PDA

View Full Version : Let's not dance around the one issue with the defense...

Get7With7
11-23-2012, 12:38 AM
First, let me say that this Steeler defense is a few leagues better than the defense we saw against Oakland and Tennessee. Specifically, I think Keenan Lewis is getting better each week and Lawrence Timmons is in beast mode.

But, and this is a very important but......

Yinz Stiller fans should know that a championship defense makes splash plays and gives its offense a short field. Being ranked number 1 as far as yardage goes is great, but as we learned last year, it's not enough. The offense is ranked a mediocre 17th in scoring. While I'm not saying that's all on the defense, don't you think some turnovers and shorter fields more often would allow the Steelers to score more? Yes, Troy is hurt. But there are 31 other teams that don't have a Troy Polamalu.

Again, I'm not saying this defense is bad, but the Steelers will not get to where yinz want them to go if the defense is unable to make splash plays more often than it currently is.

Clevelandsux
11-23-2012, 12:59 AM
Defense has been lacking in the turnover department since last year.and last week seemed we started at the 10 yardline every drive.

steelchamp204
11-23-2012, 01:19 AM
This is not a suprise at all. lmfao.

greg1964
11-23-2012, 08:44 AM
I would love for the Steelers to get "splash plays" sacks and turnovers: but these Steelers defense have be without the three player healthy that provides those play on the field at the same time for almost 1-1-/2 years.
Even through Harrison is on the field, He ISN'T the same person we was 2-3 year ago.
Woodley was out MOST of last year and missed some games this year. And Robin is learning to become Batman
And Troy as played a total of 5 quarters of football this season: enough said.

But how many "splash plays" did N.E. defense make last year: Splash play help a strungling offense, but if the I would take this defense any day of the year once Ben is healthy again.

coldrolled
11-23-2012, 10:37 AM
We need a killer OLB to replace James. Or 92 needs to try some other tactics to get to the QB. He does hold the run game down just fine.

TarlsQtr
11-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Harrison, not himself due to knee injury.
Troy out virtually all season
Do not underestimate the loss of Aaron Smith either. The DL has been the bedrock of this team for a decade and he took up blockers that now get to our LBs.

I agree that this is a glaring weakness on D. Health could correct some of the problem.

ChucktownSteeler
11-23-2012, 02:49 PM
We need a killer OLB to replace James. Or 92 needs to try some other tactics to get to the QB. He does hold the run game down just fine.

John Simon, LB, #54, Thee Ohio State University

BLACKandGOLD
11-23-2012, 04:22 PM
A few years back this defense was forcing turnovers left and right...now we are lucky to get 1 a game. A lot it has to do with Troy not being out there I think.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk app

jnes1216
11-23-2012, 04:35 PM
I don't think our LBer's are getting their licks in. The OLB's especially. A lot of the turnovers were strip sacks, etc. No pressure = no turnovers. Second man to the ball, whoever it is, needs to be thinking about dislodging the ball.

Get7With7
11-23-2012, 05:16 PM
A few years back this defense was forcing turnovers left and right...now we are lucky to get 1 a game. A lot it has to do with Troy not being out there I think.

Troy was healthy most of last year and the turnovers still didn't happen. Most of the problems start up front.

BLACKandGOLD
11-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Troy was healthy most of last year and the turnovers still didn't happen. Most of the problems start up front.

I'm not saying that its the reason. I'm jus saying it has something to do with it. You can't tell me having Troy out there wouldn't help at all.

steelchamp204
11-23-2012, 08:06 PM
Troy not being out on the field can cause some of this. No matter what, we are not getting the strip sack fumbles we were accustomed to seeing in years past. The ints are not there even though there has been a few the past few weeks.

Clevelandsux
11-24-2012, 10:55 PM
Cook: Harrison's heroics not in forecast

November 23, 2012 12:11 am

Share with others:

inShare.

Related Media:
Browns QB Weeden makes his mark as rookie, too

By Ron Cook / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

On a pleasant November night in 2007 at Heinz Field, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger threw five touchdown passes in the first half against the Baltimore Ravens but wasn't the star of the Steelers' 38-7 victory. That was linebacker James Harrison. In one of the franchise's all-time great defensive performances, he had nine tackles, 3 1/2 sacks, an interception and 20-yard return, three forced fumbles and a fumble recovery.

Where is that James Harrison when the Steelers need him?

It was a much different Harrison who lined up against the Ravens Sunday night in a 13-10 loss, a much lesser Harrison because of a left knee injury that has haunted him all season. He made no such splash plays, although he did get his first sack in six games. The big problem for the Steelers is he might not be able to make many splash plays the rest of the season.

That's not my observation. That's Harrison's.

"It's not frustrating," he said. "I know what I'm capable of doing. I'm going to run hard and hit hard. But I know how my body is going to react. I'm going to give it my all, but I'm limited by what my body lets me do."

Harrison missed all of the offseason work because of his knee and, when it didn't respond by training camp, had arthroscopic surgery Aug. 15. He missed the first three games of the season. It's often been hard to watch him since he returned to the lineup Oct. 7 against the Philadelphia Eagles.

He hasn't looked much like a five-time Pro Bowler and a former NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

He had a sack against the Tennessee Titans Oct. 11 but didn't get another until he took down Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco late in the game to give the Steelers the ball one final time. He had another sack against the Ravens that was nullified by an off-sides penalty on defensive end Brett Keisel. He has just eight quarterback pressures in seven games, no interceptions, no forced fumbles, no fumble recoveries.

"It's going to be a slow process getting back to where I was," Harrison said. "Each week, I feel a little better. I feel like I'm making some progress here and there. But I know I'm not going to be 100 percent by the end of the season."

Harrison, 34, used to be unblockable. The only way for an offensive lineman to stop him was to hold him and hope to get away without a penalty. That's not so much the case now.

"Just explosion," Harrison said when asked what his game is missing. "I don't get that same explosive first step. [The Ravens game] probably was the best it's been in terms of powering guys back. We'll see what happens in the next game."

Teammates say it's unfair to judge Harrison just on sacks and turnovers. Linebacker Larry Foote said Harrison is getting stronger each week. "You can see it on film. He's starting to push the pile back."

Harrison has been stout against the run. He helped limit the Ravens to 47 rushing yards, including just 40 on 20 carries by Pro Bowler Ray Rice. In the seven games Harrison has played, only one opponent -- the Kansas City Chiefs -- ran for more than 91 yards against the Steelers.

But Harrison is paid big money to make big plays. The Steelers defense isn't the same without him making them. It was terrific Sunday night, holding the Ravens to 200 yards and one legitimate field-goal drive.

But it didn't force a turnover. It has only five interceptions and four fumble recoveries in 10 games.

It's no wonder Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was less than ecstatic this week when asked about his defense against the Ravens. "I would have appreciated a splash play that produces a score or produces a short field for the offense to potentially produce a score."

A healthy Troy Polamalu (calf) would be a big help, but he's going to miss his seventh consecutive game Sunday when the Steelers play the Browns in Cleveland.

That's why the team is hoping -- perhaps against reality -- that Harrison can build on his performance against the Ravens.

It's hard to separate him and linebacker LaMarr Woodley. They are critical to the defense as a tandem. The defense is at its best when they're bashing quarterbacks and forcing turnovers.

"Creating havoc," Foote called it. It hasn't happened much this season because of Harrison's knee and a hamstring problem for Woodley. It didn't happen much last season because of injuries to both. Woodley had a big sack against the Ravens and appears ready for a stretch push.

But Harrison ...

"I know he's going to give us everything he's got," Foote said.

No doubt Harrison is willing. No one on the Steelers trains more maniacally. But will Harrison be able?

The answer to that question will go a long way to determining how successful the team is the rest of the season.

Ron Cook can be heard on the "Vinnie and Cook" show weekdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on 93.7 The Fan.
First Published November 23, 2012 12:00 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/cook-harrisons-heroics-not-in-forecast-663313/#ixzz2DCPtjT2q

Nolrog
11-24-2012, 11:13 PM
Been saying for 2 years now. Lack of pressure on the QB is the biggest problem this team has. When you pressure the QB, he makes mistakes and turns the ball over or you come up with a big sack. That's one of the top areas we need to address with our ****** drafting ability in next year's draft.

bigplaysteel
11-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Nolrog said: "Been saying for 2 years now. Lack of pressure on the QB is the biggest problem this team has. When you pressure the QB, he makes mistakes and turns the ball over or you come up with a big sack. That's one of the top areas we need to address with our ****** drafting ability in next year's draft."

---Pressuring the QB has been a priority of NFL teams longer than any of us have probably been around. That won't change. Getting those players is a must.

But for now I think jnes1216 has come up with the reason. He said:

"I don't think our LBer's are getting their licks in. The OLB's especially. A lot of the turnovers were strip sacks, etc. No pressure = no turnovers. Second man to the ball, whoever it is, needs to be thinking about dislodging the ball."

---TS[the steelers] have not been stripping the ball carrier and/or receivers [QB's too] for a long time now. It seems it is beneath them or something. Holding the receivers up and taking the ball off of them when the situation presents itself is no longer a part of their game. Result no Turnovers.

The Raiders did a good job on TS in this area and it was a big reason for them upsetting TS. Hey, if the zebras aren't blowing the whistle then 2nd 3rd 4th guy in does the job. Frankly, I don't like this tactic either since it really seems to be borderline dirty but until there is a rule against it. Better you than them.

I would go so far as to say half of those trophys in TS cupboard would not be there if not for this tactic.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-25-2012, 01:50 PM
This isn't the Steelers defense we've been used to seeing a few years ago in terms of splash plays. They will make some here and there, but when it comes to turnovers they have had to make a difference in other ways. Good run defense, good pass defense, etc has been good over the last month.

When it comes to the post season you better be able to get some turnovers; I don't even care of they score off a pick 6 or fumble recovery, just get the ball back.

Equally as concerning with this defense is the lack of fundamental tackling at times. For every good defensive series they have one that is just **** poor in terms of tackling.

bigplaysteel
11-25-2012, 05:25 PM
I don't think our LBer's are getting their licks in. The OLB's especially. A lot of the turnovers were strip sacks, etc. No pressure = no turnovers. Second man to the ball, whoever it is, needs to be thinking about dislodging the ball.

Apparently, the wrong team read your post!