usually just watch the big college football games so I'm not on a par anymore with some of you that rank these prospects......I play to much poker on Sat. these days....lol

So really I go by a lot of what you guys say....I do have my own players that I like but like said I just follow college football like I use....I use to watch the MAC, WAC, CONFERENCE USA....I use to get the college football package like I do Sunday Tix and have 4 TV's with games on.....

steelchamp204
12-12-2012, 12:35 AM
Lattimore out of SC, if he falls to the 2nd round, draft this kid.I know he had the injury, but I think he will be something special in the nfl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRigxZAbz1I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzsYb2AE3mc

Black@Gold Forever32
12-12-2012, 12:39 AM
Marcus Lattimore was going to be a monster in the NFL...I just hope the injuries havn't ruined him totally....What a shame really......

steelchamp204
12-12-2012, 12:40 AM
Marcus Lattimore was going to be a monster in the NFL...I just hope the injuries havn't ruined him totally....What a shame really......

Would you take a chance on him if he falls to the 2nd round? Just asking. If he fell to the 3rd it would be a no brainer. But 2nd? I think yes. He can be a frachise running back.

K Train
12-12-2012, 12:44 AM
its tough to tell how hes going to be valued....easily a first round talent, but could probably go from 2-6 because of the injury. mcgahee's agent did a great job in getting him drafted in the first. gotta see what progress lattimore makes and how he handles himself before we'll get a good value. id say yes, 2-3 is definitely worth it even if he cant play til 2014. it would be like walking away with 2 first round picks the following year

Black@Gold Forever32
12-12-2012, 12:47 AM
Would you take a chance on him if he falls to the 2nd round? Just asking. If he fell to the 3rd it would be a no brainer. But 2nd? I think yes. He can be a frachise running back.

I honestly wouldn't do it but I also wouldn't bitch if the Steelers did....Sometimes you have to take chances.....I'm hoping he would fall later then the 2nd round....If he is there in the 3rd or 4th then hell yea take a chance......

steelchamp204
12-12-2012, 12:51 AM
its tough to tell how hes going to be valued....easily a first round talent, but could probably go from 2-6 because of the injury. mcgahee's agent did a great job in getting him drafted in the first. gotta see what progress lattimore makes and how he handles himself before we'll get a good value. id say yes, 2-3 is definitely worth it even if he cant play til 2014. it would be like walking away with 2 first round picks the following year

I just have a feeling he will be back to regular form sort of what AP did this season. Everyone was skeptical of AP running the ball this season due to his extent of his injury. I just think that Lattimore is something special. When he left that game with that injury, you dont see that much respect by the other team or conference that was shown when Lattimore went down. I think he can be the same player he was at SC before the injury. Time will tell but this team needs a frachise running back now, and its not Dwyer or Redman. They are only complimentary back imho.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-12-2012, 12:55 AM
But isn't this Lattimore's 2nd major injury?

steelchamp204
12-12-2012, 01:01 AM

Yea, the first was when he was a freshman, he would have easily had a 1,000+ yard year this season also if it werent for the injury. I think he will fall to the 3rd round. I think Train can probably give you more info on this than I can. I still have faith in that kid.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-12-2012, 01:08 AM
Yea, the first was when he was a freshman, he would have easily had a 1,000+ yard year this season also if it werent for the injury. I think he will fall to the 3rd round. I think Train can probably give you more info on this than I can. I still have faith in that kid.

Trust me I'm not saying he is done by no means.....I will be rooting for him to bounce back in the NFL...I liked watching him play...I was actually watching the game when he was hurt this past season....But a player having multi major injuries is a big risk........

cbrunn
12-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Absolutely no way you waste a 2nd round pick on him... with so many other needs , to take that big of a risk with the 2nd round is just crazy...

Yes i understand he was a beast... but lets not act like he doesn't have a lot of miles on the tires + 2 season ending injuries ... and this one he is lucky if he comes back from...

so were going to act like AP is the norm now for knee injuries?? ... that guy is not even human and has one of the best work ethics, that's why he was able to come back like that .... lets not go acting like this is going to be the Norm now

only way I'd draft him is in the 6th or 7th... too many other needs more pressing then a coming off that bad of a injury, and his 2nd season ending injury

Only RB I'd want in the 2nd if Eddie Lacey ... but I would rather no RB in the top 4 picks ... after the top 4 or 5, can go Oline, RB, WR or what ever ... it's just to deep of a defensive draft with so many needs on the defensive side

cbrunn
12-12-2012, 09:24 AM
you got to remember Haley doesn't like the big power backs like that... He would rather have McClusters and Charles ...

It wouldn't surprise me that with the 3rd RD we get Kenjon Barner if he's there, he seems like a Haley type of back to the fullest , excellent speed and able to catch the ball

Barner = Charles , Rainey = McCluster , Dwyer = Power back

NeilPatrickBanana
12-12-2012, 09:32 AM
aldon and JPP were freaks but also super risky picks....for every one of those guys theres 10 jamaal andersons, derrick harveys, jarvis moss, gaines adams (RIP)....also i mean they usually like guys that are beastly against the run, shorter, stocky, powerful rushers. hes tall and super skinny

Oregon plays a hybrid 3-4 fire zone blitz scheme, so saying he's not a good fit is a pretty weak argument. It's not like we are talking about complete convert here.

I think there is a lot of risk associated with most draft picks. And I think drafting for too long without reaching for the high end/game changing talent.... is a bigger risk as a franchise.

We haven't drafted a game changer position (QB, WR, Pass Rusher, DB) in the first round in a LONG time. If you want one good reason why this team is kinda "meh" these days... that's it. Building the Oline and Dline is nice... but we've spent too much time ignoring our lack of pass rush, lack of playmakers in the secondary, and lack of a dominant pass catcher...

TarlsQtr
12-12-2012, 09:47 AM
prospect even if hes undersized hes a terrific passer.

Sounds a lot like Ryan Nassib, although he may go higher than 4. Then again, as an SU alumni, I am more than a little biased.

TarlsQtr
12-12-2012, 09:49 AM
but we've spent too much time ignoring our lack of pass rush, lack of playmakers in the secondary, and lack of a dominant pass catcher...

The problem is that it is very difficult to get any of those things when you draft 25-32 almost every year. You get solid players with flaws.

Real Deal Steel
12-12-2012, 09:55 AM

I don't want Latimore. He is another Mendenhall all over again. Overrated and really not that good.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-12-2012, 10:05 AM
The problem is that it is very difficult to get any of those things when you draft 25-32 almost every year. You get solid players with flaws.

You have to be willing to make moves and spend multiple picks to move up and get the impact players, teams find ways to do this every year.

Dion Jordan is not going to be there when the Steelers pick... but they could CHOOSE to do what's necessary to move up and get a bigger impact player

Real Deal Steel
12-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Neilpatrickbanana,

A lot of truth in what your saying but..we have a front office that won't use free agency to compensate for the picks they might trade away in moving up. That's also the problem.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Neilpatrickbanana,

A lot of truth in what your saying but..we have a front office that won't use free agency to compensate for the picks they might trade away in moving up. That's also the problem.

If the Steelers are picking #21 (my projection), they could use their 2nd rounder to get up to around #12, or use 3rd and 4th to get to #15. If Jordan is not taken in the top 10, I'd be looking to do whatever it takes to get him.

Of course, if you don't have Jordan valued the way I do, then that sounds crazy.

Nolrog
12-12-2012, 11:13 AM
what do you mean 4 is to high for a backup QB? i could name a dozen 2-5 round picks that arent even on the team anymore.....getting a real backup they can count on in the 4th would be excellent, an excellent prospect even if hes undersized hes a terrific passer.

The fact that you can name a dozen 2-5 picks no longer with the team is exactly the problem and why we find ourselves where we are. The defense is a major problem. They don't rush the passer well and don't create turn overs. That's why we're desperate now for new playmakers.

Back up QB is absolutely a need, but it's not a bigger need than an additional CB, WR, RB or TE. So there's no way I'd spend a 4 on a position we hope never sees the field and instead, go after guys we need now to step in and contribute.

Nolrog
12-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Dion Jordan is not going to be there when the Steelers pick... but they could CHOOSE to do what's necessary to move up and get a bigger impact player

Given how badly we need a defensive impact player, not to mention a guy who could rush the QB, that should be strongly considered this year (within reasonable costs)

K Train
12-12-2012, 11:29 AM
The fact that you can name a dozen 2-5 picks no longer with the team is exactly the problem and why we find ourselves where we are. The defense is a major problem. They don't rush the passer well and don't create turn overs. That's why we're desperate now for new playmakers.

Back up QB is absolutely a need, but it's not a bigger need than an additional CB, WR, RB or TE. So there's no way I'd spend a 4 on a position we hope never sees the field and instead, go after guys we need now to step in and contribute.

you have to take these guys high or you end up with dennis dixon or omar jacobs. Skins drafted RG3 and cousins in the 1st and 4th round, and cousins is probably starting for them this week. Eagles have taken kolb and foles high and they had one hell of a return on investment with foles, both RG3 and Vick are injury prone, so lets not pretend roethlisberger is the most durable guy.

CB and TE are not huge needs, especially in the mid rounds....if they want to draft a legit impact CB they will be spenidng a 1 or 2 on him, and we have loads of mediocre TE talent in pope, johnson, and paulsen with saunders available off the streets if need be....i dont have a problem taking eifert, but heath and his posse of backups is just fine otherwise

and after investing picks in lewis, brown, allen, and burnett we need to develop those guys into players, much to soon to give up on brown and allen like they did with burnett. Both guys have great potential, sure people are down on them after last week but watching how they respond is gonna be interesting. Having better safety play should go a long way in the secondary improving. its not an accident the secondary play was great as the backups got into a rhythm, troy has put them in a hole right now because he wont just play SS hes gotta play troy

Real Deal Steel
12-12-2012, 11:31 AM
K-Train,

We need an impact Defensive player like crazy.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-12-2012, 11:43 AM
you have to take these guys high or you end up with dennis dixon or omar jacobs. Skins drafted RG3 and cousins in the 1st and 4th round, and cousins is probably starting for them this week. Eagles have taken kolb and foles high and they had one hell of a return on investment with foles, both RG3 and Vick are injury prone, so lets not pretend roethlisberger is the most durable guy.

CB and TE are not huge needs, especially in the mid rounds....if they want to draft a legit impact CB they will be spenidng a 1 or 2 on him, and we have loads of mediocre TE talent in pope, johnson, and paulsen with saunders available off the streets if need be....i dont have a problem taking eifert, but heath and his posse of backups is just fine otherwise

and after investing picks in lewis, brown, allen, and burnett we need to develop those guys into players, much to soon to give up on brown and allen like they did with burnett. Both guys have great potential, sure people are down on them after last week but watching how they respond is gonna be interesting. Having better safety play should go a long way in the secondary improving. its not an accident the secondary play was great as the backups got into a rhythm, troy has put them in a hole right now because he wont just play SS hes gotta play troy

Agree, we don't need to invest in CB or TE in this upcoming draft.

But I don't think we should be investing a top 5 round pick in a QB either. Far too many issues on this team for that. I believe "contenders" should have proven backups. They don't have time to develop a young QB.

When the time comes to begin grooming Ben's eventual replacement, we need to invest a high pick in the position... but until then, don't throw away draft picks on average QB prospects, just to have someone for Ben's expected injuries... get a vet backup for that.

cbrunn
12-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Impact defense of Player will be there when we pick ... although it might not be Jordan ...

Eric Reid / Matt Elam / David Amerson / Baccari Rambo / Phillip Thomas ... are all impact safeties with the ability to change the game

with Eric Reid / Matt Elam / Davis Amerson , being borderline 1st round picks right now, but all with the ability to change a game

Baccari Rambo / Phillip Thomas , are 2nd-3rd round guys, but both have the ability to change a game

K Train
12-12-2012, 11:50 AM
which could come in the form of a FS, SS, OLB, NT, or CB...its not gonna come all at once

First 3 picks could be a lot of different options. They could take John Jenkins in the first and brandon jenkins in the second, they culd target a safety like McDonald, Reid, Rambo, Vaccaro....all of which have their value all over the place at this point. They could go with Amerson, Banks, Rhodes at CB, amerson is a FS to me but banks and rhodes are long rangy CB who are press man guys. But G, WR, RB are all needs too. Obviously im on board with a top guard again. Having a interior line that is unbeatable will make adams and gilbert look like gods at tackle. We want to go towards building a line that dominates rather than keep playing musical linemen with backups, dont want to turn into the bears and just watch them get pummeled week after week

steelchamp204
12-12-2012, 11:58 AM
I think the dline can be ok for another year if Tomlin decides to play McLendon more often and start putting Heyward in more. We need to cut some guys if they arent going to fully play on the defensive side of the Ball. I think Sly wont be here for much longer and I expect Spence to get some time in with Foote next season(crossing fingers). I would love to see Reid playing for us as safety. Or Rambo. I dont think we will get either.

TarlsQtr
12-12-2012, 12:42 PM

Yeah, but like every team if our starter goes down for any significant period we would not make the playoffs regardless of whom we draft as Ben's backup. Even Aaron Rodgers had poor numbers as a backup, as they just do not get enough reps to be sharp.

K Train
12-12-2012, 12:51 PM
but for 3-4 games its worth having someone you can count on, and batch is not that guy anymore and leftwich never really was.

i guarantee the browns dont regret taking mccoy even if they just got weeden, because mccoy is a hell of a backup QB they could count on

NeilPatrickBanana
12-12-2012, 01:33 PM
but for 3-4 games its worth having someone you can count on, and batch is not that guy anymore and leftwich never really was.

i guarantee the browns dont regret taking mccoy even if they just got weeden, because mccoy is a hell of a backup QB they could count on

Yea, I'm sure the Browns are thrilled that they drafted Colt McCoy in the 3rd round, over Eric Decker WR, Navarro Bowman LB, Jimmy Graham TE... who all went in the next 10 picks

:thinking:

K Train
12-12-2012, 01:49 PM
right but thats so much hindsight, none of those guys were great prospects at the time.

they either have a good backup, which is HUGE for a team like the steelers that are in contention year after year with a fragile QB or they will trade him away to be a backup somewhere else (GB maybe?)

NeilPatrickBanana
12-12-2012, 02:19 PM
right but thats so much hindsight, none of those guys were great prospects at the time.

they either have a good backup, which is HUGE for a team like the steelers that are in contention year after year with a fragile QB or they will trade him away to be a backup somewhere else (GB maybe?)

the point is that you can land great talent and impact players in those mid rounds (granted it's harder), but that's where Colbert nabs a Mike Wallace or Keenan Lewis... or later rounds like Cortez Allen or Chris Rainey

Sure, you miss 4 out of 5 times... but I'd rather take those shots on players that could make a difference regularly, rather then investing in a backup you "might" need.

90% of the QBs drafted outside the first 2 rounds are free agents in 2 years... go get one of them in free agency, and coach em up. or sign a veteran as a long term backup... the Steelers have been to 3 super bowls with that strategy, i think it's worked out ok.

norris
12-12-2012, 02:27 PM
the point is that you can land great talent and impact players in those mid rounds (granted it's harder), but that's where Colbert nabs a Mike Wallace or Keenan Lewis... or later rounds like Cortez Allen or Chris Rainey

Sure, you miss 4 out of 5 times... but I'd rather take those shots on players that could make a difference regularly, rather then investing in a backup you "might" need.

90&#37; of the QBs drafted outside the first 2 rounds are free agents in 2 years... go get one of them in free agency, and coach em up. or sign a veteran as a long term backup... the Steelers have been to 3 super bowls with that strategy, i think it's worked out ok.

I completley agree. Seahawks had an unknown in flynn. Eagles had injury prone vick and the redskins draft RGIII who is vulnerable to injury because of the way he plays. Ill be interested to see who gets let go by other teams in the offseason. Hopefully they pick up someone decent.

Steelers need to focus on Defense in the draft. Look around for a FA quarterback and running back. I'm hoping they do something like this in the draft....

1 – Louis Nix III – NT – Notre Dame
2 – Phillip Thomas – SS – Fresno State
3 – Shayne Skov – ILB – Stanford
4 – D.J. Swearinger – FS – South Carolina

KemoTherapy
12-12-2012, 02:32 PM
There's so many needs on defense that it's pretty hard to zero in on what's most important. Putting McClendon and Hayward in permanently would be a good start for the d-line. That leaves a Harrison replacement and Troy replacement as the top order of the day imo.There are too many pressing needs to trade up unless a great talent slips and is suddenly witthin range. At some point you got to get a Ben replacement as well. That's the only other real reason to trade up because Ben has a lot of mileage on him now and is getting dinged up regularly.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-12-2012, 03:09 PM
I completley agree. Seahawks had an unknown in flynn. Eagles had injury prone vick and the redskins draft RGIII who is vulnerable to injury because of the way he plays. Ill be interested to see who gets let go by other teams in the offseason. Hopefully they pick up someone decent.

Steelers need to focus on Defense in the draft. Look around for a FA quarterback and running back. I'm hoping they do something like this in the draft....

1 Louis Nix III NT Notre Dame
2 Phillip Thomas SS Fresno State
3 Shayne Skov ILB Stanford
4 D.J. Swearinger FS South Carolina

They need playmakers on defense for sure... I'd be disappointed if they went with run support players like NT and Skov (although Skov in the 3rd would be a steal).
A premier Pass Rusher is an absolute must in this draft

It's a great draft for safeties... and I have no doubt we can land a very good one in the 2nd.

K Train
12-12-2012, 05:22 PM

90&#37; of the QBs drafted outside the first 2 rounds are free agents in 2 years... go get one of them in free agency, and coach em up. or sign a veteran as a long term backup... the Steelers have been to 3 super bowls with that strategy, i think it's worked out ok.

i totally understand....i dont think aaron murray is some bum either though, i think hes farrrr superior to mccoy and could actually be a good player...wouldnt be surprised to see him in the 2nd round discussion which if he falls and does well could bring a return for us in wins or trade value

Black@Gold Forever32
12-12-2012, 05:28 PM
If the QB is the best available when the Steelers pick in the 3rd or 4th round....Then why not?......Really its all about value and players drop all the time.....I like best player available over need.....

NeilPatrickBanana
12-12-2012, 05:40 PM
If the QB is the best available when the Steelers pick in the 3rd or 4th round....Then why not?......Really its all about value and players drop all the time.....I like best player available over need.....

The only time I believe in BPA is when you are picking at the top of the 1st round... and in other rounds when 1 player is ranked significantly higher on your board. If you are picking 44th, and the highest player on your board is ranked #17, and the next highest player is ranked #31, then by all means go BPA on your board

But if the 3 highest rated guys on your board are all grouped together... say #73, #74, #76.... then it would be stupid not to draft for the greater need... because it would be incredibly arrogant to think that you were able to quantify a difference between the talent of the 73rd ranked player and the 76th ranked player.

I would argue that "need" is inherently a part of your board anyways...

Going BPA as a rule, can really set back a franchise...

K Train
12-12-2012, 05:43 PM
need is absolutely a factor, more and more so as you get away from the top 10-15....they dont just go BPA, evander hood a very good example of them not taking the best player available. They wanted so badly to get younger on the dline and they took a player for pure need even though he wasnt really a good fit

NeilPatrickBanana
12-12-2012, 05:49 PM
need is absolutely a factor, more and more so as you get away from the top 10-15....they dont just go BPA, evander hood a very good example of them not taking the best player available. They wanted so badly to get younger on the dline and they took a player for pure need even though he wasnt really a good fit

I have this "I just made it up in my head" theory... that Tomlin and Colbert expected Lebeau to retire by now... lol. That's the only way the Hood pick makes any sense.... I think Hood would be a beast in a 4-3. Could you imagine him running in Perry Fewel's schemes? Perfect fit...

Black@Gold Forever32
12-12-2012, 05:50 PM
The only time I believe in BPA is when you are picking at the top of the 1st round... and in other rounds when 1 player is ranked significantly higher on your board. If you are picking 44th, and the highest player on your board is ranked #17, and the next highest player is ranked #31, then by all means go BPA on your board

But if the 3 highest rated guys on your board are all grouped together... say #73, #74, #76.... then it would be stupid not to draft for the greater need... because it would be incredibly arrogant to think that you were able to quantify a difference between the talent of the 73rd ranked player and the 76th ranked player.

I would argue that "need" is inherently a part of your board anyways...

Going BPA as a rule, can really set back a franchise...

But a team can just draft a safety just cause they need a safety....I agree safety is a big time need for the Steelers but I don't them to draft a safety early just cause safety is a huge need......All I'm saying just make sure value is there.....

Black@Gold Forever32
12-12-2012, 05:50 PM
I have this "I just made it up in my head" theory... that Tomlin and Colbert expected Lebeau to retire by now... lol. That's the only way the Hood pick makes any sense.... I think Hood would be a beast in a 4-3. Could you imagine him running in Perry Fewel's schemes? Perfect fit...

LeBeau is never going to retire...He will die on the sidelines......

ChucktownSteeler
12-12-2012, 06:29 PM
I thought Lattimore was going back to USC next year or in 2014.

K Train
12-12-2012, 06:34 PM
he said he was declaring yesterday

cbrunn
12-12-2012, 06:38 PM
what do yall think about Kenjon Barner in the 3rd?

connecticutsteel
12-12-2012, 07:23 PM
New Haven?
(born and raised)

Am i from New Haven? no but it is the closest city to the town i live in i'm from Madison .

The Answer Ktrain is no i would never take a package guy as a first rd pick i was giving my opinion on how he would fit into the Steelers he's not a good fit for that reason

cbrunn
12-13-2012, 07:38 PM
I'm actually starting to like Alex Okafor ... watching his game film on Youtube ... he remind me a lot like Woodley ... uses his power, and has a good motor ... also causes fumbles ...

Woodley and Okafor coming off the edge could crumble pockets with their strength

LevonKirkland99
12-13-2012, 08:31 PM
We need a solid Running back, a franchise RB ;)....any suggestions? The guy from Bama????

Nolrog
12-14-2012, 09:09 AM
But a team can just draft a safety just cause they need a safety....I agree safety is a big time need for the Steelers but I don't them to draft a safety early just cause safety is a huge need......All I'm saying just make sure value is there.....

The Steelers have so many needs, that shouldn't be an issue. The biggest thing is a defensive stud no matter where he plays, and even if we need to trade up to get him. We should be looking for a WRin the mid rounds and another OLfor depth (I strongly believe we should be drafting OL for depth at some point nearly every year in the mid-to-late rounds.)

Nolrog
12-14-2012, 09:14 AM
LeBeau is never going to retire...He will die on the sidelines......

We don't have the horses for a 4-3. We'd need a lot more talent and far more depth, in a 4-3, the linemen make the plays. Do we really have those guys? Those would be the highest paid studs. We have that at LB now, so we'd need to downgrade LB and upgrade DL in order to switch, and reduce LB depth to build it in DL. Honestly, I don't see that happening with or without LeBeau.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-14-2012, 11:23 AM
We don't have the horses for a 4-3. We'd need a lot more talent and far more depth, in a 4-3, the linemen make the plays. Do we really have those guys? Those would be the highest paid studs. We have that at LB now, so we'd need to downgrade LB and upgrade DL in order to switch, and reduce LB depth to build it in DL. Honestly, I don't see that happening with or without LeBeau.

I think we are in decent shape to make a transition in the near future...

- Woodley can play LDE in a 4-3
- Hood, McClendon, Ta'amu, Heyward give us a decent amount of talent to see who fits inside. I personally think Hood is a perfect fit, while I'd need to see what the others could do in some 1 gap scenarios.
- RDE could be addressed in this draft, while Worrilds/Heyward might be capable of holding the spot down short term
- Timmons could be an absolute pro bowl/D.Brooks monster on WLB. And I think he certainly has the rush capabilities to play on the Strong as well.
- The biggest issue will be finding a Mike... Again, I think Timmons is good enough, but he's so much more ideal on the outside in a 4-3. I think Spence has a future in a 4-3 as well, despite his size, he certainly could play the weakside, if Timmons fit the strong.

Woodley-Hood-XXXX-Worrilds/????
Timmons-YYYY-ZZZZ

???? Options : Draft Pick
XXXX Options : Heyward, McClendon, Ta'amu
YYYY Options : Timmons, Draft Pick
ZZZZ Options : Spence, Sylvester, Timmons, Draft Pick