PDA

View Full Version : Is Keenan Lewis on par with Ike Taylor?

BlitzburghRockCity
11-04-2012, 08:44 PM
This isn't a question just based on tonight's performance mind you, but overall this season. Certainly the Giants game tonight though was another step in the right direction.

Before the game, Bill Hillgrove asked Mike Tomlin who was going to cover Victor Cruz and he said emphatically that Ike Taylor would draw that duty. Citing his experience, etc.

Keenan Lewis had himself one helluva night overall, 3 passes defensed in the first half and overall solid coverage throughout the night. He had a couple hiccups here and there, including 1 legit PI and one phantom PI but regardless he's coming into his own. I will pat myself on the back and say that I was calling for him to start since the offseason :reddevil: Ok I'll shut up now..LOL.

Seriously though, it probably all depends on your perspective of how good Ike Taylor really is, but nonetheless Carnell Lake has himself a pretty damn good set of cornerbacks now and some good depth to go along with it.

steelersbabex25
11-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Lewis was definitely solid. He had a tough task the entire game and he definitely game to play. Had a tipped pass also. I'm really impressed with how he played today.

Big T
11-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Keenan Lewis has played great the past few weeks. He's becoming a very solid corner.

terrible.towel43
11-04-2012, 09:06 PM
I noticed Lewis right from the get go tonight. The most impressive play was the tipped ball at the line of scrimmage on 3rd down. Im not going to say he's at Ike's level quite yet, but he's improving big time, and is fully capable of being a strong starting CB in this league

LatrobePA
11-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Ike will soon be the third best on the team!

jpele
11-04-2012, 09:09 PM
I've been a big Lewis fan since he was drafted and was disappointed it took this long for him to show his skills but am very glad they didn't give up on him.

Welcome to prime time Mr. Lewis

cbrunn
11-04-2012, 09:10 PM
He's becoming Solid ... but I don't think on par yet with Ike ... Ike covers the number 1 on any team any time 1 on 1, and more times then not shuts them down... I don't think Lewis is ready for that yet

SnakeEyes43
11-04-2012, 09:13 PM
He's getting there. Played a great game last week, had another great one tonight. Love that kid, so glad he's finally becoming a solid corner for us.

harpo
11-05-2012, 07:31 AM
When/If he learns how to tackle, he's gonna REALLY be good. :yellowthumb:

cmerrifield
11-05-2012, 07:40 AM
He is a FA after this year. I am beginning to think they will have to keep him because Ike is getting old. Personally, I think if they have to choose between Lewis and Wallace, I would choose Lewis.

sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk 2

scudmissile29
11-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Lewis is starting to play really nicely. It would be great if he can grab a few turnovers what Ike couldn't really do (like 5 a year).

We shall see how far he can progress this season.

BLACKandGOLD
11-05-2012, 08:41 AM
He is definitely on his way to being a really great corner. He has been so solid all year long and I love the direction he is headed.

cbrunn
11-05-2012, 10:08 AM
He is a FA after this year. I am beginning to think they will have to keep him because Ike is getting old. Personally, I think if they have to choose between Lewis and Wallace, I would choose Lewis.

sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk 2

There is no way you choose Lewis over Wallace ... lol I'd let you have Lewis and man him up wit Wallace, Wallace wins wayyyy more times then Lewis does

SnakeEyes43
11-05-2012, 10:12 AM
There is no way you choose Lewis over Wallace ... lol I'd let you have Lewis and man him up wit Wallace, Wallace wins wayyyy more times then Lewis does

It depends if Lewis keeps progressing like he has been. We need talented CBs to keep up with this passing league, and Lewis will probably be much cheaper to keep than Wallace. Plus I think we'd be just fine with Brown, Sanders, and Cotch. I like Wallace a lot, but I have a feeling he'll go elsewhere.

cbrunn
11-05-2012, 10:26 AM
It depends if Lewis keeps progressing like he has been. We need talented CBs to keep up with this passing league, and Lewis will probably be much cheaper to keep than Wallace. Plus I think we'd be just fine with Brown, Sanders, and Cotch. I like Wallace a lot, but I have a feeling he'll go elsewhere.

Lewis will be cheaper ... that's why you can get both ... but he said if he had to choose he would choose Lewis over Wallace ... and I don't think that's the case at all and if it is our GM needs checked ... Cortez can be just as good as Lewis , with Brown, Sanders and Cotch you just don't have that deep threat to keep the defense honest and the middle of the field gets packed for them route runners

greg1964
11-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Lewis or Wallace: Lewis hands down, It a lot harder finding and good corner vs a good receiver: With Taylor, Lewis and Allen, the Steelers will be able to match up with the Pat, Packs, and any other team in the NFL.

cbrunn
11-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Lewis or Wallace: Lewis hands down, It a lot harder finding and good corner vs a good receiver: With Taylor, Lewis and Allen, the Steelers will be able to match up with the Pat, Packs, and any other team in the NFL.

Not a good WR with the speed of Wallace ( that comes around once in a while) Wallace is top 10-15 WR in the league with potential to be top 5... and is a top 5 weapon on offense

Can't say the same for Lewis at his position and I would hate to see him against other teams #1 game in and game out ... and I feel Cortez has the potential to be better then Lewis

but maybe I'm in the minority here I guess

Stone
11-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Keenan Lewis has played great the past few weeks. He's becoming a very solid corner.

Doesn't that sound sweet given our rapidly aging/failing secondary.

KemoTherapy
11-05-2012, 01:47 PM
i didn't think Keenan was ever going to show anything but I'm glad to be wrong. He really needs to improve his tackling in run support though. Could be a lack of bulk situation.

steelchamp204
11-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Its a joke that you would pick Lewis over Wallace right now. Wallace has had a great body of work over the years and deserves to be paid. Now that Lewis has had a FEW good games so far, people want him over Wallace. Yes, Lewis has been playing great as of late. Let's see how he does for the rest of the season. Wallace can be replaced also, but it would be hard. Speed guys can be replaced but not as easy as some think. Look at Heyward Bey coming out of college. Speed guy who never panned out.

Also, Lewis will not be a ton of money as people think we cant sign both. Its not like we are going to be paying Lewis, Revis type money.

cmerrifield
11-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Its a joke that you would pick Lewis over Wallace right now. Wallace has had a great body of work over the years and deserves to be paid. Now that Lewis has had a FEW good games so far, people want him over Wallace. Yes, Lewis has been playing great as of late. Let's see how he does for the rest of the season. Wallace can be replaced also, but it would be hard. Speed guys can be replaced but not as easy as some think. Look at Heyward Bey coming out of college. Speed guy who never panned out.

Also, Lewis will not be a ton of money as people think we cant sign both. Its not like we are going to be paying Lewis, Revis type money.

First, who are you to decide my opinion is a joke? You may not agree with it, but its not a joke. Lewis has excelled under Lake's coaching and there is no reason to think he wont continue to get better. But, as I have said before, we are at the cap with 35 guys under contract. Wallace makes this offense better, but so would a stud FS, or Revis type CB or 4 Pro Bowl WR's. The problem is we have this thing called a cap. So, does Wallace make this team better, yes, is he worth 8 percent of the total cap, no. He doesnt make the team that much better. So as the Steelers figure out who is coming back, Mendenhall, McClendon, Lewis, Mundy, Allen, Sanders, Foote, Foster, Legs, and Dwyer. Then we have guys who are free agents at the end of next season we have to consider, Cotchery, Hood, and others. It may mean we can only sign one guy, maybe even have to franchise him. For me, I think Lewis will give us more bang for our buck.

Blazedby92
11-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Trying to a make playoff run lets see who steps up before we start jumping off and on wagons, lewis first year and wallace somewhat struggling it seems but I think hes learning an offense that doesn't consists of him blowing the top of the coverage 50% i f the time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Real Deal Steel
11-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Lewis has really opened my eyes. I didn't think he was ready. But he's shown me that he's ready to more then hold his own.

steelchamp204
11-05-2012, 07:50 PM
First, who are you to decide my opinion is a joke? You may not agree with it, but its not a joke. Lewis has excelled under Lake's coaching and there is no reason to think he wont continue to get better. But, as I have said before, we are at the cap with 35 guys under contract. Wallace makes this offense better, but so would a stud FS, or Revis type CB or 4 Pro Bowl WR's. The problem is we have this thing called a cap. So, does Wallace make this team better, yes, is he worth 8 percent of the total cap, no. He doesnt make the team that much better. So as the Steelers figure out who is coming back, Mendenhall, McClendon, Lewis, Mundy, Allen, Sanders, Foote, Foster, Legs, and Dwyer. Then we have guys who are free agents at the end of next season we have to consider, Cotchery, Hood, and others. It may mean we can only sign one guy, maybe even have to franchise him. For me, I think Lewis will give us more bang for our buck.

Im sorry but it was laughable in my opinion. Lewis has only started 9 games for the Steelers his whole career. Let the season finish out, and go from there. Like I stated earlier. He will be a cheap contract. Only Miller has more Td's than Wallace. 5 td's from a receiver is pretty damn good so far. If you combine Johnson/Brown/Pope/Sanders/Mendenhall reception td's, they only combine to Wallace's 5. Wallace puts points on the board, period. Also, noone knows if Wallace will accept a contract from the Steelers if it doesnt meet his demands. He is in a very good offense, a team who makes the playoffs almost every year. We will see what happens but lets see what happens with Lewis from now till the end of the season.

Nolrog
11-05-2012, 08:11 PM
That was still a riduculous call on him. The NFL is getting to the point where you're not even allowed to cover the receivers.

JoeSteelerFan
11-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Lewis >>> William Gay

elephantman
11-05-2012, 11:20 PM

If the steelers had to choose, it's possible Lewis is the better option from a CAP perspective.....Theirs Nobody in this forum that wouldnt love a Revis for Wallace straight up trade....meaning Corners have much more value. Not to say Lewis will ever be a top 5 Corner, but he could be a Decent #1 corner, I like what i'm seeing and letting him go would be a mistake as Ike is on the bad side of 30 and we have nobody else and we dont know how to get one

cbrunn
11-05-2012, 11:28 PM
If the steelers had to choose, it's possible Lewis is the better option from a CAP perspective.....Theirs Nobody in this forum that wouldnt love a Revis for Wallace straight up trade....meaning Corners have much more value. Not to say Lewis will ever be a top 5 Corner, but he could be a Decent #1 corner, I like what i'm seeing and letting him go would be a mistake as Ike is on the bad side of 30 and we have nobody else and we dont know how to get one

Your talking about the best CB this generation and arguably an all time best if he can stay healthy ... compared to KENEEN LEWIS??? :lol::lol::lol: I'm done

steelchamp204
11-06-2012, 12:07 AM
Your talking about the best CB this generation and arguably an all time best if he can stay healthy ... compared to KENEEN LEWIS??? :lol::lol::lol: I'm done

Thats what I dont understand why some people are already coming to the conclusion to Wallace and Lewis. Wallace has 3 1/2 seasons of work proven that he is a threat compared to Lewis's 9 total starts. Is Lewis playing well right now? Hell yes, but lets him get some more starts in first to see who would be the smarter signing for long term.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Nobody should be ready to crown Lewis is the greatest things since sliced bread by any stretch but you have to admit he's stepped up his game so far this year. He's batting down passes, playing solid coverage over all and seems to have a nose for the ball. He's young and still has room to grow but I love his potential. He'll cost more than a typical 1st round tender in 2013 but he's worth the money at this point.

Real Deal Steel
11-06-2012, 12:42 PM
We have a plethora of Wide Receivers and running backs. But our quality at corner-back is limited. We have to keep Lewis. Maybe even at the expense of letting go of a running-back or wide receiver.

Blitz, isn't the WR Simmons on the practice squad now?