PDA

View Full Version : How do you like "the old man" now?

NYCsteelersfan
12-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Probably a good time for all the LeBeau haters to admit that the only thing LeBeau had lost was personnel, not his ability to be a great defensive coordinator. If management and the HC give him the proper ingredients, he'll always offer up the opposing team's offense a mean batch of shut the f#%k up.

LatrobePA
12-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Thanks but no thanks, I'm done sucking up! Thank goodness for the new DB coach!!

NYCsteelersfan
12-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Thank goodness for the new DB coach!!

lol Yeah sure. I'll give him as much credit as I would give the waterboy on offense.

LatrobePA
12-03-2012, 07:23 PM
lol Yeah sure. I'll give him as much credit as I would give the waterboy on offense.

Cool!

SteelerCountry58
12-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Thought this was another Batch smooching thread by the title. LOL

SnakeEyes43
12-03-2012, 07:26 PM

Really??? :sHa_okay:

NYCsteelersfan
12-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Thought this was another Batch smooching thread by the title. LOL

lol I think LeBeau might be in slightly better shape than poor Charlie Batch.

NYCsteelersfan
12-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Really??? :sHa_okay:

Yes, really. Giving the credit to the DB coach instead of LeBeau is like giving credit to the WR coach instead of Haley. The Team is #1 in OVERALL defense. 1st against the pass and 5th against the rush. Obviously, it's not just the DB coach.

Goodfrom55
12-03-2012, 07:42 PM
At the start of the year, he was too vanilla in his schemes and way to predictable. We haven't seen that stuff since the Tennessee debacle though. He has been calling great games, disguising schemes and changing things up.

I'm not quick to credit Lake though. He has also done a good job, but these DB's catch like they're wearing oven mitts. They have to get their heads turned around sooner and look for the ball sooner so they can make a play. Steelers have had plenty of INT chances, but it seems like the defenders are a second late looking for the ball - especially on fade routes.

All in all, the defense is playing "A-" football. Would be "A+" if there were more turnovers.

SnakeEyes43
12-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Yes, really. Giving the credit to the DB coach instead of LeBeau is like giving credit to the WR coach instead of Haley. The Team is #1 in OVERALL defense. 1st against the pass and 5th against the rush. Obviously, it's not just the DB coach.

And Lake deserves no credit, and has nothing to with, the improved secondary play....gotcha.
I agree that LeBeau has been awesome, never said he wasn't. It was just dumb of you to say that Carnell Lake deserves as much credit as a water boy, that's all.

LatrobePA
12-03-2012, 07:46 PM

We all ready have a thread sucking the *** of Batch we don't need another one like it, give it a rest and try being a little more original!

NYCsteelersfan
12-03-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm not quick to credit Lake though. He has also done a good job, but these DB's catch like they're wearing oven mitts. They have to get their heads turned around sooner and look for the ball sooner so they can make a play. Steelers have had plenty of INT chances, but it seems like the defenders are a second late looking for the ball - especially on fade routes.

100% agree.

We all ready have a thread sucking the *** of Batch we don't need another one like it, give it a rest and try being a little more original!

There's either going to be a thread "sucking ***," or there's going to be a thread "whining and hating." That's 90% of what exists on a sports forum. For someone who's been here for 8 years, you would think you would know and accept that by now.

NYCsteelersfan
12-03-2012, 07:58 PM
And Lake deserves no credit, and has nothing to with, the improved secondary play....gotcha.
I agree that LeBeau has been awesome, never said he wasn't. It was just dumb of you to say that Carnell Lake deserves as much credit as a water boy, that's all.

I'm not going to praise Lake for not having to coach Taylor and Gay. That's dumb. The DB personnel simply improved. Why would I give credit to the DB coach? It's not like he took players that used to suck and made them good.

SnakeEyes43
12-03-2012, 08:01 PM
I'm not going to praise Lake for not having to coach Taylor and Gay. That's dumb. The DB personnel simply improved. Why would I give credit to the DB coach? It's not like he took players that used to suck and made them good.

Well, the secondary, which previously made many of us pull our hair out, is now a serious strength on the defense. So yeah, agree to disagree. I've been to Latrobe the last two years, and I like what I see from Lake. Everything from work ethic, to his interactions with the players, is great.

SteelCityKid5
12-03-2012, 08:13 PM
The lack of takeaways or "splash plays" concerns me.

SnakeEyes43
12-03-2012, 08:15 PM
The lack of takeaways or "splash plays" concerns me.

We were spoiled with Harrison and Troy in their prime.

NYCsteelersfan
12-03-2012, 08:24 PM
We were spoiled with Harrison and Troy in their prime.

Sometimes the only way you can stop a team's passing game is by intercepting the few mistakes the QB makes. There are certain passing offenses that can't be stopped otherwise the majority of the time. Throw in the fact that the refs call pass-happy games during the post-season and basically you need to take the ball away because playing "good" defense in the secondary will only result in BS yellow flags.

K Train
12-03-2012, 08:41 PM
i love lake and what hes done with the DBs but i have never had a problem with lebeau....every coach can get out coached, but you dont see a lebeau defense down for a long stretch

NeilPatrickBanana
12-03-2012, 08:42 PM
i love lake and what hes done with the DBs but i have never had a problem with lebeau....every coach can get out coached, but you dont see a lebeau defense down for a long stretch

I think they are playing significantly more M2M and Press since Tennessee... and I'm inclined to believe it's at Tomlin's insistence.

LatrobePA
12-03-2012, 08:46 PM
I think they are playing significantly more M2M and Press since Tennessee... and I'm inclined to believe it's at Tomlin's insistence.

Do you guys think the M2M could be a Tomlin touch??

TarlsQtr
12-03-2012, 10:14 PM
At the start of the year, he was too vanilla in his schemes and way to predictable. We haven't seen that stuff since the Tennessee debacle though. He has been calling great games, disguising schemes and changing things up.

All in all, the defense is playing "A-" football. Would be "A+" if there were more turnovers.

Bingo.

Ironman92
12-03-2012, 10:23 PM
The old man never let's you down in the grand scheme of things.

NYCsteelersfan
12-04-2012, 01:58 AM

Of course that's what you're inclined to believe. You're one of the LeBeau haters who now looks like a moron. "The only problem I have with Tomlin is that he won't fire a hall of famer." I'm sure you knew plenty of defensive coordinators to replace the ineffective LeBeau who could've ended up with a better defense than what we have now.

I'm inclined to believe that replacing ineffective players on defense with effective players has made what has previously worked for Lebeau start working again.

Stone
12-04-2012, 08:06 AM
I love Charlies experience and calm. I just hate to see the 40 yard rainbows that leave the stadium and come back down with moisture from the clouds:lol:

Goodfrom55
12-04-2012, 08:56 AM
I love Charlies experience and calm. I just hate to see the 40 yard rainbows that leave the stadium and come back down with moisture from the clouds:lol:

If he is going to take shots downfield like that, then he needs to get rid of the ball much sooner and let the speed run under it.

NeilPatrickBanana
12-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Of course that's what you're inclined to believe. You're one of the LeBeau haters who now looks like a moron. "The only problem I have with Tomlin is that he won't fire a hall of famer." I'm sure you knew plenty of defensive coordinators to replace the ineffective LeBeau who could've ended up with a better defense than what we have now.

I'm inclined to believe that replacing ineffective players on defense with effective players has made what has previously worked for Lebeau start working again.

Lebeau had played little to no Man 2 Man for most of his career as a coordinator. Since the Green Bay Super Bowl loss, in which his zone schemes were systematically picked apart, the Steelers have played a lot more M2M. This has been both good (see victory over New England last year), and bad (see playoff loss to Denver).

But, regardless, I think it's pretty safe to say that the Tomlin has had his say in the shift to more M2M and more press coverage. Do you deny that?

Which ineffective players were replaced?

Real Deal Steel
12-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Batch has to do it again. Then I'll be really impressed.

K Train
12-04-2012, 12:01 PM
wrong old man, they are talking about the older one

Crowned
12-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Lebeau's defense is still stale and predictable and will get completely carved up by spread offenses. (NE, Den, GB, NO)

Stone
12-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Lebeau's defense is still stale and predictable and will get completely carved up by spread offenses. (NE, Den, GB, NO)

Kinda off target when you are talking about the best D coordinator EVER, and the best D in the league this year.
Especially when ESPN has been gushing this week about how difficult it is to know what the Steelers are doing when most of the front seven are standing up.

Stone
12-04-2012, 02:10 PM
If he is going to take shots downfield like that, then he needs to get rid of the ball much sooner and let the speed run under it.

The problem is that the speed that is running under it is the safety catching up, our WR's have to stop to come back to it and field it like a punt:lol:

tburg68
12-04-2012, 04:56 PM
DL has done an outstanding job of adjusting this season. I think the lack of turnovers is a result of the lack of pressure on the QB. That lack of pressure is mainly because of the bad health of the Steelers OLB'ers. That is the thrust of the pressure. Harrison appears to be getting healthier, and hopefully so will the pressure/turnovers.

Goodfrom55
12-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Most important aspect of the pass rush is good pressure up the middle from the front 3 so when the QB feels pressure from the outside, he has nowhere to step up. When that happens, it's lights out.