PDA

View Full Version : TIME TO DEMOTE ISAAC REDMAN ?

connecticutsteel
10-23-2012, 01:52 PM
With the emergence of Johnathan Dwyer whom possess more speed and better cutting ability the Steelers brass should consider this move.With Will Johnson on the roster and playing a big role in the offense Isaac is not needed as a starter.The Tandem of Dwyer/Mendenhall is much more formidable. What do you think ?

cmerrifield
10-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Tomlin said last year that Dwyer can run the ball. It was his pass protection and catching balls out of the backfield that kept him on the bench. I didn't really pay attention to his other skills Sunday, but if they gave improved, then yes.

sent from my Galaxy SIII using tapatalk 2

Heath83
10-23-2012, 02:08 PM
The way he played on Sunday, yes, he deserves a shot..... would like to see him do it for more than one game, before everyone states the ridiculous Bettis comparisons.

The bigger question is, what the hell happened to Redman?? Last year, he seemed to run with more power and determination. Now, he is in danger of falling further down on the depth chart.

K Train
10-23-2012, 02:21 PM
wow look at how the mighty redman has fallen out of favor :-)

LatrobePA
10-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Demote?? He was never good enough to be #2 at any point. Dwyer stuck his nose in there to pick up a blitzer, few more games under his belt he could be a great back..

Big T
10-23-2012, 02:29 PM

Shocking!

TEEMONT
10-23-2012, 02:30 PM
I knew people were gonna be all over Dwyer's (who I like btw) jock as soon as colinsworth said the word Bettis....

I was never a huge redman fan...if Dwyer can keep it up, Im fine with him being #3

BlitzburghRockCity
10-23-2012, 02:31 PM
I was thinking about this earlier today and was going to make a thread but you beat me to it..LOL. For the record I still think Redman is a good back, but he does seem to thrive more when he's not the #1 one guy.

So when Mendy gets back, do you go with him and Dwyer or let JD go back to the bench? Injuries are a part of the game and you can't just hand a job back to a veteran just because they are coming back from an injury that's kept them out of action.

The Steelers are not a team that has been too keen on the ideal of "what have you done for me lately". They have always been more of "you've done a lot in the past so we'll give you the benefit of the doubt". That's part of the reason we are having depth issues right now and not being able to replace older players.

If Dwyer has the hot hand then put him in there with Mendy and let the two go to work.

jpele
10-23-2012, 02:50 PM

I'm for whom ever gets the job done. As for Redman falling out of favor, we'll see what the coaching staff think.

Fan opinions usually don't carry much clout.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Speeed
10-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Throw some Rainey in there too. That sure will keep the opposition guessing.

With the emergence of Johnathan Dwyer whom possess more speed and better cutting ability the Steelers brass should consider this move.With Will Johnson on the roster and playing a big role in the offense Isaac is not needed as a starter.The Tandem of Dwyer/Mendenhall is much more formidable. What do you think ?

LatrobePA
10-23-2012, 03:53 PM
I knew people were gonna be all over Dwyer's (who I like btw) jock as soon as colinsworth said the word Bettis....

I was never a huge redman fan...if Dwyer can keep it up, Im fine with him being #3

It didn't take that doucher for me to like Dwyer, the kid sees the holes better and makes better decisions than Redman ever will..

connecticutsteel
10-23-2012, 04:43 PM

I personally was never really impressed by him ever I think they have cut RB's that were better than him i never could understand the facination with him he's not fast,he's not crafty or shifty.he will run in a hole right into the O-LINEMAN'S BACK

ALL OVER DWYER'S JOCK ?THIS ISN'T THE FIRST GAME HE DID WELL IN

Goodfrom55
10-23-2012, 04:48 PM
As long as whoever carries the rock, runs hard and doesn't turn it over, then it doesn't matter to me who is the primary back (Besides Mendenhall). I lean towards Dwyer because it seems like he has better feet and absolutely destroyed a blitzer the other night which allowed Ben to complete a pass on 3rd and a country mile.

Redman does seem to run harder when he is in a relief role vs when is the primary guy.

If healthy, Mendenhall is the man.

NorCalSteel
10-23-2012, 05:33 PM
I have always liked Dwyer over Redman, in the past every time the Steelers teased us with giving Dwyer the ball they didn't give it to him. He ran like a beast in preseason and made some great catches in games..then Tomlin benches him for 2 games because of a fumble(could of been injusry related)? wtf is that about..lol if that was the case they should have shot Mendenhall after the Superbowl..lol. as far as the bettis thing Collinsworth is a ****ing Idiot and always will be. once a bengal...you know the rest..

Blazedby92
10-23-2012, 06:01 PM
Looks like the Redman bandwagon isn't the only one losing in favor

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

steelersbabex25
10-23-2012, 06:22 PM
For the record (ahem, K Train) I still have not given up on Redman.

BLACKandGOLD
10-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Redman needs to be on the bench. I've never really seen what he brings to the team other than that power running we need on short yardage situations. I would love to see Dwyer get a really good look the rest of the year. Him and Mendenhall can share duties and I think they would be a great one, two punch.

Stairwayto7
10-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Whatever way they go we cant run to many backs in a game, I`ll all for resting them but alos know they get into a groove

ChucktownSteeler
10-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Redman is a situational RB, short yardage and goal line. Nothing more, nothing less.

SnakeEyes43
10-23-2012, 09:39 PM
For the record (ahem, K Train) I still have not given up on Redman.

I haven't either. I still like him as a situational back, like he played last year. Dwyer and Mendy need to get the majority of the reps, but I like Redman getting touches when we need a few tough yards.

K Train
10-23-2012, 10:53 PM

every Rb with a gut is bettis to collinsworth.

SteelCityKid5
10-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Redman is a better back-up. He isnt a feature back.

K Train
10-23-2012, 10:57 PM
It didn't take that doucher for me to like Dwyer, the kid sees the holes better and makes better decisions than Redman ever will..
its his speed from snap to handoff to line of scrimmage that really separates him from redman. redman has less explosion off the snap than casey hampton

I haven't either. I still like him as a situational back, like he played last year. Dwyer and Mendy need to get the majority of the reps, but I like Redman getting touches when we need a few tough yards.
he can break a few runs up the gut as a situational guy, hes best when hes spelling mendenhall...if redman is the starter they can play 7 in the box all day and still stop the run. hes a good pass blocker and receiver out of the backfield too, just no where near a starting RB

coldrolled
10-24-2012, 12:00 AM
Dwyer is a trained and groomed running back.. How many total yards in college??

He may have grown up now too.. he is what 22?

Plus, who else has over 120 yards a game as a starter this year for us.. Or even 100 yards?

Blazedby92
10-24-2012, 03:04 AM
Way to early to name this guy the savior, Mendy is the better back when he wants to be but of course people on this sight seem to be content on one game wonders when a player does good.

Bettis wannabe maybe

connecticutsteel
10-24-2012, 04:02 AM
Way to early to name this guy the savior, Mendy is the better back when he wants to be but of course people on this sight seem to be content on one game wonders when a player does good.

who are you talking about bettis wannabe ? Mendy savior?

Blazedby92
10-24-2012, 12:28 PM
who are you talking about bettis wannabe ? Mendy savior?

After one descent game people think Dywer is this great rb and mention bettis in the same sentence and it isn't even close. He has the skills to be good but not great

Raleigh Steel
10-24-2012, 12:45 PM
there is a big difference in saying dwyer is like bettis and dwyer reminds of bettis. nobody is jerome bettis, but the way dwyer was running sunday night made some think of bettis...let's not make mountains out of mole hills.

second, redman is a mythological figure. his story grew in his first training camp where is scored a few times during goal line drills. since then, folks have been clamoring for redman to get the ball more. but like chucktown said, he's a situational back, no more, no less. short yardage, inside the 10, that's when he should be given the ball...he's also shown signs of being able to catch the ball out of the backfield which is a plus.

but mendy is the starter...if healthy, he is the clear #1 choice on this team. dwyer is the clear #2, with redman, rainey, and batch as situational players.

Farrior Fan
10-25-2012, 09:03 PM
I WAS a big Redman fan. I still think he is ok to come in and spell our #1 and #2 backs for a few downs. When he is determined then he is very tough to bring down. But he just can't hit the holes like Mendy (1 game) and Dwyer have done so far this year.

KemoTherapy
10-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Just imagine what Dwyer could do if he was actually in shape. Judging by his spare tire and the fact that he seems to run out of steam after 10-15 yds, he's not. Even so he's miles shiftier than Redman (who I agree seems to fare better in a part time role).

86WARD
10-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Yes. Overdue.

LatrobePA
10-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Demote, bench, cut, send packing, given the pink slip, YES!!!

Farrior Fan
10-28-2012, 08:00 PM
Demote, bench, cut, send packing, given the pink slip, YES!!!

lol, but what if Dwyer goes down? I love the B Batch story, but the kid hasn't shown me much.

Big T
10-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Redman shouldn't be cut lol. He just needs to used the only way he can excel. 3rd and 1, ad situational 3rd downs. That's it. Mendenhall should be starting with Dwyer getting a fair share of carries.

LatrobePA
10-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Redman shouldn't be cut lol. He just needs to used the only way he can excel. 3rd and 1, ad situational 3rd downs. That's it. Mendenhall should be starting with Dwyer getting a fair share of carries.

I was joking but no way he comes back and Dwyer to the bench. That would be just wrong.

LarryNJ
10-28-2012, 10:07 PM
I was joking

After almost 9000 post we should know that 8000 of them have some sort of joke. It's easy to tell! :)

LatrobePA
10-28-2012, 10:10 PM
After almost 9000 post we should know that 8000 of them have some sort of joke. It's easy to tell! :)

Lol my wife gets sick of it! haaa

86WARD
10-28-2012, 11:38 PM

Love it. Been calling Dwyer's name since the end of last year!

SteelerCountry58
10-28-2012, 11:54 PM
I like what I'm seeing from Dwyer. One guy I would look at as the trade deadline approaches
is Steven Jackson from St. Louis. He's rumored to be available and might be had for a 3rd rd.
pick is what I heard earlier today. If thats the case then go get his ***. We did pretty well
with another Ram RB when we picked up Bettis. Just a thought.....