PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Screens

nick5574
10-23-2012, 11:59 PM
After last year and the hatred we all had for bubble screens in BA's playbook they are surprisingly effective this year. Has anyone else noticed this? What are your thoughts on using this play more going forward? I believe it was a big factor in how wallace was targeted a league high 15 times.

Big T
10-24-2012, 12:09 AM
I never had an issue with bubble screens. The issue was with bubble screens to Hines Ward.

cmerrifield
10-24-2012, 08:40 AM
THIS
I never had an issue with bubble screens. The issue was with bubble screens to Hines Ward.

steelersbabex25
10-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Yeah, the bubble screens to AB work magic a lot of the time.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Bubble screens to Wallace, not so much. A slant pattern to Wallace, that would be money. AB, even Sanders and maybe Rainey can be very successful.

I've not been a fan of the bubble screens because AB used them so much people would telegraph them every week and they went nowhere. If they are used properly they can be effective.

nick5574
10-24-2012, 07:36 PM
I love the way they are being used now. I also love the way that heath is being used to block for them and is becoming a very key part to the new offense. Hopefully haley sticks around for a while i have always liked the guy.

Root4Stlrs
10-24-2012, 07:51 PM
I mean, seriously, I love Hines but bubble screens were not his forte. The cardinal rule of any organization - match the expectation or role to the person's talent. Put them in the right seat on the bus. That was BA's problem. He didn't play to his players' strengths.

ChucktownSteeler
10-24-2012, 09:55 PM
More diverse and unpredictable offense with faster weapons are helping out.

SteelDad
10-25-2012, 03:57 PM
One of the big differences is the design of the screens. Sometimes you'll see Ben look to the right and then immediately come back to the left. Other times a fake to a RB is involved or it's just a quick throw directly. Also getting Heath Miller out on point blocking has helped too.

scudmissile29
10-25-2012, 04:07 PM
ward was too slow for the bubble screens, need to be brown or wallace or sanders or rainey now lol

Black@Gold Forever32
10-25-2012, 05:53 PM
I think 15 of Ward's last 22 catches were bubble screens....lol I still hate how many bubble screens are called during the game.....Fine with a few but its still to many.....

Goodfrom55
10-25-2012, 07:27 PM
if down and distance warrant a bubble screen, then great, but they were run wayyyyyyyyyyy to much last season.

What they can do, or try to do is out of shotgun, run a bubble screen, but pump fake it, and then hit a slot receiver deep.

Farrior Fan
10-25-2012, 09:00 PM
I agree strongly with the last 2 posts. A quick screen is great to surprise a D, but when you run 10+ a game you are not setting up anything but 1 yard gains and the outside chance that a blitzing LB will get a pick 6.

86WARD
10-27-2012, 09:07 AM
One of the big differences is the design of the screens. Sometimes you'll see Ben look to the right and then immediately come back to the left. Other times a fake to a RB is involved or it's just a quick throw directly. Also getting Heath Miller out on point blocking has helped too.

This. They are flat out set up better and being thrown to the right personnel.