PDA

View Full Version : The sack total just isn't there yet for the Steelers

BlitzburghRockCity
10-31-2012, 12:04 AM
I would say yes it's a concern but not of epic proportions just yet. You always want to get the QB on the ground as much as possible. It's an emotion boost for the entire unit and especially when you're at home it really gets the crowd going. However I will say that sacks aren't everything, the defense is collapsing the pocket pretty well the last 2 weeks and even if they don't get there they are making the QB hurry his passes, and throwing off the timing of the offense, and if they can just get there a half step quicker the sacks will come.

Defensive rankings so far:
#2 - Total Defense
#1 - Pass Defense
#9 - Rush Defense
#24 - 11 Sacks

LatrobePA
10-31-2012, 12:14 AM
As the two get healthy the sacks will come.

Real Deal Steel
10-31-2012, 01:14 AM
I'm real concerned with Nicks. Big WR's give us problems.

scudmissile29
10-31-2012, 09:12 AM
It won't be, wow so we just beat the Redskins, not like our defense was back or anything.

I've learnt to cope with fans overreacting over a win like this.

Even though our defense is ranked #2 they are a big reason why we were in a hole (and still are were #7 in playoffs)

Real Deal Steel
10-31-2012, 10:22 AM
I'm not sold on the defense whatsoever. I saw how that "# 1" pass defense got abused by a QB coming back after being out an entire year. They made him look like he hardly missed any time. That was embarrassing. Then to watch the Falcons defense make Manning look like an old QB right after really pissed me off.

Dick Lebeau still needs to retire. I have little to no faith in him. His schemes and ideas are stall and he refuses to bring any freshness to the defense.

Stairwayto7
10-31-2012, 11:55 AM
I`m not so sure that we have anyone injured that can come back and help this defense get a pass rush going. I wouldn`t mind if the sacks were down but we were still applying pressure, but every opposing QB seems to have plenty of time the majority of the game. Even Troy coming back won`t help

SnakeEyes43
10-31-2012, 01:31 PM
It won't be, wow so we just beat the Redskins, not like our defense was back or anything.

Didn't you say RGIII would put up big numbers against us? Maybe that was someone else.

chisteeler
10-31-2012, 02:20 PM
^
It was something similar to that...Oh wait, I think if memory serves me correctly it was and I quote, "I can't wait until he comes in and dicks all over Lebeau's defense to prove you wrong."

coldrolled
10-31-2012, 03:10 PM
I`m not so sure that we have anyone injured that can come back and help this defense get a pass rush going. I wouldn`t mind if the sacks were down but we were still applying pressure, but every opposing QB seems to have plenty of time the majority of the game. Even Troy coming back won`t help

90 in a rotation with 98 that would be one..

LatrobePA
10-31-2012, 03:38 PM
Didn't you say RGIII would put up big numbers against us? Maybe that was someone else.

They had 10 drops on perfectly thrown balls. The game / stats could of been much different had his WR's caught the balls. Eli and crew will not have this issue.

scott0326
10-31-2012, 04:44 PM
I'm not sold on the defense whatsoever. I saw how that "# 1" pass defense got abused by a QB coming back after being out an entire year. They made him look like he hardly missed any time. That was embarrassing. Then to watch the Falcons defense make Manning look like an old QB right after really pissed me off.

Dick Lebeau still needs to retire. I have little to no faith in him. His schemes and ideas are stall and he refuses to bring any freshness to the defense.
Regardless if he took a year off or not, Manning is still one of the best QB's in the NFL and has showed it, he has had only one bad HALF all season.

I agree our pass defense isn't that good, especially as good as the numbers say, but you made it seem like the D got lit up by some scrub.

Real Deal Steel
10-31-2012, 05:15 PM
Manning was a scrub when we faced him. And the Falcons proved it. We exposed our coverages BEFORE the snap the entire nite. What starting QB do you ever just let him see your coverage before the ball is snapped for the entire game???? Especially a Manning!

If we came out and changed and disguised coverage like the Falcons did against Manning, we would have been just as effective if not more against Manning because he was clearly rusty. You could see how rusty he was in the first half of the game. All we needed to do was play crafty defense, and we win that game. Sorry..but that Falcons game showed the whole nation where Manning was at the beginning of the season. Now he's back to being acclimated to the game pretty much. But he wasn't then. Le Bum came out and underestimated him. Same way he did Tebow in the playoffs last year.

SnakeEyes43
10-31-2012, 06:10 PM
They had 10 drops on perfectly thrown balls. The game / stats could of been much different had his WR's caught the balls. Eli and crew will not have this issue.

Fact is still that RGIII didn't have impressive numbers, even for a rookie. Every team, every week, can say that "it would have been much different if only..." followed by blah, blah, blah.

ChucktownSteeler
10-31-2012, 07:09 PM
I am happy for the win last week, but my happiness is tempered by the fact the Redskin WRs had 12 dropped passes, 2 of which would have been TDs.

You can't count on that happening every week.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-31-2012, 10:41 PM
That's a concern for me as well. Obviously the weather had something to do with it, RGIII throwing some off target, and perhaps you can add that the Steelers defense was making them hear footsteps, but I agree you can't count on receivers playing that poorly all the time. It will be a different story against the Giants though, Eli can put it right on the money and his wide outs aren't afraid to go up after it.

Real Deal Steel
11-01-2012, 10:34 AM
This game could be a shoot out.

terrible.towel43
11-01-2012, 11:34 AM
one of the biggest reasons our defence ranks so well is because of Ben and the offence. We control time of possession every game and the long time consuming drives lead to less time on the field for the defence, and in turn, less yards against

terrible.towel43
11-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Fact is still that RGIII didn't have impressive numbers, even for a rookie. Every team, every week, can say that "it would have been much different if only..." followed by blah, blah, blah.

this. Any team in any loss could have said if only we did this we would have won. Besides a lot of those drops were due to our DB's pressure and hard hits to knock the ball free. The one TD drop, they scored a TD on the drive anyways..

elephantman
11-01-2012, 01:25 PM

^ does anyone want to accept the fact that the players on D are just not that good??? old and done or young and inexperienced or bad.

BLACKandGOLD
11-01-2012, 05:27 PM
I completely agree. They have been hurrying a lot of QBs so far this year, just a step or two away from being sacks. The total sacks need to come up a little though, especially when we go up against Baltimore.