PDA

View Full Version : The Haley way....

coldrolled
10-29-2012, 03:59 PM
The Steelers took the dink-and-dunk philosophy to the extreme Sunday against the Redskins. Roethlisberger’s average pass traveled 4.8 yards downfield Sunday, his lowest average pass distance over the past five seasons, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Roethlisberger was effective on short passes, completing 21-of-28 passes (75.0 percent) thrown 10 yards or fewer downfield, including all three of his touchdowns. This was a surprising strategy against a Redskins pass defense that had allowed 29 completions for more than 20 yards this season (tied for second worst in the NFL).

This short passing game has been a key factor in the Steelers controlling the ball. Pittsburgh had three scoring drives that ate up 19 minutes, which is over a full quarter. The Steelers rank second in the NFL in time of possession, averaging 34 minutes, 35 seconds per game.

Ben was sacked how many times? FB scored a TD.. TOP is on top...

See ya BA.......

igor0190
10-29-2012, 05:01 PM
Some of those plays Haley draws up are sexy magic. In particular the 2nd play of the game, fake WR screen, and pass to Miller. He's way less predictable than Arians was, and just all around a more effective game planner and play caller.

Get7With7
10-29-2012, 05:24 PM
I would say so far my only complaint is that they need to take more shots downfield. Since the running game seems to be coming to life, that opens up play-action. There really is no excuse not to take a few deep shots at Wallace per game.

I hope the reason they haven't taken more shots is because the offense feels it has to babysit the defense. The theory that the defense would be better if the offense possessed the ball was shot to hell in week 1. The best way to take pressure off of a defense is to score points. Worry about possession in the 4th quarter.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-29-2012, 05:46 PM
I would say so far my only complaint is that they need to take more shots downfield. Since the running game seems to be coming to life, that opens up play-action. There really is no excuse not to take a few deep shots at Wallace per game.

I hope the reason they haven't taken more shots is because the offense feels it has to babysit the defense. The theory that the defense would be better if the offense possessed the ball was shot to hell in week 1. The best way to take pressure off of a defense is to score points. Worry about possession in the 4th quarter.

I agree with calling more play-action (especially deep to Wallace)..........But overall I'm very happy with Todd Haley....I do think at times he still calls to many runs instead of going for the kill shot to put teams away but Haley is a very smart OC.......

Real Deal Steel
10-29-2012, 06:52 PM
I would like one or two more shots down the field but we are probably splitting hairs. It's working and that's all that matters. Ben is healthy and upright and everyone is overjoyed with that. I know I am.

North Steel
10-29-2012, 08:24 PM
As long as it gets the job done stick with it.:clap:

JoeSteelerFan
10-29-2012, 10:04 PM
I love what Haley is doing with our offense. He's everything Arians is not and never will be.

Ben's QB rating, ability to remain upright, usage of the TE, time of possession, and balanced run/pass attack cannot be denied.

It's refreshing to know that we don't have to play long-ball or bust under this offense.

LatrobePA
10-29-2012, 10:10 PM
I love what Haley is doing with our offense. He's everything Arians is not and never will be.

Ben's QB rating, ability to remain upright, usage of the TE, time of possession, and balanced run/pass attack cannot be denied.

It's refreshing to know that we don't have to play long-ball or bust under this offense.

The defense thanks him too!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-30-2012, 09:29 AM
I would like to see a few more shots down field too but for now I'm not too concerned about it. The only thing that keeps me really scratching my head every week is that the offense continues to go into a shell in the 4th quarter, relying on Dwyer to run out the clock. I want to see that killer attitude again, go for that extra score when you're up by 10 points instead of just turning the ball over with a punt. I know Dwyer ran out the clock 2 weeks ago, which was great but are they going to be able to pour it on and score points when they need too in the 4th quarter?

Real Deal Steel
10-30-2012, 12:18 PM
I agree with you Blitz.

This is where I miss a guy like Hines Ward who loved to stick the dagger in an opponent if and when he could.

TarlsQtr
10-30-2012, 12:55 PM
I would like to see a few more shots down field too but for now I'm not too concerned about it. The only thing that keeps me really scratching my head every week is that the offense continues to go into a shell in the 4th quarter, relying on Dwyer to run out the clock. I want to see that killer attitude again, go for that extra score when you're up by 10 points instead of just turning the ball over with a punt. I know Dwyer ran out the clock 2 weeks ago, which was great but are they going to be able to pour it on and score points when they need too in the 4th quarter?

I agree with this post 100%. The Steelers (this year included) play safe far too much in the 4th quarter with a small lead. We just do not have the defense anymore that we can count on to thwart a good opposing offense. I would love to see us be more aggressive in getting a "kill shot" like the Pats, Saints, and Packers do. Make it a two score game and THEN give it to the RBs to stall it out.

coach
10-30-2012, 02:08 PM
The one hing about deep shots downfield is that the OL may nothold up. They have been in atters most of the year so why call something that could e successful in place of something that is.

The other thing I want to see is a game plan on the road that translates into a win. Not too happy about the losses on the road this year.

Look what Dallas did against NYG last week with one WR and a TE. We have 3 WR and a TE. I am really hoping to see some offensive magic this weekend.

KemoTherapy
10-30-2012, 03:31 PM
You can't really be upset with the way the offense has heen going this year. They have not been the problem and they will only get better over time as everybody gets more used to the system. Still having troubles ramming the ball in from the redzone though. And you can never discount the positive effect of controlling the clock. San Fran are the kings of the 2 yard pass and they score enough.

LarryNJ
10-30-2012, 04:03 PM
And you can never discount the positive effect of controlling the clock. San Fran are the kings of the 2 yard pass and they score enough.

With Alex Smith, it's an amazing feat.

steelspikes
10-31-2012, 12:31 AM
As a dyed-in-the-wool hater of the "chuck and duck" Bruce Arians' sandlot strategy, I am very pleased with what is emerging in the steeler "O." And am not at all bothered by lack of shots downfield; that was the Arians way after everything else failed..."f@#k it, just chuck it!" Long balls are generally low percentage plays. Watch NE or GB or other teams that score consistently in the high 20's, to mid-30's: you just don't see a lot of deep throws.Arians is a mental midget compared to Haley. Scoring avg. is on the way up. BA may win a few games with Indy...but he'll be gone soon when they rank 24th in ppg. avg., and Luck is frustrated as hell, and realizes his boss is a moron, and is getting the crap beat out of him.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-01-2012, 01:23 PM
The Haley way is going to get a big test this week. Clock management, keeping Eli off the field will be huge. If the game is close late in the 4th quarter and we hand them the ball with anything more than 1 minute on the clock I'll be extremely nervous.

Last year the Steelers catch phrase "old and done". Now it's "dink and dunk"...can't imagine what's next.

BLACKandGOLD
11-01-2012, 05:20 PM
I love the new offense. At first, I absolutely hated it because we weren't getting the deep shots down field to Wallace like we used to but now I really am getting used to it. The new offense is keeping Ben off the ground and that will extend his career by years. Another great thing is the time of possession. I can't remember a Steelers team in recent memory that has been able to take control of the TOP like this team, and its all because of this offense. It also gets Heath involved a lot more and you can't go wrong there, the man is an absolute beast.

Zachintosh66
11-02-2012, 10:29 AM
with our young-inexperienced (and sometimes not very good) OL, dink-and-dunk makes sense doesnt it? That just seems logical. We are only as good as when Ben is on the field... so tired of him taking too many hits. Granted he is deadly when he escapes and makes something happen, but there is also a double sided sword to that. I really like the way the offense is going.

Once we get closer to the playoffs and into the playoffs... defenses will adjust and start to play us closer to account for the dink and dunk, then we can gash them with Wallace (and AB and Sanders) deep (b/c our OL will/is improving week in and week out). Then the defenses wont know how to stop us...

"chuck and duck"
btw... that is classic!

SnakeEyes43
11-02-2012, 10:29 AM
I love the fact that we are a balanced offensive attack now. I don't miss the long ball at all really, it was exciting, but I much prefer the way our offense is running now.

Rhyno
11-02-2012, 10:49 AM
I love the new offense. At first, I absolutely hated it because we weren't getting the deep shots down field to Wallace like we used to but now I really am getting used to it. The new offense is keeping Ben off the ground and that will extend his career by years. Another great thing is the time of possession. I can't remember a Steelers team in recent memory that has been able to take control of the TOP like this team, and its all because of this offense. It also gets Heath involved a lot more and you can't go wrong there, the man is an absolute beast.

Agree with this post 100 percent. I absolutely love the new offense and I think it is just going to get better and better. I do not miss the long ball at all, but I have a feeling we are going to start seeing more of it as this offense evolves.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-02-2012, 12:06 PM
The change needed to be made at OC and Haley is a very smart OC....But the BA roasting still cracks me up....BA did do some good things as Steelers OC....Under Whiz Ben couldn't even audible but BA allowed Ben to take the next step as an NFL QB.....Like letting Ben running the no huddle.............

What I like really the most about Todd Haley is he is willing to adjust and not be so stubborn as BA.......I think that was BA's biggest fault was being to stubborn and having to much of a buddy relationship with Ben........I don't care if Ben and Haley are best buds but just as long they can coexist with each other...........