PDA

View Full Version : Help Wanted: Serviceable Back-up QB

steelspikes
11-25-2012, 06:37 PM
The past 2 weeks have exposed a major chink in the
Steeler armor: lack of a competent back-up at the QB slot. What Leftwich and Batch were capable of doing a couple of years ago--winning an occasional game in the pinch--seems like a task which is now too much for them. Failing to develop a younger, more capable back-up for Ben has been a very costly failure on the part of the Steeler braintrust. Sadly, it may be fatal as far as this season goes.

RIVERS OF STEEL
11-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Have to wait til next year for that. Although, we just picked up Hoyer, it is (after today) to little to late.

TarlsQtr
11-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Unfair to judge Lefty on a game where he played with broken ribs and Batch in a game with 5 lost fumbles.

steelspikes
11-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Unfair to judge Lefty on a game where he played with broken ribs and Batch in a game with 5 lost fumbles.
You gotta good point, but do you really feel any level of confidence in either of these guys?

TarlsQtr
11-25-2012, 07:22 PM
Confidence is a strong word but have you seen the other teams' backups? Look who is backing up Brees, Rivers, Peyton, Flacco, etc. MUCH worse than ours.

LatrobePA
11-25-2012, 08:03 PM
We've waited too long to start grooming a young guy! With Ben's history we need to start ASAP!

BubbyBlister
11-25-2012, 08:14 PM
Unfair to judge Lefty on a game where he played with broken ribs and Batch in a game with 5 lost fumbles. Even so Batch had plenty other chances and just proved he has nothing left.

BubbyBlister
11-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Confidence is a strong word but have you seen the other teams' backups? Look who is backing up Brees, Rivers, Peyton, Flacco, etc. MUCH worse than ours. Well that's those teams dang fault and ours also for the crap we keep at qb. Also those qbs you mentioned seem to stay healthy every year and are not scraped off the ground each week. Ben does not! Yes I know Manning got hurt a few years back but how many years did he play without missing a game ?

RIVERS OF STEEL
11-25-2012, 08:33 PM
Confidence is a strong word but have you seen the other teams' backups? Look who is backing up Brees, Rivers, Peyton, Flacco, etc. MUCH worse than ours.

They are winning and we are losing.

Rhys Lightning 63
11-25-2012, 08:44 PM
Ladies and gentleman... HERE is your answer http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1219/dallas_g_young_800.jpg

ChucktownSteeler
11-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Lady's and gentleman... HERE is your answer http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1219/dallas_g_young_800.jpg

Hey, Regime is here!

TarlsQtr
11-25-2012, 09:01 PM
We've waited too long to start grooming a young guy! With Ben's history we need to start ASAP!

Groom a young guy for what? To leave after 4 years? Why bother until you believe that Ben is in that 4 year window where he will retire. You are developing a player for someone else. And even if Ben were to get hurt and you needed him, he would be someone who had not taken any full speed snaps and would not produce. A veteran is much more useful for teams with a franchise QB unless the franchise QB is close to retirement.

I would not waste anything but a very late round pick on a young QB.

TarlsQtr
11-25-2012, 09:04 PM
Even so Batch had plenty other chances and just proved he has nothing left.

Really? Has he started since 2010? He did a fine job against Tampa Bay when Ben was suspended, so I am unsure where these "plenty other chances" came from.

TarlsQtr
11-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Well that's those teams dang fault and ours also for the crap we keep at qb. Also those qbs you mentioned seem to stay healthy every year and are not scraped off the ground each week. Ben does not! Yes I know Manning got hurt a few years back but how many years did he play without missing a game ?

Is it possible that the problem is too few quality QBs for the amount of teams? Some do not even have a decent starter, so it seems kind of foolish to blame these teams, including the Steelers, for having less than Tom Brady as their backup. We are panicking because of poor QB play but let's put this in perspective. Ben sucked against the Chiefs until he was hurt. Lefty sucked but with broken ribs the entire game. Batch was actually not that bad (one INT was not his fault and he had to throw in a lot of situations we would prefer he did not because of 5 fumbles and holding penalties put us in bad spots).

It has been an overall sh!++y performance by the offense and we are unfairly putting it all on the backup QBs.

TarlsQtr
11-25-2012, 09:15 PM
They are winning and we are losing.

But would the Broncos be winning with Brock Osweiler, especially if the Broncos were fumbling away the ball 5 times?

Would the Saints be winning with Chase Daniels?

Would the Ravens be winning with Tyrod Taylor?

I suspect, no, no, and no.

BubbyBlister
11-25-2012, 09:54 PM
Really? Has he started since 2010? He did a fine job against Tampa Bay when Ben was suspended, so I am unsure where these "plenty other chances" came from. Yea when he was 57 but his almost 60 now. As for the chances like the stupid long ball throw to Wallace when there was no need for it. Besides he doesn't have the arm to get it there and he proved it with the int. Like Clint Eastwood said mans got to know his limitations and Charlie is now very limited.

BubbyBlister
11-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Is it possible that the problem is too few quality QBs for the amount of teams? Some do not even have a decent starter, so it seems kind of foolish to blame these teams, including the Steelers, for having less than Tom Brady as their backup. We are panicking because of poor QB play but let's put this in perspective. Ben sucked against the Chiefs until he was hurt. Lefty sucked but with broken ribs the entire game. Batch was actually not that bad (one INT was not his fault and he had to throw in a lot of situations we would prefer he did not because of 5 fumbles and holding penalties put us in bad spots).

It has been an overall sh!++y performance by the offense and we are unfairly putting it all on the backup QBs. Your missing the point Ben does not have the OL as qbs like Brady has and misses a few games each season. Same thing that end our season last year is threatening to do it again, Ben being injured. This team needs to find a solid back up for the future.

TarlsQtr
11-25-2012, 10:00 PM
Two years is not that long ago but point taken. I would also add that he is the third string QB for a reason

The problem, IMO, is that he was put in a position where the team HAD to rely on his arm. Without the 5 fumbles and 142 holding penalties, he could have managed the game, made throws he is comfortable with, and we would have been OK. Those factors were far larger in the loss than Charlie.

BubbyBlister
11-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Two years is not that long ago but point taken. I would also add that he is the third string QB for a reason

The problem, IMO, is that he was put in a position where the team HAD to rely on his arm. Without the 5 fumbles and 142 holding penalties, he could have managed the game, made throws he is comfortable with, and we would have been OK. Those factors were far larger in the loss than Charlie.
Get your point but like I said Charlie throw the int deep to Wallace and was no need for it and Pitt had good field position and plenty of time on the clock. Anyhow my point is we need a good back up if that comes through the draft or free agency does not matter but needs to happen. We can no longer expect Ben to go through a season without missing a few games.

TarlsQtr
11-25-2012, 10:07 PM
Your missing the point Ben does not have the OL as qbs like Brady has and misses a few games each season. Same thing that end our season last year is threatening to do it again, Ben being injured. This team needs to find a solid back up for the future.

Huh? You would rather have a young kid with no experience behind a line you say yourself is sh!++y? We would be in a WORSE position with a young kid against the Ravens next week than with say, Lefty. They would eat him up. You develop young QBs to be a future starter, which is not going to happen with Ben as #1. Stick with a veteran who can read defenses and get it out.

TarlsQtr
11-25-2012, 10:09 PM
Get your point but like I said Charlie throw the int deep to Wallace and was no need for it and Pitt had good field position and plenty of time on the clock. Anyhow my point is we need a good back up if that comes through the draft or free agency does not matter but needs to happen. We can no longer expect Ben to go through a season without missing a few games.

I agree and this is definitely Charlie's last season (or better be). I would only feel better with a Garrard, Hasselbeck, than wasting a young pick on another team's "QB of the future" when he left in four years.

BubbyBlister
11-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Huh? You would rather have a young kid with no experience behind a line you say yourself is sh!++y? We would be in a WORSE position with a young kid against the Ravens next week than with say, Lefty. They would eat him up. You develop young QBs to be a future starter, which is not going to happen with Ben as #1. Stick with a veteran who can read defenses and get it out. Last I checked some of these rookie qbs are doing pretty good this year. Yes I will take a chance on one of them then two has been qbs that lost there starting jobs on other teams for a reason and continue to age.

BubbyBlister
11-25-2012, 10:14 PM
I agree and this is definitely Charlie's last season (or better be). I would only feel better with a Garrard, Hasselbeck, than wasting a young pick on another team's "QB of the future" when he left in four years. Not a fan of Gerald at all Hassleback maybe. Anyhow great talking to ya and have a great night my fellow Steeler fan.

mcfly06
11-25-2012, 10:16 PM
I wouldn't waste a pick on a QB we just need a better backup a younger guy that knows he isnt the starter. But just go in free agency, or draft late.

TarlsQtr
11-25-2012, 10:18 PM
Last I checked some of these rookie qbs are doing pretty good this year. Yes I will take a chance on one of them then two has been qbs that lost there starting jobs on other teams for a reason and continue to age.

Yeah, but we are not going to get RGIII or an Andrew Luck in the draft. Nor would any QB we draft get the first team snaps all season long like they all get. They would be thrown to the wolves in a mid-season injury situation where they have not seen snaps in 3 months.

Not a fan of Gerald at all Hassleback maybe. Anyhow great talking to ya and have a great night my fellow Steeler fan.

Thanks and you too! :-)

Clevelandsux
11-25-2012, 10:21 PM
Need a younger back up. Charlie is too old and byron is too fragile. Shouldn't have let jerrod johnson go.

BubbyBlister
11-25-2012, 10:25 PM
Yeah, but we are not going to get RGIII or an Andrew Luck in the draft. Nor would any QB we draft get the first team snaps all season long like they all get. They would be thrown to the wolves in a mid-season injury situation where they have not seen snaps in 3 months.

Thanks and you too! :-) Thanks man and take care and hopefully will get em next week.

Steelerlyn
11-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Hoyer was Brady's backup for 4 years, he had to have picked up some of Tom's pixie dust:)

LatrobePA
11-25-2012, 10:47 PM
Batch and Leftwich suck sack!

scott0326
11-26-2012, 06:29 AM
But would the Broncos be winning with Brock Osweiler, especially if the Broncos were fumbling away the ball 5 times?

Would the Saints be winning with Chase Daniels?

Would the Ravens be winning with Tyrod Taylor?

I suspect, no, no, and no.
All of those guys are at least young and have potential and I believe Osweiler has a lot of potential.. Batch and Leftwich are just old ****** washed up QB's who shouldn't be on this roster anymore.

TarlsQtr
11-26-2012, 06:34 AM
All of those guys are at least young and have potential and I believe Osweiler has a lot of potential.. Batch and Leftwich are just old ****** washed up QB's who shouldn't be on this roster anymore.

Potential for what? To get crushed by the Ravens?

The Steelers do not need a QB of the future as Ben will be here many more years. They need an established veteran QB who will not crap himself because he has not run an NFL offense before.

Like I said, I doubt there is an NFL coach who would rather have Kirk Cousins of Brock Osweiler spot start a playoff game against the Ravens over a healthy Lefty (yeah, I know, "healthy" and "Lefty" is an oxymoron).

scott0326
11-27-2012, 04:48 PM

The Steelers do not need a QB of the future as Ben will be here many more years. They need an established veteran QB who will not crap himself because he has not run an NFL offense before.

Like I said, I doubt there is an NFL coach who would rather have Kirk Cousins of Brock Osweiler spot start a playoff game against the Ravens over a healthy Lefty (yeah, I know, "healthy" and "Lefty" is an oxymoron).
They have the potential to at least complete a pass down field or maybe hit a quick slant? Lol, I would take Osweiler over Batch and Leftwich ANY DAY and have a hell of a lot more confidence in him then I do in Batch or Leftwich.

Leftwich Is never healthy and Batch is just straight up garbage, his arm strength is non existent and he is way to old to be attempting to play in the NFL.. I honestly would rather of seen that Jerrod Johnson guy in the pre-season start.

Real Deal Steel
11-27-2012, 05:38 PM

Tarlqtr,

What's wrong with grooming a young guy the way that the 49ers groomed Kaepernick? They haven't even attempted to draft a young guy and groom him. And they've had three years to do it. Lefty and Batch were old three years ago. That's the part that I condemn Tomlin on.

SteelerCountry58
11-27-2012, 10:47 PM
Tarlqtr,

What's wrong with grooming a young guy the way that the 49ers groomed Kaepernick? They haven't even attempted to draft a young guy and groom him. And they've had three years to do it. Lefty and Batch were old three years ago. That's the part that I condemn Tomlin on.
I agree Real Deal. Nothing wrong with using a fourth rounder on a young mobile strong armed QB.
I'd sure as **** take my chances with a kid learning the same playbook in pre season/camp etc...
then two jurassic stiffs who are milking a paycheck and wasting roster spaces.

Real Deal Steel
11-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Got a question guys:

We need to groom a young QB. As far as the backup QB position is concerned, that should be the first priority.

But....Carson Palmer will be free in the off-season; do we pursue him?

BstripeYpaint
02-22-2013, 07:59 PM
This post is as relevant tonight as it was last November. While I think the Steelers might retain Charlie as our #3 QB, I really don't think we'll see Leftwich in the Black & Gold this season.

The backup QB issue is a HUGE one in the off season. Brian Hoyer is a now a Free Agent; why shouldn't we bring him back? He already had a crash course in Haley's new system. I saw him do some preseason work when he was with the Patriots. He looked sharp. He obviously had a nice career at Michigan State.

LatrobePA
02-22-2013, 08:08 PM
Stanton...

Real Deal Steel
02-22-2013, 10:29 PM
I think we can do a little better then Stanton.

Big T
02-22-2013, 11:49 PM
I'd love for them to sign Matt Moore

polamalu43
02-23-2013, 01:29 AM
I agree with Matt Moore too.....I thought he looked pretty good in Miami in 2011. He could actually win a game for us!

Crash
02-23-2013, 02:52 AM
Palmer is done. He's been done since he came back in 2009.

JollyRob68
02-23-2013, 03:15 PM
What are your thoughts on Jason Campbell? He's a QB that prefers the safe throws the way Todd Haley runs his Offense. Plus it's time for Campbell to realize he's not a full time starter anymore much the way Charlie Batch did.
They should of never cut Brian Hoyer. They should of kept him and locked him up as a backup. I'd love MAtt Moore to go the Charlie Batch route and decide to be a backup for a winning organization.

ChucktownSteeler
02-23-2013, 03:18 PM
I would keep Chalrie as a solid number 3 quarterback and draft one to groom. Perhaps Dysert or Landry come to mind. I don't see any available QBs I would bring in.

Real Deal Steel
02-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Matt Moore would be great. I endorse that signing. But first he has to come to the realization that he isn't getting a starting gig anywhere.

Real Deal Steel
02-23-2013, 10:15 PM
Update: Matt Cassell is about to be released. There's your backup QB.

BstripeYpaint
02-23-2013, 10:28 PM
Because our back-up QB issue is so tenuous, I would imagine that Colbert et al. will be looking to the free agent pool. I suppose that Cassell could be effective in that role.

polamalu43
02-24-2013, 01:06 AM
I'd take Cassell but not Jason Campbell

ChucktownSteeler
02-24-2013, 01:40 AM
Update: Matt Cassell is about to be released. There's your backup QB.

I thought of that a few months ago. He should know Haley's offense and has experience backing up Brady.

LatrobePA
02-24-2013, 11:39 AM
I'd take anyone but the two we have now! Leftwich is terrible, Batch served us well but it's time to move one.

BstripeYpaint
02-24-2013, 01:00 PM
I think Cassell would be a great acquisition. Charlie could help with his education. I heard that Charlie would love to stay on.

Real Deal Steel
02-25-2013, 11:13 AM
Charlie can stay...as a classroom teacher for the rostered QB's! But other then that, I don't want Charlie on the roster.

Mike Tomlin
02-25-2013, 10:25 PM
I do think it is over with as far as Leftwich goes, I hate it because he 's a good guy and a good football player. I mean what good is a backup quarterback if he's always hurt. I don't think we have any choice but to keep Batch. When he got the reps he needed he came out and beat the Ravens. Bottom line is we need a younger decent guy at backup , he won't have to do much just don't turn the ball over and we're in every game. I mean even this year we donated just about every game we lost this year. We could of easily had a superbowl team this year. Think about it... Titan game (missed pick by Ike and Kennan Lewis either probably wins the game for us) Raiders (all Brown had to do was fall to the ground and we would've been able to close out that game. Baltimore (Fumbled the ball 3 times in 25 yards or less away from their endzone and we still had chances to win that game. I could name a few more but any one of these games would have put us in the playoffs. I just feel like we're not that far away these young guys just need to learn how to finish business. The light turned on for a few of them toward the end of the year.

weakdraft
02-26-2013, 12:43 AM
The problem is...............WE NEED A QB WHO DROPS BACK - AND LOOKS AT TARGETS- INSTEAD OF THE PASS RUSH.!!!

weakdraft
02-26-2013, 12:43 AM
The problem is...............WE NEED A QB WHO DROPS BACK - AND LOOKS AT TARGETS- INSTEAD OF THE PASS RUSH.!!!