PDA

View Full Version : Most over-rated head coach?

Stone
11-09-2012, 04:50 PM
I recently read that Rex Ryan was voted the most over-rated head coach?

I have said for seven years that Marvin Lewis is the most over-rated head coach in the NFL.

He has a .477 winning percentage in his tenure with the Bengals and is 0-3 in the playoffs.

Keep in mind he has amassed this impressive record with some very talented teams which are picked to make the playoffs virtually every year.

I don't remember much about him when he was here but I know he wasn't a household name.

How the hell does he keep his job?

Goodfrom55
11-09-2012, 05:10 PM
That's fair, but remember, Rex is the only head coach that continually tells the media theyre going to the super bowl or this is the best team he's ever had, etc. Also, head coach goes beyond wins and losses; it's how he handles the locker room, adversity and things like that.

Some HC's are better off being coordinators of their respected craft.

Cowher was never a strong X's and O's guy, but his teams won and he was widely respected in the NFL.

steelchamp204
11-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Mike Shanahan

Clevelandsux
11-09-2012, 06:59 PM
belichick was on there too. disagree there. shanahan did all his winning with elway. belichick, we'll see what happens when bradys gone.

steelchamp204
11-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Belichick had a great season a few years back when he lost Tom Brady, He made Matt Cassel look like an MVP. I believe the Pats finished 11-5 that season but also had the easiest schedule in the league.

HUNT4SEVEN
11-09-2012, 08:08 PM
It's Rex Ryan/ BeliCHEAT hands down...

LarryNJ
11-09-2012, 09:37 PM
I wouldn't put Belichick on there. Marvin Lewis? Who ever had him as a good coach? He's lucky to be rated. You can make a case for Rex for sure. My vote goes to Andy Ried. Anyone who loses so many championship games when they are favored goes to the top of the list. Cowher was there until he finally won the SB.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Andy Reid's career has been good enough to break the Eagles fans hearts.........Comparison to Cowher is a good one........But like you said Cowher did get the monkey off his back with Super Bowl XL.......

ChucktownSteeler
11-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Rex Ryan

Haubaugh of the Ravens

BlacknGoldHaze
11-10-2012, 09:50 PM
Norv Turner or Andy Reid

LarryNJ
11-10-2012, 11:29 PM
Norv made me think of Marty Schottenheimer

Nolrog
11-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Norv Turner.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-11-2012, 11:29 PM
Mike Shanahan

I know one thing, the Redskins fans are getting wrestless with Shanahan. He's been there what, 3 or 4 years now and they still aren't any better. I know RGIII is the future but that team has ZERO depth at most of the key positions across the board.

If they don't at least have a respectable season he might be out in Washington.

steelchamp204
11-12-2012, 06:40 AM
I know one thing, the Redskins fans are getting wrestless with Shanahan. He's been there what, 3 or 4 years now and they still aren't any better. I know RGIII is the future but that team has ZERO depth at most of the key positions across the board.

If they don't at least have a respectable season he might be out in Washington.

Has it been that long now? Holy crap. Well I know he went through Grossman,McNabb and another I believe. Man them years flew by. They just dont build that team right down in Wsh Dc,

Raleigh Steel
11-12-2012, 08:02 AM
Has it been that long now? Holy crap. Well I know he went through Grossman,McNabb and another I believe. Man them years flew by. They just dont build that team right down in Wsh Dc,

There are A LOT of things they don't do right in DC :lol:

Njsteelersnut
11-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Defiantely Andy Reid is up there, he has to be one the worst game day coaches ever, i dont think he knows what an in-game adjustment is.

elephantman
11-12-2012, 10:40 AM
I wouldn't put Belichick on there. Marvin Lewis? Who ever had him as a good coach? He's lucky to be rated. You can make a case for Rex for sure. My vote goes to Andy Ried. Anyone who loses so many championship games when they are favored goes to the top of the list. Cowher was there until he finally won the SB.

Reid never had an Elite QB and u cant win without one (mcnabb = good , Vick sucks)

Rex Ryan won 4 playoff games in 3 yrs with Mark Sanchez (as a Rookie nonetheless). His Mouth gets in the way, but the Guy could coach..they have a talent problem and thats before we look at the QB.....He beat us in 2010 and came within 1 Big Ben play from proly playing in SB to a GreenBay team that they held to 9 points the same yr (ya they lost lol but)

LarryNJ
11-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Reid never had an Elite QB and u cant win without one (mcnabb = good , Vick sucks)

I spent the last 12 years watching him. McNabb wasn't the problem. While maybe not elite he certainly was good enough to win a SB. He had Westbrook in the backfield and passed 75 percent of the time. I agree Vick sucks but Reid brought him on. They have McCoy and still pass crazy. Andy Reid hired and O line coach to be a D coordinator, he never adjust during the game. He's terrible and way over rated.

Steveo
11-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Norv Turner or Andy Reid

Norv Turner has my vote hands down. He's looked bad with two teams now.

Stone
11-12-2012, 01:40 PM
I strongly disagree with the comparison to Cowher. Granted, he drove us all crazy with his huge winning percentage and horrible record in the big games, but he took scrub teams and made them competitive....more than a couple times. An over-rated coach doesn't do that.

An over-rated coach keeps getting the opportunity to try again after he took a talented team to a non-playoff season.