PDA

View Full Version : Dwyer to start Sunday vs Ravens

SnakeEyes43
11-27-2012, 01:57 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8682743/jonathan-dwyer-pittsburgh-steelers-start-rb-mike-tomlinDwyer t

Steelers to start RB Jonathan Dwyer

Jonathan Dwyer will start at running back Sunday when the Pittsburgh Steelers face the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday, coach Mike Tomlin announced Tuesday.

Tomlin cited Dwyer's consistency as the reason he officially has been named the starter. The coach said he's also the Steelers' healthiest running back at the position.

"He's been consistently the most productive guy. I think we have a large enough body of work to be able to identify that at this point," Tomlin said. "Obviously, we've been working at less than ideal circumstances with the rotation and the shuffling of those guys due to health and lack of production. But over the course of the last several weeks, it's obvious that he is healthy and he is the most productive of the group."

Tomlin also said Tuesday that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who has missed the last two games with shoulder and rib injuries, also threw the ball Monday and team will "leave door open" for him to play.

The Steelers have dropped both games Roethlisberger has missed, including a 13-10 loss to the Ravens in Pittsburgh two weeks ago. Byron Leftwich started the last game vs. Baltimore but missed last Sunday's loss with a rib injury. Charlie Batch started against the Browns and threw three costly interceptions.

At 6-5, the Steelers trail the first-place Ravens (9-2) by three games.

Longtime starter Rashard Mendenhall fumbled twice against the Browns, losing the ball once. Dwyer and fellow running backs Chris Rainey and Isaac Redman also lost fumbles. In all, the Steelers turned the ball over eight times.

Tomlin on Tuesday said that turnovers were "unacceptable."

Dwyer leads the Steelers in rushing with 429 yards in eight games. The Steelers have used a rotation at the position this season in large part to the health of Mendenhall, who had offseason surgery on his ACL and injured his Achilles after he returned.

Goodfrom55
11-27-2012, 02:01 PM
You can be sure if the Browns were able to cause 5 fumbles, the Ravens will be out for blood. Pehaps they needs to bring Bettis into practice as a consultant so he can show everyone how to hold onto the ball.

Good for Dwyer, hope he runs hard and blocks harder.

chisteeler
11-27-2012, 02:05 PM
You can be sure if the Browns were able to cause 5 fumbles, the Ravens will be out for blood. Pehaps they needs to bring Bettis into practice as a consultant so he can show everyone how to hold onto the ball.

Just make sure they burn the film of the game against the Colts in the 2005 playoff game...lol

ChucktownSteeler
11-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Let's go, #27!

Raleigh Steel
11-27-2012, 02:28 PM
That's what I'm talking about!!!!!!!

LatrobePA
11-27-2012, 02:50 PM
LOL Mendy and Wallace both demoted! Good for Tomlin I like the moves!

Goodfrom55
11-27-2012, 02:52 PM
LOL Mendy and Wallace both demoted! Good for Tomlin I like the moves!

And also mentioned that Wallace is underperforming. . .this should be a pout-fest on Sunday from him.

LatrobePA
11-27-2012, 02:54 PM
And also mentioned that Wallace is underperforming. . .this should be a pout-fest on Sunday from him.

He called him out too? Wow I love it even more!

steelersbabex25
11-27-2012, 03:25 PM
Sorry Mendy..that's what happens when you fumble on half your carries.

K Train
11-27-2012, 03:35 PM

oh god yes lets bring in the retired RB with 41 career fumbles to yell at the 4 RBs for fumbling

i do hope that making wallace a "co starter" fires him up a bit because someone who never lacks intensity is sanders, dude is so jacked up all the time

Black@Gold Forever32
11-27-2012, 03:40 PM
I'm glad Tomlin did drop Mendenhall to 3rd string RB and is trying to send a message to Wallace.....A HC needs to do things like that.....I don't like how Tomlin called out Rainey in suggesting he faked his injury........He should have done that one on one with Rainey with no media.......I also don't think Rainey was faking an injury that looked nasty.......

Back to Mendenhall in my opinion a change for both will be in the best interest for the Steelers and Rashard......I still think Rashard has a ton of talent but I don't know at this point it will be realized in Pittsburgh....

As for Mike Wallace, I'm still a fan but I do question his effort the past few weeks......There is noway you can defend him these past two weeks....Will be sad to see him go but I don't think he will be resigned so the Steelers better draft a WR........

K Train
11-27-2012, 03:48 PM
i hope this tactic on wallace works, but if ben comes back im sure he'll be better. batch was ****ing horrible and the WRs, TEs, and backs all got missed wide open

Goodfrom55
11-27-2012, 03:58 PM
For God's sake, Bettis had 41 career fumbles in 3679 touches (rushing and receiving). As much as he ran between the tackles, fumbling only 1.11% of the time he touched the ball is pretty remarkable.

K Train
11-27-2012, 04:15 PM
it was more sarcastic, but still bringing in a former RB to yell at the current RBs for one bad game is ijust a weird thought process...mendnehall has 9 career fumbles, bettis had several seasons with 6-7.

coaches can do just fine at preaching ball security. one horrible game doesnt mean the runners have forgotten how to carry the ball or that the coaches have forgotten how to coach

duce staley is the eagles RB coach, some former players can coach...bettis decided to be a terrible announcer instead. kirby wilson is just fine

Big T
11-27-2012, 04:15 PM
i hope this tactic on wallace works, but if ben comes back im sure he'll be better. batch was ****ing horrible and the WRs, TEs, and backs all got missed wide open

Agreed. Wallace's play has looked uninspired the last couple games, but you can't blame him for last week. Batch was absolutely putrid. If Batch could throw, Wallace probably would've had a big day. Oh well.

Real Deal Steel
11-27-2012, 04:38 PM

This.