PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin not a game day coach, hired for rooney rule

scudmissile29
11-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Mike Tomlin is not a game day coach, he cannot coach a team!.

Dunk him in the river.

I really do believe he was now only hired because of the Rooney rule.

Before anyone falsely brands me a "racist", read this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2238017/UK-gives-19million-aid-South-Africa--president-spends-17-5million-palace.html

It just shows without Ben how useless we are.

Good night comrades, tomorrow I hope to wake up and see Mike Tomlin shitcanned along with Mike Wallace.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Mike Tomlin is a huge joke of a HC but he isn't going anywhere.....The Rooney's will not fire him......

Big T
11-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Blaming Tomlin because no one could hold on to the ball? And because Charlie Batch played a putrid?

Forged in Steel
11-25-2012, 05:18 PM
The Rooney's will not fire him......

That would make them look like racists since they hired him just because of their own rule. Tomlin clearly inherited Cowher's team. If they want to stick with the Rooney Rule just hire Tony Dungy or something.

JensK
11-25-2012, 05:18 PM
This was just not on Tomlin... There was simply nothing he could do to make this any better. We had 8 freaking turnovers. It was not Tomlin out there. The gameplan made sense, but our RBs threw the ball away whenever they had a chance, and Charlie Batch could not hit an open WR if his freaking life depended on it. You can fault Tomlin for many things, but not this one.

Troyisabeast_43
11-25-2012, 05:36 PM
Tomlin handled the running backs so poorly today and this team has no starting running back at this point. For crying out loud Tomlin pick a ****ing running back and go with it...

muncher
11-25-2012, 05:37 PM
you're just now realizing this?

LatrobePA
11-25-2012, 05:41 PM
Mike Tomlin is a huge joke of a HC but he isn't going anywhere.....The Rooney's will not fire him......

F Tomlin!

NYCsteelersfan
11-25-2012, 06:10 PM

I've said the exact same thing on this forum almost immediately after he was hired, and I've repeated it several times since. He's not a head coach and was clearly hired for publicity and political correctness. He has no idea what he's doing more than half the time. Sticking with Arians for that long; the poor conditioning of the players; the undisciplined play of the team as a whole; the lack of improvement of any aspect of the team. The list is long and brutal.

Can you blame him for today's loss? Considering it was a 6 point game and the team had 8 fumbles, then yes, yes you can blame him. Only poorly coached teams turn the ball over 8 times in one game.

Let's also throw in the fact that the two backup quarterbacks were Leftwich and Batch on a team that has had the worst offensive line in football for the last few years.

TarlsQtr
11-25-2012, 06:16 PM
Crappy coaches do not go to two super bowls.

JensK
11-25-2012, 06:21 PM
I fiercely disagree. If you played Batch over Leftwich or Big Ben, then you can go on and blame it on Tomlin. If you called insane pitch-like running plays, then you could blame it on Tomlin. However, Tomlin and Haley called a decent game. I'm not saying they called a great game, but they did not loose this game. Its not Tomlin who could not hang on to the football. He took Mendenhall out because he has showed NOTHING this year when he has been on the field. You could question pulling Dwyer, but he was not exactly having a field day either. So Tomlin was simply trying to find a RB who did not throw the ball away, and who could actually come up with some yardage. None of them did, so he gave Mendenhall another chance and he thanked Tomlin by throwing it away again. Add to this that the calls was pretty safe running plays up the middle.

It was not Tomlins fault that Wallace couldnt hang on to the ball, or that Batch threw 2 other interceptions. If you go back and look at the plays, the playcalling was pretty good. Batch had other players wide open on all of them and he took a horrible decision. Sadly, we don't have any other option than Batch right now so that is what he had to go with.

I mean, I understand why some don't like Tomlin, but you just can't overcome 8 turnovers as a coach. Furthermore, its not like we turn the ball over all the time usually. This was a strange game where pretty much all the players had issues of some sort.

NorCalSteel
11-25-2012, 06:39 PM
I cant agree with the Tomlin critics on this one..how do you coach a team that cant hold onto a football....

RIVERS OF STEEL
11-25-2012, 06:39 PM
Crappy coaches do not go to two super bowls.

His Super Bowl, the team showed up like it was returning from a night of partying on the beach. His fn team.

This coach has wasted a great Quarterback for starters. Sick of watchin this lame show.

Farrior Fan
11-25-2012, 06:56 PM
not sure if we can blame this one on Tomlin. But it sure would have been nice to have a challenge available with 2:02 in the 4th today.

Some of the other games, yeah. Honestly I have NEVER played one down of organized football in my life, but could easily manage a game better than Coach T.

I would NEVER play Leftwich when he played like he did last week. I would have NEVER kept Arians over 1 second after I took over the team, and certainly not 1 second after the 2008 SB. I would NEVER attempt an onsides kick on the opening kickoff against a waaaayyyy outmatched team (deadskins) in 2008. I would NEVER ignore an Oline until it was so bad that we were the laughing stock of the league, especially when you have a $100 million QB that everything hinges on.

So please call/write the Rooneys and tell them that I am not only available, but I am a better choice. :)

Nolrog
11-25-2012, 07:57 PM

He got the interview because of the Rooney Rule. Rooney wasn't going to hire him but Tomlin was hired because he did really well in the interview.

LatrobePA
11-25-2012, 08:05 PM
He got the interview because of the Rooney Rule. Rooney wasn't going to hire him but Tomlin was hired because he did really well in the interview.

Well yea he talks a great game! He should of ran for prez.

BubbyBlister
11-25-2012, 08:19 PM
Well yea he talks a great game! He should of ran for prez. No Doubt!

Clevelandsux
11-25-2012, 08:27 PM
last week i blamed tomlin. Today was a total team effort. A total debacle. An embarrassment. And to think i paid good money to watch that ****. We sucked!

Zachintosh66
11-25-2012, 08:36 PM
How is he gonna get "tough" with the RB's (benching) but leave Leftwhich in the games last week when he couldnt throw the ball 30 yds down field... seems legit.

ChucktownSteeler
11-25-2012, 08:51 PM
I cant agree with the Tomlin critics on this one..how do you coach a team that cant hold onto a football....

How about a coach "coaching" his players not to carry the rock down around their ball-sack. Guess what The Ravens will be trying to do next week?

Answer: Strip the ball.

Raleigh Steel
11-25-2012, 08:54 PM
How about a coach "coaching" his players not to carry the rock down around their ball-sack. Guess what The Ravens will be trying to do next week?

yeah, you didn't have to provide the answer...:lol: just playing with ya c-town

Black@Gold Forever32
11-25-2012, 09:01 PM
It really doesn't matter about next week if Ben doesn't play.....I know the Steelers played the Rats tough in the Burgh but next week without Ben I see the Steelers getting smoked in Baltimore........

cbrunn
11-25-2012, 09:11 PM
Settle down guys ...
Coach a guy to hold the fumble isn't the Head Coach job ... that's the RB coach job ... and taught since peewee football if you don't know how to hold the football right, maybe you shouldn't be in the league

Bring in a better back up QB ... isn't the Head Coach Job that's your brilliant GMs job

Head Coach is supposed to manage players personalities and he's one of the best at that ...
yes the discipline is on the Head Coach and he needs to stop the penalties ... and Bringing in guys to coach OC, DC etc... is on the head coach and he brought in good Coaches

Might as well get used to him because he's your COACH for a lonngggg time to come....

connecticutsteel
11-25-2012, 09:33 PM
tomlin is a great coach maybe top 3 in the league all the things that happened today he couldn't control a racist thred by a racist wanker

TarlsQtr
11-25-2012, 09:40 PM
To think that the Rooneys, who hired Noll and Cowher back to back, hired an incompetent based solely on his race is absurd.

The ironic part is the same garbage (other than the Rooney Rule stuff) was said about Cowher until he won the SB. Now, we have to hear how Tomlin won with "Cowher's team" etc. Pure malarkey.

NYCsteelersfan
11-25-2012, 09:43 PM
tomlin is a great coach maybe top 3 in the league all the things that happened today he couldn't control a racist thred by a racist wanker

Top three in the league? Racist wanker? So, you're an idiot that doesn't know football and you're an idiot that doesn't know what a racist is. Go watch more football without the ESPN commentary or go read a book that doesn't have pictures.

NorCalSteel
11-25-2012, 10:25 PM

he doesnt high and tight is how they coach them..doesn't mean they will listen

SteelCityVoice
11-25-2012, 10:29 PM
That would make them look like racists since they hired him just because of their own rule. Tomlin clearly inherited Cowher's team. If they want to stick with the Rooney Rule just hire Tony Dungy or something.

How many Super Bowls did Cowher win with "Cowher's players?"

I must have missed the session where coaches teach a team how to turn it over EIGHT times in a game. Charlie Batch is a third string QB for a reason. Hence the three picks.

None of the running backs showed anything today.

The injuries finally caught up to the Steelers, plain and simple. You just can't do well without your All-pro QB, safety, OLB, Tackles, WR.....

The funny thing is it took all 8 turnovers to let the Browns win that game. How awful are they?

NYCsteelersfan
11-25-2012, 10:54 PM

Give Tomlin Neil O'Donnell, Bubby Brister, Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox or Kent Graham and he wouldn't win 5 games in a season. Be realistic and understand that once Cowher got a good quarterback, he won a Superbowl in only two seasons. He went to the conference championship in that quarterback's rookie year.

LevonKirkland99
11-25-2012, 11:00 PM
The jury is still out on Tomlin; however, it is not the coacj's fault to turn the ball 7+ times in a game....why don't we have a good back-up QB?

In any case, we have to rally behind Tomlin as Steeler fans, imho.

SteelCityVoice
11-25-2012, 11:56 PM
Give Tomlin Neil O'Donnell, Bubby Brister, Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox or Kent Graham and he wouldn't win 5 games in a season. Be realistic and understand that once Cowher got a good quarterback, he won a Superbowl in only two seasons. He went to the conference championship in that quarterback's rookie year.

So a coach is only as good as their franchise quarterback? Thanks for that newsflash. Cowher benefitted from some badass defenses in the day, which is why those crappy QB's could get something going. He also choked against inferior teams (San Diego)

These same Cowher players finished 8-8 under him for his last year.

Again I'd be curious to see how well Tomin's team did this year with a full roster. We get 1-2 major injuries every week it seems like.

NYCsteelersfan
11-26-2012, 12:05 AM
So a coach is only as good as their franchise quarterback? Thanks for that newsflash. Cowher benefitted from some badass defenses in the day, which is why those crappy QB's could get something going. He also choked against inferior teams (San Diego)

These same Cowher players finished 8-8 under him for his last year.

Again I'd be curious to see how well Tomin's team did this year with a full roster. We get 1-2 major injuries every week it seems like.

Cowher lost to San Diego with Neil O'Donnell. Tomlin has lost to Denver, Jacksonville and has failed to make the playoffs with a top 5 quarterback. Cowher went 8-8 the season his quarterback almost died in a motorcycle accident before the season started and then had an emergency appendectomy in the middle of the season. Stop cherry picking your stats and facts. Comparing Tomlin to Cowher is moronic. Once again, Tomlin wouldn't win five games with the quarterbacks Cowher dealt with before Roethlisberher.

NYCsteelersfan
11-26-2012, 12:07 AM
And you know how this team did with a full roster? It lost to a team that has lost nine games in a row.

SteelCityVoice
11-26-2012, 12:15 AM
When have they had a full roster this year?

SteelerCountry58
11-26-2012, 12:18 AM
Like I said in another thread:
This team needs a leader and kick in the *** type coach. A guy who
will chew you out when needed. Show emotion and be involved more.
Not be buddy buddy with the team but inspire and motivate a team to
be mentally tough and bring the pain as well. Tomlin doesn't do that enough
if at all it seems. Granted this doesn't fall completely on Tomlin,Colbert is to
blame for supplying the ammo. You can only do so much with handguns in
a battle made for tanks and heavy artillery. We have been snakebitten with
injuries no doubt but the attitude and strategy should be adjusted to fight on.
That starts with your GM and Coach. Why is it that some teams grasp this like
N.E. but others are blinded by arrogance and stubborness to correct flaws??

NYCsteelersfan
11-26-2012, 12:18 AM
When have they had a full roster this year?

Who were the fantastic and significant players they were missing for the Oakland game?

Real Deal Steel
11-26-2012, 12:30 AM

I agree.

SteelCityVoice
11-26-2012, 12:31 AM
Who were the fantastic and significant players they were missing for the Oakland game?

Only two former DPOY, Harrison and Polamalu. First round pick/starter Mendenhall. Maybe they aren't fantastic in your mind though.

Defense has improved quite a bit once Harrison got back into the lineup. It'll probably get even better if Troy finally makes it back.

They've been without 1st round pick DeCastro all year.

TarlsQtr
11-26-2012, 12:55 AM

Neil O WAS a good QB. Unfortunately, he will always be remembered for a couple of interceptions in the Super Bowl, at least one of which was not his fault. I would also note that Cowher had a very large impact on the roster, so he is at least partly responsible for the lack of a QB.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-26-2012, 12:56 AM
It's hard to evaluate a Head Coach on a day where his team had 8 turnovers, many of which were unforced. Regardless, this Steelers team came out sloppy, undisciplined, and unfocused just like they have much of this season. Rookie mistakes by veterans and young players alike continue to plague this team. Until Tomlin starts to crack the whip and instill some discipline on his players, the results won't change. Expect more careless turnovers, mental mistakes, and sloppy penalties. The standard is the standard, and it is time for Mike Tomlin to show some more substance as a head coach. As he's told us, style points don't matter.

This was from another Steelers site I visit and I agree 100%;....Is Tomlin 100% to blame for the loss today?.....No he isn't but at the sametime to many times this season the Steelers come out sloppy, undisciplined, unfocused this season and really since Tomlin has been HC......Mikey T is a joke and his cliches are old........He isn't getting fired so no worries Tomlin supporters........

chisteeler
11-26-2012, 01:29 AM
The coach lost the game because of a rule that promotes political correctness,Hmm? Now that is where in lies the problem. What I mean by this, is that our country has become so consumed with being PC and socially aware of the "white guilt", that we as Americans have become overly cautious with our mind set to first police ourselves with what we'll say or how we'll say it, for fear of being labeled racist. So with that said, the question should really be, "Was Mike Tomlin the best MAN for the head coaching job of The Pittsburgh Steelers?" In my opinion, no. Wizz should have gotten the job, but there were too many concerned people in positions of power that feared the previous statement. So live with it.

scudmissile29
11-26-2012, 01:58 AM

do you want a colouring book?

steelchamp204
11-26-2012, 03:47 AM
The past few seasons, there has been a lot of tough games to watch against teams the Steelers should have dominated. Not, saying they should have kicked the **** out of the Browns, but damn.

scudmissile29
11-26-2012, 11:26 AM
The coach lost the game because of a rule that promotes political correctness,Hmm? Now that is where in lies the problem. What I mean by this, is that our country has become so consumed with being PC and socially aware of the "white guilt", that we as Americans have become overly cautious with our mind set to first police ourselves with what we'll say or how we'll say it, for fear of being labeled racist. So with that said, the question should really be, "Was Mike Tomlin the best MAN for the head coaching job of The Pittsburgh Steelers?" In my opinion, no. Wizz should have gotten the job, but there were too many concerned people in positions of power that feared the previous statement. So live with it.

I'm not American so I don't live in the fear of the mistakes of what your big headed country does all the time.

steeler47
11-26-2012, 12:00 PM
I don't understand why everybody just has to start hating on the coach or anyone. The players lost this game. They fumbled the ball, they threw the interceptions. Coach Tomlins decisions were poorly executed .He wasn't out there giving the ball away. Next week's another game, let's hope everyone comes in healthy. That's the only problem with this team we're all just banged up. I will say there's no excuse for 4 fumbles by 4 different backs that's just not acceptable.

ChucktownSteeler
11-26-2012, 01:22 PM
I don't understand why everybody just has to start hating on the coach or anyone. The players lost this game. They fumbled the ball, they threw the interceptions. Coach Tomlins decisions were poorly executed .He wasn't out there giving the ball away. Next week's another game, let's hope everyone comes in healthy. That's the only problem with this team we're all just banged up. I will say there's no excuse for 4 fumbles by 4 different backs that's just not acceptable.

Any coach "worth his salt" would not allow a running back to carry the ball down by his nut sack for 5 years now (especially after the last SB). I could sign better RBs off the waiver wire right now than we saw yesterday. The second Mendy fumble he simply walked off the field, no remorse, he knew he was done.

This team is just not fundamentally set and other teams are taking advantage of it. What do you think the Ravens will try and do next week after watching this tape. Maybe strip the ball?

Yes, this entire past 2 year debacle is squarely on the shoulders of Mike Tomlin.

ChucktownSteeler
11-26-2012, 01:28 PM

It's not soley the Rooney's decision anymore. Although I tend to agree with you, there are minority owners now that will have a say.

ChucktownSteeler
11-26-2012, 01:31 PM
he doesnt high and tight is how they coach them..doesn't mean they will listen

Who runs the team, the coach or the running back. Much like your kids, the players are going to do what's permitted. The majority of Steeler nation knows Mendy carries the ball much to loose and low, why hasn't this been corrected. Maybe his next HC will have the rocks to address it.

Mensy - Don't let the door hit ya..

ChucktownSteeler
11-26-2012, 01:33 PM

I must have missed the session where coaches teach a team how to turn it over EIGHT times in a game. Charlie Batch is a third string QB for a reason. Hence the three picks.

None of the running backs showed anything today.

The injuries finally caught up to the Steelers, plain and simple. You just can't do well without your All-pro QB, safety, OLB, Tackles, WR.....

The funny thing is it took all 8 turnovers to let the Browns win that game. How awful are they?

Compare Cowher's record with Ben against Tomlin's record with Ben. The answer is quite shocking.

NYCsteelersfan
11-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Compare Cowher's record with Ben against Tomlin's record with Ben. The answer is quite shocking.

I don't think it's worth comparing since Cowher had Roethlisberger for only 3 seasons. One of them was his rookie year and another season was the one wear the idiot got into a motorcycle accident without a helmet in the offseason and then he had sn emergency appendectomy in the middle of the season.

steelersbabex25
11-26-2012, 08:14 PM
I haven't been a huge fan of Tomlin as of late but the game yesterday was not his fault by any means. Tomlin is just a victim of circumstance. Sounds naive BUT an offense is only as good as their quarterback. We went from having a franchise QB to Charlie Batch in 2 weeks. Not that I'm defending the RBs either but when the other team knows you're going to run and they put 9 in the box on every play, that is going to make it very difficult for the running back to make any progress at all really. Ben being out has shattered the offense in every way. Not really anything anyone of the players or the coaching staff can do except for hope he gets back soon.