PDA

View Full Version : Everyone going on about not having a decent back-up LISTEN TO THIS!!!

Rhys Lightning 63
11-30-2012, 06:34 AM
If Colin Kaepernick keeps his starting position in San Francisco until the end of the season, Alex Smith is out of a job there. We've been found out in the past two games because we don't have a decent QB. Do you think Alex Smith would be an option?

Ben is playing on borrowed time, because he plays the way he does, so any more injuries he may/will get in the future, we can get Smith to fill his place behind center.

Discuss

connecticutsteel
11-30-2012, 08:19 AM
HE LOST HIS JOB TO KAEPERNICK!!!!

Farrior Fan
11-30-2012, 08:21 AM
This topic has been driving me crazy since the injury to Ben. What team has a great backup? It's not like we can have Steve Young just walk into Ben's place and take over. If a guy is top notch he is already a starter somewhere.

Raleigh Steel
11-30-2012, 08:40 AM
Alex smith will find a starting position next year. Many teams need qb's and the draft class is shallow.

TarlsQtr
11-30-2012, 10:13 AM
If he is good enough to start in this league, he will not come to Pittsburgh to be a backup. If he is not good enough to start in this league, he is just a backup with the same flaws the other backups around the league have.

He will go somewhere else to start.

elephantman
11-30-2012, 10:22 AM
If Colin Kaepernick keeps his starting position in San Francisco until the end of the season, Alex Smith is out of a job there. We've been found out in the past two games because we don't have a decent QB. Do you think Alex Smith would be an option?

Ben is playing on borrowed time, because he plays the way he does, so any more injuries he may/will get in the future, we can get Smith to fill his place behind center.

Discuss

alex smith is still a top 32 QB in the league though cant think off top of my head who he's better than

coldrolled
11-30-2012, 10:59 AM
alex smith is still a top 32 QB in the league though cant think off top of my head who he's better than

We needed to draft osweiler, mallet, kaepernick, foles sometime in the last two drafts... Were always in love with these old veterans... Hightower and Chandler Jones are glad they are Pats and not Steelers, they would be on special teams here...
Because were so good.. this bull crap has to end around here... Look at our RB's Dwyer is to young???? He cant possibly start????

SteelCityKid5
11-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Alex Smith doesnt want to be a backup to anyone. He wants $ and to be a starter. This topic is worthless.

scudmissile29
11-30-2012, 11:42 AM
Alex Smith doesnt want to be a backup to anyone. He wants $ and to be a starter. This topic is worthless.

this.

NYCsteelersfan
11-30-2012, 01:28 PM
He already complained the media about not being the starter. I'm sure he would love to come to the Steelers to be a backup.

Real Deal Steel
11-30-2012, 01:44 PM

The topic is not worthless. Did you see that no team in the league wanted to see Smith when he was a free agent last off-season? That means that he would not start for any other team in the league. He had to beg Miami to see him for their possible starting position. Alex Smith will be a back-up QB next year. So he might as well be ours. He be a definite upgrade to what we have now.

NYCsteelersfan
11-30-2012, 02:04 PM
The topic is not worthless. Did you see that no team in the league wanted to see Smith when he was a free agent last off-season? That means that he would not start for any other team in the league. He had to beg Miami to see him for their possible starting position. Alex Smith will be a back-up QB next year. So he might as well be ours. He be a definite upgrade to what we have now.

He'll find a starting job. He might lose it after a few games, but he'll definitely find a starting job. He's better than Mark Sanchez, and he's better than what Minnesota and Arizona have. Jacksonville is another option for him.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-30-2012, 02:16 PM
He'll find a starting job. He might lose it after a few games, but he'll definitely find a starting job. He's better than Mark Sanchez, and he's better than what Minnesota and Arizona have. Jacksonville is another option for him.

The Vikings are not going to **** can Christian Ponder......I still think taking Ponder in the first wound was stupid but the Vikes will continue to think they have the next Joe Montana in Ponder....lol Arizona no doubt will go after a QB like Smith....Noway Whiz, can go into next season with those clowns he has at QB again......

Real Deal Steel
11-30-2012, 02:25 PM

I don't think so. In Jacksonville, Henne has shown more then Smith. In Minnesota, they already have a Alex Smith in Ponder. In New York, Smith's name isn't big enough for the Jets. Jets have to have a "name" to suffice their fan base. He's not going to get a job before Michael Vick.

TarlsQtr
11-30-2012, 02:55 PM
No way the Steelers pay $8 million per year for a backup and give up something in a trade. If he is cut and becomes a FA, HE still thinks he can start (which is all that matters) and no way would he sign for more than a year to backup. A one year backup is near useless. They get so few snaps outside of training camp that it would take most of the year just to become comfortable in the offense and then he would be gone.

TarlsQtr
11-30-2012, 02:59 PM
The Vikings are not going to **** can Christian Ponder......I still think taking Ponder in the first wound was stupid but the Vikes will continue to think they have the next Joe Montana in Ponder....lol Arizona no doubt will go after a QB like Smith....Noway Whiz, can go into next season with those clowns he has at QB again......

Whiz shouldn't spend ANY money on a QB in AZ until that O-Line becomes more than just 5 fat guys from an Olivia Newton John video. :-)

I see Smith as a lot like Neil O'Donnell. I believe he should and will start somewhere next year and is a capable QB with a good team around him but just not quite good enough to get you there.

Real Deal Steel
11-30-2012, 04:33 PM
those teams are not looking for a "capable" QB. Sanchez is "capable" with good players around him but the Jets have let the O-line deteriorate, The WR corps deterioriate and Shonne Greene is a bum. Jets already have a "capable" QB.

Alex Smith is going to learn the hard reality of the NFL in the off-season. He's not good enough to be a starter. Just a back-up. He's been with the team that drafted him and the 49ers for a long time didn't want to admit he wasn't starter caliber and now that they have a real option in Kaepernick, they will let Smith walk and then he can learn his true value in this league. That he's just a backup at best.

TarlsQtr
11-30-2012, 05:17 PM
But even IF you are right, Smith thinks he is a starter. This is all that matters. The most he would sign is a one year contract, useless to us because he would be spending that year just learning the offense.

Either way, there is no reason to expect or want him in the Burgh.

SteelCityKid5
11-30-2012, 06:41 PM

Sorry, I didn't realize I'd have to explain it again. Alex Smith won't go to go to a team to just be a back up. That's sort of the reason he'll be leaving SF. He wants $. He won't be coming to Pittsburgh.

LevonKirkland99
11-30-2012, 07:26 PM
We re stuck with TWO worthless backups....enjoy the Batch show! Heck lets just make it 0-4 against the Rats, why not

Omicron
11-30-2012, 09:58 PM
My guess is Alex Smith goes to the Chiefs

LarryNJ
11-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Alex Smith isn't good enough to be a starter? How some of you figure that is beyond me. All he does is win. What's his record the last 2 years? What's his completion percentage? His td to int ratio? How did he play in the playoffs? And he's the worst starter in the league? :scratch:

Nolrog
12-01-2012, 07:41 AM

He's better than Sanchez, Tannehill, Vick, Hasslebeck, Carson Palmer, Flacco, just to name a few.

scudmissile29
12-01-2012, 08:07 AM

The Vikings are not going to **** can Christian Ponder......I still think taking Ponder in the first round was stupid but the Vikes will continue to think they have the next Joe Montana in Ponder....lol Arizona no doubt will go after a QB like Smith....Noway Whiz, can go into next season with those clowns he has at QB again......

The Vikings aren't doing that bad 6-5 (like the Steelers, but Pitt won't be going to the playoffs) and He's doing alright so far, so I don't know why you said that.

jnes1216
12-01-2012, 03:50 PM
If they venture out of their comfort zone, the FO should sign a free agent offensive lineman. We can draft some backup QB help next year. With the quick passing scheme Haley seems to employ, Ben should be good for a couple more years at the least. Give him some protection first and foremost.

SteelCityKid5
12-01-2012, 04:55 PM
4th-5th round draft a QB...that is all

Clevelandsux
12-01-2012, 05:31 PM
not gonna help us right now.

Real Deal Steel
12-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Sorry, I didn't realize I'd have to explain it again. Alex Smith won't go to go to a team to just be a back up. That's sort of the reason he'll be leaving SF. He wants $. He won't be coming to Pittsburgh.

I didn't make myself clear. My bad. It doesn't matter how Smith views himself. Because the vast majority of the teams in the league do not see Smith as a viable starting QB. He's a caretaker Qb and teams already have a guy like that. Smith only looks as good as he does because he's playing on a team that is stocked all around him. When he leaves San Fran, he will be going to teams that have clear holes in seveal areas. Smith really isn't good at all; he is being protected by a running game and a defense so he doesn't have to do too much. Any place else he goes, he gets even more exposed and then he looks like the real crappy QB he really is.

There is a reason no team wanted to see him in the off-season. He's an absolute fraud.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-01-2012, 08:21 PM
The Vikings aren't doing that bad 6-5 (like the Steelers, but Pitt won't be going to the playoffs) and He's doing alright so far, so I don't know why you said that.

Have you actually watched Christian Ponder play?....He is a bum.....The Vikings reached for him big time when they drafted him in the top 15........But the Vikings will stick with Ponder no doubt in my mind since they spent such a high pick on him......So I don't know why you're asking why I said that?....lol So what the Vikings are 6-5....What does that exactly prove about Christian Ponder?......He also has the best RB in the game to take a ton of heat of him and he still makes some terrible decisions/throws.....

SteelCityKid5
12-01-2012, 08:40 PM
I didn't make myself clear. My bad. It doesn't matter how Smith views himself. Because the vast majority of the teams in the league do not see Smith as a viable starting QB. He's a caretaker Qb and teams already have a guy like that. Smith only looks as good as he does because he's playing on a team that is stocked all around him. When he leaves San Fran, he will be going to teams that have clear holes in seveal areas. Smith really isn't good at all; he is being protected by a running game and a defense so he doesn't have to do too much. Any place else he goes, he gets even more exposed and then he looks like the real crappy QB he really is.

There is a reason no team wanted to see him in the off-season. He's an absolute fraud.

Even though hes leaving SF to compete or be a starter.. after the reasons you just gave why they hell would we want him ..good one.. you made my point.. thanks

LarryNJ
12-01-2012, 10:21 PM
he is being protected by a running game and a defense so he doesn't have to do too much.......He's an absolute fraud

Thanks to the SF defense. This year and last year combined Smith has 30 TD's 10 Ints, a completion percentage in the high 60's and rating around 100.

scudmissile29
12-02-2012, 07:27 AM
Have you actually watched Christian Ponder play?....He is a bum.....The Vikings reached for him big time when they drafted him in the top 15........But the Vikings will stick with Ponder no doubt in my mind since they spent such a high pick on him......So I don't know why you're asking why I said that?....lol So what the Vikings are 6-5....What does that exactly prove about Christian Ponder?......He also has the best RB in the game to take a ton of heat of him and he still makes some terrible decisions/throws.....

didn't realise he had to be joe montana in his second season.

Stone
12-02-2012, 10:42 AM

I think Smith is way better than the average perception. The guy has NEVER had a consistent offensive strategy to work with and when given the chance, prior to injury, he played very well.

I can think of 10-12 starting QB's who i'd sit down in place of him.

Sanchez
Tannehill
Vick
Hasslebeck
Palmer
Ponder
Gabbert
Weeden
Locker
Kolb
Skelton
Flynn