PDA

View Full Version : Defensive studs? Do we have any anymore?

Stone
10-24-2012, 01:33 PM
I posted in another thread that it's been a while since Troy was an impact and I started thinking...."when was the last time a defensive player had an awesome three or four game stretch?"

Woodley had a great game last week and I remember Timmons having a great game a couple weeks ago but the last real run of studliness, that I can remember, on this defense was Harrison two years ago.

Can you guys recall an outstanding stretch of games by one of the guys on D?

Big T
10-24-2012, 01:49 PM
Before Woodley pulled that Hamstring against NE last year, he was having a DPOY type of year. In the 4-game stretch alone when Harrison was out with his broken orbital bone, he had multiple sacks in each game, an INT, and a forced intentional grounding in the endzone for a safety. The man was possessed. I'm convinced that had he not pulled his hamstring in the game against NE, he would've been a serious DPOY candidate. He had 9 sacks in the first 8 games of the season, pulled his hammy week 8, and only appeared in 2 more games.

LatrobePA
10-24-2012, 01:54 PM
McClendon <sp> is a beast IMO but never sees the field!

Big T
10-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Ike Taylor had a great stretch of games last season as well. He was great all year though. Last season Ike gave up 40 catches on 96 attempts, a 41.7 percent completion percentage against him. that was second only to Darrelle Revis who's completion percentage against him was 41.2, but with 11 less balls (85) thrown his way. Third place last season was Brent Grimes with 44.6&#37; completion percentage, but he had 40 less balls thrown his way than Ike...40.

I know Ike didn't blow up any stat sheets, but he kept opposing WRs practically completely off them.

JensK
10-24-2012, 02:07 PM
It has been a while since we've brought in a young guy who just turned out to be a stud. Woodley had that great stretch last year, and have been very very good for his time with us, but aside from him I don't recall any young player on defense making a difference. Like, we never really hit the JJ Watts or the JJPs and those kind of players. One who just really excites you and lifts the team. In other words, its been a while since we've had any young playmakers.

CowherPower
10-24-2012, 10:42 PM
I was really hoping this would be the year for Timmons. After flip flopping between inside and outside last season this was going to be a big year for him. When he's rushing the passer and flying through the line after the running back, and he really is special to watch.

Ryan Clark is quietly having himself a good year, and clearly the most consistent player on defense so far.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

connecticutsteel
10-25-2012, 12:10 AM
The stud would have been Sean Spence

ChucktownSteeler
10-25-2012, 07:10 AM
The stud would have been Sean Spence

You may be right, unfortunately we may never know.

I hope to see the Steelers dabble in FA a bit this off-season (on the defensive side of the ball). We have too many holes to fill by the draft.

Real Deal Steel
10-25-2012, 09:21 AM
You may be right, unfortunately we may never know.

I hope to see the Steelers dabble in FA a bit this off-season (on the defensive side of the ball). We have too many holes to fill by the draft.

What your saying is logical. So Colbert won't do it. With a solid draft and just a couple of additions from free agency, we could be right where we want to be. A logical GM would know that while we have a franchise QB in his prime, you must maximize the time you have him.

I'm not saying go out and break the bank in free agency. I"m just saying that we need to use it for a couple of key spots and then make better selections in the draft, and we would be a really good team.

SnakeEyes43
10-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Timmons and Clark are playing pretty good. Foote is having a decent year, and Lewis has shown promise here and there.

scudmissile29
10-25-2012, 02:30 PM
sean spence will be a great player, once he comes back from injury.

SnakeEyes43
10-25-2012, 07:23 PM

I sure hope so, but lets get a few games under his belt before we label him a stud NFL-caliber LB.

SteelerCountry58
10-25-2012, 08:14 PM
Woodley and Timmons are the closest things to "stud" status if they both play
like they are capable of playing. LOL @ Sean Spence. C'mon now.....:bonk:

ChucktownSteeler
10-25-2012, 09:59 PM
What your saying is logical. So Colbert won't do it. With a solid draft and just a couple of additions from free agency, we could be right where we want to be. A logical GM would know that while we have a franchise QB in his prime, you must maximize the time you have him.

I'm not saying go out and break the bank in free agency. I"m just saying that we need to use it for a couple of key spots and then make better selections in the draft, and we would be a really good team.

Agreed, we need to sign another Kevin Greene or James Farrior type, then add a proven safety. Fill the other defensive needs via the draft.

elephantman
10-25-2012, 10:16 PM

Really?? its possible, not very likely...and that was no mickey mouse injury, he F--ked up that leg ugly

Ryan Clark is having a great year, and nobody can complain about Foote giving the rather low expectation we had for him

Rhyno
10-25-2012, 10:30 PM
Ryan Clark is clearly the best player on the #2 ranked defense in the NFL. Stud.

SnakeEyes43
10-26-2012, 07:14 AM
Really?? its possible, not very likely...and that was no mickey mouse injury, he F--ked up that leg ugly

Very true, I've heard that some players never recover from an injury that severe. Hope that's not the case here.

scudmissile29
10-26-2012, 08:32 AM
I have hope, I think he'll come back from it.

threeriversguy
10-26-2012, 08:37 AM
Would like to see McClendon get more playing time. Hey we finally had a Hampton sighting with his FIRST tackle of the year.

Stone
10-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Would like to see McClendon get more playing time. Hey we finally had a Hampton sighting with his FIRST tackle of the year.

He just tripped and fell on the guy:lol:

scudmissile29
10-26-2012, 01:50 PM
I sure hope so, but lets get a few games under his belt before we label him a stud NFL-caliber LB.

wasn't calling him stud.

I did say "He will be" not "He is"