PDA

View Full Version : It was a brilliant move by Cowher to keep Duce Staley around until week 13.

BlackGold4vr
01-30-2007, 12:13 PM
He was on the active squad sucking up a roster spot for almost the entire season! I believe Bill kept him around as the concession stand runner in case he needed a drink or a hoagie during the game. Yo Duce, the tummy is a rumblin, make a munchies run! Something tells me that Tomlin won't refill the position of concession stand runner!

:pizza: :beer2: :popcorn: :beer3:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-30-2007, 12:18 PM
You actually bring up a point that I was thinking about. Tomlin won't necessarily play any favorites because he has no allegiance to anyone right now since he's knew; but give it time and in the coming years with some of his draft picks that maybe don't pan out, or FA aquisitions, and see if he gets into a similar rut that cowher did with some of his guys that he liked and just couldn't part with. I hope not, but you never know.

AZ_Steeler
01-30-2007, 12:32 PM
IMO... Duce was kept around because of how he handled himself during Jerome's last year. He was unselfish and put a fellow teammate first so I feel he was kept around as a sort of 'Thank you' from Cowher :dunno:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Very true, he was very much of a professional and an unselfish player. He conducted himself with dignity and pride and didn't ruffle any feathers. He got his super bowl and even dressed for the game if I remember right and then when he got injured again and Davenport stepped up he still complain so that does explain alot of the reasons he was still on the team. The problem is in this day and age with only a 53 man roster and a salary cap, you have to produce when it comes right down to it and he just didn't because he was always hurt.

I was a big Duce fan when we signed him, I was excited to see him because he ran hard and strong and dragged tacklers all over the place but it just wasn't meant to be.

BlackGold4vr
01-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Its a business and the players bring a product to the table. When the product goes bad its time to go. There are not any extra roster spots! Thats why even when big stars get injured they quickly move them to the IR so they can bring up somebody else! You are either helping the train go faster or you are weighing it down! I know its a cruel world! Wouldn't you have liked to fill the concession stand chaser for what Duce was making? Even if its for the league minimum its still better than what most of us fans are making for working real jobs!

:beer3:

big d
01-30-2007, 12:47 PM
You actually bring up a point that I was thinking about. Tomlin won't necessarily play any favorites because he has no allegiance to anyone right now since he's knew; but give it time and in the coming years with some of his draft picks that maybe don't pan out, or FA aquisitions, and see if he gets into a similar rut that cowher did with some of his guys that he liked and just couldn't part with. I hope not, but you never know.

I agree. You almost have to wonder how loyal he will be to joey porter. Porter has a huge cap number this year. It will be interesting to see who makes the cut list.

Captcoolhand
01-30-2007, 03:47 PM
IMO... Duce was kept around because of how he handled himself during Jerome's last year. He was unselfish and put a fellow teammate first so I feel he was kept around as a sort of 'Thank you' from Cowher :dunno:
What makes you think they kept him around:scratch: Maybe they just got tired of hearing him Bitch every week when he Didn't play:dunno: :lol: :lol:

SteelerSal
01-30-2007, 06:02 PM
Very true, he was very much of a professional and an unselfish player. He conducted himself with dignity and pride and didn't ruffle any feathers.

Of course he was unselfish and did'nt ruffle feathers. He was milkin 3 million and not gettin his sweat suit dirty.
Boy I'd like to have his job.:cursin:

Koopa
01-30-2007, 06:05 PM
that just showed duce had no heart, it was cool and all for him last year, but this year he didn't even try......... he got his money and his ring and that's all he cared about..... i'm glad he's gone, i don't want him rubbing off on willie

DIESELMAN
01-30-2007, 10:48 PM
I was wanting him gone in the preseason. The paycheck and the ring was thanks enough. I was happy as hell when we first signed him too but it didn't last long and he got hurt again. The NFL is a business and both sides should know that, when the time comes to not help the team anymore its time to go (its a shame it works like that but its reality).

Koopa
01-30-2007, 10:51 PM
I was wanting him gone in the preseason. The paycheck and the ring was thanks enough. I was happy as hell when we first signed him too but it didn't last long and he got hurt again. The NFL is a business and both sides should know that, when the time comes to not help the team anymore its time to go (its a shame it works like that but its reality).

i too was happy as hell, and i backed him up for the first 2 years he was here, making excuse after excuse for him being on the roster, but then i saw him come to camp pretty much out of shape, then i saw him stink it up in the preseason, and that's when i turned on him lol.....he showed he had no heart

BlitzburghRockCity
01-30-2007, 10:53 PM
I was backing him even going into 2006 saying if this guy can stay healthy he can do this or that, but he just got hurt again and never was able to do much of anything since his first year with us.

OneSteelSoldier
01-30-2007, 11:29 PM
With what we know about Cowher and Art II's relationship, it almost seems like Bill was sticking it to Art in some small way. All I know is that duce should have been let go during pre-season, so that John Kuhn could play. I don't know if any of us will ever know what transpired between Art and bill, something wasn't right.

SteelerFan87
01-31-2007, 12:22 AM
From what I've heard, they kept Duce for loyalty's sake. Both because he was unselfish when the Bus was getting all his TDs, and because IIRC he restructured his contract to take a pay cut, and if you cut him after he did that, it would send a bad message to the other players.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-31-2007, 07:34 AM
It's one thing to be loyal to a player that's on the edge, trying his hardest to contribute; but it's another to be loyal to a guy who hasn't done anything really in 3 years and is not hurt again.. ugh !