PDA

View Full Version : Rothlisberger with a sackless game?

Steeler4life
10-28-2012, 04:20 PM
OK, I am too lazy right now to look it up but unless I missed something, BB wasn't sacked today? If that is the case, has he ever had a game where he didn't take a sack??

Starting to feel real comfortable with the offensive style Haley is using. :)

jpele
10-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Ben can cry about the dink and dunk all he wants but it works , I'm not sure about the sack total but I'll bet this is the fewest he's been sacked in his career

BlitzburghRockCity
10-28-2012, 05:17 PM
Correct, Ben was not sacked today. The Redskins did register one though, against Sanders on that trick play.

Dink and Dunk, whatever you want to call it I agree with jpele, it's working and Ben's jersey is staying much cleaner.

scudmissile29
10-28-2012, 05:17 PM
steelers gave up one sack -- on Emmanuel Sanders

Roethlisberger didn't take a sack

2004 10/10 W 34-23 vs Cleveland
2004 10/31 W 34-20 vs Cheatriots
2004 12/16 W 20-07 vs Baltimore
2005 09/11 W 34-07 vs Tennessee
2005 12/11 W 21-09 vs Chicago
2006 12/07 W 27-07 vs Cleveland
2007 12/02 W 24-10 vs Cincinnati
2008 10/19 W 38-10 vs Cincinnati
2008 11/20 W 27-10 vs Cincinnati
2008 12/28 W 31-00 vs Cleveland
2010 10/17 W 28-10 vs Cleveland
2010 01/02 W 41-09 vs Cleveland
2012 10/07 W 16-14 vs Philadelphia
2012 10/28 W 27-12 vs Washington

Yep, you do the math = When Ben Roethlisberger doesn't get sacked, the Pittsburgh Steelers don't lose.

Troyisabeast_43
10-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Ben has only been sacked 13 times so far through 7 games this season that is flat out spectacular compared to what has gone on in the past. Keeping Ben clean as you mentioned above is going to lead to a ton more wins as we move forward here this season...

Steeler4life
10-28-2012, 06:04 PM
14 sackless games in his 8+ years. Wow, I am loving dink, dunk, dork, whatever. Agreed Blitz. Thanks Flame for the stats.

scudmissile29
10-28-2012, 06:28 PM
Np, I just looked through nfl.com stat season logs.

Farrior Fan
10-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Our offense could be incredible in 2 years if our young Oline matures well and we can retain all elements of the money crew.

Big T
10-28-2012, 07:00 PM
Ben has only been sacked 13 times so far through 7 games this season that is flat out spectacular compared to what has gone on in the past. Keeping Ben clean as you mentioned above is going to lead to a ton more wins as we move forward here this season...

With 5 of those 13 in week 1, and 3 of those 5 being gimme/garbage time sacks when there was a minute left in the game.

Rhyno
10-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Ben can bitch and moan all he wants about the "Dink and Dunk" style Haley has brought to the organization (Ahough, I wish he would just keep his mouth shut.) But, you can guarantee the Rooneys are more than pleased with the way it is protecting their huge investment/quarterback and they way it seems to be getting better and better as the season goes on.

Raleigh Steel
10-28-2012, 08:47 PM
I'm not sure he was bitching about the offense but comparing to BA's "big play" offense. He just labeled more of a dink dunk offense in comparison. The media is trying, TRYING to generate a rift between Ben and Haley and its rediculous!

That being said, Ben is on pace to have an MVP season, and the offense is wildly efficient over the crap we saw the last 5 years!

scudmissile29
10-28-2012, 08:49 PM
I hope Ben has 00 sacks in week 22

LatrobePA
10-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Ride the hot hand with Adams IMO!!

LarryNJ
10-28-2012, 09:03 PM
I'm not sure he was bitching about the offense but comparing to BA's "big play" offense. He just labeled more of a dink dunk offense in comparison. The media is trying, TRYING to generate a rift between Ben and Haley and its rediculous!

That being said, Ben is on pace to have an MVP season, and the offense is wildly efficient over the crap we saw the last 5 years!
I agree!

What do you feel is the main reason for the decrease in sacks?

Haley's game plan & play calling, Ben playing smarter and getting rid of the ball quicker or the O line play?

I'd put them in the order I mentioned.

Rhyno
10-28-2012, 09:50 PM

You could be exactly right about what Ben meant with the "dink and dunk" comment. And you are definitely correct about the media (They are rabid bloodsuckers). However, when he says things like "dink and dunk" and talks about how he wasn't using the new plays, reverting to the old ones, he is playing right into their hands - helping to perpetuate the "rift" story. He knows this. He is no dummy. I do doubt if Brown, Miller, or Dwyer would label the offense "dink and dunk."

steelersbabex25
10-28-2012, 10:14 PM
I agree!

What do you feel is the main reason for the decrease in sacks?

Haley's game plan & play calling, Ben playing smarter and getting rid of the ball quicker or the O line play?

I'd put them in the order I mentioned.

I'd say it's equally divided between everything. Offensive line has (for the most part) been playing better, Ben has been able to feel the pressure and isn't really taking any hits that he didn't see coming, and Haley's offense has been working well to get the ball out of Ben's hands quicker than BA's did.

Real Deal Steel
10-29-2012, 12:40 AM
OK, I am too lazy right now to look it up but unless I missed something, BB wasn't sacked today? If that is the case, has he ever had a game where he didn't take a sack??

Starting to feel real comfortable with the offensive style Haley is using. :)

It's also having a running game. They can't come after the QB as furious if you are forced to respect the running game.

Real Deal Steel
10-29-2012, 12:43 AM
Yep...

Agree with the masses in here. Ben getting the ball out of his hands as fast as possible is a good thing. Being patient, taking what the defense gives you, and then occasionally hitting them deep to keep them from crowding the middle is working for us.

And Jonathan Dwyer. Hi Big T..the Dwyer basher. :)

Real Deal Steel
10-29-2012, 12:44 AM
Ride the hot hand with Adams IMO!!

Adams is doing well. Next week is his big test against JPP of the Giants.

Big T
10-29-2012, 12:47 AM
Yep...

Agree with the masses in here. Ben getting the ball out of his hands as fast as possible is a good thing. Being patient, taking what the defense gives you, and then occasionally hitting them deep to keep them from crowding the middle is working for us.

And Jonathan Dwyer. Hi Big T..the Dwyer basher. :)

Again, instead of pulling **** out of your ***, go look through all my posts. You won't find a single post of me bashing Dwyer. Not one. You'll only find one instance where I disagreed with you saying that Dwyer is more talented than Mendenhall. I guess that's what qualifies as "bashing" these days.

Real Deal Steel
10-29-2012, 12:52 AM
Big T

You said Mendy was better then Dwyer. I told you that once Dwyer got a chance, Mendy would be on the back burner. And now it's coming to fruition. You know you said it Big T. It's all good dude. I'm just not going to let you slide on this just like I didn't let you slide on the Mike Wallace/A. Brown debate.

Real Deal Steel
10-29-2012, 12:55 AM
And bashing is when a guy keeps saying it over and over like I'm doing you right now. You repeated it over and over, sighting various, meaningless statistics to support your claim on Mendy. When Dwyer didn't have enough carries to make a fair comparison. Now, Dwyer is getting the carries and he's eye popping to all but a select few of us.

I've been waiting for Dwyer to be healthy for this and now you have to eat the crow dude. Love Dwyer baby. Love him over Mendy and then it's all good. LOL :)

Big T
10-29-2012, 01:00 AM
Of course I said it. I'm not denying that. I still believe Mendenhall is the better back. You prefer Dwyer and that's your right, just as I prefer Mendenhall. I'm a Dwyer fan and he's playing well which is helping the team, I'm just not going to crown him king after two games like you've done.

scudmissile29
10-29-2012, 07:26 AM
Big T

You said Mendy was better then Dwyer. I told you that once Dwyer got a chance, Mendy would be on the back burner. And now it's coming to fruition. You know you said it Big T. It's all good dude. I'm just not going to let you slide on this just like I didn't let you slide on the Mike Wallace/A. Brown debate.

You must supply evidence with your accusations.

Then us, the crowd can see for it.

I could say someone else bashed Dwyer but I could make the **** up.

Let's get to the bottom of this.

Anyway I prefer Dwyer to Blount, others on draft way were vise versa.

Nolrog
10-29-2012, 09:04 AM
Ben is having a fantastic year under the "dink and dunk" offense.

Big T
10-29-2012, 11:21 AM
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said everyone is making a big deal of him calling Todd Haley's offense "dink and dunk." He even joked about the term with the Pittsburgh offensive coordinator.

"That's not a negative," Roethlisberger told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "Todd and I talked about it. We laughed about it. That is not a bad thing. We want to possess the ball and be a balanced offense. I think we're doing that right now."

The Steelers took the dink-and-dunk philosophy to the extreme Sunday against the Redskins. Roethlisberger’s average pass traveled 4.8 yards downfield Sunday, his lowest average pass distance over the past five seasons, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Roethlisberger was effective on short passes, completing 21-of-28 passes (75.0 percent) thrown 10 yards or fewer downfield, including all three of his touchdowns. This was a surprising strategy against a Redskins pass defense that had allowed 29 completions for more than 20 yards this season (tied for second worst in the NFL).

This short passing game has been a key factor in the Steelers controlling the ball. Pittsburgh had three scoring drives that ate up 19 minutes, which is over a full quarter. The Steelers rank second in the NFL in time of possession, averaging 34 minutes, 35 seconds per game.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=afcnorth&id=57910

steelchamp204
10-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Relax people.