PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Dwyer with back to back 100 yd games

BlitzburghRockCity
10-28-2012, 04:52 PM
First time in 4 years a Steelers running back has done that. Hard to imagine, but Willie Parker was the last one to do it.

So is he now the starter over Mendenhall, whenever he comes back? If not then you have to at least give him the #2 job over Redman.

steelersbabex25
10-28-2012, 04:56 PM
I love this man with all my heart.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Tomlin refused to admit Dwyer will be the starter. "we'll see this week". He was pressed twice by a reporter and dodged the question.

Steeler4life
10-28-2012, 05:17 PM
Logically I am holding my judgement. Emotionally, it's has been like watching the Bus with a different number to a degree the last two weeks thus I want him to be the starter. Overall, Yes, I believe he deserves the #2 spot, at least when Mendy comes back and if he produces better then Mendy, everything up for grabs.

IMO the running game the last two weeks has been a large part in the difference the last two weeks, along with better play from the D.

jpele
10-28-2012, 05:18 PM
If I make the call, Dwyer starts til he falters. Mendy will be a nice change of pace, I wANT THE BEST Plyer on the fiels not the fan or coaches favorite.

LevonKirkland99
10-28-2012, 05:24 PM
He is very impressive....mendenhall gets injured way too much

Stairwayto7
10-28-2012, 08:03 PM
First time in 4 years a Steelers running back has done that. Hard to imagine, but Willie Parker was the last one to do it.

So is he now the starter over Mendenhall, whenever he comes back? If not then you have to at least give him the #2 job over Redman.

I agree, at very least #2....when Redman comes back is Batch gone? Then when Mendy comes back who is gone?

LarryNJ
10-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Mendy & Dwyer is a very good 1-2 or 2-1 punch. I'll take it either way.

LatrobePA
10-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Mendy & Dwyer is a very good 1-2 or 2-1 punch. I'll take it either way.

Right, just like taking Adams out would be a huge mistake! We all know Mendy is the starter but Dwyer is setting the bar high!

cbrunn
10-28-2012, 09:22 PM
Mendy gone after the season save the cap room ... Dwyer and Rainey is a very good 1-2 punch

LatrobePA
10-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Mendy gone after the season save the cap room ... Dwyer and Rainey is a very good 1-2 punch

Not really, Rainey isn't an NFL back on a regular basis.. But that's just my opinion..

scudmissile29
10-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Rainey would get devoured by the Ratbirds LB's and Dline if we use him as a 1-2 punch.

cbrunn
10-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Not like Rainey will get 15 carriers ... all you need is a running back to have around 20 carries a game ... Dwyer gets 15+ and give Rainey the ball like 5 times a game ...

Rainey got to touch the ball around 5+ times a game because he big play potential ... and don't Rainey have a Goal Line TD this year? and just got a short yardage first down this game ... he can handle more then you guys probably give him credit for

Troyisabeast_43
10-28-2012, 09:51 PM
I think you have to continue to start him and he has earned the right to be the number 1 running back until further notice. How in the hell is Tomlin going to justify not starting Dwyer seeing how awesome he has run the ball the last 2 weeks. Simple answer to that question?? He cant and if he doesnt start Dwyer for the foreseeable future Tomlin is a complete moron...

jpele
10-28-2012, 10:29 PM
Don't if it will catch on but Hines Ward nicked named Dwyer "the minivan" .

CowherPower
10-29-2012, 12:43 AM
If I make the call, Dwyer starts til he falters. Mendy will be a nice change of pace, I wANT THE BEST Plyer on the fiels not the fan or coaches favorite.

This!

No more allegiance to veterans. Play the best player until he shows he can't handle it. JD has the hot hand now so keep him in there.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Real Deal Steel
10-29-2012, 01:20 AM
Big T...............WHERE IS BIG T?????????????

I told you last year that when Dwyer gets his weight down, that he would be the man on this team and you hammered me!! I have been watching Dwyer since his early days at Georgia Tech and I knew he'd be the man. And I said when he got drafted, that he would be better then Mendenhall.

Dwyer is just who I thought he was when we drafted him.He's a beast. A load. And if you don't see the resemblance he has to Bettis's running style then you need glasses.

Big T
10-29-2012, 01:37 AM
Hammered you? You're being a little dramatic. You said that Dwyer is the most talented running back on the roster and that is what I disagreed with. I've always, ALWAYS liked Dwyer. I've always wanted him to be the #2 over Redman. **** before the 2010 draft, K Train and I had a conversation about the Steelers potentially drafting him in the 1st round before his weight issues and all that **** that caused him to drop (either Thunder and Lightening with CJ Spiller and Mendenhall or Thunder and Earthquake with Mendenhall and Dwyer). I absolutely loved picking him in the 6th.

If anyone ever has the time (which would be incredibly unlikely lol), go through my posts. Don't just take my word for it. But let's be rational here, no one can say that he's better than Mendenhall after 2 games. Be reasonable.

And the comment about Dwyer's weight... Have you seen him? He's still fat as **** lol.

Real Deal Steel
10-29-2012, 01:50 AM
Of course I said Dwyer is more talented then Mendenhall. And I stand by that now. Dwyer hits the hole with no dancing. Dwyer runs through arm tackles. And Dwyer isn't laying the ball on the carpet at critical junctures in games. Dwyer is the most talented back on the team. Oh..and Dwyer weight is fine. Stop grasping at straws and just give it up to Dwyer man! :)

Yes..you did support Dwyer over Redman but not over Mendy. And I told you last year that once Dwyer gets a chance to show his stuff, Mendy would be on the back burner. And it's happening.

Big T
10-29-2012, 01:53 AM
I've given Dwyer his props. He's played extremely well and that's great. And I'm not grasping at any straws. For Dwyer to reach his potential he still needs to lose some weight around that mid section. I just want him to do some more sit ups lol.

Real Deal Steel
10-29-2012, 01:57 AM
Yeah..like Jerome Bettis needed to lose some weight huh? Stop grasping at straws. LOL

Dwyer was noted in camp for being "in shape". It was well documented. So stop it. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Real Deal Steel
10-29-2012, 01:58 AM
He's in the shape the coaching staff wants. Obviously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hahahahahahahahaha

Big T
10-29-2012, 02:07 AM
Come on now. You're making yourself look foolish now.

NorCalSteel
10-29-2012, 04:05 AM
First RB with back to back 100 yard games in years his shape is just fine!!! hope we see allot more of it.

coldrolled
10-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Are we all forgetting about Will Johnson? A TD and some nice blocking and catching from our FB!!!!!

LatrobePA
10-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Are we all forgetting about Will Johnson? A TD and some nice blocking and catching from our FB!!!!!

He's doing some really nice things.

KemoTherapy
10-29-2012, 04:02 PM
I still think JD would be more effective and explosive if he dropped 10 lbs. He's getting 10-15 yds past the line of scrimmage but then getting run down.

scudmissile29
10-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Big T...............WHERE IS BIG T?????????????

I told you last year that when Dwyer gets his weight down, that he would be the man on this team and you hammered me!! I have been watching Dwyer since his early days at Georgia Tech and I knew he'd be the man. And I said when he got drafted, that he would be better then Mendenhall.

Dwyer is just who I thought he was when we drafted him.He's a beast. A load. And if you don't see the resemblance he has to Bettis's running style then you need glasses.

LOL! Turning personal

LatrobePA
10-29-2012, 04:22 PM
I still think JD would be more effective and explosive if he dropped 10 lbs. He's getting 10-15 yds past the line of scrimmage but then getting run down.

If someone gave you a dollar would you ask for two? Come on man quit nitpicking!

scudmissile29
10-29-2012, 04:23 PM
http://www.tigerrag.com/wp-content/uploads/dwyer_jonathan.jpg

what happened to this dwyer? Looks much better shape.

Real Deal Steel
10-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Come on now. You're making yourself look foolish now.

Not really. Your making yourself look foolish by not just giving it up to Dwyer without all the disqualifying side notes about his weight. You were flat out wrong.

Real Deal Steel
10-29-2012, 05:14 PM
http://www.tigerrag.com/wp-content/uploads/dwyer_jonathan.jpg

what happened to this dwyer? Looks much better shape.

I can go get you a picture of Jerome Bettis at Notre Dame and he'd be in better shape too then they one we had. Bettis got ran down a lot too. Doesn't mean he wasn't a great runningback. You guys think if a guy can't go the distance, he isn't that great a runningback.

Real Deal Steel
10-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Dwyer is a physical back who gives the whole team a physical identity. The team looks and acts tougher the last two games. It's no coincidence.

Big T...give it up. No disqualifying remarks afterwards. Just give it up.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-29-2012, 05:54 PM
I think Dwyer should remain the starter unless he just craps the bed in the next few weeks....Feed the hot hand.....I don't think anybody ever really questioned Dwyer as a player but some of us just wanted to see him actually prove it on the field first.....He was looked at as a late first or early 2nd round pick potentially..........

I really liked Rashard Mendenhall coming out of Illinois but I don't know what happened since he hasn't turned out to be the player I thought he would be....He still has been a solid player but not RB that I thought he would be.......I don't think he will be back next year......

LatrobePA
10-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Dwyer is a physical back who gives the whole team a physical identity. The team looks and acts tougher the last two games. It's no coincidence.

Big T...give it up. No disqualifying remarks afterwards. Just give it up.

Colon and Adams add some attitude as well as Pouncey, Dwyer feeds off of it!

Real Deal Steel
10-29-2012, 06:50 PM
If you think their starting to develope a tough/nasty attitude now, wait until the nasty man himself (Decastro) joins in!

steelchamp204
10-29-2012, 07:39 PM
I think once Decastro comes back. We will see the old Steelers offense in a way. I look for whoever is the number 1 guy to get about 20+ carries a game. The line right now is getting that nastiness to them. We all know Olinemen love the run the ball whenever they can. I think Haley jst wants to see what type of run game we will have. With Dwyer putting up back to back 100 yard games. I think we will run a little more.

scudmissile29
10-29-2012, 09:37 PM
comrade real deal steel,

I wasn't dissing on Dwyer's photo. He just looked a lot leaner, he looked very fat (not a bad thing as they couldn't bring him down lol) against the Redskins.

A fast type Willie Parker size back with him would be a good combo.

Real Deal Steel
10-30-2012, 12:09 AM
A fast type Willie Parker size back with him would be a good combo.

We've got one of those. His name is Rainey. Ever hear of him? :)

TarlsQtr
10-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Yikes.

Dwyer looks great and should start for now. That said, stating unequivocally that he is the best of the three backs after a couple of 100 yard games is a little over the top. The OL is playing MUCH better than it did earlier in the season when Redman was getting more carries and Mendy also had a very good game when he came back. If you want to doubt the impact of an OL playing well, just look at Carolina where they have two very good backs but cannot get either of them more than 50 yards. Dwyer may end up being the best of the bunch (and is right now) but you just do not have enough data to compare him to the Bettis or Willie Parker. Heck, he should not even be compared to Merrill Hoge yet.

Real Deal Steel
10-30-2012, 01:58 PM
I hear ya, but I disagree with you.

Because I've been watching this kid since his Georgia Tech days. I knew his skill set coming into the league. And his skill set is (was) superiors to Mendy's.

1. Dwyer hits the hole..Mendy dances and studder steps
2. Dwyer runs through arms that reach out for him...........Mendy gets pulled down by fist tackles
3. Dwyer doesn't have negative carries....Mendy studders, dances and gets tackled for losses
4. Dwyer doesn't fumble....Mendy fumbles at the most inopportune times

The only thing that Mendy does have that is better then Dwyer is the straight speed. But that isn't enough to make him a better back then Dwyer.

Prediction: Mendy won't be resigned next year because of the emergence of Dwyer. That will prove who management feels is the best runningback.

cmerrifield
10-30-2012, 02:13 PM

Because I've been watching this kid since his Georgia Tech days. I knew his skill set coming into the league. And his skill set is (was) superiors to Mendy's.

2. Dwyer runs through arms that reach out for him...........Mendy gets pulled down by fist tackles
3. Dwyer doesn't have negative carries....Mendy studders, dances and gets tackled for losses

The only thing that Mendy does have that is better then Dwyer is the straight speed. But that isn't enough to make him a better back then Dwyer.

Prediction: Mendy won't be resigned next year because of the emergence of Dwyer. That will prove who management feels is the best runningback.

A running back in the NFL has to do more than run the ball. So even if Dwyer is better, I don't think he is at running the ball, Mendy is better at picking up blitzes and catching out of the backfield. Mendy is the more complete back.

sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk 2

Big T
10-31-2012, 12:18 PM
Obviously Dwyer can get the job done in the shape he's in now, I just wish he was more in the shape he was at GT. He could run people over, and wouldn't get run down in open space. Now when he's got a clear shot someone is gonna run him down. Maybe it's nitpicking, but I just want Dwyer to be as good as he potentially can be, and I feel like he could be if he trimmed down a bit. That's all I was saying. The man can play, but he'd be better if he wasn't so fat lol.

ChucktownSteeler
10-31-2012, 07:14 PM
The best player plays. 'Nuff said.

Dwyer has earned the start.

C-town

Real Deal Steel
10-31-2012, 08:46 PM
Obviously Dwyer can get the job done in the shape he's in now, I just wish he was more in the shape he was at GT. He could run people over, and wouldn't get run down in open space. Now when he's got a clear shot someone is gonna run him down. Maybe it's nitpicking, but I just want Dwyer to be as good as he potentially can be, and I feel like he could be if he trimmed down a bit. That's all I was saying. The man can play, but he'd be better if he wasn't so fat lol.

Point taken my friend. :)

You know, I wish he'd see the video of Walter Payton's workouts. Those videos were so good that Jerry Rice took on the same training regime as Payton. Need I say more?

It's kinda hard seeing the Front Office paying Mendy big bucks now with the emergence of Dwyer.

Real Deal Steel
10-31-2012, 08:49 PM
A running back in the NFL has to do more than run the ball. So even if Dwyer is better, I don't think he is at running the ball, Mendy is better at picking up blitzes and catching out of the backfield. Mendy is the more complete back.

sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk 2

I hear what your saying. But picking up blitzers and catching out of the backfield can be learned. Dwyer has the better body to handle blitzer. And Dwyer has only caught a couple of balls so I don't see a lack of proficiency in that either.

Mendy is in trouble as far as being the future starter at the runningback position. Dwyer is better.

TarlsQtr
11-02-2012, 01:29 PM

Mendy was almost definitely going to be gone after this year no matter what happened.

Real Deal Steel
11-02-2012, 03:04 PM
BIG NEWS

Dwyer couldn't practice today and it is being reported the Redman will get the start. If we can't run the ball effectively, we will be in a whole lot of trouble. Especially Ben.

JPP is going to be all over Ben if we can't keep that D-line honest.

SnakeEyes43
11-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Dwyer is doubtful anyway, so he probably won't have a big impact this week, if he even plays.

tburg68
11-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Mendy & Dwyer both out according to Twitter. Put Rainey in and pass every down.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-02-2012, 06:39 PM
I said in the past that Rashard Mendenhall wouldn't receive contract number 2 from the Steelers and I still stick by that.....The RB position is so devalued in the NFL today.....Unless you have an Arian Foster or Adrian Peterson type RB......The Steelers have Dwyer, Redman, Rainey........Let Mendenhall walk and just bring in another RB into the fold with a late round pick.........Sucks Dwyer is out for Sunday since I was looking forward to see if he could put up three consecutive games with 100 yards......But I do think Redman will have a nice game vs the Giants....He is the type of RB that can have success against the Giants defense....Just hit the hole and plow forward.......Redman 60 yds on the ground and 30 receiving with a TD.......

Blazedby92
11-02-2012, 06:42 PM
What he said ^^^^

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

ChucktownSteeler
11-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Unless Mendy wants a fair contract, let 'em walk. I wouldn't over pay him a bit. RB is an easier position to fill.

LatrobePA
11-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Okay Redman time to shine!