PDA

View Full Version : Steelers and Emmanuel Sanders both fined for "cramp gate" 2012

BlitzburghRockCity
11-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Adam Schefter reported this afternoon that both the team and Sanders were fined for the leg cramps incident 2 weeks ago against Cincy.

NFL fined Steelers $35,000 and wide receiver Emanuel Sanders $15,000 for him faking an injury against Bengals.

Maurkice Pouncey retweeted that with "BS".

Stone
11-09-2012, 02:09 PM
How much were the Giants fined when half the team dropped to the carpet?

I'd like to see what the hand signal is for "somebody fake and injury and hurry up!"

chisteeler
11-09-2012, 02:10 PM
In a related story the NFL fined James Harrison for witnessing the Cramp an additional $50,000.00.

LatrobePA
11-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Wow! If this doesn't show favoritism! F U Goodell!

jpele
11-09-2012, 02:18 PM
Besides the fines, Sanders was ordered to attend acting classes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big T
11-09-2012, 02:21 PM
No disciplinary actions taken against the Giants last season, just a warning to all NFL teams about it. Many players are quoted saying that every team does it.

"I've been places where it has been (taught)," said Browns linebacker Scott Fujita, a member of the players' union executive committee. "They have a name for it and I've been places where it's been pre-called. I've been places where it's one player who has been designated. Maybe I'm getting everyone in trouble, but I'm just being honest."

While calling it "real bush league" -- no pun intended -- Dolphins running back Reggie Bush said a coach "just designates a guy who fakes an injury. It's usually not a captain of the team. It's a guy who's expendable."

In the memo obtained by ESPN and The Associated Press, the NFL reminded teams of league policy that calls on coaches to discourage the practice, and that there was no specific rule on the topic.

However, two days after there was speculation the Giants' Deon Grant faked an injury against the Rams during the Monday night game, the NFL is warning of disciplinary action.

"It's always been in the game," Ravens All-Pro safety Ed Reed said. "It's all tactical stuff you need to use. Whatever it takes. ... If you're tired, you're tired. You get a break however you can."

Added 49ers running back Frank Gore: "Hey, I feel if it helps, do it. I'm bound to do it. Whatever it takes to win ..."

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=7000274

Dee Mca
11-09-2012, 02:52 PM
I heard Abby Lee Miller also offers acting classes so when Manny is there getting his "Southside" dance lessons he can take an acting class or 20!

SnakeEyes43
11-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Goodell is a

:nova2:

scudmissile29
11-09-2012, 03:30 PM
good that he was fined.

stamp out faking before it goes like soccer.

Clevelandsux
11-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Everyone knows he was faking. Bad acting. Not the first team to do this.

Clevelandsux
11-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Link:

http://www.cbssports.com/general/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20907420/steelers-wr-emmanuel-sanders-fined-50000-for-faking-injury

Talk about a painful cramp ... in the pocketbook.

The Steelers and WR Emmanuel Sanders were informed by the NFL on Friday that they are being fined a total of $50,000 for feigning an injury during a win at Cincinnati on Oct. 21.

Sanders grabbed the back of his leg and fell to the ground while in the huddle during the fourth quarter while Pittsburgh was driving in what turned out to be a 24-17 win over the Bengals. The act, in effect, saved the Steelers a timeout. Sanders was back on the field two plays later, showing no signs of the severe pain he appeared to be in prior.

The league acknowledged that Sanders had no previous history with cramps in his career or in that game. It also noted that Sanders out-ran his teammates on his first play back on the field, downing a punt, and that he played the rest of the game -- and the games since -- without any known injury.

"Despite the account given by Sanders during our November 2nd meeting, neither the video sequence of the pertinent plays nor the observations of the on-field official support Sanders's contention that he was in severe pain, either before, while falling to the ground, lying on the ground, or when he was being assisted in leaving the field," NFL Executive Vice President of Football Operations Ray Anderson wrote in an open letter to Sanders and Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert.

Sanders was fined $15,000 and the organization $35,000. Anderson said the penalty to the team would have been "substantially more" if it had been found that "that the club, or any member of its coaching or administrative staff, has taught, suggested, instructed, or condoned the faking of injuries or any other competitive deception."

The league sent a memo to all its teams Sept. 25 in which it urged players and coaches to frown upon the faking of injuries. With player safety an increasingly sensitive issue, the NFL does not want legitimately injured players to feel pressure to get off the field in situations where, for example, a mandatory timeout or yardage would be assessed as a penalty.

"As a result, teams were urged to cooperate with the rule," Anderson said.

In the days immediately following the Bengals game, Sanders would laugh when the alleged injury-faking was brought up -- most notably during a radio appearance that week. But after the league informed him it wanted to discuss the incident early last week, Sanders was less willing to discuss it publicly, instead repeatedly saying the matter was being handled "in-house."

Sanders, meanwhile, is on track to be the Steelers' No. 2 receiver Monday night against the Chiefs. WR Antonio Brown has not yet practiced this week after sustaining an ankle injury in Sunday's win over the New York Giants.

A third-round pick like Pittsburgh WR Mike Wallace was the year before, Sanders was taken three rounds before Brown was in 2010. A foot injury last season contributed to Sanders being limited to more of a complementary role while Wallace and Brown ascended to stardom (both went to the Pro Bowl last season; Brown was voted team MVP).

Sanders maintains he's healthy now. Although Monday will officially be his fourth career start, it will be the first game in which Sanders will enter as one of Pittsburgh's top two receivers.

"Everybody knew that he was a guy that if he was to stay healthy, he would be able to make plays for this team," said veteran WR Jerricho Cotchery, who himself is being bumped up into the No. 3 receiver role. "And that's what he's doing now."

steelersbabex25
11-09-2012, 08:18 PM
You realize that signal probably came from someone on the sidelines, right?

LarryNJ
11-09-2012, 08:29 PM
What did AB get fined for? And how much?

ChucktownSteeler
11-09-2012, 08:35 PM
Was it Brown or Sanders? BS fine anyway. Next time a player is truly hurt he may think twice about coming out. F-you Goodell.

LarryNJ
11-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Sanders got fined for fake injury.

TESS743
11-09-2012, 08:57 PM
Well, since he was fined for the so-called fake injury, it was'nt for showboating (which I have no problem with, since these guys are basically 1 horrific injury away from never being able to play football again.)
Did he admit to faking the injury?

steelersbabex25
11-09-2012, 09:06 PM
I'm just going to go ahead and change this thread because it was Sanders.

TESS743
11-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Maybe I'm looking at this with my steeler glasses on, but you would think that the league would have given him and the team a warning first. I really thought that he had a cramp, since they can come on suddenly. Goodell sure likes collecting money from the steelers.

terrible.towel43
11-09-2012, 11:05 PM
thread title is misleading; sanders wasn't fined 50 000 he was fined 15000 team was fined 35000

steelersbabex25
11-09-2012, 11:30 PM
thread title is misleading; sanders wasn't fined 50 000 he was fined 15000 team was fined 35000

Happy??

Number99
11-10-2012, 11:24 AM
So did he admit it? Did anyone else say he said he was lying? Whether it was bad acting or not if they can't prove he didn't have a cramp it's BS he gets a fine. This kind of goes like this, Players have faked injuries before, but until a Steeler does it we won't hand out a fine. Goodell the anti-christ.

coach
11-10-2012, 01:44 PM
He should have just got the fine for gross stupidity. I dont know how you "cramp up" and then come out on the next play and run a fly pattern down the field. Proof is not required. It looked like he was faking and we all knew it was coming.

Now, I want somone to fine that guy in the black and white jersey who was fakin like he was a real football offical who threw the flag on that helmet to helmet hit in the end zone where the contact was clearly in the ribs. That guy was seriously faking, too.

connecticutsteel
11-10-2012, 02:20 PM
I would appeal this fine there is no way that they can prove that he didn't have a cramp because he could cramp up then sprint down the field that is possible this is total bullshit whether he did or did not cramp up .you can't fine a player for an injury.If that is the case then they should fine the patriots for jeff demps faking an injury so he could be put on injured reserve instead of being exposed by being added to the practice squad. but then again that is the Pats and this is the Steelers.where is the suspension or fine for the DB from the Redskins after being ejected for mouthing off to the official but they fine Sanders 15 g's what a joke

coldrolled
11-10-2012, 02:28 PM
does anyone know what the fines were when 3 or 4 giants all collapsed in the end zone last year??

steelchamp204
11-10-2012, 02:38 PM
does anyone know what the fines were when 3 or 4 giants all collapsed in the end zone last year??

It was a warning to them and the league after there incident.

Real Deal Steel
11-10-2012, 07:13 PM
I"m tired of Adolph Hitler Goodall always going after our team. I would love for someone to kidnap his *** and do some pulp fiction stuff to him.

Real Deal Steel
11-10-2012, 07:18 PM
All I know is that I want something bad to happen to Adolph Hitler Goodall. Seriously. I"m tired of him picking on us. I want to do to his feet what that women did to that guy in the movie, " Misery". That's how mad I am at Goodall and all the **** he's done to us. And I'm not the violent type but he keeps ****ing with us.

ChucktownSteeler
11-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Bring out the gimp.

BlacknGoldHaze
11-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Besides the fines, Sanders was ordered to attend acting classes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:lol: Now that's funny!

BlacknGoldHaze
11-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Bring out the gimp.

Chuck, Gimping ain't easy!

ChucktownSteeler
11-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Chuck, Gimping ain't easy!

Regime has it down pat.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-12-2012, 08:37 AM
By not appealing you are basically admitting guilt, so I agree he should appeal it but I have hard time believing the NFL is going to do anything other than slightly reduce the fine, if that. They love making an example out of the Steelers.

Real Deal Steel
11-12-2012, 10:28 AM
They sure do Blitz.