PDA

View Full Version : Should Steelers Rest Ben, Start Batch vs. Reeling Chargers?

steelspikes
12-03-2012, 03:20 PM
San Diego and Norvelle Turner are done. Toast. Following their 4th and 29 meltdown vs. the Ratbirds, and subsequent home loss to the Bungals, just how much of a threat do they pose to a motivated Steeler team, that just rallied arouind their 3rd string QB to beat a Division leader? The pass protection the O-line gave to Batch yesterday was incredibly good. If Ben is still hurting, would the team be better off to give him another week before traveling to Dallas to face a team that is fighting for its' playoff life?

SnakeEyes43
12-03-2012, 03:28 PM
If Ben is healthy, pain free, and feels confident in himself, he should go. I don't want his first game back to be a must-win agaisnt the Cowboys.

Also, we all thought the Raiders, Titans, Cheifs, and Browns all sucked too right? Every team plays the Steelers tough.

steelspikes
12-03-2012, 03:35 PM
If Ben is healthy, pain free, and feels confident in himself, he should go. I don't want his first game back to be a must-win agaisnt the Cowboys.

Also, we all thought the Raiders, Titans, Cheifs, and Browns all sucked too right? Every team plays the Steelers tough.
First, unlikely Ben will ever be "pain-free" for the rest of his life, given the amount of punishment he's taken. Question revolves around his throwing motion. Ben has never lacked in confidence and relishes clutch situations; I have no hesitancy in his first game back being against Dallas. Jerry-World has gained a rep for being a non-hostile place for opposing teams, unlike the Black Hole in Oakland. Hell. even Tenn. is a more difficult place to play.

steelchamp204
12-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Yes, Ben should start.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-03-2012, 03:56 PM
If Ben can make all the throws and is medically cleared then yea he should play...........But the Chargers are on the verge of mailing it in.....I really think the Steelers can beat the Chargers in Pittsburgh with Batch at QB......

steelersbabex25
12-03-2012, 04:13 PM
No. I'm not paying $100 to watch Batch at QB. Besides, let Batch go out with people remembering him for doing something great. Don't let him **** it up.

Steveo
12-03-2012, 04:15 PM
SD isn't a give me, play Ben if he's healthy
Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

chisteeler
12-03-2012, 04:21 PM
I f Ben can go, then I say you let him play. If the Defense keeps showing up, then this becomes a "warm-up" game for Ben to knock off a little rust. After that, put the hammer down towards the playoffs.

cmerrifield
12-03-2012, 04:23 PM
If Ben is cleared to play then he should play. We arent paying him 1 million dollars a game to watch.

sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk 2

LatrobePA
12-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Hell no, his *** plays! Our run starts the 9th, with Ben!!

K Train
12-03-2012, 04:54 PM
No. I'm not paying $100 to watch Batch at QB. Besides, let Batch go out with people remembering him for doing something great. Don't let him **** it up.

this.

last thing they need is to lose to another worse team,the season needs to be like the 7-5 steelers going into soldier field in 05 and winning out

Goodfrom55
12-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Steelers 4 game season starts Sunday. If Ben is able to play based on practice performance, yes. If he is playing based on guts and adreneline, no.

Steelers can still win this division (SD, @Dallas, CIN, CLE)
Ravens have a harder road (@Wash, NYG, Den, @ CIN)

Troyisabeast_43
12-03-2012, 05:06 PM
If Ben can make all the throws and is medically cleared then yea he should play...........But the Chargers are on the verge of mailing it in.....I really think the Steelers can beat the Chargers in Pittsburgh with Batch at QB......I think Batch can beat them too. The Chargers keep in mind also are a horrible team on the road when playing on the East Coast at 1 o clock. Phillip Rivers hasnt been good at all the last few weeks and I look for the Steelers defense to give him fits on a cold day Sunday at Heinz Field where he and the rest of the Chargers will be very uncomfortable. With that being said, I think if Ben is ready to go you definitely play him which I think he will be...

Troyisabeast_43
12-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Steelers 4 game season starts Sunday. If Ben is able to play based on practice performance, yes. If he is playing based on guts and adreneline, no.

Ravens have a harder road (@Wash, NYG, Den, @ CIN)It will get very interesting if the Skins beat the Ravens Sunday and the Steelers beat the Chargers then the deficit will only be down to 1 game in the division. Then, all you would need is the Ravens to lose 2 out of their last 3 to both Manning brothers or the Bengals all who will be fighting for their playoff lives...And if Batch can beat the Ravens at home in Baltimore you know damn well that the Broncos and Giants with Peyton and Eli can do the exact samething..Im with you this is far from a decided race in the AFC North...The Ravens opened the door a little bit for the Steelers yesterday by not closing them out when they had the chance...

Goodfrom55
12-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Looking at SD'd numbers, they are similar to the Steelers on offense and defense, with the only glaring exception being pass defense. Steelers give up 166 YPG where SD gives up 240 ypg. Their points allowed are similar, and they have been in every game they lost this year. This is not a show up and win game for the Steelers; if Ben practices and has a good week of practice, he should play. If not, then it's all hands on deck again and the Steelers need to do whatever necessary to come out of the game with a W.

Looking at Rivers, he doesn't get sacked often, but throws off his back foot quite a bit. if the Steelers can get pressure on him up the middle, he will be a sitting duck. Take away Floyd and Gates and don't so anything stupid, and this game shold be another W for the Steelers.

LatrobePA
12-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Rivers is due to have an awesome game. Lets not take this team lightly!

City of Champyinz
12-03-2012, 06:57 PM
It all depends on how Ben feels. Batch is a very capable QB. I guess he just needed to shake the cob webs off in Cleveland. The Steelers have an awesome supporting cast which is very "back QB friendly" as some analysts have said. There is a sense of urgency. The Steelers need to win as many games as possible down the stretch, but it's not worth it if it means Ben playing horribly because he's not quite ready. If he can throw the ball down the field, he definitely needs to start against the Chargers IMO. Not necessarily because he gives the team a better chance of winning, but he can get re-acclimated to the offense in order to be on point down the stretch.

RIVERS OF STEEL
12-03-2012, 07:23 PM
If it looks like the way we won in Blatimore then check Ben for another day. Need him more for the final assault.

River Rat
12-03-2012, 07:28 PM
If he's ready you have to play him. We need to run the table

coldrolled
12-03-2012, 07:30 PM

If the ravens are knocked down... we would switch from 6 to 3rd seed and have a home game.. if the bengals also lose a few.

Ironman92
12-03-2012, 10:43 PM
At home versus the lifeless Chargers it would be ideal to use Batch one more week.....but they need to win the last 4 games and get rolling at the perfect time.

Gotta beat the Chargers....I'd have been ready and let Batch start to see if they can go another week without Ben.

This team is near good health....and they can get it rolling. I have them as the 5 seed and Ravens as the 4.....

Things could get real interesting IMO

Ironman92
12-03-2012, 10:46 PM
BTW....I'm a newbie. I had to find an actual Steelers site as my main site lacks Steelers talk on game day and too many Browns fans being idiotic. My favorite team has always been the Steelers....29 years and counting

I went to Steeler Nation first but they act like you have to have 10,000 posts to be worthy to comment....and they are minor league without Tapatalk

TarlsQtr
12-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Two big errors I see being made here.

1) Thinking that the Chargers cannot come in and win this game. Yes, they have played like crap but there is a lot of talent on that offense. This is the NFL and there are no sure things.

2) Some seem too ready to take a chance on this game as if a playoff spot is ours. For crying out loud, we are TIED for the last playoff spot with the Bungles. We cannot afford to give Ben an extra week if he is healthy enough to be effective.

K Train
12-03-2012, 11:14 PM
chargers (like the raiders, broncos, chiefs, jaguars) always seem to give the steelers a hell of a game no matter how bad they might be

Ironman92
12-03-2012, 11:21 PM

1) Thinking that the Chargers cannot come in and win this game. Yes, they have played like crap but there is a lot of talent on that offense. This is the NFL and there are no sure things.

2) Some seem too ready to take a chance on this game as if a playoff spot is ours. For crying out loud, we are TIED for the last playoff spot with the Bungles. We cannot afford to give Ben an extra week if he is healthy enough to be effective.

All this is understood. We lost to the horrid Raiders and Titans with Ben. We witnessed the Browns game.

This franchise has had it's share of frustration this season....from here on out we're winning. I hate Rivers and can't stand Norv, so I fully expect them to cause me great irritation Sunday. But we're gonna win.

Real Deal Steel
12-04-2012, 12:32 AM
I"m not sure. I think we can beat the Chargers without Ben. I just don't believe he'll be able to make all the throws. Plus, with out defense the way it's playing, and the way Phillip Rivers is turning the ball over, I think we can run the ball down their throats.

steelspikes
12-04-2012, 11:14 AM

Agree. Ratbirds have eked out games they could easily -- and probably should have--lost, such as Dal., S.D., & S.D. they caught breaks in not having to face Big Ben. They are paper tigers. Now Suggs is hurt again. Their wideouts are not that scary. Shut down Torrey Smith and they can't score much.

steelspikes
12-04-2012, 11:17 AM
BTW....I'm a newbie. I had to find an actual Steelers site as my main site lacks Steelers talk on game day and too many Browns fans being idiotic. My favorite team has always been the Steelers....29 years and counting

I went to Steeler Nation first but they act like you have to have 10,000 posts to be worthy to comment....and they are minor league without Tapatalk Welcome to SA.

steelspikes
12-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Good points, but Bolts have to be really demoralized. Norv will soon be unemployed.

RIVERS OF STEEL
12-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Ironman92 (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/member.php/7009-Ironman92)

Welcome to the real Nation. Steeler Addicts is your home. Nice post.

Troyisabeast_43
12-04-2012, 02:21 PM
I think Ben is going to play this week. Tomlin just said at his news conference an hour ago that he looks good and is going to throw tomorrow. All signs point to Ben being ready to go on Sunday which should definitely increase our chances of winning even that much more. The Chargers are not a very good team and there is no reason what so ever that the Steelers should not win this game if they play like they are capable of...

Stone
12-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Yes, Ben should start.

Only if he is 100%. He should be on ready standby in case the game calls for him versus Charlie.

We need Ben healthy for the playoffs.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-04-2012, 05:11 PM
I'm firmly content with Batch starting this week, same as I was the week before and going into the Cleveland game. He'll make his share of mistakes but the defense is playing well and the run game is good enough to help carry them through the mistakes that Batch will make from time to time.

Ben was nowhere close to playing last week now he's questionable for this week. I'm perfectly fine with sitting him for another week if he needs it. So long as he comes back during the season at some point to shake off the rust before the playoffs.

connecticutsteel
12-04-2012, 05:18 PM
If Ben is ready play him

FlatsSteeler
12-04-2012, 05:24 PM
If BR7 is ready he needs to play.....PERIOD......the Steelers won last week in spite of Batch, he made way more mistakes than good plays........Steelers need to win out the best chance of that is with BR7.......everybody is overlooking the Chargers....people forget the Raiders,Titans and Browns games...no team is a pushover in the NFL and the Steelers aren't going to win with Batch.....the best player named Batch on the team is Barron....lol....

steelspikes
12-04-2012, 05:32 PM
If BR7 is ready he needs to play.....PERIOD......the Steelers won last week in spite of Batch, he made way more mistakes than good plays........Steelers need to win out the best chance of that is with BR7.......everybody is overlooking the Chargers....people forget the Raiders,Titans and Browns games...no team is a pushover in the NFL and the Steelers aren't going to win with Batch.....the best player named Batch on the team is Barron....lol.... Er, pretty sure Baron was cut a couple of weeks ago. And double er, in case u haven't heard, Steelers just won with Batch at the helm.

LatrobePA
12-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Ben is playing, don't pay attention to the smoke screen Tomlin is throwing..

FlatsSteeler
12-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Er, pretty sure Baron was cut a couple of weeks ago. And double er, in case u haven't heard, Steelers just won with Batch at the helm.

Errr As I said they won in spite of Batch at the helm....errrr maybe you missed the Browns debacle errrr or the mistakes he made in the Ravens game...errrr or maybe you just like to talk like a Pirate ERrrrr........

TarlsQtr
12-04-2012, 11:32 PM
Errr As I said they won in spite of Batch at the helm....errrr maybe you missed the Browns debacle errrr or the mistakes he made in the Ravens game...errrr or maybe you just like to talk like a Pirate ERrrrr........

Err, Ben has won TONS of games with a he!! of a lot worse numbers than Batch had last week, especially against the Ravens. To say they won in spite of Charlie is absurd.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-05-2012, 01:53 AM
Err, Ben has won TONS of games with a he!! of a lot worse numbers than Batch had last week, especially against the Ravens. To say they won in spite of Charlie is absurd.

To be fair here the Ravens D that Charlie faced was their worst defense in years.........

Real Deal Steel
12-05-2012, 02:39 AM
I don't think we need Ben. The Chargers turn the ball over a ton. And we will be able to run the ball.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-05-2012, 04:15 AM
I don't think we need Ben. The Chargers turn the ball over a ton. And we will be able to run the ball.

If Ben is medically cleared and can make all the throws then he plays.....But I agree the Steelers can beat the Chargers with Old Man Charlie......The Chargers are on the verge of mailing it in and Norv Turner is lame duck coach at this point....Plus their OL is in shambles.....Working out guys off the street to make sure they have enough OL to dress on Sunday....lol

Raleigh Steel
12-05-2012, 04:40 AM
Some questions to consider:
1) is Ben totally healthy, and I mean healthy enough that it wouldn't do him more harm in the long run to play him?
2) if Charlie plays, does that keep the intensity up on the team so they don't play down to their competition like they normally do?
3) do the charger suck it up and put one last tough game together with a nothing to lose metality?

This game makes me nervous. If Ben plays the team could feel like they are automatically going to win, then a chiefs performance shows up. Or does it inspire the team to go out and crush SD?

I want to see Ben out there. But only if he's ready to play.

Ironman92
12-05-2012, 08:37 AM

The Steelers just don't accumulate very many turnovers forced.

TarlsQtr
12-05-2012, 10:50 AM
To be fair here the Ravens D that Charlie faced was their worst defense in years.........

Agreed, but the point is that Ben has won a lot of games where his numbers were far south of Batch's, even in the Super Bowl. Yet, I hear very few comments from people saying they won "in spite of" Ben. If we look at Charlie's performance fairly, he played better than anyone has the right to expect.

SnakeEyes43
12-05-2012, 11:46 AM
I want Ben on the field, but I am confident we good drop the Bolts with good ol' Charlie.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Agreed, but the point is that Ben has won a lot of games where his numbers were far south of Batch's, even in the Super Bowl. Yet, I hear very few comments from people saying they won "in spite of" Ben. If we look at Charlie's performance fairly, he played better than anyone has the right to expect.

Charlie missed some throws but he made a bunch to win that game (especially on the final drive) so I agree with you the Steelers won in spite of Batch is wrong............

Real Deal Steel
12-05-2012, 05:08 PM
You would think that if Batch gets the majority of reps this week, he'll be better then last week. And that would be good enough for him to lead us to victory over the Chargers.

Goodfrom55
12-05-2012, 05:47 PM
CHargers are pretty stout against the run, averaging 94 YPG. It doesn't mean the Steelers won't have success here, but they will truly need to have success throwing the ball in order to loosen up the run defense - especially if Ben does not play.

If ben plays and the Steelers are up by double digits heading into the 4th quarter, Ben comes out.

Oh and for the record, Barron Batch was released but recently signed to the practice squad.

steelspikes
12-06-2012, 12:53 PM

"Er": is a Jim Rome Rome reference; pirates use "ahrrr," not "er." Re Batch, yes, I saw the Cleveland debacle. when your backs constantly fumble it's hard to do anything. Plus, could you give 'ol charlie a little break. His 2nd game was a dramatic improvement. Do we really know that it's very tough to come off the bench and play QB in the NFL?

steelspikes
12-06-2012, 12:55 PM
CHargers are pretty stout against the run, averaging 94 YPG. It doesn't mean the Steelers won't have success here, but they will truly need to have success throwing the ball in order to loosen up the run defense - especially if Ben does not play.

If ben plays and the Steelers are up by double digits heading into the 4th quarter, Ben comes out.

Oh and for the record, Barron Batch was released but recently signed to the practice squad.

thanks for the update on Byron.

Rhys Lightning 63
12-06-2012, 07:22 PM
I think one more game wouldn't hurt, especially against San Diego. If we were playing a big team like New England/Baltimore/Cinci, I would be more inclined to take a risk, but I think Batch can go one more game.

What we don't want is for Ben to come back not 100%, and for him to be worsened off my a 'minor' blow that he could have dealt with easily in previous weeks before the injury

Black@Gold Forever32
12-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Ben is starting so end of story....Tomlin made Ben show he was ready in practice all week.......

steelspikes
12-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Ben is playing, don't pay attention to the smoke screen Tomlin is throwing..
Probably the most insightful post on this thread. I am glad he's apparently ready to go. Don't see this a really tough challenge, unless Stillers regress and play down to the level of the competition.

LatrobePA
12-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Probably the most insightful post on this thread.

And I posted that days ago! lol Tomlin and I are tight like that! Haaaa