PDA

View Full Version : #44 Davenport

LatrobePA
01-30-2007, 10:09 AM
Sorry if it's been posted, but rumor has it he's gone, any truth to this??

TXS

TampaSteelGirl
01-30-2007, 10:10 AM
OMG! I hope not! We need him!!!

TEEMONT
01-30-2007, 10:11 AM
I haven't heard this...you would think it would be at steelers.com.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-30-2007, 10:13 AM
do you have a link?? I haven't heard anything about this...

SteelersWoman
01-30-2007, 10:20 AM
I thought he did a pretty good job most of the [few] times he got the ball last season--I'd hate to see him go! Unless they're plannin on replacin him with someone even better...
The one thing that worries me most about him is how often he gets injured.

LatrobePA
01-30-2007, 11:11 AM
I read it on brand x's. it wasn't a topic just in someone post. I'll have to dig it up...

AZ_Steeler
01-30-2007, 11:18 AM
I think this is nothing but a rumor and someone's opinion because there isn't anything on KFFL or any other site :dunno:

LatrobePA
01-30-2007, 11:25 AM
I hope so, I can't find that post now, just wanted to see if you guys knew anything on it...THANKS!

Ambridge
01-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Unless Davenport is costing the Steelers a ton of money(which I don't think he is)why wouldn't he be brought back??

I guess we got to keep reminding ourselves that this isn't Cowher's offense anymore and who knows what's going on in Tomlin's mind pertaining to the personel on offense.

Prosdo
01-30-2007, 11:51 AM
Davenport is a free agent isn't he? I thought he signed a one-year deal?

House of Steel
01-30-2007, 11:53 AM
I wish we would keep Davenport, he did a fine job on returning the balls and provided a little pounding power running.

AZ_Steeler
01-30-2007, 11:53 AM
Najeh is a UFA.. Here is his breakdown: http://www.steelersalarycap.com/player/NajehDavenport.htm

BlackGold4vr
01-30-2007, 11:54 AM
scout.com has been a very reliable source for steeler news. Normally if someone from the team even comes out of the head office or training facility to fart, its reported on! I haven't seen anything at all about Najeh! He is a unrestricted free agent but I was expecting the Steelers to resign him for cheap $$. His downside is he has been injured a lot and he is middle aged for an NFL RB. I think he still has game to offer! I would like to see him return but with a new sheriff in town I don't think anything is a given!

:beer3:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-30-2007, 12:29 PM
Yeah Najeh only signed a 1 yr deal and was the final piece of that RB merry go round we went through earlier in the year with bringing in players, releasing them, never playing them etc.

There's something about the guy I like but I want to see him really run harder and break more tackles. He started to show that for us once he got some playing time towards the end of the year, but he's a big enough guy that I really want to see him run hard and strong and take over that power back role for us.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-30-2007, 03:57 PM
Well for depth purposes the Steelers better resign him. That would leave Willie Parker, Verron Haynes, John Kuhn.

If Dookie isn't resigned the Steelers then will draft a RB. I don't see any free agents out there.

Even if Dookie is resigned I still think drafting a RB sometime in the draft would be a smart move.

Koopa
01-30-2007, 04:00 PM
Yeah Najeh only signed a 1 yr deal and was the final piece of that RB merry go round we went through earlier in the year with bringing in players, releasing them, never playing them etc.

There's something about the guy I like but I want to see him really run harder and break more tackles. He started to show that for us once he got some playing time towards the end of the year, but he's a big enough guy that I really want to see him run hard and strong and take over that power back role for us.

i like dookie, especially on speical teams, but he's soft, he isn't a pounder like he looks, the only time he pounded was against the browns.....we can do better....... someone said this in another thread, he's a willie type of back, he just isn't as fast......... and i doubt he'll ever be a pounder cause that's not how he rolls........

Black@Gold Forever32
01-30-2007, 04:07 PM
i like dookie, especially on speical teams, but he's soft, he isn't a pounder like he looks, the only time he pounded was against the browns.....we can do better....... someone said this in another thread, he's a willie type of back, he just isn't as fast......... and i doubt he'll ever be a pounder cause that's not how he rolls........

He was the same way with the Packers. I think he is a good role player and is needed for depth but like you said for a guy his size he should be a tank. What Dookie does best are screens and returning kicks.

big d
01-30-2007, 04:09 PM

I agree as well. I think we need someone that can give us value on short yardage plays, i'm hoping that we can get michael bush in the second round.

Koopa
01-30-2007, 04:19 PM
He was the same way with the Packers. I think he is a good role player and is needed for depth but like you said for a guy his size he should be a tank. What Dookie does best are screens and returning kicks.

yeah he is a decent role player, and he finally got to show his catching abilities with us......but haynes is good when he's actually healthy for that....so i rather get a legit power back to take the load off of willie

Koopa
01-30-2007, 04:20 PM
I agree as well. I think we need someone that can give us value on short yardage plays, i'm hoping that we can get michael bush in the second round.

i'd rather have hunt.....i like bush, but i'm being scared off by he leg injury.......... i don't know if he's gonna be the same, or if he's gonna be a pussy and be tentative running the ball.......

Black@Gold Forever32
01-30-2007, 04:22 PM
yeah he is a decent role player, and he finally got to show his catching abilities with us......but haynes is good when he's actually healthy for that....so i rather get a legit power back to take the load off of willie

Verron Haynes is a solid but he is never healthy thats he can't be counted on. He gets hurt every year it seems like. I'm all for the drafting of a legit power RB. You need depth at RB.

If Willie goes down with major injury then the Steelers will be trouble thats why they better think about drafting a RB.

Koopa
01-30-2007, 04:28 PM
Verron Haynes is a solid but he is never healthy thats he can't be counted on. He gets hurt every year it seems like. I'm all for the drafting of a legit power RB. You need depth at RB.

If Willie goes down with major injury then the Steelers will be trouble thats why they better think about drafting a RB.

yeah that's kinda why i'm hoping we get one in the second round, i don't mind if we go another direction in the 2nd round, but if there isn't anyone better, and maybe if bush, hunt, or that white boy lol, is sitting there we might as well get one cause the depth is much needed, especially with it not being a guarantee that dookie will be back........... i just hope i don't hear a million rumors about us trading to get Duckett.........

big d
01-30-2007, 04:29 PM

I agree that his leg is an issue. I love willie parker but I would rather have a power back like bettis. It's weird having a speed back in our backfield.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-30-2007, 04:40 PM
I agree that his leg is an issue. I love willie parker but I would rather have a power back like bettis. It's weird having a speed back in our backfield.

I'm fine with Parker as the starter. I'm just worried about depth. I don't even count Haynes since I'm sure he will be hurt again. As for Dookie, he is a solid player but not a guy that I would want carrying the load of Parker went down. So drafting a RB especially a power back would be nice.

That would give us depth and a guy that spell Fast Willie so he doesn't get broke down. I know he hasn't had alot of miles on him. But that can change in the NFL.

SteelerDan43
01-30-2007, 04:43 PM
i'd rather have hunt.....i like bush, but i'm being scared off by he leg injury.......... i don't know if he's gonna be the same, or if he's gonna be a pussy and be tentative running the ball.......

Just remember what happened to Mcgahee, I see this as much the same situation if not better as Bush's injury was not as severe

58Lambert
01-30-2007, 06:19 PM
So far I donít see anything official yet about his release. But, I do hope we keep him for one more season at least. Yes as mentioned heís injury prone, but his yds/carry is pretty good when he gets the ball. He does have great size and should run like a tank (as BnG32 mentioned), but he doesnít. Iíve seen him run outa bounds instead of finishing it off Steeler style. We need to give him the ball more, between him and Willie 50-50. We need a LB and OL in the first couple rounds, then think about getting an RB after.

Koopa
01-30-2007, 06:20 PM
we won't release him, he's not under contract anymore....he had only signed a one year deal with us

58Lambert
01-30-2007, 06:26 PM
... and another thing, all this talk about drafting a quality RB. Well, the old theory still applies... it's no good having a great RB if you don't have the blocking!! Our OL is gettin' too old...

Koopa
01-30-2007, 06:29 PM
it got younger by the retiring of harting.....we still have some young players that did decent when given the chance.....i'm not to worried about the line as most...... cowher was just being stubborn and not wanting to put the young talent in even when the oline/assistant head coach said they should........ we'll be back next year

58Lambert
01-30-2007, 06:47 PM
Koop, do you think Okobi is Pro Bowl quality like Hartings is? Also, Faneca is going into his 10th year and who is his backup, Essex (unproven to me)???? Since, Steelers football is running between the tackles, we need a quality C and LG to replace Hartings and Faneca.

Koopa
01-30-2007, 06:59 PM
maybe, you never know, chuk wun has never got the real chance to show what he really has........ faneca may be in his 10th year but he still has a good year or 2 left him in baring injury....... so i'm not worried about the left side at all......and we have some youth for the right side that could be good given a real chance........ i wouldn't mind going olinemen in one of the first few rounds, but i don't want us to reach just cause we might need it........ after seeing all the post senior bowl stuff on levi brown, i wouldn't mind him getting drafted by us......but i think we'll go defense in the first round.......

58Lambert
01-30-2007, 07:04 PM
... after seeing all the post senior bowl stuff on levi brown, i wouldn't mind him getting drafted by us.

I'm with you there... can't go wrong with a Joe Paterno Penn State player, especially one in the trenches :bigthumb:

kgreen
02-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Sorry if it's been posted, but rumor has it he's gone, any truth to this??

TXS

I don't think he's gone. I think he's still here.:tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Right with ya Koopa, I think the left side will be fine and we have good players already to take over on the right. It will take some times for these guys to gel but once they do we could have something really special.