PDA

View Full Version : Hampton a hall of famer?

aaronsmith91
11-06-2012, 05:30 AM
Most likely his last year, does he get into the hall of fame?

2 super bowls
5 pro bowls
During his tenure team rushing defense has been outside the top five merely three times (2003, 2011, currently 2012) and not a top ten rush D in only '03.

Thoughts?

SnakeEyes43
11-06-2012, 07:11 AM
As cool as it would be, I don't really see it happening.

cmerrifield
11-06-2012, 07:14 AM
NT is just not a glamorous enough position. I don't think he will. Same for Smith, he was the best 3-4 end, but he won't see it either.

sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk 2

BlitzburghRockCity
11-06-2012, 09:00 AM
He's been one of the best NT's of the last decade, but I agree it's not a glamour position and he doesn't have the numbers of other DL that have gotten in, simply because of the system he's in. Same with Aaron Smith. It would be nice and hell I'd vote for him but unfortunately I don't think he'd have that much support from the HOF panel of voters.

chisteeler
11-06-2012, 10:16 AM
He'll be a HOFer alright...It'll just be a HOFer at Old Country Buffet!:lol:

scudmissile29
11-06-2012, 10:43 AM
He's a HOF NT in my eyes but won't get in.

K Train
11-06-2012, 01:25 PM
i think he will be in contention for it, hes one of two NTs this era that that will be but i think wilfork would get the nod over hamp.

after sam adams and ted washington that is

steelchamp204
11-06-2012, 01:29 PM
He might but being a 3-4 NT doesnt get alot of publicity. His job is to take up blockers and get push up the middle. He has done that well over the years. He will be on the Ballot, but I dont think he will get it.

greg1964
11-06-2012, 02:42 PM
The question is: How do you judge a NT in the 3-4: Was Hampton the BEST of his position for the time in which he played? FORGET NUMBERS, the job was to eat of block and let the ILB flow to make the tackles. During Hampton 12 year career, the Steelers have had, Holmes, Farrior, Foote and Timmons as ILB, all very good, but none HOF players, But The Steelers run defense has consistantly been in the top 5 if not 10, so again, it's base on your measuring stick.

BTW: is called the Hall Of Fame, not the Hall of the very good:
BTW2 I would take Hampton over Wilfork any day of the week.

LarryNJ
11-06-2012, 09:50 PM

Than explain Bud Grant, Lynn Swann, & Joe Namath?

Goodfrom55
11-06-2012, 10:16 PM
I don't think he will, not enough individual stats jumping off the page at anyone.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-07-2012, 01:32 PM
The question is: How do you judge a NT in the 3-4: Was Hampton the BEST of his position for the time in which he played? FORGET NUMBERS, the job was to eat of block and let the ILB flow to make the tackles. During Hampton 12 year career, the Steelers have had, Holmes, Farrior, Foote and Timmons as ILB, all very good, but none HOF players, But The Steelers run defense has consistantly been in the top 5 if not 10, so again, it's base on your measuring stick.

BTW2 I would take Hampton over Wilfork any day of the week.

That's the problem with the voters for the HOF, unless you're a big time name with big time stats they won't give you the time of day when it comes to present day players. Hell if LC Greenwood still can't get in then something is wrong and the HOF voters need to have their heads examined.