PDA

View Full Version : Could we not have just picked up a free agent QB while Ben is out?

Rhys Lightning 63
11-25-2012, 08:41 PM
I don't know 100% the rules regarding free agents, but couldn't we have just 'borrowed' one from the free agent list while Ben was out, then cut him as soon as Ben is ready to come back (or indeed keep him as backup if Ben should have any recurring issues)

This is the list of current free agent QB's
David Garrard
Donovan McNabb
Vince Young
Josh Johnson
Seneca Wallace
A.J. Feeley
Chris Redman
John Beck
Sage Rosenfels
Curtis Painter
Billy Volek
Kellen Clemens
Mike Kafka
Patrick Ramsey
Jim Sorgi
Troy Smith
J.P. Losman
Mark Brunell
Stephen McGee
Kevin O’Connell
Jeff Garcia
Brett Ratliff
Tom Brandstater
Rhett Bomar
Sean Canfield
Nathan Enderle

There must be one, that could have done a good enough job for today. I'm thinking Vince Young myself

ChucktownSteeler
11-25-2012, 08:49 PM
In all honesty that list is pretty much slim pickings. You just don't find decent QBs hanging out at the pool hall.

TarlsQtr
11-25-2012, 08:51 PM
In all honesty that list is pretty much slim pickings. You just don't find decent QBs hanging out at the pool hall.

Exactly, then add in the factor that you do not pick up an NFL offense in 3-4 practices.

coldrolled
11-25-2012, 08:52 PM
none of these guys are old veterans like Batch... Come'on man

LatrobePA
11-25-2012, 09:01 PM
Needed to keep the young guy. Having an old dusty non mobile QB on this roster is joke!

Black@Gold Forever32
11-25-2012, 09:04 PM
Please don't put J.P. Losman on any list....lol The Steelers did sign a FA QB on par with that list with Brian Hoyer......Bottom line the Steelers have to think hard about drafting a young QB to groom within the first four rounds in the upcoming draft......

TarlsQtr
11-25-2012, 09:28 PM
Please don't put J.P. Losman on any list....lol The Steelers did sign a FA QB on par with that list with Brian Hoyer......Bottom line the Steelers have to think hard about drafting a young QB to groom within the first four rounds in the upcoming draft......

Great. Let's spend a top 4 round draft pick on another team's QB of the future. Wouldn't it just be easier to give away the draft pick and not waste all the time training him so he can leave in four years as a FA when Ben is still on front of him?

Until Ben hits that "retire in the next 4 years" window, it is a waste of a pick.

TarlsQtr
11-25-2012, 09:29 PM
If only we had Kellon Clemens! LOL

Farrior Fan
11-25-2012, 10:07 PM
I would have loved to seen Clemons in Black and Gold today. What would he have done worse? Throw 4 picks?

TarlsQtr
11-25-2012, 10:14 PM
You would have "loved" to see Clemons? Why? The guy has 7 career passing TDs and twice as many INTs. The "other guy" is not necessarily better just because he is the "other guy."

Clevelandsux
11-25-2012, 10:30 PM
vince young? really? hes a headcase and commands a large salary. you see him play vs steelers in preseason?

Zachintosh66
11-25-2012, 10:37 PM
we did pick up a QB... hoyer... held the clip board great today, only fumbled it once

Black@Gold Forever32
11-25-2012, 11:19 PM
Great. Let's spend a top 4 round draft pick on another team's QB of the future. Wouldn't it just be easier to give away the draft pick and not waste all the time training him so he can leave in four years as a FA when Ben is still on front of him?

Until Ben hits that "retire in the next 4 years" window, it is a waste of a pick.

Waste of pick oh ok....lol Like it would have been a waste say if the Steelers had draft a QB in the 4th round of the 2010 draft instead of Thaddeus Gibson?.....Looks like Gibson was a waste of a pick anyway........The Steelers need to invest a draft pick in a backup QB....If the QB shows he is a player then the Steelers could always trade him before he becomes a FA.......I'm sorry I'm tired of seeing Batch and Lefty as the backups......The Steelers did try with Dennis Dixon but he didn't pan out but next year yea the Steelers should maybe draft a QB in round 3 or 4....If Wallace is lost in free agency the Steelers will get an extra draft pick for Wallace.....

LatrobePA
11-25-2012, 11:29 PM
Ryan Mallet was drafted in the 3rd round a few years back, we need a pick like that ASAP!

SteelerCountry58
11-25-2012, 11:37 PM
Yes, a QB SHOULD be drafted in the fourth round. That would be a good spot.
This coming draft doesn't have the great QB's but a shitload of decent ones.
No reason we couldn't pick one up to groom as the backup. This should have been
done before it has came down to the Lefty/Batch comedy show. Any sane Steeler
fan KNOWS this as fact!

TarlsQtr
11-26-2012, 01:30 AM
Waste of pick oh ok....lol Like it would have been a waste say if the Steelers had draft a QB in the 4th round of the 2010 draft instead of Thaddeus Gibson?.....Looks like Gibson was a waste of a pick anyway........The Steelers need to invest a draft pick in a backup QB....If the QB shows he is a player then the Steelers could always trade him before he becomes a FA.......I'm sorry I'm tired of seeing Batch and Lefty as the backups......The Steelers did try with Dennis Dixon but he didn't pan out but next year yea the Steelers should maybe draft a QB in round 3 or 4....If Wallace is lost in free agency the Steelers will get an extra draft pick for Wallace.....

Silly logic. As if a fourth round QB would have less chance of being a bust than Gibson.

You say "if the QB shows he is a player". How would he get the opportunity behind a franchise QB? You would be putting in a guy next week against the Ravens that has virtually no real NFL snaps and probably would not even have any significant practice snaps since Latrobe. That is a recipe for success?

Being a young backup QB behind a franchise QB is a career killer. Ask Brian Hoyer. He is now lucky to get a week 12 job with the Steelers. The reason is because he had no opportunity to develop. Nor do you get much in the way of draft picks for a backup who does not play. A team with a franchise QB is much better off with a veteran who can step right in and run the team at least until the franchise QB is getting close to retirement or if the team sucks. I suspect there is not a coach in the league that would want to play Kirk Cousins (a 4th round pick who has not played this year except when RGIII was concussed) over Lefty next week against the Ravens or in a playoff game.

chisteeler
11-26-2012, 01:40 AM
Ryan Mallet was drafted in the 3rd round a few years back, we need a pick like that ASAP!

I was so pissed that we didn't get him...

Black@Gold Forever32
11-26-2012, 01:54 AM
Not according to TarlsQtr its silly logic....lol Yea that vet experience is really paying off these past two weeks....lol Again I repeat the Steelers will get an extra pick for losing Mike Wallace in free agency....He won't resigned and I doubt the Steelers will franchise him now....Use that extra third round pick on a young QB........

Matt Flynn was traded to the Seahawks and he didn't receive much playing time behind Rodgers.......The Steelers backup probably will receive playing time since Ben will probably miss a game or two a season....which is his norm......

scott0326
11-26-2012, 06:20 AM
I doubt any of those guys could of done much worse than Batch

lancer89074
11-26-2012, 06:21 AM
we did pick up a QB... hoyer... held the clip board great today, only fumbled it once

Yes, holding the clipboard is an essential duty of a Pittsburgh Steeler quarterback. Makes you wonder why Batch and Leftwich were kept on the roster all of these years. The Niners have Kaepernick and we have those guys.

TarlsQtr
11-26-2012, 07:15 AM
Not according to TarlsQtr its silly logic....lol Yea that vet experience is really paying off these past two weeks....lol Again I repeat the Steelers will get an extra pick for losing Mike Wallace in free agency....He won't resigned and I doubt the Steelers will franchise him now....Use that extra third round pick on a young QB........

Matt Flynn was traded to the Seahawks and he didn't receive much playing time behind Rodgers.......The Steelers backup probably will receive playing time since Ben will probably miss a game or two a season....which is his norm......

The "silly logic" was implying that the drafting of Gibson means the pick would not be wasted, as if picking a backup QB would be more of a sure thing than a linebacker.

Also, Wallace will be an UFA this off-season with no draft pick compensation if he signs elsewhere.

And there is no such thing as an "extra pick" anyway. You have the picks you have. A second third round pick comes with the same opportunity cost as the original, as you are forgoing the next possible starting linebacker, safety, running back, etc. for a man that will hold a clipboard for 4 years before leaving to another team.

Finally, let's say you are correct and the Steelers backup will get a game or two a year. You are talking about a kid who only sees snaps in LaTrobe coming in and bailing out the team in weeks 11 and 12? LOL

Flynn was a 7th rounder, not a third or fourth as you would have us use. I would also point out that he beat out Brian Brohm for the Packers backup QB spot, a SECOND rounder. In other words, even using a pick that high can result in getting crap.

Flynn left as a free agent (no treasure trove of compensation for the Packers) and cannot even start for the Seahawks.

Now, let's play hypothetical.

Is there anyway you see a rookie backup QB winning a game where his team fumbled five times (not to mention all the holding penalties)? No way.

Batch did not do anything exemplary to win the game but he is not the reason we lost. The entire OFFENSE sucked and he is just a scapegoat.

Zachintosh66
11-26-2012, 07:18 AM
Yes, holding the clipboard is an essential duty of a Pittsburgh Steeler quarterback. Makes you wonder why Batch and Leftwich were kept on the roster all of these years. The Niners have Kaepernick and we have those guys.

this...

TarlsQtr
11-26-2012, 07:31 AM
I just posted this in another thread but it needs to be here too:

Let's put Batch's performance in perspective. Here are some of the down and distances he had to deal with in their drives:

3-15-PIT15
2-16-PIT8
3-19-PIT5
3-8-PIT24
3-10-CLE26
1-20-PIT11
2-16-PIT15
3-14-PIT17
3-19-PIT12
1-20-PIT19
2-26-PIT13
2-32-PIT7
3-32-PIT7
2-12-CLE30
2-19-PIT37

Charlie did not put himself in all of those 2nd or 3rd and forever situations and no third string QB in the league would have gotten the team out of them.

coldrolled
11-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Batch wound up completing 20-of-34 for 199 yards, with no touchdowns, three interceptions and a passer rating of 38.7

ChucktownSteeler
11-26-2012, 01:13 PM
I think we should also be looking at the waiver wire for a running back. God they were all awful yesterday.