PDA

View Full Version : Not going for the 2-point conversions...Just an observation...

Rastajacob
12-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Is it a telling statement that Tomlin just may not trust our current stable of running backs to get the conversion? Personally, that kind of scares me going forward...

Black@Gold Forever32
12-09-2012, 05:25 PM
What have these RB's really done to gain any trust really?.....Rashard is the most talented but its clear that a change is in the best interest for both parties really......Dwyer again given a chance to step forward but he had a lack luster game....Redman is what he is just a role player but will have a breat out game here or there......

Rastajacob
12-09-2012, 05:35 PM
^^This^^ and that is my point. not saying that the conversions may have been a big game changer, but...I guess we'll never know. Are there any RB's coming out of college this year? Any decent ones?

Troyisabeast_43
12-09-2012, 05:36 PM
I still think it was a ridiculous stupid call by Tomlin to not go for 2 there and make it a 2 score game at 34-18. I mean even if you dont get it and it's still 34-16 who cares?? I mean the game is still not over yet with 7 minutes left at least give yourself a chance for crying out loud and go for 2. Tomlin gave some retarded explanation for it in the postgame saying that he didnt want to expose the 2 point plays until the D proved they could stop the Chargers. What the **** does that have to do with anything?? Youre trying to give your team a chance to still stay in and still win the game. Now who knows if they wouldnt have gotten 3 two point conversions but the bottom line is at least give yourself a chance by going for them instead of kicking a fg and still keep it at 3 score game. It was absolutely retarded by Tomlin to do this and give the explanation he did afterwords...

Rastajacob
12-09-2012, 05:41 PM
I still think it was a ridiculous stupid call by Tomlin to not go for 2 there and make it a 2 score game at 34-18. I mean even if you dont get it and it's still 34-16 who cares?? I mean the game is still not over yet with 7 minutes left at least give yourself a chance for crying out loud and go for 2. Tomlin gave some retarded explanation for it in the postgame saying that he didnt want to expose the 2 point plays until the D proved they could stop the Chargers. What the **** does that have to do with anything?? Youre trying to give your team a chance to still stay in and still win the game. Now who knows if they wouldnt have gotten 3 two point conversions but the bottom line is at least give yourself a chance by going for them instead of kicking a fg and still keep it at 3 score game. It was absolutely retarded by Tomlin to do this and give the explanation he did afterwords...

Agreed, that is a patheticallly weak excuse...methinks he has just run out of favor with the RB's that he has and didn't wnat to risk a fumblerooski. But at the same time, you take the chance regardless. That is why i think overtly conservative play calling is bullshit and has no use in situations where you could realistically get yourself back into a game...against a pathetic Chargers team...

River Rat
12-09-2012, 05:48 PM
He's afraid to use his RBs. That's not Steeler football. You have to give the team a chance. Not going for it gets you no place

Get7With7
12-09-2012, 05:50 PM
I don't think it was about Tomlin not trusting the RBs. There are other options to make a two-point conversion. Remember the Bengals game? Heath spread out wide against a smaller DB. This was poor game management on Tomlin's part.

Rastajacob
12-09-2012, 05:57 PM
I don't think it was about Tomlin not trusting the RBs. There are other options to make a two-point conversion. Remember the Bengals game? Heath spread out wide against a smaller DB. This was poor game management on Tomlin's part.

Yeah Get7, but unfortunately, other teams are well aware of Heath in the Red Zone by now, and frankly, that is what they are expecting. If we had a TRUE running back like when we had Bussie, I don't think the question would be asked if we were going for the 2 in close situations like we had today. Fade pass to the TE in the back of the end zone is a play that needs to go the way of the leather helmets..

Clevelandsux
12-09-2012, 06:00 PM
How about Tomlin going for it on 4th and 1 again? When the offense couldn't do anything? Basically gave San diego another 3 points. Arrogant play call in my book. And we've seen him do it over and over again.

The Steelers had everything to play for today. They were coming off a HUGE win last week. They had there qb returning, they were at home and they were playing a 4-8 team with a coach and a gm on the outs. And they laid a major egg! Inexcusable. They were clearly flat and unprepared. You must blame the head coach for this.They were never in this game. They sucked!

Get7With7
12-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Here's Tomlin's reason for not going for the two-point conversion:

Mike Tomlin's odd explanation for not going to two when it was 34-16 ... READ MORE:

Mike Tomlin was asked why he didn't go for two when the Steelers pulled within 34-16. A 34-18 deficit sets up a situation where they can tie with two TDs: "Until we stopped them, it was going to be insignificant. I was holding the two-point plays for that reason and that reason only. Now, we still have them in our hip pocket. Those specialty plays, we didn't want to put on tope unless we had an opportunity to close the gap. As you can see, we didn't." ... Good luck making sense of that.

RIVERS OF STEEL
12-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Anyone with a minimal knowledge of this game would have gone for it. Nothing to lose (what would norm do?).

Ironman92
12-09-2012, 07:09 PM
Yeah....he did it in the SB calling a timeout deep into their territory and that allowed them to actually get the ball back with a few plays.

These coaches often error on the easy stuff.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Tomlin was out coached by Norv Turner today......Tomlin isn't an X's and O's type coach and his time/game management are terrible.....

ChucktownSteeler
12-09-2012, 08:08 PM
I doubt he even thought about it.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-09-2012, 08:33 PM
No. Until we stopped them it was going to be insignificant. I was holding the two-point plays for that reason and that reason only. Now, we still have them in our hip pocket. Those specialty plays we didn’t want to put on tape unless we had an opportunity to close the gap. As you can see, we didn’t.

WTF?

#1 Stopping them would be irrelevant, since once you passed on the first 2 pt conversion chance, you would not have a chance to erase a possession (8-16-24... 3 TD + 3 2pt conversions).

#2 You don't need a "specialty play" for a 2 pt conversion... i really hope you have some 3rd and goal plays in the playbook.

#3 What do you mean you didn't have a chance to close the gap? You were attempting an onsides kick with a minute left, down by 10... had you gone for 2 both times and scored the conversions you would've been down by 8, making that onsides kick a legitimate chance to author a come back

Ironman92
12-09-2012, 09:26 PM
We get the onside kick with 50 seconds left and he's in heat for that decision....whether or not we actually go in to score.

Troyisabeast_43
12-09-2012, 10:08 PM
No. Until we stopped them it was going to be insignificant. I was holding the two-point plays for that reason and that reason only. Now, we still have them in our hip pocket. Those specialty plays we didn’t want to put on tape unless we had an opportunity to close the gap. As you can see, we didn’t.

WTF?

#1 Stopping them would be irrelevant, since once you passed on the first 2 pt conversion chance, you would not have a chance to erase a possession (8-16-24... 3 TD + 3 2pt conversions).

#2 You don't need a "specialty play" for a 2 pt conversion... i really hope you have some 3rd and goal plays in the playbook.

#3 What do you mean you didn't have a chance to close the gap? You were attempting an onsides kick with a minute left, down by 10... had you gone for 2 both times and scored the conversions you would've been down by 8, making that onsides kick a legitimate chance to author a come backI agree that quote about him saying it didnt matter since we couldnt stop them is absolutely ridiculous and has nothing to do with not going for it. It didnt matter if Tomlin went for 2 on the second td to Brown that made it 34-23 cause even if you go for 2 there it's still a 9 point 2 possession game. Tomlin needed to go for 2 on the 1st td to Wallace that made it 34-16 and then you try and make it 34-18 which will at least allow you the opportunity to tie the game with 2 more tds and two 2 point conversions on 2 possessions but by kicking it and making it 34-17 which was absolutely retarded Tomlin literally gave his team no chance what so ever to come back and at least tie the game because there wasnt enough time left. Now I am not saying we would have gotten all those 2 point plays, but that's not the point. The point is that reason Tomlin gave for not going for 2 was complete and absolute chicken **** and down right inexcusable because it made absolutely no sense at all. If Tomlin thought it was insignificant and they had no chance to stop them or use the 2 point plays cause he didnt want them being on tape for future games then just forfeit the last 6 minutes of the game because that's essentially what Tomlin did by not going for 2 that first time he pretty much gave the Steelers no chance at all of coming back and at least tying the game where as going for 2 there would have at least given you a chance. By far one of the most ridiculous and dumbest explanations and things Tomlin has done and said here since being the coach of this team.

Nolrog
12-10-2012, 06:43 AM
I don't like going for the 2. We would have needed two more TDs + 2s (three including the one being attempted) to get back in the game (18 points down after the TD, PAT gives us 17, 2 gives us 16.) It's not a high percentage play, and if we miss any one of the three, we wind up in a situation where 2TDs and a FG don't tie it, we'd need 3 TDs to win.

It's easy to say just take the 2, but the conversion rate is about 1 in 2 (so getting 2 is about 1 in 4 and getting 3 is about 1 in 8 or ~13% chance).

Tomlin's explanation was stupid, I'll give you that. He should have said we needed three 2 point conversions which is fairly unlikely and if we missed one, we'd take the FG to tie out of the equation. There, problem solved. Instead, his explanation made him sound like he didn't know what was going on.

FlatsSteeler
12-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Like every game he coaches....He didn't know what was going on.......Worst Game day Coach in the NFL.......I have been saying this for 2 years now.......Time for a major retooling of the Steelers, coach and all.......

elephantman
12-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Is it a telling statement that Tomlin just may not trust our current stable of running backs to get the conversion? Personally, that kind of scares me going forward...

I like Tomlins response , and NOT go for 2 , at least not in a situation wear u need 3 of them....why provide video in a lost cause

Stone
12-10-2012, 12:53 PM
I think Dwyer has a done a lot to earn the trust but it still doesn't come his way......why?

I don't think the 2 point conversion was a big deal, the broadcasters raved about it but, IMHO, it would have meant giving up. There was still time for strange things and solid play to win the game.

Even if we made the 2, it would have been a 16 point deficit which would have meant two more TD's and two more 2 point conversion.......total desperation!

pghcityofchamps
12-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Please, for the love of God, what super-secret-gadget-110 %-full proof play would have been called? Did anyone see the Redskins' Cousin run in their 2 pts conversion? No special play, he took what the D gave him and ran it in. Your franchise, 2x winning SB QB can't handle that? I'm calling BS on that he didn't know the situation and trying to cover his tracks.
SD scored twice in 12 seconds. Anything can happen. You are still playing a 4-8 team at home. Some coaches strategize and coach to the final whistle. They feel that they are never out it. Does Tomlin think that way? Does he communicate to his coaches for their input or act in desperation? Good coaches are always thinking two-steps ahead of the game. How many steps is Tomlin thinking ahead???

NeilPatrickBanana
12-10-2012, 01:57 PM
What is scarier... that the coach didn't understand the scenario, or that we have "super secret gimmicky" plays designed to gain 2 yards...

City of Champyinz
12-10-2012, 02:07 PM
I think the overall flow of the game had an impact on his decision. It's not like the Chargers ran up the score on special teams and turnovers. They were able to jump out to a big lead bc they were able to march down the field and score consistently and the Steelers were not.

Troyisabeast_43
12-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Please, for the love of God, what super-secret-gadget-110 %-full proof play would have been called? Did anyone see the Redskins' Cousin run in their 2 pts conversion? No special play, he took what the D gave him and ran it in. Your franchise, 2x winning SB QB can't handle that? I'm calling BS on that he didn't know the situation and trying to cover his tracks.
SD scored twice in 12 seconds. Anything can happen. You are still playing a 4-8 team at home. Some coaches strategize and coach to the final whistle. They feel that they are never out it. Does Tomlin think that way? Does he communicate to his coaches for their input or act in desperation? Good coaches are always thinking two-steps ahead of the game. How many steps is Tomlin thinking ahead???It was an assanine explanation plain and simple and Tomlin by saying what he did say was pretty much making excuses for not going for 2 for whatever reason. Does he not know how to add 8+8 and know that you needed to get 16 points when it was 34-10 to make it 34-26 and give yourself at least some hope to win the game?? Im with you Tomlin saying what he said in regards to this was absolutely insane and flat out inexcusable and insulting intelligent football fans...

Troyisabeast_43
12-10-2012, 02:21 PM
I think Dwyer has a done a lot to earn the trust but it still doesn't come his way......why?

I don't think the 2 point conversion was a big deal, the broadcasters raved about it but, IMHO, it would have meant giving up. There was still time for strange things and solid play to win the game.

Even if we made the 2, it would have been a 16 point deficit which would have meant two more TD's and two more 2 point conversion.......total desperation!

Yea it would have been very hard to do but it still makes it 2 possessions instead of 3 like kicking the extra point made it. With 6 minutes left in the game the odds are very very strong that youre not going to get the ball back 3 times to score 2 tds and kick a fg to tie the game. Your best chance was to go for 2 twice if you got 2 tds which they ended up doing but they never went for 2 at all. This was the Chargers too a team that has blown big leads this year time after time and gave up a 4th and 29 play to the Ravens 2 weeks ago with the game on the line. If Tomlin had the mindset like he said of not wanting to go for 2 because he thought the defense couldnt stop the Chargers then just forfeit the last 6 minutes of the game and give up. It's essentially what Tomlin said with his absolutely retarded explanation for not going for 2...