PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Fake Field Goal - Defense bailed out Tomlin on that horrific call

BlitzburghRockCity
11-04-2012, 08:44 PM
In the post game, Tomlin said: I made the call and the guys backed me up like I knew that would. It's on me.

Thankfully the defense forced a 3 and out on the next series so no harm in the end but good grief how in the world are you going to potentially put the game in the hands of the kickers hands instead of his feet?! Goodness, it could have been catastrophic but thankfully it worked out in the end.

Lesson learned; on the road in a close game, don't make the trick bonehead call. If it works I still would have complained that it was risky..LOL

steelspikes
11-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Agree BRC...that play was not really us...something a college team might try. Even so, execution was not bad; the Jints simply were not fooled. As CBS' Sims commented, confidence in Steeler D gave MT the courage to try it.

terrible.towel43
11-04-2012, 08:50 PM
I think part of the call was knowing the defence was playing so lights out. If they wanted to go for it I would have preferred a Redman run and let the offence try, but hey it didn't work out and we still won so I won't give it a second thought

steelersbabex25
11-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Terrible call regardless of how the defense was going to play. So, instead of asking Redman to run one yard, you hand Suisham the ball 7 yards behind the yard of scrimmage and expect him to run? I'm so sure...

North Steel
11-04-2012, 08:52 PM
:cope::tt02:Yeah but if it did work you would be saying"what balls" I still didn't agree with the call either, but thank god all is good.:tt02::tt02: Oh and Fu_k U refs pieces of **** u almost cost us this game.

coach
11-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Terrible call regardless of how the defense was going to play. So, instead of asking Redman to run one yard, you hand Suisham the ball 7 yards behind the yard of scrimmage and expect him to run? I'm so sure...

This got me chucklin just now cause I want SS to focus on kicking and nothing else. Leave the running to those guys who keep crackin the 100 yard mark.

Stone
11-04-2012, 09:04 PM
I disagree. I think it was the perfect time for that call. The Giants would be pinned down and the D had dominated them and we had all the momentum. It was shear luck that the Giants defender took the outside or it would have been good for six... or at least the first down.

Troyisabeast_43
11-04-2012, 09:07 PM
I was thinking the samething if youre going to try and do something like that and fake it just go for it and run it up the middle with Redman. He was pounding it all day and it was just a ridiculous call on the part of Tomlin to go for it there....Luckily the D who played great today bailed them out and the Steelers hung on and won the game and overcame everything...

Steelers/PSU Fan
11-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Horrible play call, we would have got the 1st down or TD by just running Redman, why give it to Suisham lol, little white boy can't muscle that in.

TarlsQtr
11-04-2012, 09:30 PM
I disagree. I think it was the perfect time for that call. The Giants would be pinned down and the D had dominated them and we had all the momentum. It was shear luck that the Giants defender took the outside or it would have been good for six... or at least the first down.

No way. Why in the world would you do a fake FG on 4th and 1 foot? Run Redman or a Ben sneak with a success rate of probably 90 percent. Fake FGs are high reward but also high risk. As someone else said, you are putting faith in kicker running from 7 yards back instead of a back who has been dominating or a 265 pound QB. It makes no sense.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Really they should have ran it with Redman on 3rd and 1....lol But really Tomlin did have a legit reason to go for it since really the defense was playing great ball all game....Still a stupid decision....I really don't mind a fake but Suisham running the ball...lol

LarryNJ
11-04-2012, 09:35 PM
I'm not sure i ever seen a call that I thought was stupider. That beat some of the best BA calls.

On the bight side it does show the faith he has in the D. Along with punting instead of trying a 51 yard FG. What a difference a couple weeks makes.

$teelersRule
11-04-2012, 09:37 PM
I seem to be the only one here but i liked the call it was creative and the D was playing great so it was worth the risk.

jpele
11-04-2012, 09:38 PM
I liked the call, it would have worked against most every other team in the league. At that point our defense was playing excellect and our offense was moving the ball.

Although the play didn't work, the situation was right.

SnakeEyes43
11-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Bad call, but it all worked out in the end. Woo Hoo!

Rhyno
11-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Bad call. Kick the field goal. Let dominant defense stop them on next series.

steelersbabex25
11-04-2012, 10:46 PM
I'm not sure i ever seen a call that I thought was stupider. That beat some of the best BA calls.

Worse than a delayed draw from your own endzone?

LarryNJ
11-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Worse than a delayed draw from your own endzone?

hmmm..I was think yes it was worse..but now that I am thinking clearer, BA wins with that one.

Real Deal Steel
11-05-2012, 12:10 AM
In the post game, Tomlin said: I made the call and the guys backed me up like I knew that would. It's on me.

Thankfully the defense forced a 3 and out on the next series so no harm in the end but good grief how in the world are you going to potentially put the game in the hands of the kickers hands instead of his feet?! Goodness, it could have been catastrophic but thankfully it worked out in the end.

Lesson learned; on the road in a close game, don't make the trick bonehead call. If it works I still would have complained that it was risky..LOL

totally agree. On the road especially...you take all points!

scott0326
11-05-2012, 03:50 AM
I wouldn't if minded us going for it with a normal player, like a run to Redman, but a fake field goal, especially that idiotic kind of fake was terrible.

ChucktownSteeler
11-05-2012, 07:57 AM
Bad call, glad it didn't haunt us.

Time to move on to next week.

Goodfrom55
11-05-2012, 10:41 AM

From that close, take the points. To run that play, they must have noticed something in the scouting reports, otherwise I see no need to take that chance on a 23 yd fg. 40 of 45 yarder, perhaps its a different story becuase of a more intense rush from the defense, but in this case, the Giants were conceding the FG so with a lack of a rush, there was no chance this would work.
Thankfully, the defense held their own and bailed out the Steelers.

now, LET'S AVOID THE TRAP ON MONDAY NIGHT!

TarlsQtr
11-05-2012, 12:02 PM
From that close, take the points. To run that play, they must have noticed something in the scouting reports, otherwise I see no need to take that chance on a 23 yd fg. 40 of 45 yarder, perhaps its a different story becuase of a more intense rush from the defense, but in this case, the Giants were conceding the FG so with a lack of a rush, there was no chance this would work.
Thankfully, the defense held their own and bailed out the Steelers.

now, LET'S AVOID THE TRAP ON MONDAY NIGHT!

Here is the issue I have with going for three. It was 4th and 1 foot. With Pouncey, Colon, Foster, and Will Johnson blocking I suspect the chance of Redman making it is about 70-80 percent. Ben leaning forward in a sneak, close to 100 percent.

Both a FG or a fake is a gift to the Giants, IMO.

PsychoWard
11-05-2012, 12:10 PM

Exactly!!!! i didn't like the call at the time of the game and even though we won i still don't like the call. If you are going to make that call put the ball in the hands of somone that is use to running the ball!! But i still say at that point get the for sure 3 points and tie the game up!

greg1964
11-05-2012, 12:17 PM
If the Steelers defense wasn't playing the way it was, Tomlin wouldn't have made the same call. Outside of poor calls, the Gaints wasn't readlly moving the ball.

The Gaint first TD was help by a bad pass interfrence call on Lewis and the a even worst helment to helment call on Clark.
The Gaint second TD was a very questionable call on the "TUCK" rule. I for one don't like the rule, but if they are going to call it....call it right.
And their third TD was on a poor call when they said Brown crossed the goal line. Now it's bepatable if they would have scored anyway, but he DIDN'T score on that play.

The Gaint gain less than 200 total yards in the game: So do I like the fake FG call, NO, but I can understand why. Personnally: I would have line up in "I" formation and play action and hit Miller for the score. BESIDE that call would have help my fantasy team

K Train
11-05-2012, 01:16 PM
i would have reather seen redman get stuffed or get the FD/TD, or take 3, but why put the ball in the HANDS of suisham lol

BlitzburghRockCity
11-05-2012, 04:58 PM
What scares me is, Tomlin made that call because he felt the defense would bail him out, which they did. He also had Suisham try that 54 yd earlier this year because he felt Shaun had a legit shot at making it, and it failed. Point is if he makes another one of those crazy calls again he better be damn sure this team is back completely because that kind of stuff can cost you a game, and we can't afford that right now.

It worked out, and the defense got pressure, just enough of it when needed but at the time I was having a coronary! LOL

Goodfrom55
11-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Here is the issue I have with going for three. It was 4th and 1 foot. With Pouncey, Colon, Foster, and Will Johnson blocking I suspect the chance of Redman making it is about 70-80 percent. Ben leaning forward in a sneak, close to 100 percent.

Both a FG or a fake is a gift to the Giants, IMO.

My thought process is take the points on the road, tie up the game, and go from there. If the Steelers were home, I say go for it. . .but that's me.