PDA

View Full Version : How the WR production will realistically shake out the rest of 2012 with Plax now.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Now that he's back and come full circle, wearing his #80 jersey again in Pittsburgh, how much will he actually do for the Steelers this season?

Realistically I see him as basically taking over for Jerricho Cotchery. With 2 busted ribs, Cotch isn't going to see action until the last week or two of the regular season most likely, if at all. He, Jerricho, was the 4th WR on the depth chart and normally got a handful of looks each game at best, nothing crazy.

Plax's production will depend a lot on when AB is able to return. If Brown is out this weekend against the Browns then of course Plax is going to get a few more opportunities. If Brown is able to return then Plax will be mostly on the sidelines, coming in occasionally in the redzone or perhaps 3rd down in spread sets.

We're not going to see Plax with 40 catches and 6 TD's; although that would certainly be nice.

Mike Wallace will get all of the double teams the rest of the way out, with the defense rolling a Safety over to his side. Sanders will get one on one the vast majority of the time and he'll have to win those battles. David Gilreath will certainly draw a nickle or dime back and could find himself open more often than we might think; that Baltimore game had him wide open late but Leftwich couldn't get him the ball.

Basically until Brown returns this group is going to have it's share of struggles but also opportunities to shine. Wallace will have to make plays besides is typical post pattern running back everyone and guys like Heath and David Paulson will be important (if they can be pulled away from Mike Adams' side).

LevonKirkland99
11-20-2012, 05:47 PM
So Wallace and Sanders are #1 receivers for now? I can see Plaxico having an impact in the Ravens game. I just don't trust Wallace.

Ibleedblk&gld
11-20-2012, 05:50 PM
yeah I honestly believe as long as he catches onto the system and runs his routes effectively, Plax will get more playing time than we may think...hell I haven't seen him play since last year and I already trust him more than Gilreath (and possibly Wallace)

K Train
11-20-2012, 06:05 PM
i could see him scoring 6 TDs for the remainder of the season, especially if ben comes back. hes not gonna stretch the field much, but he cn certainly catch some touchdowns

ChucktownSteeler
11-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Good move, let's see what he has left in the tank. Do we have a club option for next season?

steelchamp204
11-20-2012, 07:14 PM
I think he will have a bigger impact than some might believe. Hoe Ben gets back soon.

Root4Stlrs
11-20-2012, 07:47 PM
Remember, Plax scored 8 TDs with Mark Sanchez throwing him the ball. No, he won't stretch the field between the 20's but I really think he can be very effective in the red zone. How long has it been since we've had a 6'5" receiver? I didn't like it when they let him go.

Number99
11-20-2012, 09:01 PM
Let's temper expectations on Plax until we see him play. I'd be surprised if he caught 2 tds. Though I'd be throughly pleased if he caught 6.

Root4Stlrs
11-20-2012, 09:08 PM
I'd be happy if he caught two TDs. I personally am not expecting anything, merely stating facts related to his past performance, sprinkled with opinions regarding effectiveness in the red zone.

Omicron
11-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Maybe they are thinking he is better catching fade patterns in the redzone than the one Wallace tried to catch.

SteelerCountry58
11-20-2012, 11:11 PM
No doubt Plax will be the main go to guy in the red zone once he gets his legs under him.
This dude just knows how to catch the ball and do it in critical situations,he always has.
He might be 35 but he still has some gas left in the tank to help us out down the stretch.

LatrobePA
11-20-2012, 11:25 PM
With out Ben it won't matter.

Real Deal Steel
11-21-2012, 10:36 AM
This is from rotoworld.com:

Plaxico Burress said he expects to play in a red-zone package designed for him.
The red zone is about the only place a 35-year-old Burress could even think about being an asset in right now. He doesn't know Todd Haley's system and won't play ahead of Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown (questionable, ankle) or Emmanuel Sanders. Expect a fistful of plays for Burress most weeks.

greg1964
11-23-2012, 07:29 AM
I know Plex is in his mid 30's, but what cold this signing mean for the future?
With Brown, Sanders, JC all locked up next year with Wallace and Plex UFA, If Wallace desides to go for the big money, (which will not be in PGH) then the Steelers could resign Plex as the 3rd or possiblity the 4th WR. With Brown, Sanders and JC all able to play the slot, and with Brown and Sanders able to go deep, it something I wouldn't mind seeing.

scudmissile29
11-23-2012, 07:40 AM
ben will like this.

as long as plax takes away some wallace time im really happy.

steelchamp204
11-23-2012, 09:18 AM
ben will like this.

as long as plax takes away some wallace time im really happy.

Why would Plax take away from the guy who is 2nd on the team in touchdowns. If it would be anything it would be Wallace/Brown/Plax/Heath for the playmaking ability in the redzone. Not starting a Wallace is the greatest receiver ever lol. It would be a joke to keep his speed off the field.

Real Deal Steel
11-23-2012, 09:35 AM
If Plax can open up things around the goal line, then he'll be worth every penny. I'm thinking he'll be full acclimated by the time Ben gets back.

Batch is going to have a real nice set up in the red zone. No excuses for him this Sunday against the Browns. Miller, Plax and Wallace. Get it done Batch.

steelchamp204
11-23-2012, 02:49 PM
If Plax can open up things around the goal line, then he'll be worth every penny. I'm thinking he'll be full acclimated by the time Ben gets back.

Batch is going to have a real nice set up in the red zone. No excuses for him this Sunday against the Browns. Miller, Plax and Wallace. Get it done Batch.

I feel a lot better with Batch than Lefty. I think Ben should come back after the Ravens game (reports saying he will be back for that game possibly)