PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger listed as Questionable - UPDATE 11/14: Officially OUT, no timetable for return yet

BlitzburghRockCity
11-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Ben officially listed as Questionable with shoulder sprain. Specifically an SC Joint issue, as described below.

In Tomlin's weekly presser he said nothing more than it's classified as a shoulder sprain and he is questionable as of now. There are reports that Ben is getting another MRI today but as of now Tomlin was his usual vague self in terms of his status.

What is a sternoclavicular joint injury?
Sternoclavicular (SC) joint injury consists of ligament trauma to the joint connecting the breastbone [sternum] and the collarbone [clavicle]). It is an uncommon injury.

When a ligament is subjected to acute strain, it may either stretch or tear, partially or completely. Such tearing of a ligament is known as a sprain and ranges from microscopic injury to complete disruption. This injury can occur either at its insertion on either bone, but most commonly occurs in its mid-substance. The sprain may result in partial joint displacement (“subluxation”) or complete separation of the joint surfaces (“dislocation”). Displacement can occur either anteriorly (collarbone translates towards the front) or posteriorly (collarbone displaces towards the back).

SnakeEyes43
11-13-2012, 01:18 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/58970/tomlin-big-ben-questionable-for-ravens

Like BRC stated, no real news. Just Tomlin being Tomlin.

Hopefully it's a minor sprain, and the fact that he is questionable sounds good. Or is that just fasle hope?

chisteeler
11-13-2012, 02:01 PM
I know I will probably get some flack for this, and with Ben's history of being able to play through an injury, but the more I watched the tackle and and started thinking about the birth of their child close to the Ravens game and Tomlin's uncertainty of the injury, do you think it is possible that Ben played up the extent of the injury to be able to miss the game for his son's birth? I know he got the blessing from the ownership and his teammates to be there for his wife, but do you feel he needs a "legitimate" excuse such as an injury to miss the game to satisfy some unruly fans? Just seems very coincidental with the timing of the injury and the game and the birth. Personally, I am okay with him missing the game for his family. Plus I hope the injury is not too severe.
Thoughts??

Blazedby92
11-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Over the years Ben has been a drama king with his injuries, im sure he got hurt a little but he likes to remind people he is Superman and will play through his injury

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

SnakeEyes43
11-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Do you think it is possible that Ben played up the extent of the injury to be able to miss the game for his son's birth? I know he got the blessing from the ownership and his teammates to be there for his wife, but do you feel he needs a "legitimate" excuse such as an injury to miss the game to satisfy some unruly fans? Just seems very coincidental with the timing of the injury and the game and the birth.
Thoughts??

I thought that too for a second last night. But in reality, Ben doesn't need an excuse to see his son be born. I think he would just say that he isn't playing. I just hope he doesn't miss the first Rats game because of injury and then the second because of the birth.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-13-2012, 04:19 PM
I thought that for a second as well, but yeah Ben doesn't need excuses. He's told them he's not going to miss a game and that's that. He doesn't care if the fans agree with it or not, and there's no reason that he should.

Clevelandsux
11-13-2012, 09:40 PM
i have feeling ben will be out there sunday night,

LatrobePA
11-13-2012, 10:35 PM
i have feeling ben will be out there sunday night,

Same here...

DBR96A
11-13-2012, 11:38 PM
I don't want him out there if the injury is going to affect his ability to practice or throw.

LarryNJ
11-14-2012, 12:06 AM
I know I will probably get some flack for this, and with Ben's history of being able to play through an injury, but the more I watched the tackle and and started thinking about the birth of their child close to the Ravens game and Tomlin's uncertainty of the injury, do you think it is possible that Ben played up the extent of the injury to be able to miss the game for his son's birth? I know he got the blessing from the ownership and his teammates to be there for his wife, but do you feel he needs a "legitimate" excuse such as an injury to miss the game to satisfy some unruly fans? Just seems very coincidental with the timing of the injury and the game and the birth. Personally, I am okay with him missing the game for his family. Plus I hope the injury is not too severe.
Thoughts??

I think that there's about .001% chance of that being true. I understand that he wants to be with his wife on that day. But he also want to win a Super Bowl. He is very close to going down as one of the best of all time. 1 more ring and he's there in every conversation. 2 more rings and he's now in the top 3 or 4 of all time.

troy96
11-14-2012, 09:50 AM
My SC joint it trashed, and Im getting surgery on my AC joint next week. I would be able to play regardless, its painful but not debilitating.
Ben will suck it up and play. If not he may as well start tucking his junk between his legs to see how he looks like a woman.

cmerrifield
11-14-2012, 09:54 AM
They are reporting that Ben's officially out.

sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk 2

LatrobePA
11-14-2012, 10:01 AM
They are reporting that Ben's officially out.

I heard he may not be ready for the 2nd ravens meeting...

cmerrifield
11-14-2012, 10:23 AM
I heard he may not be ready for the 2nd ravens meeting...

That's all speculation, Favre had same injury when he was 40 and played 3 weeks later. The Steelers are not releasing the degree of the sprain, so it could be one week or it could be the season, depending on severity.

LatrobePA
11-14-2012, 10:24 AM
That's all speculation, Favre had same injury when he was 40 and played 3 weeks later. The Steelers are not releasing the degree of the sprain, so it could be one week or it could be the season, depending on severity.

That would be three weeks later and the 2nd ravens game..

Zachintosh66
11-14-2012, 11:31 AM
Its official Leftwhich is starting...

Seen a cpl things this morn on twitter saying Ben will be out a month, anyone heard anything similar?

LatrobePA
11-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Its official Leftwhich is starting...

Seen a cpl things this morn on twitter saying Ben will be out a month, anyone heard anything similar?

Now a serious rib issue on top of the shoulder.

Speeed
11-14-2012, 12:53 PM
You are not a multi-million dollar a year athlete whose livelihood depends on health. Neither will you be hit by 250 - 300 lb men running at full speed. And I heard that there are different degrees of sprain, tear, whatever. Maybe yours was not as bad. Or indeed, you are tougher?

My SC joint it trashed, and Im getting surgery on my AC joint next week. I would be able to play regardless, its painful but not debilitating.
Ben will suck it up and play. If not he may as well start tucking his junk between his legs to see how he looks like a woman.

coldrolled
11-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Ok, when we lose big... Do we start letting all the young guys play and get something out of this year?

A good draft pick... More game time for 54,93,90,55,97,65 Let DD go for the year, try ryan lee at G... Start the youth movement. Draft a QB this year?? Foles - Osweiler type.

Lefty cant pull this off... We are done.

I hope im wrong.. But really I have no faith in our backup QB's

KSSteelerfan
11-14-2012, 01:59 PM
Not wanting anything to happen to Leftwich but in the unlikely event he were to get hurt...who then do you turn to if Batch doesn't get to play QB?

Big T
11-14-2012, 02:06 PM
@EdBouchette: #Steelers Ben Roethlisberger has a rare rib injury that could kill him by pressing against his aorta. Too big risk. Has to wait until heals

@EdBouchette: #Steelers Roethlisberger said today it's so rare that the last time dr. told him it occurred was with rugby player in 1998

@EdBouchette: #Roethlisberger's rib is partially dislocated and of more concern than the shoulder. Don't look for him to play in awhile. #Steelers

steelersbabex25
11-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Nooooooo

Big T
11-14-2012, 02:20 PM
@AdamSchefter: Ben Roethlisberger identified the rare and dangerous rib injury: a dislocated first rib that could have pressed against his aorta.

steelersbabex25
11-14-2012, 02:21 PM
So are they saying that he could have died on the field from this injury?

Crowned
11-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Sounds to me like he will at least miss the rest of this season, hopefully not longer.

steelersbabex25
11-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Time to pick up a quarterback that isn't Byron Leftwich or Charlie Batch..

terrible.towel43
11-14-2012, 02:39 PM
football is really unimportant for the Roethlisberger family when a matter is this serious. I wouldn't ever want him to rush back in these circumstances. I wish him a full and speedy recovery

Big T
11-14-2012, 02:40 PM
@AdamSchefter: Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger said he does not believe his rib injury is season ending but he is unsure when he'll play again.

LatrobePA
11-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Get well Ben! I 100% support him!

steelersgal86
11-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Get well Ben! I 100% support him!

:ditto:

chisteeler
11-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Hoping for a healthy and full recovery. Is Dennis Dixon busy anywhere?

coldrolled
11-14-2012, 03:20 PM
Hoping for a healthy and full recovery. Is Dennis Dixon busy anywhere?

Ravens i heard signed him back this week,

VTSteelerfan
11-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Ben Roethlisberger has a rare rib injury that could kill him by pressing against his aorta. Too big risk. Has to wait until heals..
This is not good news..

chisteeler
11-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Ravens i heard signed him back this week,

Thanks for the update.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-14-2012, 04:13 PM
Yeah this is not good, ribs healing just takes time, but this crazy injury could be a couple weeks or he might not be back until closer to Christmas. I'm thinking they won't think of bringing him back for atleast a few weeks even if he would be feeling better.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-14-2012, 05:34 PM
Another piece to this, Ben also said today that doctors will not clear him to return until his rib is completely healed...rumors put that up to 6 weeks.

If that is the case and it takes that long we won't see him until the Bengals game, 2nd to last of the regular season.

Clevelandsux
11-14-2012, 06:23 PM
if we lose ben. were f'd!

scudmissile29
11-14-2012, 06:25 PM
Put him on IR, just start again next season. Yes it's very early but in all honesty, we don't need to risk him getting hurt further.

SnakeEyes43
11-14-2012, 07:26 PM
Read on twitter that the last case of this specific rib injury was a rugby player in 1998! WTF! Why god, why? lol.

LatrobePA
11-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette doesn't expect Roethlisberger to play for a while.

The seasons change, but one thing remains the same. No one does drama in Pittsburgh quite like Big Ben . This rib injury just might cost the Steelers any chance at winning the AFC North

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal .

SteelerCountry58
11-14-2012, 09:03 PM
Cases like this rare rib injury,you don't risk rushing back. His health is more
important then football. The way Ben plays he can't take a chance of getting
nailed again in that area especially with the way our O line plays at times.

Yeah,I'm pissed off that we are forced to send Leftbitch out there( Wish we
had a better backup option) but like Tomlin likes to say..."It is what it is".
You know Byron will go down too,then Batch etc... These guys folded almost
like a deck of cards not too long ago when they were forced into action.

Buckle up people,things are going to get rough. Hopefully the team rallies
and can salvage the season with Ben coming back down the road.:crossfingers:

LevonKirkland99
11-15-2012, 12:42 AM
I read about Ben's injury and it ( the rib injury) looks very serious. I think he may he out for the rest of this year. I look forward to the 2013 draft.

EfF you KC

Black@Gold Forever32
11-15-2012, 01:43 AM
Told everyone the other night it had to be pretty serious for Ben to at least not comeback in to play and to even leave the stadium for further tests......Really there is no point to play him the rest the season.......

SuperSteelers
11-15-2012, 02:17 AM
Another piece to this, Ben also said today that doctors will not clear him to return until his rib is completely healed...rumors put that up to 6 weeks.

If that is the case and it takes that long we won't see him until the Bengals game, 2nd to last of the regular season.

6 weeks for a broken rib? I had a cracked rib and couldn't lift anything for a couple of months and had lingering pain on that side for like a year. I would say his season is done following this injury.

K Train
11-15-2012, 07:41 AM
6 weeks for a broken rib? I had a cracked rib and couldn't lift anything for a couple of months and had lingering pain on that side for like a year. I would say his season is done following this injury.

a broken rib would be better than a loose dislocated one near his heart

North Steel
11-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Can you have a rib removed? and I'm not trying to be mean or selfish in any way,I'm just saying to have a dislocated rib seems like this could possibly happen again and he might not be so lucky the next time.

LevonKirkland99
11-15-2012, 09:36 PM
I'm just curious though, I look at someone like Flacco or Dolton and they are not getting hurt like Ben does. Is this because he tries to extend plays and holdsnyo the ball too long or...?

LatrobePA
11-16-2012, 12:12 AM
Can you have a rib removed? and I'm not trying to be mean or selfish in any way,I'm just saying to have a dislocated rib seems like this could possibly happen again and he might not be so lucky the next time.

Yes if you want to fold yourself in half for self pleasure...

DIESELMAN
11-16-2012, 01:34 AM
Really there is no point to play him the rest the season.......
I agree.....Take the rest of the year off, enjoy your baby and wife while you still can. Ben is the toughest SOB in the NFL, he's going to need some wise people to let him know he is done for the year.

connecticutsteel
11-16-2012, 04:27 AM
Over the years Ben has been a drama king with his injuries, im sure he got hurt a little but he likes to remind people he is Superman and will play through his injury

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
how could anyone say he's a drama king the man has been sacked more times in 8 years than brady and manning in 13 yrs combine to me he a tough sob who has played hurt because the alternative is worse (leftwich or batch)

connecticutsteel
11-16-2012, 04:29 AM
I'm just curious though, I look at someone like Flacco or Dolton and they are not getting hurt like Ben does. Is this because he tries to extend plays and holdsnyo the ball too long or...?

no it's because we had a ****** o-line for his whole career

coldrolled
11-16-2012, 08:44 AM
no it's because we had a ****** o-line for his whole career

What did he do in this collision, he ran out of his pocket, then instead of killing the play.. He ran pack into the pocket and got crushed. Usually when he gets hurt he is running around...

LatrobePA
11-16-2012, 10:00 AM
Ben kills himself. The browns game last year and this play both could of been prevented by simply throwing it away. But that's Ben, you gotta take the good with the bad..

Black@Gold Forever32
11-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Yes Ben does hold onto the ball still at times but this rib injury was really a fluke type injury......Last one sports related one was in 1998.....Just bad luck really.....

strummerfan
11-16-2012, 10:38 PM
Yes Ben does hold onto the ball still at times but this rib injury was really a fluke type injury......Last one sports related one was in 1998.....Just bad luck really.....

Have you forgotten about last years high ankle sprain?

Root4Stlrs
11-16-2012, 11:59 PM
Ben rates his pain 9 on scale of 1 to 10 and has had to sit up to sleep. I don't think he is a drama king. This is really a bizarre injury.

steelers4life66
11-17-2012, 11:35 AM
You think the ratbirds picked up Dixon to keep us from getting him?

Black@Gold Forever32
11-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Have you forgotten about last years high ankle sprain?

No I havn't but just saying its the rib injury this time why Ben is going to miss time which is a fluke injury.......like I said 1998 was the last sports related was back in 1998....That is just bad luck.......If Ben just had the AC joint injury he probably would be starting tomorrow night if not then next week for sure against the Browns.......

Big T
11-17-2012, 04:06 PM
I still don't understand the people that bitch about Ben holding on to the ball too long. If he didn't hold on to the ball as long as he does, we'd still be looking for the "one for the thumb."

coldrolled
11-17-2012, 05:29 PM
No bitchin... just like to see him play every game with no major injuries all year...

Nolrog
11-17-2012, 07:17 PM
I still don't understand the people that bitch about Ben holding on to the ball too long. If he didn't hold on to the ball as long as he does, we'd still be looking for the "one for the thumb."

There's a place in between throwing it away and holding on to it until you get sacked. There are many plays where he holds it for 8 or more seconds when he should just throw it away. The result of those is usually a sack or an interception on a poorly thrown/forced ball.

Big T
11-17-2012, 07:31 PM
There's a place in between throwing it away and holding on to it until you get sacked. There are many plays where he holds it for 8 or more seconds when he should just throw it away. The result of those is usually a sack or an interception on a poorly thrown/forced ball.

Or the game winning TD in the Super Bowl. I don't know what Ben Roethlsiberger you're watching. It seems like everytime he does it, it results in a TD or big play. We've seen it time and time again. Take the good with the bad. I'll take a sack or an INT occasionally if it means game winning plays and Super Bowls.