PDA

View Full Version : Need or Best Available ?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-30-2007, 01:44 AM
In the past the Steelers have usually taken the strategy of drafting for what we need and taking the best player they can get to fill that need first, and then going for the "best available" usually on day 2 for the most part.

Since Colbert is still on staff and has a big influence in who we pick ; I wonder how much of a difference we'll see in draft strategy this April, if any difference at all...

What's you're take, Best available or draft for need ?

Koopa
01-30-2007, 01:46 AM
in the first 2 rounds i really want us to take what we need, however, i don't want us to reach in the second round just cause we kinda need it....... so after the first round i say best available player there

Steelersfan
01-30-2007, 01:54 AM
"Best player available" is just to general to me. I've always said take the best player for what you need. There are different ways of going about that. Most of it depends on where you pick, how many picks you have and where your need is.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-30-2007, 01:58 AM
Ive always though that on Day 1 you take what you need first unless there is no good candidate worthy of the round you're in so you don't reach for a guy like Koopa mentioned; in which case you wait for him to drop hopefully or take another position of need in that round.

On Day 2 it's all about finding the best guys you can to fill your depth areas of need first, then if you still have picks left just take the best guys you can find.

Steelersfan
01-30-2007, 02:06 AM
Ive always though that on Day 1 you take what you need first unless there is no good candidate worthy of the round you're in so you don't reach for a guy like Koopa mentioned; in which case you wait for him to drop hopefully or take another position of need in that round.

On Day 2 it's all about finding the best guys you can to fill your depth areas of need first, then if you still have picks left just take the best guys you can find.

I can agree with that. :bigthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-30-2007, 02:11 AM
But if you're dead set on taking a certain position and all the top talent from that position is gone then you're reaching. I don't like that at all. The Steelers did that in 1999 in the first round with Troy Edwards. They needed a WR and were dead set on drafting one and they reached. When they could have traded down to get more picks and still draft Troy Edwards.

I think the Steelers need a pass rusher at OLB. But say if all the top guys are gone then drafting say an Adam Carriker would be wise or a top Olineman.

Steelx
01-30-2007, 08:13 AM
I love this thread. Good post I went with best available.

TEEMONT
01-30-2007, 08:56 AM
I agree with koop, although I think there is so much talent where we need it in this draft, that there really isn't much of a reach on day 1. Day 2 go with best available, but fill the needs.

AZ_Steeler
01-30-2007, 11:02 AM
First round picks are more often than not overrated and over paid! I say 'Who cares just get us some Day 2 picks that actually make the team and contribute!'

House of Steel
01-30-2007, 11:05 AM
I say going with the best available player with the position we need filled or need depth with. I also agree with Chris on the Day 2 selections, we do need the picks that could make the team and contribute.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-30-2007, 11:25 AM
But if you're dead set on taking a certain position and all the top talent from that position is gone then you're reaching. I don't like that at all. The Steelers did that in 1999 in the first round with Troy Edwards. They needed a WR and were dead set on drafting one and they reached. When they could have traded down to get more picks and still draft Troy Edwards.

I think the Steelers need a pass rusher at OLB. But say if all the top guys are gone then drafting say an Adam Carriker would be wise or a top Olineman.

Troy Edwards a was major reach, so was other players like for example Scott Shields too. We took him in Round 2 I believe and he was a bust but Cowher thought he was a great guy so he snagged him. If you absolutely have to have a certain position because you need it, then you have to find a way to get one of the guys you want whether that means trading up like we did for Polamalu because you know he's pretty much a sure thing, but that usually on works on day 1 and even then that's not guaranteed. So you're other option is wait for another less sure prospect to drop into a later round and then see what you can get in the FA market. Reaching for players is a major risk in most any round because you really never know but that's why teams have so many guys going around and scouting college players all the time to try and get that edge.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-30-2007, 02:49 PM
Yes Top, Shields was a 2nd round pick. That was another wasted pick. I just don't want to see anymore wasted picks.

K Train
01-30-2007, 04:15 PM
1st or second round we need an olb, after that we dont have gaping holes. but we should draft sepulveda to be our franchise punter lol

DIESELMAN
01-30-2007, 10:41 PM
First day.....OLB/DE and OL. Definitely get what we need and then go from there depending whats there. No reaches dammit...quality quality quality especially in day 2!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-30-2007, 10:45 PM
:plus1: :iagree: Reaching is not something that Tomlin needs to think about doing at all especially this being his first draft and us coming off a sub par season.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-30-2007, 10:52 PM
Plus when you start thinking about some of the players ages on defense the whole Dline and LB core is starting to age.

BlackGold4vr
01-31-2007, 04:26 PM
Gotta address needs first or else your perceived weaknesses remain unchanged going into the season. Lets face it rooks don't play a lot anyway so your draft needs are hopefully addressing perceived needs of the future. The teams that are drafting need players who they must start, those are teams in some trouble! Second day draft picks can be wants and projects. I would like to see us pick up that franchise punter. :lol: Daniel Sepulveda can get a foot on the ball! It might be funny but some of those old time Raiders know what a great punter can do for your special teams (Ray Guy). Great punts can be momentum changers!

:beer3:

BBG7
01-31-2007, 04:29 PM
I voted for the best player available...however, if it is really in an area we don't need to address then, I say take the best in what we need. They didn't give me that option!