PDA

View Full Version : So - What Is The Running Back Situation

Speeed
12-02-2012, 10:20 PM
After tonight. What are everyone's thoughts?

LatrobePA
12-02-2012, 10:21 PM
The right guy started!! I do think red needs the bench and Mendy to spell Dwyer.

Clevelandsux
12-02-2012, 10:22 PM
mendenhall wasnt even dressed. i think this is a statement. he might be on his way out.

coldrolled
12-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Maybe Mendy isnt really 100%

LatrobePA
12-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Maybe Mendy isnt really 100%

True but I have a feeling it was Tomlin sending a message, which I liked!

BLACKandGOLD
12-02-2012, 10:34 PM
I think mendy is healthy, he just doesn't produce when he's out there. Tomlin was just sending a message that it won't be tolerated

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk app

SteelerCountry58
12-02-2012, 10:46 PM
Keep feeding it to Dwyer. RB's need to get in groove. He'll get more confident
and powerful the more he knows he's the main man.

Real Deal Steel
12-02-2012, 10:46 PM
If Mendy would learn to hit the hole and stop dancing and spinning, maybe he would have been on the field. Oh..and stop fumbling.

scott0326
12-03-2012, 01:34 AM
I think Dwyer definitely deserves to start, but I think Mendenhall should at least be active, he is not as bad as he has played recently.

greg1964
12-03-2012, 08:03 AM
Dwyer until he show he dosen't deserve the ball: Redmen in short yardage. Mendenhall on the bench. The Fumbling thing with Menendhall isn't a new thing, His second year it was a issue, and how can forget the Superbowl a few years ago.

Out of the main three: mendenhall is the most complete back, (speed, power, hands) but what good is it if he can't hold on to the ball.

coldrolled
12-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Dwyer usually has his big runs cutting back around the ends. Like last night 27 Rice and 27 Dwyer had the same TD run.

He should do that more ... and he has good hands too.

Stairwayto7
12-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Keep running Dwyer he`ll even be better once Ben is back!

wyn50
12-04-2012, 03:53 AM
Yep, Dwyer is the best back for this system. More of a hard runner. Mendy moves like he is auditioning for dancing with the stars. He also has to learn how to hold the football when he runs. The ball exposed a lot of the times. You figure by now he would learn something fundamental as that but then again might be a habit that is hard to break.

Ironman92
12-04-2012, 05:37 AM
Dwyer 70%
Redmen 20%
Rainey 10%

steelchamp204
12-04-2012, 06:57 AM
I think the end is near for Mendenhall, I think a lot of people know that. Tomlin was making a huge statement.

chisteeler
12-04-2012, 08:02 AM
Keep running Dwyer he`ll even be better once Ben is back!

He'll just have to learn how to dry hump Ben on the ground like Mendy did when they sealed the victory to go to the Super Bowl.

SnakeEyes43
12-04-2012, 08:50 AM
PLEASE keep Dwyer the starter. I don't mind Mendy/Redman getting reps, put Dwyer needs to get the majority of touches.

LatrobePA
12-04-2012, 08:51 AM
Dwyer 70%
Redmen 20%
Rainey 10%

Good post!

SnakeEyes43
12-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Dwyer 70%
Redmen 20%
Rainey 10%

Actually yes, I do like this better. I forgot about Rainey being rotated too. Him still really does compliment Dwyers and Redmans nicely. I wish we used him more, especially late in the game when the defense is a little more run down.

K Train
12-04-2012, 02:35 PM
i get what they did with mendenhall, but i think he should probably be dressing and playing. they know hes still the most talented back on the roster. he spent his week in the dog house i think he should definitely get in the neighborhood of at least 10 carries against the chargers

steelersbabex25
12-04-2012, 02:37 PM
i get what they did with mendenhall, but i think he should probably be dressing and playing. they know hes still the most talented back on the roster. he spent his week in the dog house i think he should definitely get in the neighborhood of at least 10 carries against the chargers

I wouldn't be so sure. He'll probably dress and get a few carries but I guarantee if he doesn't prove he can produce he won't be getting that much PT. Usually Tomlin is a little bitch when it comes to sitting players, especially vets, but he's taking a stand on this one.

Real Deal Steel
12-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Per rotoworld.com

Dwyer has been named the starter again for this week against the Chargers. Why talk about Mendy anymore? The handwritting is on the wall. He can go and do his spinning top/fumble thing somewhere else. I look forward to the draft pick compensation we'll get for him in the following year.

steelersbabex25
12-04-2012, 02:51 PM
One thing that Dwyer does that I think puts him above and beyond Mendenhall is that he never goes down after the first contact. He's almost never tackled in the backfield and when he is it's the offensive line's fault. And then he hits the pile in the middle of the field he can bounce off and run it to the outside which we've seen him do quite a few times whereas Mendy just cowers and goes down for a gain of a yard. It's refreshing to see a running back be able to push the pile for those extra few yards after years of Parker and Mendenhall.

LatrobePA
12-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Mendy won't dress this week again, he doesn't play on ST's....

Black@Gold Forever32
12-04-2012, 03:22 PM

Nobody can argue Mendenhall's talent........But I think he is done as a Steeler for the most part.......I think Rashard needs a change really........Its a shame really I had such high hopes for Rashard Mendenhall as a Steeler.......I remember being so excited when he fell to the Steelers in the first round and then when Sweed was drafted in the 2nd....lol Just a shame and I'm going to get angry if I think about it anymore....lol

Ironman92
12-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Word is Mendenhall was furious and went into the locker room and completely cleaned out his locker but it's two days later and he can't get out of there cause he keeps dropping all of his stuff.

Real Deal Steel
12-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Mendenhall's negatives outweigh his positives. That's why he will be allowed to leave. If I had to venture a guess, the teams after him will be the Cardinals, Falcons, Jets, Broncos and Jaguars. So he'll find work. Good luck to him.

tburg68
12-04-2012, 05:11 PM
I still believe that Mendy is by far the most talented RB on the roster. He had a bad game against the Browns, I get it. Every RB fumbled that day, don't forget.

That being said, his days do appear to be numbered as a Steeler.

Goodfrom55
12-04-2012, 05:17 PM
I still believe that Mendy is by far the most talented RB on the roster. He had a bad game against the Browns, I get it. Every RB fumbled that day, don't forget.

That being said, his days do appear to be numbered as a Steeler.

All things considered, I would be shocked if he is here next year. Talented, but not a time of posession RB.

Real Deal Steel
12-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Nope. Mendy is not the most talented. He doesn't hit the hole, he does that spin moves for no reason which causes him to fumble. The only thing that Mendy does better then Dwyer is run striaght ahead faster. Dwyer does everything else better.

Just because your faster, doesn't make you a better runningback.

Emmit Smith isn't as fast as Ryan Matthews (Chargers) but Smith does everything else better.

SnakeEyes43
12-04-2012, 05:20 PM
I remember being so excited when he fell to the Steelers in the first round and then when Sweed was drafted in the 2nd....lol Just a shame and I'm going to get angry if I think about it anymore....lol

Same here. I was pumped for Mendy when we got him, super high hopes judging by his college years.
Also, I was def a Sweed defender for the longest time...was sad when he let me down every time.

K Train
12-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Nope. Mendy is not the most talented. He doesn't hit the hole, he does that spin moves for no reason which causes him to fumble. The only thing that Mendy does better then Dwyer is run striaght ahead faster. Dwyer does everything else better.

Emmit Smith isn't as fast as Ryan Matthews (Chargers) but Smith does everything else better.
get the **** out of here, he doesnt hit the hole...give me a break, he has done a lot for the steelers and that included much more than fumbling and getting stopped for a loss. i get that you want to move on, i dont care either way in regards to next year but try not having such a short memory...hes gained a lot of yards running behind some ****** blocking and scored a lot of points. i get its what have you done for me lately but you cant just dismiss his talent, its not like hes anywhere near a bust.. he out did willie parkers career already imo, and willie had a great oline most of his time. dwyer may be the best bet right now, but mendenhall should be dressing and he is better than redman by about x100. ive been a long time dwyer supporter and glad hes finally showing what hes got, but theres no reason to keep mendenhall on the shelf if he can help the team win, hes not just a talentless fool.

he looked great against the eagles, and he looked horrible against the browns, dont act like hes the first guy to have a bad game especially when they had 4 RBs fumble against the browns

tburg68
12-04-2012, 05:59 PM

You hate Mendenhall and love Dwyer, I get it. I like Dwyer also, BUT when Dwyer does this, we can talk. Until then, tell your story walking:

2009 1108yds
2010 1273yds
2011 928yds in 15 games

Goodfrom55
12-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Throw away the Browns game altogether. They knew Batch was going to be rusty as an old gate and consistently loaded up the box with 8 or 9 defenders to stop the run. Earl Campbell would not have been able to run against a stacked box like that.

Mendy is a good RB, definitely not the hot hand right now, but the best talent on this team. He will be more of a threat in the playoffs if given the chance to play and if the Steelers make it.

Ironman92
12-04-2012, 06:26 PM
I liked Mike Wallace a lot....then AB came along.

BLACKandGOLD
12-04-2012, 06:34 PM
I liked Mendenhall on the bench. Dwyer showed why he deserves the bulk of the carries

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk app

Real Deal Steel
12-05-2012, 01:43 AM
You hate Mendenhall and love Dwyer, I get it. I like Dwyer also, BUT when Dwyer does this, we can talk. Until then, tell your story walking:

2009 1108yds
2010 1273yds
2011 928yds in 15 games

When Dwyer has his opportunity, he will put up those numbers. But when he does, I bet he won't fumble nearly as much as Mendy.

And I don't hate Mendy. He's just not a good enough RB overall. And I don't necessarily love Dwyer. But Dwyer has been the best RB on this team since he was drafted. I stand by that and now it's been proven once he and Mendy BOTH had the same opportunity.

Those number you show mean nothing because Dwyer didn't have the same opportunities. Now he will. And then we'll see how Dwyer's numbers are next year after a full season.

Real Deal Steel
12-05-2012, 01:48 AM
get the **** out of here, he doesnt hit the hole...give me a break, he has done a lot for the steelers and that included much more than fumbling and getting stopped for a loss. i get that you want to move on, i dont care either way in regards to next year but try not having such a short memory...hes gained a lot of yards running behind some ****** blocking and scored a lot of points. i get its what have you done for me lately but you cant just dismiss his talent, its not like hes anywhere near a bust.. he out did willie parkers career already imo, and willie had a great oline most of his time. dwyer may be the best bet right now, but mendenhall should be dressing and he is better than redman by about x100. ive been a long time dwyer supporter and glad hes finally showing what hes got, but theres no reason to keep mendenhall on the shelf if he can help the team win, hes not just a talentless fool.

he looked great against the eagles, and he looked horrible against the browns, dont act like hes the first guy to have a bad game especially when they had 4 RBs fumble against the browns

K-train,

Mendy played himself out of Pittsburgh. He was given the starting spot, fumbled, got another chance later..and fumbled again. But we were lucky to recover. You can't admit it but fumbles do count for runningbacks and Mendy is a career fumbler at some of the worse times.

I don't care about your arguments K-Train. You were wrong about Wallace (he's about to be out of here) and your wrong about Mendy (who's also about to be out of here).

All these guys your backing up are long on talent, but not on actual production on the field this year. And....the Front offices decsions about them always end up matching my stance on them too. Are you not tired of losing to me and the front office in arguments?? Your wrong. And if you don't believe me, go look at Mendy on the bench and go ask the front office why Wallace is now a co-starter at his position? Sometimes you just have to submit K-Train. You've lost both your Wallace and Mendy arguments. Again..if you don't believe me, go ask the front office.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-05-2012, 03:12 AM
Wallace hasn't done himself any favors lately but he still has been productive this year.......52 catches, 616 yards, 6 TDs isn't terrible.......The drops are a problem no doubt and his effort has been **** poor at times but that is what happens when you have a productive player who has out played his current contract......As for the Steelers front office they're not always right since they're human beings and every human being makes mistakes.......The Steelers front office mishandled the Mike Wallace situation......I wanted Wallace, resigned but if the Steelers, didn't want to pay him the money then they should have moved him during the draft or sometime this past off-season.......

As for Rashard yea his fumbles have forced him to the bench and he won't be back next year......Really a change of scenery will be in the best interest for both parties at this point.........

Jonathan Dwyer needs to string productive seasons together to match Mendenhalls past production........Dwyer has been the Steelers most consistent RB this year but lets see what he does next year........Will Dwyer actually come into camp in shape next year?.........I hope so since he will be looked upon to carry the load at RB next year.......

K Train
12-05-2012, 09:31 AM
K-train,

Mendy played himself out of Pittsburgh. He was given the starting spot, fumbled, got another chance later..and fumbled again. But we were lucky to recover. You can't admit it but fumbles do count for runningbacks and Mendy is a career fumbler at some of the worse times.

I don't care about your arguments K-Train. You were wrong about Wallace (he's about to be out of here) and your wrong about Mendy (who's also about to be out of here).

All these guys your backing up are long on talent, but not on actual production on the field this year. And....the Front offices decsions about them always end up matching my stance on them too. Are you not tired of losing to me and the front office in arguments?? Your wrong. And if you don't believe me, go look at Mendy on the bench and go ask the front office why Wallace is now a co-starter at his position? Sometimes you just have to submit K-Train. You've lost both your Wallace and Mendy arguments. Again..if you don't believe me, go ask the front office.
yeah, right. So two snaps played mendenhall out of a job? In that case theres a ton of people on the team that shouldnt have jobs....i dont get how mendenhall gets all the blame for fumbling at the worse times again during the cleveland game when all of the top 3 were benched for rainey and then rainey even fumbled.

mike wallace has had a few drops, but hes also had a few **** passes thrown his way but of course he takes blame for them. And hes on pace to get as many catches and TDs as usual, hes YPC isnt as high under haley but he and miller seem to be the only players that can score TDs. No, hes not putting up huge numbers, no he doesnt deserve a $100 million contract, but i was also in favor of trading him when his value was at the highest because letting him walk for nothing in return is just plain dumb.

Im not losing anything, i like mike wallace despite some drops...he puts points on the board and he does actually make some great plays but never gets recognized for them, oh and ive liked dwyer a hell of a lot longer than you have....go ahead and check the threads. He just spent too much time in tomlins dog house for me to have much faith in them giving him a chance. My problem with mendenhall is if he can play he should play, even if he doesnt come back next year.

An interesting stat is dwyer and antonio brown both have exactly as many TDs this year as Mendenhall.....ONE

Ive always loved antonio brown, and he deserved the extension he got but come on, 1 TD this year and 3 career TDs...he leaves mch to be desired as far as scoring and he has some dropsies too so dont talk to be about players being long on talent and not producing on the field when overall were not seeing very much production

Real Deal Steel
12-05-2012, 09:58 AM
K-Train

You don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to your arguments about Mendy and Wallace. You've lost. Just submit dude. It's okay.

K Train
12-05-2012, 10:03 AM
K-Train

You don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to your arguments about Mendy and Wallace. You've lost. Just submit dude. It's okay.
Mendenhall maybe, i was hopeful hed return from injury and really boost the offense and that didnt happen, but if you dont think wallace is an important part of the team moving forward at LEAST this season you are nuts. Drops have plagued wallace, brown, and sanders but all of them are very talented and if the steelers are going to make a run they need production from all of them. Bens first game back should be a good indicator if theres going to be any kind of playoff run, the offense needs to pick up some steam and i think the chargers are a prime team for them to chew up

for as much as i want mendenhall to be on the team, i have a love thing for dwyer and rainey.

still cant ****ing stand redman

SnakeEyes43
12-05-2012, 10:42 AM

So what do you do when he gets a tough first on a third and short? Do you yell and cuss at your TV? Haha. Kidding btw...

tburg68
12-05-2012, 06:46 PM
When Dwyer has his opportunity, he will put up those numbers. But when he does, I bet he won't fumble nearly as much as Mendy.

And I don't hate Mendy. He's just not a good enough RB overall. And I don't necessarily love Dwyer. But Dwyer has been the best RB on this team since he was drafted. I stand by that and now it's been proven once he and Mendy BOTH had the same opportunity.

Those number you show mean nothing because Dwyer didn't have the same opportunities. Now he will. And then we'll see how Dwyer's numbers are next year after a full season.

Mendy has avg a fumble every 112 carries in his career. Dwyer every 69 carries. Keep throwing crap against the wall, maybe some of it will stick.

Real Deal Steel
12-05-2012, 07:58 PM
What's sticking is management has determined who's the best rb. I can't help it that I was right when I said two years ago that when the smoke clears, Dwyer would prove to be the superior rb. I can't help it that management has sided with me. Take it up with the front office. While Mendy is out their shopping, you can hold his hand and keep telling him he's better. :rolleyes:

tburg68
12-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Continue with the stupid FO argument. Fools gold.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Brown only 3 career receiving TDs?.....for some reason I thought it was 5 that is even worse for a so called number 1 WR.....I like Brown to but 3 TDs....lol Wallace despite all his faults still has 30 receiving TDs......Its going to be a shame to lose him and I'm going to laugh when the passing game misses him big time next year.......

Black@Gold Forever32
12-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Mendenhall maybe, i was hopeful hed return from injury and really boost the offense and that didnt happen, but if you dont think wallace is an important part of the team moving forward at LEAST this season you are nuts. Drops have plagued wallace, brown, and sanders but all of them are very talented and if the steelers are going to make a run they need production from all of them. Bens first game back should be a good indicator if theres going to be any kind of playoff run, the offense needs to pick up some steam and i think the chargers are a prime team for them to chew up

for as much as i want mendenhall to be on the team, i have a love thing for dwyer and rainey.

I actually can relate to why you hate Redman......I mean these arguments on this site started to make me not like AB as much when Wallace was the antichrist on here....lol I even get upset at Wallace but I still know what he brings to the table for this offense and the Steelers better draft a WR early if they do indeed let him walk next year....You were right Train about trading him.....I wanted him resigned but after I saw how the Steelers front office mishandled the Wallace situation the best move would have been to trade him......

Clevelandsux
12-06-2012, 11:56 PM
I don't know what's going on with mendenhall. Yes he was injured, yes he fumbled twice vs the Browns. But he wasn't even dressed last week. I think there is more going on than we know. He's in Tomlins doghouse.

ChucktownSteeler
12-07-2012, 09:17 AM
You can't just judge a WR's value by TD production alone. Yes, it's an important part, but so is third down receptions (moving the chains which keeps the drives alive, which keep the other teams offense on the sidelines). AB makes the touch catch game after game, which do the aforementioned and also allow for TD's albeit from other Steeler players.

The debate is over, AB is a very good WR.

C-town

Real Deal Steel
12-07-2012, 11:15 AM
The debate was over when the FO told you with their money who's the better WR. They gave AB the money. Because he's the most complete WR. Dwyer will be given some money. Because he's the more complete RB.

Some people don't want to accept that but the Front Office and coaches look at the film and they analyze this before they decide to pay.

tburg68
12-08-2012, 12:57 PM
No matter how many times you say it, it's still a stupid argument.

steelchamp204
12-08-2012, 01:10 PM
Why the **** does every thread seem like it is about Wallace? It is a totally different topic, then all of a sudden, Wallace comes up. Stay on topic, dont use the contract situation as an excuse also.

Real Deal Steel
12-08-2012, 02:45 PM
No matter how many times you say it, it's still a stupid argument.

Case in point: Adrian Peterson

If you switch Adrian Peterson with Mendy, would the front office be willing to let Peterson go? No. Because Peterson would clearly be the best RB on the ball club over Dwyer. Clearly.

But because Mendy isn't clearly better then Dwyer (and he isn't) they are willing to let Mendy go. It's stupid to think that if you switched out Peterson for Mendy, they would let Peterson walk. Did the Vikings let Peterson walk when Peterson had fumbling issues???? No...because he was THAT MUCH of a talent.

They are letting Mendy go because Mendy ISN'T AS TALENTED AS YOU THINK!

That's what you Mendy lovers fail to see. Overall, he's not that good. That's why he's on the bench in this crucial stretch run for us.

I'm going to leave it alone in this thread going forward. But actions speak loader then words and always has. The Front Office is telling you their opinions by their actions. They've benched Mendy...what does that tell you? They made Dwyer the starter..what does that tell you?

I'm not saying that Dwyer is the end all to be all RB. But he's the best we have on the roster right now in overall RB skills. Key world being...OVERALL!

tburg68
12-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Your argument really becomes crap when you use it in reference to Wallace.