PDA

View Full Version : Should the Steelers put a spy on RGIII?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-24-2012, 11:11 AM
When you have a scrambling QB, sometimes it can be a good idea to put a linebacker spy on him. Basically just designate someone to follow RGIII around the entire game, wherever he goes so goes the spy. With III being so versatile, and being able to outrun many DB's in the league, they'll have to be careful.

The downside is, you of course leave yourself a man short in coverage, run defense or the pass rush so it's a double edged sword. Should the Steelers do this then it would likely be Timmons because he has good quickness and speed for a big linebacker. He's not going to outrun III but taking a good angle could at least slow him down and limit his effectiveness on the ground.

I've never really been a fan of the spy necessarily, but Lebeau might use it in certain situations where the entire playbook is open. You wouldn't necessarily need it on 3rd and 15 because that's a more obvious passing situation but perhaps on 2nd down it could effective.

steelchamp204
10-24-2012, 12:37 PM
They will put Timmons on him I believe to follow him around. We have to stick with the 3-4 defense because of Washingtons ability to run the ball (number 1 overall). If we get beat by RG3 passing, then hats off to him. I notice alot of his passes are around the middle of the field. I think the D will be ready.

LatrobePA
10-24-2012, 12:53 PM
They will put Timmons on him I believe to follow him around. We have to stick with the 3-4 defense because of Washingtons ability to run the ball (number 1 overall). If we get beat by RG3 passing, then hats off to him. I notice alot of his passes are around the middle of the field. I think the D will be ready.

That's what I was thinking..

Stone
10-24-2012, 01:16 PM
If everyone maintains their responsibility and resists the urge to cheat on him we should be okay.

Stone
10-24-2012, 01:18 PM
If everyone maintains their responsibility and resists the urge to cheat on him we should be okay.

A running QB should never beat a good defense..........do we have a good defense?

Real Deal Steel
10-24-2012, 05:17 PM
When you think about it,

We haven't been getting to the QB anyway. So with that said, if the guys just stay in their lanes then we should contain him for the most part. Bad part is that when you are concentrating so hard on lane integrity, your susceptible to the running game more then not.

Slug
10-24-2012, 07:24 PM
You don't have to spy Mr. Griffin. You're offense will be able to torch our atrocious secondary all day so any numbers he puts up are just window dressing for his ROTY award. :)

coldrolled
10-24-2012, 07:28 PM
woodley and harrison can spy.. they couldnt sack Dalton, probably better to wait on the ends for RGIII to scramble outside...

LatrobePA
10-24-2012, 08:06 PM
You don't have to spy Mr. Griffin. You're offense will be able to torch our atrocious secondary all day so any numbers he puts up are just window dressing for his ROTY award. :)

Your boys will be ready to play. Both teams will have good opportunity to torch the secondaries...

ChucktownSteeler
10-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Timmons

BlitzburghRockCity
10-24-2012, 10:21 PM
That's been a problem for this team this year in every loss. They over pursue and leave their gap responsibility. If you don't play gap sound RGIII will blow by you like you're not even there.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Steeldriven
10-24-2012, 10:24 PM
If the offense plays like it did in the 2nd half last rg3 won't be on the field enough to beat us.

cbrunn
10-24-2012, 10:27 PM

I don't think you can stay in the 3-4 ... don't the redskins play more of a college spread run option kind of offense?? ... If you leave the 3-4 in then you got real fast WR on LBs ...

You just have to play your gaps and trust your teammates ... like last year in the playoffs against Tebow, Harrison bit down the Line sooooo many times to give Tebow room outside to run or throw the ball...

STAY IN YOUR GAPS AND TRUST TEAMMATES and they'll be ok

that's my theme of the week instead of "Pay that Man" ... it's "Stay in Gaps and Trust Your Teammates"

SteelDad
10-25-2012, 01:46 PM
I think you'll see a similar defense to what you saw against Philly. Alfred Morris is not a bad back at all. Focus too much on RGIII and this kid will burn us. Hopefully LeBeau will allow Timmons to attack as he did against the Eagles rather than drop him 15 yards off every play.

Goodfrom55
10-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Keep contain on RGIII, keep him on the bench. Dominate TOP and no splash plays.

Real Deal Steel
10-25-2012, 07:45 PM
Keep contain on RGIII, keep him on the bench. Dominate TOP and no splash plays.

basically, your saying feature the running game.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-25-2012, 08:10 PM
The Steelers have been near the top in T.O.P. even when they have been pass happy......Even last year they won the T.O.P. battle.......

Stone
10-26-2012, 01:49 PM
The Steelers have been near the top in T.O.P. even when they have been pass happy......Even last year they won the T.O.P. battle.......

Remember the good old days when winning the TOP battle meant wining the game?

Welcome to the reai life video game called the NFL

HUNT4SEVEN
10-26-2012, 08:01 PM
We have to deal Successfully with that ZONE blocking garbage, and having Timmons on RG3 is a great ideal, plus changing the schemes a little will help, because we are going against Jim Hasslet and Shanahan who both know our defense well, and keep RGIII on the sidelines ( meaning clock killing drives), i think if we do what i stated we will win this game convincingly, i'm pumped let's go STEELERS...:tt02:

elephantman
10-26-2012, 08:19 PM
A running QB should never beat a good defense..........do we have a good defense?

Agree^ but RG seems better than the typical Running QB

but it's up to Big Ben, he needs the short passing game with 10+ play drives against a bad D that eat up the clock to frustrate them, not a shootout. 90 TD passes don't impress me like long drives do

Woodson_DownUnder
10-27-2012, 06:53 AM
T.O.P. drives MUST = Redzone high efficiency. A RGIII big play can wipe out all the hard work. Steelers Win will be more about the turnover count.

LevonKirkland99
10-27-2012, 07:48 AM
Shannahan uses RG3 in this college type offense. Look for a lot of running plays including RG3.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Agree^ but RG seems better than the typical Running QB

but it's up to Big Ben, he needs the short passing game with 10+ play drives against a bad D that eat up the clock to frustrate them, not a shootout. 90 TD passes don't impress me like long drives do

Ok long drives are fine but the offense needs to be flawless for long drives to happen....So many times again this season there are to many holding, false starts, have stalled drives....Plus to many dropped passes have killed drives as well this year......