PDA

View Full Version : Troy's first game back

steelersbabex25
12-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Can't believe nobody has talked about this yet.

How would you rate Troy's first start in what seems like ages. To me he seemed like the same Troy. Trying to make the big play and whiffing a few times in the game. Was he even in the secondary at all? Seems like he isn't balancing rushing the QB and actually playing in the secondary anymore. I would say it's time for LeBeau to restrict his creative freedom a little bit.

SnakeEyes43
12-04-2012, 03:55 PM
At first it was weird seeing him run around. The entire game I was just waiting for him to limp off the field. But overall I'm glad he's back, and I thought he looked pretty good. Like you said, he pretty much looked like the old Troy, well at least the Troy from the last few years.

City of Champyinz
12-04-2012, 03:57 PM
His first game back last week vs the Ravens....Maybe he was being a bit conservative as to not hurt himself again. I did seem him flying around a bit. It'll be interesting to see what he does vs the Chargers on Sunday. I can see Troy having a field day with Rivers. He's thrown quite a few picks and has been sacked a lot.

K Train
12-04-2012, 03:58 PM
it was nice to see him stick his nose in on a few plays

it was nicer to see him finish the game

Black@Gold Forever32
12-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Troy flying around and doing nothing........Color me impressed....eyes rolling......

LatrobePA
12-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Troy flying around and doing nothing........Color me impressed....eyes rolling......

Lol I was not impressed but hoping in time he'll get back to form.. He was used more as a decoy this past game.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Lol I was not impressed but hoping in time he'll get back to form.. He was used more as a decoy this past game.

Well Troy did survive without getting injured again....Now its time to see if he can start a game and play the majority of the game now......I would also like to see Troy make some impact plays this season.......Rivers is a turn over waiting to happen at this point and the Chargers OL is in shambles (they're working out players off the street) so this is the game for Troy to get some chances for an INT or maybe a strip sack........

Ironman92
12-04-2012, 05:51 PM
I've kinda thought for several weeks that we were saving him for the bigger picture at the end. I'm just glad to see him in there some. He didn't do much but he's great against the run even not 100%

We can't do what we want to do without him. We gotta have him being Troy.

RIVERS OF STEEL
12-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Troy, don't get injured. If it confuses the offense then keep running around.

Goodfrom55
12-04-2012, 06:11 PM
The thing about Troy is a presence. Even when he isn't having a great game, you always have to account for where he is, which makes the coverages a little more difficult to read. From what I read, if Troy was not up on the line, he was in deep coverage, swapping with Clark.

Good news is there is absolutely no issue with his calf or other areas after that game. With Ike already out, will definitely need him back there supporting the passing game. Would not be surprised at all if DL inverts the coverage between Troy and Cortez where Troy covers the underneath stuff and Cortez covers deep half.

Real Deal Steel
12-04-2012, 06:16 PM
I'd like for Troy to pace himself. He doesn't need to go launching his body at anyone or anything like that this week against Chargers. The Chargers will implode on their own. If he just plays sound football, Rivers will find the safties and cornerbacks the way he usually does.

Goodfrom55
12-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Rivers has been sacked 36 times this season; an average of 3 per game. If the Steelers pressure him, he will get antsy and throw off his back foot which means the potential for turnovers - if our secondary actually catches the ball....

Sheetz
12-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Rivers has been sacked 36 times this season; an average of 3 per game. If the Steelers pressure him, he will get antsy and throw off his back foot which means the potential for turnovers - if our secondary actually catches the ball....

This! they have had numerous dropped INTs and has been an issue for a while now

ChucktownSteeler
12-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Time will tell.

LevonKirkland99
12-04-2012, 11:07 PM
Troy being Troy....all the haters can take a hike!

Black@Gold Forever32
12-05-2012, 01:55 AM
I have to respond and I just can't help it....When Troy makes an INT or a strip sack then or makes some kind of impact this year then brag all you want....Him flying around and not doing anything doesn't impress me....I know some of you are so pumped to see his hair just flying around again........

Nolrog
12-05-2012, 07:42 AM
Clearly he sucks now and Ryan Mundy should start over him. In fact, he should be on the practice squad far down the depth chart behind Ryan Mundy, Will Allen, and some guy named Spork to catches the footballs on the kicking practice.

:thinking:

SnakeEyes43
12-05-2012, 09:38 AM
I have to respond and I just can't help it....When Troy makes an INT or a strip sack then or makes some kind of impact this year then brag all you want....Him flying around and not doing anything doesn't impress me....I know some of you are so pumped to see his hair just flying around again........

Haha, I love it. Troy is one of my favorite players, but I totally get what you mean. Sometimes I feel the same way with Woodley.
:hidechair:

Rhyno
12-05-2012, 10:18 AM

lol. So glad to see you respond like this. After you championed Mike Wallace like he was the best thing since sliced bread he fell completely flat. Now that you are dissing Troy, he is destined to return to the beast-like form he is known for. Thank you.

TarlsQtr
12-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Let us not forget the intangibles Troy brings. Opposing OCs have to gameplan for this guy. You cannot underestimate the value of having offenses spend so much time each week trying to figure out how to keep him out of the backfield. In a nutshell, he creates opportunities for others as well when healthy (admittedly very rare lately).

Ironman92
12-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Let us not forget the intangibles Troy brings. Opposing OCs have to gameplan for this guy. You cannot underestimate the value of having offenses spend so much time each week trying to figure out how to keep him out of the backfield. In a nutshell, he creates opportunities for others as well when healthy (admittedly very rare lately).

This guy gets it.

Ironman92
12-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Again....still new.

Are there actually Steelers fans on here that don't like Polamalu?

TarlsQtr
12-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Let's just say that the "what have you done for me lately" mentality dominates.

Also, your backup QB better be Drew Brees. :-)

scudmissile29
12-05-2012, 12:09 PM
**** troy!!!!

Ironman92
12-05-2012, 12:28 PM

So Rod Woodson sucked in 1995 after he blew out his knee?....I get it. Lol

SnakeEyes43
12-05-2012, 12:43 PM

That mentality dominates most professional sports, along with their fanbase.

Ironman92
12-05-2012, 12:48 PM
That mentality dominates most professional sports, along with their fanbase.

It doesn't dominate to that level. Troy has a year or so of "sucking" built up before I have any problems with him.

Real Deal Steel
12-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Hey guys..here's a new perspective about Troy to think about.

Could it be possible that by Troy sitting out so much, he was then forced to study more and get an even better understanding of the opposing team's passing game? Because I love Troy but I'll be the first to say he wasn't the sharpest knife in the tool shed. If you know what I mean.

By him being out, all he could do is study the opponent and watch film. I"m thinking this may help him read his keys better and not make that misread or be out of position less. Because we all know there were times where Troy would totally miss-diagnose the play and because of it, the opponent would get a big play.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-05-2012, 01:29 PM
lol. So glad to see you respond like this. After you championed Mike Wallace like he was the best thing since sliced bread he fell completely flat. Now that you are dissing Troy, he is destined to return to the beast-like form he is known for. Thank you.

I have dissed Troy for years....lol Way before Mike Wallace was even on the team....No I'm not a fan of Troy and never will be......Troy beast-like?.....What you have a time machine and are going back to the years 2004-2008?....lol At least you have your Super Bowl dvds of Troy when he use to make an impact........

Black@Gold Forever32
12-05-2012, 01:32 PM

No I just never have liked Troy....going back to his USC days......

SnakeEyes43
12-05-2012, 01:57 PM
It doesn't dominate to that level. Are you telling me that some people on this forum don't like Troy? Does that mean Rod Woodson sucked after he blew out his knee in 1995? Gotcha. Troy has a year or so of "sucking" built up before I have any problems with him.

The "what have you done for me lately" mentality is rampant in sports. In all levels of athletics: owners, coaches, fans, etc. It's pretty much human nature. We (fans, coaches, etc) want the best, all the time.

Anyway, I love Troy (why do you think I have the 43 in my name, lol) but I understand why some people may not. They may not like his play style, think he is overrated, whatever. It's all good. This is an internet forum for Steelers fans...just because we don't all agree on something (especially players!) doesn't make anyone's opinion invalid or make them any less of a Steelers fan. Everyone has their own opinion, to me that's what makes this forum special. People argue, butt heads, and disagree, but the love of this team is what brings us all together...and it's great! Everyone here is awesome, yes even Flame. I just felt like maybe you had the wrong impression of this forum.

Oh yeah,
:welcome2:

Black@Gold Forever32
12-05-2012, 02:11 PM
When I started dissing Troy is back in 2007 when I read on another Steelers forum that some fans thought he was the best player in the NFL....Not best defensive player but the best player.....Plus he is one of those players that Stiller Nation will never bash or be critical of which also drives me nuts....lol I mean there is some fans that still hate Ben and I understand Ben did himself no favors with some fans due to his off the field issues......So yea I'm going to stir the pot at times and knock one of the so called Untouchables (Troy Polamalu)..........

As for me defending Mike Wallace but lately I havn't been since I can't even defend him right now......But I didn't care about his hold out since even Hines Ward held out.....Another thing that drives me nuts about Stiller Nation....It was alright that Ward held out but Mike Wallace is the anti-christ for doing so.......Just like its ok for AB to make a mistake but not Mike Wallace.....AB has dropped passes, fumbled against the Raiders, threw an INT against the Ravens but that is ok......Most in Stiller Nation want to tar and feather Wallace when he drops a pass or fumbles the ball.....

SnakeEyes43
12-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Most in Stiller Nation want to tar and feather Wallace when he drops a pass or fumbles the ball.....

I do this too, and I defend AB! Lol, I don't know why really. I guess it comes down to attitudes for me. Wallace seems cocky and kind of selfish or self-centered, where AB has that positive attitude and seems like a team player. Kind of like Ward, who I loved. Maybe that makes him easier to forgive...? I don't know, but I fall into that category you mentioned, and I don't even mean to.

This year Wallace's effort is the main thing driving me nuts. He seems to have given up or something. He's out there playing with no drive or heart, it's very frustrating. He's having a solid season stat wise, but imagine the numbers he could put up if he'd go all out, every play.

HUNT4SEVEN
12-05-2012, 03:00 PM
it was nice to see him stick his nose in on a few plays

it was nicer to see him finish the game

THIS^^^^^^^:tt02:

TarlsQtr
12-05-2012, 04:02 PM
I do this too, and I defend AB! Lol, I don't know why really. I guess it comes down to attitudes for me. Wallace seems cocky and kind of selfish or self-centered, where AB has that positive attitude and seems like a team player. Kind of like Ward, who I loved. Maybe that makes him easier to forgive...? I don't know, but I fall into that category you mentioned, and I don't even mean to.

This year Wallace's effort is the main thing driving me nuts. He seems to have given up or something. He's out there playing with no drive or heart, it's very frustrating. He's having a solid season stat wise, but imagine the numbers he could put up if he'd go all out, every play.

I know its one play and I get what you are saying about Wallace but Wallace would have been crucified for this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-s-Xb28t7Js4/UI2UkoofadI/AAAAAAAANP0/48uc1glNE6E/s1600/gggg1-1.gif

Rhyno
12-05-2012, 05:04 PM
I think dissing players because they are overrated is rediculous. Why complain about one of "our" players for something they have absolutely no control over? I don't get it. I think no player is untouchable, but come on, Troy has probably shortened his life by years trying to be the best Steeler he could possibly be. Some people on this board are way too critical.

TarlsQtr
12-05-2012, 05:12 PM
I think dissing players because they are overrated is rediculous. Why complain about one of "our" players for something they have absolutely no control over? I don't get it. I think no player is untouchable, but come on, Troy has probably shortened his life by years trying to be the best Steeler he could possibly be. Some people on this board are way too critical.

What he said. ^

It was not all Steeler fans that voted him DPOY a couple of years ago and it is not Troy's fault if people were calling him the best ever.

SnakeEyes43
12-05-2012, 06:47 PM
I know its one play and I get what you are saying about Wallace but Wallace would have been crucified for this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-s-Xb28t7Js4/UI2UkoofadI/AAAAAAAANP0/48uc1glNE6E/s1600/gggg1-1.gif

I was pretty mad about that and vocalized it on the forum. But yes, had Wallace done that same thing, there would have been a sh*t storm.

Ironman92
12-05-2012, 07:49 PM
When I started dissing Troy is back in 2007 when I read on another Steelers forum that some fans thought he was the best player in the NFL....Not best defensive player but the best player.....Plus he is one of those players that Stiller Nation will never bash or be critical of which also drives me nuts....lol I mean there is some fans that still hate Ben and I understand Ben did himself no favors with some fans due to his off the field issues......So yea I'm going to stir the pot at times and knock one of the so called Untouchables (Troy Polamalu)..........

As for me defending Mike Wallace but lately I havn't been since I can't even defend him right now......But I didn't care about his hold out since even Hines Ward held out.....Another thing that drives me nuts about Stiller Nation....It was alright that Ward held out but Mike Wallace is the anti-christ for doing so.......Just like its ok for AB to make a mistake but not Mike Wallace.....AB has dropped passes, fumbled against the Raiders, threw an INT against the Ravens but that is ok......Most in Stiller Nation want to tar and feather Wallace when he drops a pass or fumbles the ball.....

So since 2007 Troy has done nothing to change your opinion (based on other's opinions)...

Troy was not ours to enjoy over those years....but he's liked or loved by everyone who doesn't hate the Steelers. He's incredibly polished and well-spoken off the field and he's a fearless crazy guy on the field that is seemingly everywhere.

Similar would be Colts fans not on board with Manning when he was there...or Saints fans against Brees. Oilers/Titans against Eddie George.

Not sure why even bother being a fan. To have a great player on your team that other teams fans love.....that's something to relish.

chisteeler
12-05-2012, 09:16 PM
The "what have you done for me lately" mentality is rampant in sports. In all levels of athletics: owners, coaches, fans, etc. It's pretty much human nature. We (fans, coaches, etc) want the best, all the time.

Anyway, I love Troy (why do you think I have the 43 in my name, lol) but I understand why some people may not. They may not like his play style, think he is overrated, whatever. It's all good. This is an internet forum for Steelers fans...just because we don't all agree on something (especially players!) doesn't make anyone's opinion invalid or make them any less of a Steelers fan. Everyone has their own opinion, to me that's what makes this forum special. People argue, butt heads, and disagree, but the love of this team is what brings us all together...and it's great! Everyone here is awesome, yes even Flame. I just felt like maybe you had the wrong impression of this forum.

Oh yeah,
:welcome2:

This made me laugh...but I have to agree. It's the team that pulls us together. I rarely post, so maybe I should not let some comments get to me and remember that it's just a forum and not personal. So, with that, I apologize for getting my jock in a knot occasionally. Go Steelers:tt02:

Black@Gold Forever32
12-06-2012, 01:51 AM
So since 2007 Troy has done nothing to change your opinion (based on other's opinions)...

Troy was not ours to enjoy over those years....but he's liked or loved by everyone who doesn't hate the Steelers. He's incredibly polished and well-spoken off the field and he's a fearless crazy guy on the field that is seemingly everywhere.

Similar would be Colts fans not on board with Manning when he was there...or Saints fans against Brees. Oilers/Titans against Eddie George.

Not sure why even bother being a fan. To have a great player on your team that other teams fans love.....that's something to relish.

Relish Troy all you want....lol I don't relish any player...lol Players come and players go.......

TarlsQtr
12-06-2012, 10:51 AM

I agree. Troy is intelligent, faithful to both wife and God, articulate, gives 100% of his body to his team, and a genuinely nice guy. I do not teach my son to idolize athletes but if I did, it would be Troy. He is classy. Not to diss Ben who has seemingly turned his life around, but he could have learned some great lessons from Troy over the first few years of his career.

Ironman92
12-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Relish Troy all you want....lol I don't relish any player...lol Players come and players go.......

No kiddin. Change the word "relish" to whatever. He's been a phenomenal player for us for a good number of years. Hopefully you appreciated what he did do. I don't idolize anyone but he's damn near perfect as a whole package and a great guy....of course they come and go. I glad no one else had him....and that's the thing, every other team outside of Baltimore (Reed) would've killed to have him.

Go Steelers

SnakeEyes43
12-06-2012, 03:52 PM
lol I don't relish any player...Players come and players go.......

Just like Mendy and Wallace. ;)

BLACKandGOLD
12-06-2012, 06:54 PM
I didn't think it was a terrible first game back but he definitely has a little rust. I give him some slack being that hes been out for a while. I think with more reps he'll get back to the normal Troy we are all used to seeing. Just having them out there has to affect an offense.