PDA

View Full Version : I don't care what anybody says, the Steel Curtain was the best

BlitzburghRockCity
01-30-2007, 12:56 AM
Watching all these previous super bowl wins on NFLN along with all the America's Game series and just from what I know there is ZERO doubt in my mind that the all time best defense, PERIOD, BAR NONE, was the Steel Curtain of the 70's. Just seeing the way these guys played with a mean, nasty, Im going to kick your *** because you're in my way, kind of attitude is something no defense has been able to duplicate to date. There was no frills, no tricks, just flat out tough, kick ***, you're going down and nobody is going to intimidate us defense that virtually nobody could match up with. We proved it with 4 Championships !

The only team to win 4 SB's in 6 years if my memory serves me correct. Whether you refer to Holmes, Greenwood, Mean Joe and Mad Dog as the Steel Curtain, or whether you think more like Mike Wagner who feels the entire defense was the Steel Curtain, it makes no difference because if these guys played today they would kill everyone.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-30-2007, 01:00 AM
I hope your not looking for an argument about this !

Steelx
01-30-2007, 01:01 AM
Was thinking the same thing black n gold

BlitzburghRockCity
01-30-2007, 01:02 AM
Hell no, no argument..After I watched the 1975 Steelers on America's Game and hearing what team like Dallas, Cincy, Cleveland, and the like who tried to say that we weren't all that back in the day and then seeing the games and knowing full well that those teams in that decade knew when they played us; it was going to be a blood bath !

Black@Gold Forever32
01-30-2007, 01:03 AM
Well the interesting thing is the 1976 defense was probally the Steelers best defense and they didn't even win the Super Bowl since injuries struck Franco and Rocky in the play-offs. If those injuries wouldn't have happend. I'm sure the Steelers would have won 5 in 6 years. But hey 4 in 6 is still great and that alone proves the Steelers had the best defense ever for any stretch of time.

Sure defenses like the 85 Bears and the 2000 Ravens had great single seasons. But the Steel Curtain did it consistently over a period of time and dominated like no other.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-30-2007, 01:05 AM
Good point 32, it's interesting that many Steeler players of that era say the 76 defense was the best ever and it sux that they didn't get a ring to show for it for that year's team too.

House of Steel
01-30-2007, 01:10 AM
I am with Matt on this one, BAR NONE!!! There is no need for an arguement, this debate has already have the victory seal. If anyone wants to try and argue about this needs their heads examined.

Steelersfan
01-30-2007, 03:04 AM
5 shutouts over the last 8 games and they allowed 22 total points. One of the most amazing 8 games by a defense of any time frame.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-30-2007, 03:06 AM
5 shutouts over the last 8 games and they allowed 22 total points. One of the most amazing 8 games by a defense of any time frame.

I don't think we will ever see that again. Especially in today's NFL.

DIESELMAN
01-30-2007, 05:50 AM
NEVER!!!!! EVER!!!!! Will you see a group of athletes who so thoroughly dominated an entire league as did the 70's Steelers. They won the first 2 SB's with defense and the 2nd of four with offense.

They ran a 9 game winning streak to end the season, outscoring everyone 234-28. Amazing is right.....so is phenomenal and will always be one of a kind, never to be duplicated. Damn I'm proud to be a Steelers fan!!!!! :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

SteelersWoman
01-30-2007, 06:05 AM
I just wish the game was allowed to be played today like it was then!

Our guys today have been almost neutered. They can't get away with ANYthing now. It's just great to be able to see all the hard hitting, bone crushing, teeth jarring action on film! If our guys even touch the opposing QB's sock it gets us a stiff penalty :scratch:

I know it's still not "easy", (there's still some decent hits) but compared to back then, it sure doesn't seem the same.

steelcurtaingal
01-30-2007, 08:59 AM
Although i wasnt alive to seee those days, i saw them n film, which was rather expensive, and i have to agree. What they did will never ever be re-done. I hear all the time that the defense wins championships. Well i think the person that said that must have seen those guys play. They royally kicked *** then steam rolled it after they were done kicking them.
I hope i live to see that come back, but i doubt i will ever see it in my life time. i love being a steelers fan!

BBG7
01-30-2007, 10:06 AM
I just wish the game was allowed to be played today like it was then!

Our guys today have been almost neutered. They can't get away with ANYthing now. It's just great to be able to see all the hard hitting, bone crushing, teeth jarring action on film! If our guys even touch the opposing QB's sock it gets us a stiff penalty :scratch:

I know it's still not "easy", (there's still some decent hits) but compared to back then, it sure doesn't seem the same.

Isn't that the truth. Football was so different back in the 70s...I was watching one of the SBs and kept thinking to myself...oh that's a penalty (but no) It was amazing just comparing the difference!!!

Stairwayto7
01-30-2007, 11:46 AM
I hope your not looking for an argument about this !

Ha Ha,

Not even close in this category

AZ_Steeler
01-30-2007, 11:52 AM
The Steel Curtain was defense that others were flat out scared to play! Now a days there are teams that have good defenses but nothing that is as feared as the Steel Curtain was during their time!

:cope:

58Lambert
01-30-2007, 01:08 PM
Like some of you already, I’ve seen older TV interview footage with Jack Lambert and he let it be known that he was pissed off about that ’76 season. As BnG32 mentioned, Franco and Rock got injured and couldn’t play in the AFC Champ game against the Raiders that year.

Lambert said right after that game, “… give me a 6-pack (of beer) and let’s it play again.” He also said that he respected all the other great teams before them, but he thought the ’76 Steelers was THE BEST TEAM EVER in the history of the NFL.

Just think about that… if the Steelers would have won the SB that season, that would mean 5 SB wins in 6 years… PLUS, the only team ever (to this day) to win 3 in a row. That also means by today, we would have the most SB titles with 6 and not tied with 5 with Dallas. That season was definitely bittersweet.

58Lambert
01-30-2007, 01:24 PM
Also, it’s a true fact why we’ll never ever see a defense like the Steel Curtain again is because the Steelers created their own problem. Even the narration of NFL Films mentioned before that the NFL Competition Committee had to change some rules to help the offense BECAUSE the Steel Curtain was so dominant in the ‘70s. The rules now were made to be more offense-friendly, more scoring, more excitement for the fans and generate TV ratings, which will generate higher TV revenue from commercials and sponsors.
I have the entire SBXIII game (every play) even commercials on video. There were a lot fewer commercials back then, only two per break and no TV timeouts. I know this has nothing to do with the game, but it does have to do with where the league is at now… more for the entertainment dollar. Same thing with Nascar.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-30-2007, 01:28 PM
Isn't that the truth. Football was so different back in the 70s...I was watching one of the SBs and kept thinking to myself...oh that's a penalty (but no) It was amazing just comparing the difference!!!

:plus1: It's pathetic how much these guys can't do nowadays. Everything is a judgement call and left open to interpretation. We have instant replay but that doesn't always work. It's just awesome to watch these guys back in the day go to war and really bring it every weekend.

Hburg
01-31-2007, 03:10 AM
I only wish it was still like that, a war waged on a field of dreams. Today everything is constantly stop and go to analyze every lil thing. It would go both ways because you know the chips would not always fall in the Steelers favor. But today it seems that everyone involved is too corrupt (cheap shots, etc.) yet wimpy ("ouch, he hurt me!" :points finger:; "gotta look good to get commercial deals.......") to allow such a contest.

BuFu