PDA

View Full Version : Ravens S Ed Reed suspended by NFL for 1 game

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-19-2012, 08:46 PM
NEW YORK (AP) Baltimore Ravens star safety Ed Reed was suspended for one game by the NFL on Monday for repeated hits to the head and neck area of defenseless players.

The 11-year veteran will miss Sunday's game against San Diego.

Reed is suspended for three violations of the player safety rules in the past three seasons. The latest came in Sunday night's 13-10 victory over Pittsburgh when he was penalized for unnecessary roughness in the third quarter for a hit to the head of receiver Emmanuel Sanders.

Reed also was penalized Sept. 23 against the Patriots for unnecessary roughness and fined $21,000 for striking Deion Branch when the receiver was defenseless. Before that, Reed hit Saints quarterback Drew Brees on Dec. 19, 2010, and was fined $10,000.

``We cannot tolerate repeated violations of rules, especially rules related to player safety,'' NFL executive vice president of football operations Ray Anderson said Monday. ``We will continue to take the strongest possible action to deter these types of violations and protect our players.''

Under the collective bargaining agreement with the players' union, the suspension can be appealed within three days. An expedited hearing and decision would take place this week.

Appeals are heard by either Art Shell or Ted Cottrell, the officers jointly appointed by the NFL and NFL Players Association.

Reed is the second player suspended this season for violating rules designed to protect players. Denver linebacker Joe Mays was barred for one game for an illegal hit against Houston quarterback Matt Schaub on Sept. 23.

steelersbabex25
11-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Ed Reed is the new James Harrison

BLACKandGOLD
11-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Ed Reed is the new James Harrison

Not even close. If that was the case he wouldn't be suspended for every tackle he makes and suspended for much longer

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk app

BlitzburghRockCity
11-19-2012, 10:10 PM
Ryan Clark needs to be careful now. They are making an example out of Reed and sending a message.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Big T
11-19-2012, 10:55 PM
Ryan Clark needs to be careful now. They are making an example out of Reed and sending a message.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2
It's the same thing they did to Harrison last year. 3 offenses within 3 years, 1 game suspension.

Real Deal Steel
11-20-2012, 12:39 AM
Reed has been doing this for the last three years. It's about time they suspend him.

JensK
11-20-2012, 04:39 AM
I guess it was all right if h is a repeated offender. It was not really the worst hit I ever saw, but helmet-to-hemlet nevertheless I suppose.

Stone
11-20-2012, 08:40 AM
I see a player revolt in the future.

LatrobePA
11-20-2012, 08:52 AM
Kinda a joke he got suspended but I'll take it. Funny how its just one game then back for the Steelers. Hmmm!

Real Deal Steel
11-20-2012, 10:13 AM
Well, you know that Goodall hates us more then any team in the league. He hates us as much as he hates the Saints right now.

86WARD
11-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Kinda a joke he got suspended but I'll take it. Funny how its just one game then back for the Steelers. Hmmm!

Agree for that hit on Sanders. Obviously it's the whole "portfolio," but that hit on Sanders should not have put him over the top.

Clevelandsux
11-20-2012, 11:51 AM
too bad that game he misses wont be against us.

LatrobePA
11-20-2012, 12:11 PM
too bad that game he misses wont be against us.

This isn't by accident!

Big T
11-20-2012, 03:52 PM
@AdamSchefter: Ted Cottrell reduced Ed Reed's one-game suspension to only a $50,000 fine. Wow...

Shocker *sarcasm*

Clevelandsux
11-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Reduced on ed reed, but never on harrison or on any steelers. go figure. slap on the wrist.

LatrobePA
11-20-2012, 04:30 PM
@AdamSchefter: Ted Cottrell reduced Ed Reed's one-game suspension to only a $50,000 fine. Wow...

Shocker *sarcasm*

Lmfao! This league is a joke! Granted the hit wasn't bad but the rules are the rules.

Big T
11-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Lmfao! This league is a joke! Granted the hit wasn't bad but the rules are the rules.

He wasn't suspended solely for the hit on Sanders. It was the three strikes in 3 years kind of deal. They're just so f*cking inconsistent.

LatrobePA
11-20-2012, 04:46 PM
He wasn't suspended solely for the hit on Sanders. It was the three strikes in 3 years kind of deal. They're just so f*cking inconsistent.

Right, just on being a repeat offender, so I'm clueless as to how they could reverse it. It's a joke!

Real Deal Steel
11-20-2012, 05:07 PM
This is insane. Never have they reversed one of these of a repeat offender. This is a bunch of crap.

connecticutsteel
11-20-2012, 05:11 PM
They suspended Ben 4 games for being accused of rape not charged (never had charges ever filed against him but dumervil was acutally convicted of aggravated rape and wasn't even fined to say they are in consistetant is an understsatment

Ibleedblk&gld
11-20-2012, 05:44 PM
connecticutsteel, are you drunk?

RIVERS OF STEEL
11-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Reed wins appeal . (http://www.nfl.com/news/around-the-league?id=0ap1000000098421)

North Steel
11-20-2012, 08:20 PM
And the fu*king horse **** continues.This is total bullshit.

Speeed
11-20-2012, 08:33 PM
I am happy he won. Was there a statement from the NFL? It seems they do this crap in secret with no validation on their part whatsoever.

Troyisabeast_43
11-20-2012, 08:34 PM
I love how John Harbaugh came out yesterday and said that Reed's hit to the helmet of Sanders even though it was helmet to helmet was not blatant and he wasnt trying to intentionally hurt him or take him out. Well no **** Harbaugh nobody ever said that, but just because Reed didnt mean to do it doesnt mean it's not a penalty and that he shouldnt get punished for it. He still hit Sanders helmet to helmet and I think it's a complete load of crap that this suspension got lifted and turned into a 50,000 dollar slap on the wrist for Reed...

North Steel
11-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Yup lets stuff another horse shoe in their ***.

Root4Stlrs
11-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Yes, the league made a statement saying they were not happy about Cottrell's overruling of the suspension, but the process worked. Blah Blah Blah. Reed has been sanctified to the same extent that Harrison has been demonized so it all has to do with who has the bigger BS load. Let's hope he commits another "unintentional" helmet to helmet hit this coming week-end so his butt will be out for the Steeler game.

Omicron
11-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Wonder if the NFL commissioner wears the same Ravens jersey as the rest of the incompetent , or Baltimore Fans, or if he gets a special blinded (yes, blinded to all other teams, not blinged)out version he can wear to watch "his" Ratbirds play. Must come with an instant communicator too for turning over decisions he does not like when called down on his team.

Yes, I am bitter and that decision to overturn was pure crap. Hope San Diego ( I can't stand rooting for them), grinds the Ratbirds up.