PDA

View Full Version : How long will Haley last as our OC?

scudmissile29
11-05-2012, 12:23 PM
He's one of the best offensive co-ordinators in the league, he's having a good first year in Pittsburgh, he was dismissed way too soon in Kansas City which begs the question.

How long will it be before teams come calling for his services?

I have fears this will be a very short-term keep which is unfortunate.

The least thing we want is Ben to keep switching OC's during his prime and twilight years.

Anyone else had a think about this?

steelchamp204
11-05-2012, 12:27 PM
The more we win the more Haley will stay at OC in Pitt. It's a perfect fir for him and his family since he was born and raised around Pittsburgh. He realizes probably he is not a good fit at any type of HC position. Why leave when your calling playing for a HOF Qb and has the weapons of a SB contending team? Wallace/Brown/Sander/Heath/Dwyer/Mendy/Rainey/Redman?

scudmissile29
11-05-2012, 12:28 PM
@Steel that is a valid point with who he has, but he can become a Head Coach again, get a boat load more money and make an offensive of his own.

I just hope nobody comes calling - they can have Bruce Arians - LOL

Stone
11-05-2012, 12:36 PM
The NFL is full of outstanding coordinators who can't succeed as a head coach.....we have two of them.

Given Haley's pension for erratic and emotional breakdowns, he is not likely to be seen as head coach material again for a long time.

K Train
11-05-2012, 12:47 PM
i think he really wants to be here. id imagine hes gonna be labeled with "great coordinator, not so good head coach" which may or may not be true but theres a bunch of them out there.

theres still guys like cowher, billick, and gruden out there

ChucktownSteeler
11-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Few more games like this and Miami will be calling.

In all seriousness, not all good coordinators make good head coaches.

Goodfrom55
11-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Few organizations have a daily culture like the Pittsburgh Steelers organization. I think he will stay as long as he is wanted.
Not stretching the field like Uncle Fester used to, but it is smart play calling and getting guys in space.

scudmissile29
11-05-2012, 06:56 PM
i think he really wants to be here. id imagine hes gonna be labeled with "great coordinator, not so good head coach" which may or may not be true but theres a bunch of them out there.

theres still guys like cowher, billick, and gruden out there

Let's hope so, Last thing I want is for him to leave town and become the Cowboy HC or something lol

Black@Gold Forever32
11-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Let's hope so, Last thing I want is for him to leave town and become the Cowboy HC or something lol

That job has Sean Payton's name written all over it if he doesn't go back to New Orleans....

Nolrog
11-05-2012, 07:43 PM
This thread definitely did not go the way I thought it was from the title.

I think Haley will be around a while. And just because he's a good coordinator, doesn't mean he'll be a good Head Coach. There are many many many great coordinators that sucked as HCs.

steelchamp204
11-05-2012, 07:59 PM
With the issues Haley had with KC players, etc. It would be very hard right now for him to land a HC job. He is just fine being the Steelers OC. I think he is a better Cord than a HC.

greg1964
11-05-2012, 08:53 PM
Atleast three years: So people are good #two's and very poor #1

Examples:
Norv Turner
Charlie Wies
Romeo Crennel
Dick Lebeau
Mike Zimmer
Marvin Lewis
Jack DelRio

These are example of people I wouldn't mind the Steelers hiring as Coorinators, but I would want ANY OF THEM as the Head Coach

I hope T.H. likes it hear and wants to stay for the long term: Could you image what Ben could do in this offense if he was in it for years

JoeSteelerFan
11-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Haley will be around for awhile. The Steelers will pay him well to do so. (may even name him Asst. Head Coach at some point) It's always good to have a seasoned coordinator with real HC'ing experience on your sideline in the event he needs to step in for Tomlin at a moments notice.

Omicron
11-05-2012, 09:52 PM
[QUOTE=greg1964;518804]Atleast three years: So people are good #two's and very poor #1

Examples:
Norv Turner
Charlie Wies
Romeo Crennel
Dick Lebeau
Mike Zimmer
Marvin Lewis
Jack DelRio

And Josh McDaniels

elephantman
11-05-2012, 11:05 PM
Haley will be around for awhile. The Steelers will pay him well to do so. (may even name him Asst. Head Coach at some point) It's always good to have a seasoned coordinator with real HC'ing experience on your sideline in the event he needs to step in for Tomlin at a moments notice.

Thats right, the Steelers will have to PAY him well to stay, if they have success, cuz their is an *** for every seat and sum dumb team (there are plenty) would hire him as Head coach if he has success. He wasnt given much a chance in KC but winning 10 games with no QB isnt too shabby and look at KC Now?

connecticutsteel
11-06-2012, 12:00 AM
SINCE WHEN IS HE THE Raven's OC ?YOU SAID OUR OC AND YOUR CERTAINTLY NOT ASTEELERS FAN

scudmissile29
11-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Thats right, the Steelers will have to PAY him well to stay, if they have success, cuz their is an *** for every seat and sum dumb team (there are plenty) would hire him as Head coach if he has success. He wasnt given much a chance in KC but winning 10 games with no QB isnt too shabby and look at KC Now?

Exactly, I though he was doing a great job in KC, he drafted Eric Berry, had Jamaal Charles' best season, split him with Thomas Jones it was a great 2010 season for the Chiefs.

It was the Owners that were stupid and we gained for it.

chisteeler
11-06-2012, 12:19 PM
A bit late but some interesting insight on Wards thoughts on Ben and BA's relationship and why it was important to bring in Haley.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/10/23/former-steelers-hines-ward-bold-truth-or-bitter-face-on-sunday-night/

BlitzburghRockCity
11-06-2012, 12:34 PM
The NFL is full of outstanding coordinators who can't succeed as a head coach.....we have two of them.

Given Haley's pension for erratic and emotional breakdowns, he is not likely to be seen as head coach material again for a long time.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. It will take more than one year for teams to go after Haley for a HC job but eventually somebody will come calling despite what went on in KC.

Lebeau especially is/was an amazing defensive mind but that's what he does. He concentrates on the defense; all the other distractions of being a head coach aren't worth his time anymore. Hopefully Haley feels the same.

coldrolled
11-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Haley is an OC. I bet he feels really relaxed not having that HC job, i bet he sits tight for years at OC..

Hes a Steeler...

RIVERS OF STEEL
11-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Is this a real thread?

CowherPower
11-09-2012, 09:04 AM
I admit when I first saw the title of this thread I was thinking to myself, WTF is going on? After reading the initial post though, Haley will have some suitors eventually but it's going to be awhile. No matter how well he does in Pittsburgh, teams haven't forgotten the meltdown in KC just yet.

Stone
11-09-2012, 02:33 PM
I'm not an NFL expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night:lol:

An NFL head coach is really a business manager and a babysitter of primadonnas. Of all the coaches I can think of, Haley is at or near the bottom of the list of who I would want managing the business or babysitting the inmates.