PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign Brian Hoyer and Plaxico Burress; release LB Marshall McFadden and RB Baron Batch

coldrolled
11-20-2012, 01:53 PM
It's official. Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich won't be on the field Sunday against the Cleveland Browns.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin told reporters Tuesday that Ben Roethlisberger's backup has been ruled out with multiple rib fractures. Tomlin also ruled out receiver Jerricho Cotchery with the same injury.

Word on Leftwich comes as little surprise and the Steelers had already begun preparing 37-year-old Charlie Batch for the start, NFL.com's Aditi Kinkhabwala reported Monday, citing a source with direct knowledge of the team's plans.

Batch has the confidence of coaches, but the Steelers, as expected, are exploring all options.

The Steelers plan to sign quarterback Brian Hoyer, a source close to the player told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport. Tomlin had earlier confirmed the team worked out passers Mike Kafka and Hoyer, along with wideouts Plaxico Burress and Derrick Williams.

Tomlin listed Big Ben's status as doubtful for Cleveland, but that is generous. Roethlisberger won't face the Browns and the Steelers are planning for his absence to possibly stretch on well beyond Week 12. Tomlin and the Steelers are doing what they can to patch up that hole on an offense that remains a shell of what it was until their quarterback returns.

UPDATE: Both Hoyer and Plax are signed to deals as of this afternoon.

Raleigh Steel
11-20-2012, 02:03 PM
they better get hoyer up to speed and quickly!!! and mike kafka should be on speed dial to be hoyer's back-up once charlie batch gets injured. it's not if, it's when...

Big T
11-20-2012, 02:09 PM
@AdamSchefter: Along with Plaxico Burress, Steelers also signed Brian Hoyer as their backup QB.

Stone
11-20-2012, 02:29 PM
It's official. Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich won't be on the field Sunday against the Cleveland Browns.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin told reporters Tuesday that Ben Roethlisberger's backup has been ruled out with multiple rib fractures. Tomlin also ruled out receiver Jerricho Cotchery with the same injury.

Word on Leftwich comes as little surprise and the Steelers had already begun preparing 37-year-old Charlie Batch for the start, NFL.com's Aditi Kinkhabwala reported Monday, citing a source with direct knowledge of the team's plans.

Batch has the confidence of coaches, but the Steelers, as expected, are exploring all options.

The Steelers plan to sign quarterback Brian Hoyer, a source close to the player told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport. Tomlin had earlier confirmed the team worked out passers Mike Kafka and Hoyer, along with wideouts Plaxico Burress and Derrick Williams.

Tomlin listed Big Ben's status as doubtful for Cleveland, but that is generous. Roethlisberger won't face the Browns and the Steelers are planning for his absence to possibly stretch on well beyond Week 12. Tomlin and the Steelers are doing what they can to patch up that hole on an offense that remains a shell of what it was until their quarterback returns.

I hope they don't even try that. If we can't beat the Browns without Ben we don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-20-2012, 03:32 PM
God help us if Hoyer has to come in and play for any length of time. Hoyer Bio and Stats (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HoyeBr00.htm)

As far as Plax goes, he's going to take over Cotchery's role. He's not going to get a ton of looks every week generally speaking. His best chance is redzone or jump balls down the sideline I would imagine. If AB comes back this week we won't see Plax much at all. If he doesn't then Plax could get a few more passes his way.

connecticutsteel
11-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Hoyer isn't bad at all better than Casssell

Big T
11-20-2012, 03:39 PM
@EdBouchette: In bit of surprise #steelers release Baron Batch. Also McFadden

LatrobePA
11-20-2012, 03:41 PM
@EdBouchette: In bit of surprise #steelers release Baron Batch. Also McFadden

Really? Odd about Batch and not Lefty.

LatrobePA
11-20-2012, 03:42 PM
God help us if Hoyer has to come in and play for any length of time. Hoyer Bio and Stats (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HoyeBr00.htm)

As far as Plax goes, he's going to take over Cotchery's role. He's not going to get a ton of looks every week generally speaking. His best chance is redzone or jump balls down the sideline I would imagine. If AB comes back this week we won't see Plax much at all. If he doesn't then Plax could get a few more passes his way.

I'm betting Leftwich didn't have great stats but we stuck with him. Lol

BlitzburghRockCity
11-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Can't say I saw the Batch move coming. Considering the state of the RB's with injuries I would have called Van Dyke being cut since he's been inactive the last 2 weeks.

Clevelandsux
11-20-2012, 04:04 PM
sucks we had to dump batch

BlitzburghRockCity
11-20-2012, 04:11 PM
In case anyone is wondering about Batch being on the Practice Squad:

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/nfl-practice-squad-eligibility-rules/#.UKvjFORlFgw

In the National Football League, teams are only allowed to keep 53 players on their active roster. Yet sometimes there are players who are almost, but not quite, good enough to make the cut. That's why the league's collective bargaining agreement includes NFL Practice Squad rules, allowing each team to form what is known as a practice squad or a scout team.

Size of a Practice Squad

According to NFL Practice Squad rules, each team is allowed to keep up to eight players on their scout team at any given time. In addition, the National Football League may allow teams to keep a ninth player on the squad, provided they live outside of the United States.

Practice Squad Players

Any professional footballplayer (http://www.ehow.com/facts_4793705_nfl-practice-squad-rules.html#) signed to a team's practice squad can, as the name suggests, practice with the active roster members of that ball club. However, they cannot participate in an actual game unless they are signed to the active roster of a team.

Salary of Scout Team Players

The current salary of practice squad players, through 2010, is $5,200 per week. That amount will remain unchanged if 2011 is an uncapped year (that is, there is no salary cap), and will rise by $500 per week if there is a salary cap during that season. In 2012, the salary will be $5,700 per week.

Signing Practice Squad Players

Under the current NFL Practice Squad Rules, any player who is under contract on a scout team is free to sign a player contract with any team in the league, without compensation to the franchise whose practice squad he is a member of. However, the signing must be completed at least six days before the signing team's next game (10 days in the case of a bye week).

Practice Squad Eligibility
According to league policy, only certain types of players are allowed to sign to the practice squad. Players cannot have played more than nine regular season games or been on the active roster for an entire year, nor can players be allowed to spend more than two seasons on the same team's squad unless that team's active roster never dips below 53 players.

coldrolled
11-20-2012, 04:36 PM
I'm betting Leftwich didn't have great stats but we stuck with him. Lol

The dude is a walking fracture wating to happen.. Everytime he plays more than two qtrs he is broken...

dump lefty sign kafca

LatrobePA
11-20-2012, 04:37 PM
The dude is a walking fracture wating to happen.. Everytime he plays more than two qtrs he is broken...

dump lefty sign kafca

We gave him 10 minutes before he was hurt.

coldrolled
11-20-2012, 04:48 PM
lol hahah
We gave him 10 minutes before he was hurt.

LatrobePA
11-20-2012, 04:50 PM
lol hahah

I could of crapped when he got up gimped!

Goodfrom55
11-20-2012, 05:03 PM

It could create matchup problems for the browns because typically, the #3 receiver is matched up with a safety. Never know, just hope Plax is hungry and not just looking for a paycheck.

steelchamp204
11-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Who the **** is Hoyer?

lancer89074
11-20-2012, 09:31 PM
As the main backup to Brady for a few years this guy must have had some good training in the Patriots camp. Our backup qbs always seem so unprepared. Whose decision was it to keep Leftwich as our backup? We will see what Batch has left in his tank. I wonder whose idea it was to pick Hoyer? I doubt that it was Tomlin's doing.

SteelerCountry58
11-21-2012, 12:24 AM
The Hoyer pickup has Haley written all over it. I'm ok with him. He had to have some of
Brady's pixie dust rub off on him being his right hand man for a few years. LOL
Glad they didn't go with Kafka,the guys arm strength resembles a broken Leftbitch.
And Baron Batch... don't worry the Rats will scoop him up,they like our sloppy seconds.:yesnod:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-21-2012, 11:17 AM
As the main backup to Brady for a few years this guy must have had some good training in the Patriots camp. Our backup qbs always seem so unprepared. Whose decision was it to keep Leftwich as our backup? We will see what Batch has left in his tank. I wonder whose idea it was to pick Hoyer? I doubt that it was Tomlin's doing.

That decision is always up to the coach, unless you're the Cowboys in which case it's Jerry Jones.

I'm fully confident in Batch to be able to lead this team as long as he has protection. As far as Hoyer goes, just coming in this week you know he'll have a good head on his shoulders to prepare for the game but there's no way he could run the whole offense if he has to come in.

scudmissile29
11-21-2012, 12:39 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/04/!Plax0.JPG

Clevelandsux
11-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Didn't realize he was a st.ignatius boy. Good football program here in ohio.

SnakeEyes43
11-21-2012, 01:11 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/04/!Plax0.JPG

:hehheh:

igor0190
11-21-2012, 01:44 PM
Why not bring Dennis Dixon back?

I actually think Haley would use him pretty effectively. A lot better than Arians anyways.

Blazedby92
11-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Why not bring Dennis Dixon back?

I actually think Haley would use him pretty effectively. A lot better than Arians anyways.

I think the rats signed him the week Ben went down

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

LatrobePA
11-21-2012, 04:53 PM
I think the rats signed him the week Ben went down

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Dixon turned down the Steelers offer..

LatrobePA
11-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Plax spent most of the day watching but did make a few nice catches in the short practice reps he got.

Big T
11-21-2012, 05:51 PM
@steelers: We have signed @baron_batch and @MMcFadden5 to our practice squad.

Real Deal Steel
11-21-2012, 06:27 PM
I'm hoping Plex can draw a lot of attention in the redzone which will give better looks for Miller and Wallace.

LatrobePA
11-21-2012, 06:46 PM
@steelers: We have signed @baron_batch and @MMcFadden5 to our practice squad.

I like this kid (Batch) I'm not sure why..

Clevelandsux
11-21-2012, 06:56 PM
I like this kid (Batch) I'm not sure why..

ya i like charlie too.lol

LatrobePA
11-21-2012, 06:58 PM
ya i like charlie too.lol

Ewww, lol if he wins a couple for us id be willing to blow him!